Christine Thompson was so desperate to lose weight after a lifetime of anxiety over her size she begged her GP for help.
Heartbreakingly, it was while she was trying to get the help she needed to slim down that she was given the devastating news she had polycystic ovary syndrome and would never be able to have children.
Christine had always wanted to be a mum - but determined to make the most of her life she threw herself into her job of helping children with special needs.
One of her friends then inspired her to shed a massive four stone - and it helped her achieve her 'miracle' and become a mum.
In 2017 Christine took a pregnancy test and was overwhelmed when it showed she was expecting.
She is now the proud mum to two-year-old Tabatha.
The 37-year-old explained: "I was always chunky as a child, and remember aged eight asking my mum to take me to the doctor so I could get a diet.
"When I went I was told the usual thing eat lots of healthy food and youll be fine, but that didnt give me the answer I was looking for.
"I remember wearing size 14 clothes when I was in year 6, and at 49 that basically meant I felt spherical compared to my friends."
By the time she was a teenager Christine was bingeing on secret hoards of food like crisps, biscuits and chocolate.
She would also "double dip" meals by going to her grandmother's for tea and then coming home for her evening meal without telling her parents.
When she left school and started work at a printing company, Christine also started drinking.
She said: "I added big boozy sessions to my terrible diet, regularly downing 10 vodka and cokes in a night, as well as getting greasy takeaways before bed and fried breakfasts the next morning to help me cope with the hangovers."
It was then that she started struggling with depression and anxiety, all because of her body image.
Her GP prescribed anti-depressants but Christine was still struggling.
She said: "Id suffer panic attacks at the thought of being in public spaces, so when friends would call to ask where I was, Id invariably say I couldnt make it, or I just wouldnt answer my phone."
When she was 23 Christine started an animation course at university and was determined to lose weight.
He gave her some dietary advice and transferred her for a scan, where her polycystic ovary syndrome was discovered, which was the reason she was struggling to lose weight.
Christine said: "He then explained that because of my PCOS I wouldn't be able to have kids unless I had took tablets to regulate my menstrual cycle and then had IVF, which really wasnt something I wanted to consider so young.
"Even if I had the medication which had bad side effects my chances of conceiving were minimal.
"And if I delayed the treatment thered be even less chance of having kids, they said. It was just a ridiculous conversation, and I felt like my world was in pieces.
"I remember standing in the rain at the bus stop outside the GP surgery calling my mum with the news, tears rolling down my face.
"My right to be a woman was gone, and my depression spirally down and down."
After she finished university Christine moved back in with her parents and was given the devastating news that her parents had terminal cancer.
She said: "I had a complete breakdown, and pretty much stopped eating completely, going down to 11st, but I still wouldnt leave the house."
The turning point for Christine came when she got a job at a special needs school, which she loved.
She said: "If I couldnt be a mum, I could help these lovely kids find happiness, I thought.
"The sense of fulfilment and the other staff made me happy for the first time in living memory."
Then Christine bumped into a friend from school who had lost weight with WW, which used to be Weight Watchers.
Weight loss classes had never been something Christine had considered because of her anxiety but her pal reassured her if was relaxed and friendly, so she decided to give it a go.
She said: "It was like she said really open, honest and a safe place for me to talk about my feelings about food.
"I didnt buy any special foods, I just used a calculator and pointed everything, and it worked! I lost 4lbs in my first week and left my weigh-in skipping."
In less than a year Christine had shed four stone and felt "incredible inside and out".
She said: "I started having regular periods and came off anti-depressants for the first time in seven years.
"I even started exercising for the first time ever, and loved it.
"My panic attacks stopped completely and I was a social butterfly, always accepting invitations to head out to meet friends.
"I was dating and basically living the life I never thought Id have."
Then, in September 2017, Christine felt something wasn't right.
She had been able to stop taking the medication she had previously needed to help her PCOS, which had given her migraines.
Before she visited her GP she did a pregnancy test to rule it out and was stunned when it was positive.
Christine said: "I called my mum straight away with the amazing news, and she was sobbing with joy.
"Id spent years working with kids who came from tough, often loveless homes, wondering why I couldnt be a mum, and now this was it, my miracle had happened."
Even though she was a single mum Christine said her confidence was by now "sky high" and with support from her parents knew she could go it alone.
But there was another amazing surprise.
Christine said: "A good friend of mine called Ben was also there for me, and when I finally gave birth to Tabatha in March 2018 fighting fit and screaming like she should he said hed love to be her dad and my partner.
"Since then every single day is a blessing. Tabatha is a joy, my job is amazing, Im back to my goal weight after the pregnancy and Ben and I are even talking about trying to another.
"Ive since found out that losing weight really can help you conceive if you have PCOS, but nobody told me that before Id been stuck in this vicious circle of being miserable, eating more, not being able to have kids.
"I broke that cycle and have finally found true happiness as the mum I was told Id never be."
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020