Supplements can't make up for unhealthy diet (2-15-18)
Rose Beltz , KREM 7:49 AM. PST February 16, 2018
We do our best to combat getting sick by covering our mouths and washing our hands. We also up our game with home remedies, vitamins and supplements.
However, those supplements may not help as much as you think.
Consumer Reports shows Americans spent $35 billion on dietary supplements in 2015. The makers of these products promise a lot of benefits ranging from improving memory to losing weight.
While dietary supplements and multivitamins may seem like the obvious way to plug the gaps of a busy life, doctors are still mixed. The evidence behind them is controversial and in some cases non-existent.
For those reasons, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force does not support vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent or fight disease.
So what can you do?
We reached out to professors at The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine for the answers.
Clinical Assistant Professor and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist April Davis says to start with lifestyle first by moving your body, laughing more, eating a variety of foods and improving social connections, mindfulness and sleep.
Also, consider cutting out processed food, refined and added sugars and stress. These are things that might work against any added dietary supplement.
If you follow these steps and still feel deficient in a specific nutrient, research whole food options that can offer it. For example, adding nutrient-dense nuts and seeds to your diet offers a great mineral supplement.
Nutrition experts said people can become so focused on the health benefits of a certain vitamin, that they miss the importance of a key factor within a daily diet: Food synergy.
Food synergy is the process in which vitamins in different foods work together so your body can absorb the nutrients it needs to be healthy.
For example, Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits and dark-green vegetables and can enhance the bodys absorption of iron, found in lean meats, fish, beans and leafy green vegetables, when eaten at the same time.
Food synergy is also important because it makes our bodies use the nutrients properly. Something that cannot be done with a manufactured supplement. It also prevents us from absorbing too much of a single vitamin.
This is important because taking too much of a vitamin, supplement or antioxidant, no matter how healthy, can increase your chances of disease.
If you feel the need to take a dietary supplement, nutritionists recommend one that is made from a whole food source.
Nutritionists also stress the importance of working with a registered dietitian nutritionist or integrative practitioner to find the best type, dose and duration for the supplement because, ultimately, supplementation is strongly based on someones health, age, gender and their medical and prescription drug history.
See the article here:
How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ...
- Winter gear to keep your fleets and drivers from freezing - American Trucker - December 14th, 2019
- Latest Tesla Autopilot crash will be the 12th investigated by NHTSA - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 14th, 2019
- Intermittent Fasting Is (Unsurprisingly) The Most Searched Diet Of 2019 - mindbodygreen.com - December 13th, 2019
- Is Canned Tuna Healthy? Nutritionists Weigh In - Women's Health - December 13th, 2019
- A prosecco diet exisits - here's everything to know - Now To Love - December 13th, 2019
- Gal Gadot Looks Stronger Than Ever in the First Trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 - Prevention.com - December 13th, 2019
- Pregnancy Found by Israeli and Dutch Researchers to be Safe for Women with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Breaking Israel News - December 13th, 2019
- Drive safely. Wild animals' lives are at stake - Vancouver Courier - December 13th, 2019
- Cork woman: The secret to living to 100 is... - Echo Live - December 13th, 2019
- Eye on the pies! Vets warn pet owners to keep edible festive hazards out of paws' reach - PoliticsHome.com - December 13th, 2019
- AINsight: Diabetes and Flying | Business Aviation - Aviation International News - December 13th, 2019
- Ederra Bella Plastic Surgery and Medical Spa in Johns Creek, Georgia, is Now Offering the Innovative CoolSculpting Procedure for Patients - Yahoo... - December 13th, 2019
- Everything you should never do when at a work Christmas party from romping in cupboard to shots - The Sun - December 13th, 2019
- Tabu on her suitable boy - Telegraph India - December 13th, 2019
- UFC 245 Predictions: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Picks - Bleacher Report - December 13th, 2019
- Is HIIT The Best Way To Lose Weight? We Asked Experts To Weigh In - mindbodygreen.com - December 5th, 2019
- Diet Plan For Kareena's Recent Look Revealed By Her Nutritionist - NDTV News - December 3rd, 2019
- As Aspen ski icon Klaus Obermeyer turns 100, he reflects on how he stays so fit and positive - The Colorado Sun - December 3rd, 2019
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency Can Be Avoided By Eating These Five Foods Regularly - International Business Times - December 3rd, 2019
- Brain Receptor That Regulates Body Heat May Also Help Accelerate Weight Loss - University Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- The Top Products of 2019 - Pet Business Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- How Vaping Could Create a Bigger Health Risk - The National Interest Online - November 29th, 2019
- Constipation in breastfeeding babies: Treatments and causes - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- Looking for healthy eating options in Bengaluru? This might just be the cafe you're looking for - The New Indian Express - November 29th, 2019
- A trip through parts of Ky. and Ohio - Ledger Independent - November 29th, 2019
- What Blood Tests You Should Ask For Based On Your Family History - mindbodygreen.com - November 29th, 2019
- Vitamin E and vaping injuries: What's safe in your diet is rarely safe in your lungs - The Conversation US - November 29th, 2019
- Try Not To Poison Yourself This Thanksgiving - LAist - November 29th, 2019
- 5 seemingly unhealthy foods that are actually good for you - NBC News - November 29th, 2019
- Steak and chips, fish dinner and beans on toast as youve never seen them before: The food bringing dignity to the elderly - The Telegraph - November 29th, 2019
- Diabetes Prevention plan: Start eating avocadoes from today - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Several Common Enzymes - PharmiWeb.com - November 29th, 2019
- Tate & Lyle explores the relationship between nutritious ingredients and the glycemic response - NutraIngredients-Latam - November 29th, 2019
- Cease the grease by properly disposing of fryer oil and cooking grease - Journalscene.com - November 29th, 2019
- Plagued by unsightly whiteheads? 5 home remedies to get rid of them - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5 - September 12th, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018