Hypogonadism is a condition in which the body produces little or no sex hormones. Normally the sex glands known as gonads in the body produce sex hormones,testosterone and estrogen. In men the testes and in women the ovaries are the gonads.
The sex hormones produced by these glands are responsible for the sexual characteristics in men and women. They control testicular development, sperm production, growth of pubic hair and masculine features in men; and pubic hair, breast development, menstruation and feminine features in women. Hypogonadism or gonad deficiency in males results in low production of testosterone. It is also called as andropause.
Types Of Hypogonadism
The gonads produce sex hormones, but these gonads are controlled by thehypothalamus and the pituitary gland in the brain, which send messages to the glands to produce sex hormones. Based on this mechanism, hypogonadism can be mainly classified into:
Causes of Hypogonadism
The causes of hypogonadism depend on its types.
Causes Of Primary Hypogonadism
Causes Of Central Hypogonadism
Clinical Features of Hypogonadism
Clinical features may vary with sex and the age when the condition is detected.
In boys, the sexual characters like beard, muscle development and overall growth is affected. Symptoms commonly observed in men include:
In girls, menstruation is absent and sexual characters like breast development, growth and height is affected. Symptoms of hypogonadism commonly observed in women include:
Some symptoms related to central causes like brain tumors may be seen. For example, headache, vision disturbances or loss, hormone deficiency symptoms, milky discharges from the breast.
Diagnosis of Hypogonadism
The physician would initially perform
Clinical Examination This helps to detect sexual characters and their development, examine sex organs and breast development, body hair and muscle mass.
Hormone Tests These are done to detect hormone levels and determine the type and cause of the condition. These include
Other Tests May Include
Karyotype Test this may be helpful in finding any chromosomal defect.
Sometimes testicular tissue testing and testicular biopsy may be considered.
Pelvic Ultrasound This may be performed to identify any structural abnormality in ovaries or to detect PCOD.
MRI or CT Scan This may be considered to detect tumors or other abnormality in the brain or pituitary gland.
Treatment of Hypogonadism
The main aim of treatment is to provide the sex hormones that are lacking in the body, treat any other underlying cause and manage the existing symptoms. For boys and girls in the pre-pubertal age, treatment is given for appropriate commencement of puberty. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the mainstay of treatment.
Women are given replacement of estrogen and progesterone in the form of pill, skin patch. The exact treatment and type depends on the age and symptoms of the patient. Menstrual irregularities or infertility are treated with other hormones related to that function, in cases where positive outcomes can be expected.
Men can be given testosterone in the form of skin patch, gel, solution or injection, known as testosterone replacement therapy. Specific hormone treatment may be considered for triggering puberty or increasing sperm production depending on the symptoms.
Any underlying causes are treated appropriately. In case of pituitary gland tumors, medications, radiation therapy or surgery may be considered.
Prevention of Hypogonadism
All patients on HRT should follow the advice of their treating physician and need to be re-evaluated every 6 to 12 months. Lack of sex hormones can lead to other complaints like increased risk of heart disease and osteoporosis, due to thinning of bones. Consider taking vitamin, calcium or vitamin D supplements with medical advice.
For both men and women, it is important to maintain an ideal weight, consume a healthy balanced diet and exercise regularly to remain healthy and active.
Originally posted here:
Hypogonadism: Treatment, Causes, Clinical Features, Prevention
- Alcohol Consumption Linked to Lower Bone Formation Markers in Patients With HIV - Infectious Disease Advisor - March 23rd, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Expands Its Distribution Rights for Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) Point-of-Care Rapid Test to Canada and Mexico - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- FDA: Thousands of Deaths Associated With Drugs Given to 'Trans' Children - Catholic Citizens of Illinois - March 20th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Acceleration of U.S. Availability of COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Based on Updated FDA Policy - Yahoo Finance - March 18th, 2020
- CLARUS THERAPEUTICS ANNOUNCES FINANCING TO SUPPORT THE COMMERCIAL LAUNCH AND AVAILABILITY OF JATENZO (TESTOSTERONE UNDECANOATE) CAPSULES, CIII FOR THE... - March 16th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience's Coronavirus Rapid Test Featured on NBC and Fox News (VIDEOS): ''Englewood Company Says It Can Get COVID-19 Test Results in 2-10... - March 16th, 2020
- Long-term Opioid Use in Men Linked to Hypogonadism - Medscape - March 15th, 2020
- Alcohol Consumption Linked to Lower Bone Formation Markers in Patients With HIV - Endocrinology Advisor - March 15th, 2020
- Hypogonadism Linked to Higher Long-Term Opioid Doses - MedPage Today - March 7th, 2020
- 'A Magnet for Cancer': What We Heard This Week - MedPage Today - March 7th, 2020
- Jatenzo, an Oral Testosterone Replacement Therapy, Now Available - Renal and Urology News - February 24th, 2020
- Clarus Therapeutics Lauches JATENZO - Oral Testosterone Replacement Therapy - MedicalResearch.com - February 24th, 2020
- 6 Serious Health Conditions Linked To Erectile Dysfunction - The African Exponent - February 19th, 2020
- Jatenzo, an Oral Testosterone Replacement Therapy, Now Available - Monthly Prescribing Reference - February 12th, 2020
- Male Hypogonadism Therapy Market Size Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020- - News by aeresearch - February 12th, 2020
- Male Hypogonadism to Witness Growth Acceleration During 2018 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 12th, 2020
- Global Male Hypogonadism Market 2019 Comprehensive Study with On-Going Trends, Majors Players and Forecast 2025 - Global Newspaper - February 5th, 2020
- Mineral and Hormonal Dysfunction Associated With Lower BMD in Thalassemia Major - Endocrinology Advisor - February 3rd, 2020
- The Rape Case Against Nithyananda Should Be Dropped If They Had Sex, She Obviously Wanted It! - Frank Report - February 3rd, 2020
- Mineral, Hormonal Dysfunction Associated With Lower BMD in Thalassemia Major - Rheumatology Advisor - January 31st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market: Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2026) - NY Telecast 99 - January 31st, 2020
- Galactorrhea affects 24% women, not linked to breast cancer - The Sentinel Assam - January 31st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Company Business Overview, Sales, Revenue and Gross Margin(2013-2020), Recent Development 2025 -... - January 31st, 2020
- Galactorrhea affects 24% women, not linked to breast cancer - Outlook India - January 27th, 2020
- Emerging Clinical Tool Predicts Risk of Persistent Use of Opioids After Treatment in Patients With Cancer - Renal and Urology News - January 22nd, 2020
- Testosterone Therapy: What We Have Learned From Trials. - UroToday - January 21st, 2020
- Jayson Tatum, Celtics really bringing in the green at merchandise stand - The Boston Globe - January 21st, 2020
- NYU Langone Health Adds Three New Practices To Its Growing Ambulatory Care Network - P&T Community - January 21st, 2020
- NYU Langone Health Adds Three New Practices To Its Growing Ambulatory Care Network - Bend Bulletin - January 15th, 2020
- North America Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Expected to Generate a Value of US $4.7 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - January 13th, 2020
- Reproductive health: What is hypogonadism? Know the symptoms, causes, and prevention of the condition - Times Now - January 13th, 2020
- Male Hypogonadism Guidelines: Opt for IM Testosterone - MedPage Today - January 9th, 2020
- BLS Pharma Alleges Inovio's Breach of Contract Obstructed Ability to Deliver Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Hypogonadism and the Transgender... - January 9th, 2020
- Waist Circumference Affects Coronary Plaque Accumulation in Testosterone Therapy - Endocrinology Advisor - December 22nd, 2019
- Men who receive testosterone therapy nearly twice as likely to develop blood clots, researchers find - Minnesota Daily - December 13th, 2019
- Clarus Therapeutics Expands Executive Team in Preparation for Landmark Launch of JATENZO (testosterone undecanoate) Capsules CIII - GlobeNewswire - December 13th, 2019
- Get To Know Hosanna Plath, The 'Welcome To Plathville' Star And Accomplished Violinist - YourTango - December 13th, 2019
- Erectile dysfunction: When he's (not) in the mood for love - AsiaOne - December 4th, 2019
- Expanded U.S. NATETSO Partnership Between Acerus Pharmaceuticals and Aytu BioScience Is Now Fully Operational - Financial Post - December 4th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market : Global Competitive Analytics and Insights 2016 2024 - Downey Magazine - November 29th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Market to Expand at a Robust 4.20% CAGR Between 2016 and 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 25th, 2019
- Alex Nowbar's weekly review22 November 2019 - The BMJ - The BMJ - November 24th, 2019
- Global and Regional M2M Platform Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Breaking News Updates - November 24th, 2019
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) Market 2019 By Share, Size, industry Trends, Outlook, Revenue, Manufacturers, Demand and Forecast to 2024 - Downey... - November 22nd, 2019
- Northland Securities Begins Coverage on Aytu Bioscience (NASDAQ:AYTU) - TechNewsObserver - November 22nd, 2019
- Mereo BioPharma And Leflutrozole In Hypogonadotropic ... - October 11th, 2019
- Question about how VA rates Hypogonadism & so on ... - September 29th, 2019
- Hypogonadism | Encyclopedia.com - September 29th, 2019
- Male Hypogonadism - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment - September 29th, 2019
- Hypogonadism: 6 Natural Ways to Support Hormonal Treatment ... - September 19th, 2019
- Hypogonadism | California Center for Pituitary Disorders - April 13th, 2019
- hypogonadism | Definition, Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment ... - April 10th, 2019
- Male hypogonadism Disease Reference Guide - Drugs.com - March 27th, 2019
- Hypogonadism Causes + 6 Ways to Help Balance ... - Dr. Axe - March 8th, 2019
- OMIM Entry - # 241080 - WOODHOUSE-SAKATI SYNDROME - February 9th, 2019
- Male hypogonadism - You and Your Hormones - November 16th, 2018
- Low Testosterone (Male Hypogonadism) | Cleveland Clinic - October 10th, 2018
- Hypogonadism? | Go Ask Alice! - October 10th, 2018
- Endo Pharmaceuticals | Hypogonadism - August 8th, 2018
- Hypogonadism disease: Malacards - Research Articles, Drugs ... - July 25th, 2018
- Hypogonadism (Low Testosterone) | Men's Health Resource Center - June 24th, 2018
- Hypogonadism Treatment & Management: Approach Considerations ... - March 7th, 2018
- Hypogonadism: Practice Essentials, Background, Pathophysiology - February 11th, 2018
- Talk:Kallmann syndrome - Wikipedia - January 20th, 2018
- Healthier Andropause Build to Balance - January 20th, 2018
- Lilly pulls Axiron from Korean market | Righting Injustice - January 20th, 2018
- Diminished Androgen and Estrogen Receptors and Aromatase ... - January 20th, 2018
- Attention, Men: Doing This Every Day Could Lower Your ... - January 20th, 2018
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - January 6th, 2018
- Primary Hypogonadism VS Secondary Hypogonadism ... - January 1st, 2018
- Hypogonadism | Cleveland Clinic - December 28th, 2017
- Hypogonadism | Children's Hospital of Philadelphia - December 18th, 2017
- Male hypogonadism - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 15th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Causes & Information | Cleveland Clinic - December 12th, 2017
- Hypogonadism - UCSF Medical Center - November 21st, 2017
- What is Hypogonadism? (with pictures) - November 15th, 2017
- Causes of secondary hypogonadism in males - uptodate.com - November 15th, 2017
- Induction of fertility in men with secondary hypogonadism - November 4th, 2017
- Hypogonadism Testosterone Therapy Treatment | Ageonics Medical - October 18th, 2017
- Hypogonadism, Male | ARUPConsult Lab Test Selection - October 18th, 2017