Declan Dalton was just eight when Fr O'Neill's won the All-Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Championship title in 2006. He doesn't remember much about the game, apart from his father being a selector.
Fast forward 14 years and Fr O'Neill's are back in the same spot: All-Ireland finalists. This time, the kid who watched on all those years ago, is the club's star player.
"It's actually in our club song about the picture in Croke Park on the wall," Dalton tells about the 2006 win.
Two players from 2006, Eoin Conway and Podge Butler, are still on the Fr O'Neill's panel. Butler played 60 minutes in the semi-final against Tooreen while Conway featured for 45.
These are great times for the club. They've won intermediate titles in recent years and an under-21 title last year.
"Our club's improving the whole time," Dalton says.
"We've a great underage structure. These are the goals, to get to these points in your career. It doesn't happen for some people but when it does, you've got to grab it.
"Winning is a mentality, I think. If you're winning, then you want to keep playing, you want to keep going. When you're losing, you're down in the sorrows - you don't want to be going out in bad weather on a Tuesday night when it's pissing rain. When you're winning, it's, 'Yeah, let's go training. Who cares?' If you keep that run going as long as possible, everyone buys into it."
Along with lining out for Fr O'Neill's, Dalton also plays for divisional side Imokilly. Under that banner, he's won the last three Cork SHC titles.
I actually had this conversation with someone a couple of weeks ago: I've six counties in three years, which is not even thought of [as a possibility].
For some people, they might only win one in their whole career. Six in three years, when I look back on it, maybe it hasn't sunk in what we've done. Maybe it'll sink in five years down the line. It'll be special looking back on it.
Dalton, now a star forward for club and divisional team, and a member of the Cork senior panel in recent years, began his hurling journey as a goalkeeper. He moved outfield for Fr O'Neill's at under-14 but played in goal for Imokilly until three years ago. The 22-year-old apprentice electrician made his senior Cork debut as goalkeeper in a Munster Hurling League game in 2017 but has played outfield for the county since.
Fr. O'Neill's and Cork Hurler Declan Dalton is pictured ahead of the AIB GAA All-Ireland Intermediate Club Hurling Championship Final where they face Tullaroan of Kilkenny on Saturday January 18th at Croke Park. Photo by David Fitzgerald/Sportsfile
"I made a decision then just to get fit, lose weight and kind of push onto being an outfield player which I wanted to be the whole time, but I couldn't," says Dalton.
"I had to work very hard to lose weight, get stronger, get fitter. I'm trying to catch up on everyone else who has it in their legs. If I can keep building, keep pushing on, hopefully, my career will pan out well.
"I'm practising frees the whole time. I'd be practising puck outs when I was in goals. Striking, in general, is a massive part of the game.
"I just give myself a goal. I might take 100 frees and want to score 95. I'd give myself a target behind the goals. If I change angles, I'd still give myself a target, 'Oh yeah, there's a tree behind the goals, I want to hit in bang in the middle of the tree'.
"That's the way that I look at things: If you keep pinging a small target, then your accuracy is going to get better because you're hitting a small target rather than a big one.
"If I am taking frees, I try to finish on a good one. I'd always hit another good one just to get me in a good mood going home."
Dalton hopes he and Fr O'Neill's teammate Ger Millerick will be involved with the Cork hurlers this year. Though, neither has had a phone call from new manager Kieran Kingston while their club campaign continues to roll.
For the moment, there's one focus.
"You'd love to write a new verse in the song!" he says. "Hopefully, on Saturday, that dream comes true."
AIB is in its 29th year sponsoring the GAA Club Championship and is delighted to continue to support the Junior, Intermediate and Senior Championships across football, hurling and camogie. For exclusive content and behind the scenes action throughout the AIB GAA and Camogie Club Championships follow AIB GAA on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
Top photo by Ein Noonan/Sportsfile
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020
- Edinburgh students claim they are losing weight and 'haven't eaten in days' - Edinburgh Live - September 29th, 2020
- Morning or Evening: Which is the Best Time to Exercise to Lose Weight? - News18 - September 29th, 2020
- Ideal weight for Indian men and women increased to 65-55kg: Here are a few tips to stay fit - Times Now - September 29th, 2020
- Doing intermittent fasting wrong could make you gain weight - Malay Mail - September 29th, 2020
- Tips to ditch post pregnancy weight without exercising - Times of India - September 29th, 2020
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestants Who Lost Weight on the Show - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 29th, 2020
- WEIGH TO GO: BELFAST PERSONAL TRAINER LAUNCHES ONLINE FITNESS BUSINESS - Love Belfast - September 29th, 2020
- The Incredible Journey of Jinh Yu Frey - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - September 29th, 2020
- Focus fitness journey on progress and laugh along the way | Molnar - Tallahassee Democrat - September 29th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020