I want to work out at home but the trouble is I live in a tiny apartment not only do I not have much room at all to move, but I don't want to annoy my neighbors by jumping around and making lots of noise. How can I get a good workout in so I maintain my fitness and strength, and don't gain weight?
Squished and self-isolating
As someone who lives in a city center apartment that can only be described as a shoebox, in a block with unfathomably thin walls and ceilings, I feel your pain.
Also, I'm glad to hear you're actually being considerate of your neighbors that's more than can be said for some people.
The good news is that you can totally get an efficient, full-body workout in without lots of jumping around, and when you're stuck at home, prioritizing doing so is an excellent decision.
You might need to move some of your furniture around I have to shift my coffee table to the side and roll up my rug to create enough room to put down a yoga mat but space can be made in even the coziest of apartments.
And it'll be worth the trouble.
"It's very easy to be sedentary right now and fall into the trap of bingeing on Netflix," Ashley Verma, founder of London barre fitness studio Define, told Insider.
A barre workout can be recreated at home using a sturdy chair. Ashley Verma
"Creating a daily at-home fitness routine can be very therapeutic mentally and physically during these uncertain times.
"If you can switch on the motivational mindset, you can do a fab workout in the comfort of your home. Simply clear a little space and you can tackle some of the most basic fitness moves that honestly lift the heart rate, lift your spirits, and build up your all-around fitness."
Cardio and high-intensity interval training is likely going to result in your downstairs neighbors angrily knocking on your door, but bodyweight resistance exercises should leave them in peace.
What's more, strength workouts are the most efficient way to train because the more muscle you have, the higher your basal metabolic rate. You can definitely still get a sweat on too.
"Your standard lunges, press-ups, and squats are basic moves that give fab results," advised Verma.
"If you are new to these moves, start small. Do 10 of each in three rounds. You will build from there.
"Need more? Clear some space at a wall and slide on down until your hips, knees, and ankles make a 90-degree angle, now hold. Yes, it's going to burn the lower body! Aim for a 10-20 second hold to start. Build to longer and aim for three rounds."
As well as push-ups, squats, and lunges in various forms, personal trainer and fat-loss coach Jordan Syatt shared the following list of quiet but effective exercises with Insider:
And if you don't have any of your own weights to perform the last three, don't fret: Syatt recommends using soup cans or bottles of laundry detergent (personally, I tend to go for cans of beans myself).
If fat loss is one of your goals, the way to make that happen is by creating a calorie deficit through your diet.
"In terms of losing fat, it comes down to keeping your nutrition in check and staying in a calorie deficit," Syatt said.
However, he doesn't recommend making that a priority at the moment, while self-isolating or social distancing amid the coronavirus pandemic.
A post shared by Jordan Syatt - SyattFitness (@syattfitness)Mar 18, 2020 at 3:01pm PDT
"Right now when you're quarantined, stuck at home, and around food all the time, I probably wouldn't worry as much about trying to lose fat," Syatt said.
Instead, he recommends giving yourself an activity-based challenge to work towards.
"Set a goal to try to achieve over the course of the day a certain number of repetitions of a certain exercise or several exercises," he said, suggesting push-ups, squats, or lunges, for example, or a couple of them.
"Try and achieve maybe 100 reps by the end of every single day," said Syatt. "Focus on achieving a goal with movement and exercise rather than trying to lose weight right now."
If you want to push yourself a little harder in your workouts without making noise, consider buying a set of medium dumbbells.
"Adding weight to your exercises puts increased demand on the body and raises the heart rate more without jumping around, which is especially great for anyone who lives in an apartment, not to mention the endless benefits of weight training, being able to build muscular strength as well as cardiovascular benefits," Gede Foster, Head of Fitness at home workout app Fiit, told Insider.
"When performing bodyweight workouts we lack a fundamental movement pattern of 'pull' exercises, for example, rows and deadlifts, etc," she explained.
"Adding in weights allows for a complete, balanced workout together with an even amount of push and pull. This is super important for the posterior chain especially in these 'work from home' times."
A post shared by Gede Foster (@gedefoster)Feb 29, 2020 at 5:29am PST
And if you want more guidance when it comes to structuring your workouts, you need only look online.
Between apps like Fiit (which has a "quiet" category of workouts), online coaches with huge social media followings like Syatt, and fitness studios offering online classes like Define, there's plenty out there to ensure you never get bored of exercising from your living room.
"Getting and staying fit is a process," said Verma. "Perhaps once you get the basics going at home and you find you want more of a push, start looking at online workout platforms that speak to you.
"Ultimately you have to find what motivates and inspires you to stay on your fitness journey."
Don't let a small space hold you back though, you can still get an awesome workout in take it from someone whose body is currently screaming after all the push-ups.
Wishing you well,
As Insider's senior lifestyle reporter and a self-described fitness fanatic, Rachel Hosie is fully immersed in the wellness scene and is here to answer all your burning questions. Whether you're struggling to find the motivation to go for a run, confused about light versus heavy weights, or unsure whether you should be worried about how much sugar is in a mango, Rachel is here to give you the no-nonsense answers and advice you need, with strictly no fad diets in sight.
Rachel has a wealth of experience covering fitness, nutrition, and wellness, and she has the hottest experts at her fingertips she regularly speaks to some of the world's most knowledgeable and renowned personal trainers, dietitians, and coaches, ensuring she's always up to date with the latest science-backed facts you need to know to live your happiest and healthiest life.
Have a question? Ask Rachel firstname.lastname@example.org out this anonymous form. All questions will be published anonymously.
See the article here:
How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020