Supplements can't make up for unhealthy diet (2-15-18)
Rose Beltz , KREM 7:49 AM. PST February 16, 2018
We do our best to combat getting sick by covering our mouths and washing our hands. We also up our game with home remedies, vitamins and supplements.
However, those supplements may not help as much as you think.
Consumer Reports shows Americans spent $35 billion on dietary supplements in 2015. The makers of these products promise a lot of benefits ranging from improving memory to losing weight.
While dietary supplements and multivitamins may seem like the obvious way to plug the gaps of a busy life, doctors are still mixed. The evidence behind them is controversial and in some cases non-existent.
For those reasons, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force does not support vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent or fight disease.
So what can you do?
We reached out to professors at The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine for the answers.
Clinical Assistant Professor and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist April Davis says to start with lifestyle first by moving your body, laughing more, eating a variety of foods and improving social connections, mindfulness and sleep.
Also, consider cutting out processed food, refined and added sugars and stress. These are things that might work against any added dietary supplement.
If you follow these steps and still feel deficient in a specific nutrient, research whole food options that can offer it. For example, adding nutrient-dense nuts and seeds to your diet offers a great mineral supplement.
Nutrition experts said people can become so focused on the health benefits of a certain vitamin, that they miss the importance of a key factor within a daily diet: Food synergy.
Food synergy is the process in which vitamins in different foods work together so your body can absorb the nutrients it needs to be healthy.
For example, Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits and dark-green vegetables and can enhance the bodys absorption of iron, found in lean meats, fish, beans and leafy green vegetables, when eaten at the same time.
Food synergy is also important because it makes our bodies use the nutrients properly. Something that cannot be done with a manufactured supplement. It also prevents us from absorbing too much of a single vitamin.
This is important because taking too much of a vitamin, supplement or antioxidant, no matter how healthy, can increase your chances of disease.
If you feel the need to take a dietary supplement, nutritionists recommend one that is made from a whole food source.
Nutritionists also stress the importance of working with a registered dietitian nutritionist or integrative practitioner to find the best type, dose and duration for the supplement because, ultimately, supplementation is strongly based on someones health, age, gender and their medical and prescription drug history.
See the article here:
How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ...
- Voices: COVID-19 and the concern of chronic disease in the church - Baptist Standard - July 7th, 2020
- #10 Tips to Stay Healthy During the Self-isolation Days of Covid19 - Entrepreneur - July 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Poll finds 81% of Canadians think Canada-U.S. border should stay closed - The Globe and Mail - July 7th, 2020
- Meat Industry Overfeeds Antibiotics to Cows, and We Get Sicker - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Two major cities are getting another grocery delivery option in the pandemic - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 7th, 2020
- HOW TO LIVE IN THE FACE OF FEAR - Manila Bulletin - July 6th, 2020
- Simple and Fastic Apps: Why Do I Keep Seeing Intermittent Fasting Ads on Social Media? - VICE UK - July 6th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Zimbabwe Daily - July 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Raw Broccoli? Benefits and Downsides - Healthline - July 4th, 2020
- Fish: Which Ones To Eat & Which Ones To Avoid During Pregnancy - BabyGaga - July 4th, 2020
- Fireworks Can Trigger PTSD. Heres How to Be Considerate While Celebrating July 4th at Home - EcoWatch - July 4th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Herald - July 4th, 2020
- Why You Should Bet Against Joey Chestnut In The Hot Dog Eating Contest - PlayUSA - July 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Confirmed cases in 40 states on the rise in the U.S. ahead of Fourth of July weekend - The Globe and Mail - July 4th, 2020
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020
- Kokum could be that miracle food to help you burn those calories - Indulgexpress - June 11th, 2020
- Scientists Surprised When They Examine Stomach Contents of Great White Sharks and Find Out What They Really Eat - SciTechDaily - June 11th, 2020
- Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport: The Drivers Bugatti - SlashGear - June 11th, 2020
- Why I'm choosing to wear a bathing suit at home this summer - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 11th, 2020
- Cognizance into Peripheral Interventions Market and it's growth prospects - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Families who eat together have better eating habits - Free Malaysia Today - June 9th, 2020
- 5 reasons to add flaxseed to your diet - Arab News - June 9th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks unrecognisable in very slim throwback picture as she reveals battle with PCOS made her g - The Sun - June 9th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 9th, 2020
- It is a national scandal that children will soon be able to go to Thorpe Park, but not to school - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- World Food Safety Day: 10 tips to eat safely and healthily during the COVID-19 pandemic - Times Now - June 8th, 2020
- Lose your lockdown love handles in 14 days with this easy diet plan - Mirror Online - June 8th, 2020
- Food Not Bombs Marks 40th Anniversary, A Conversation With Local Co-Founder - 90.3 KAZU - June 8th, 2020
- How to Wash Fruits and Vegetables: A Complete Guide - EcoWatch - June 8th, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, which muscles are worked and most importantly, WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - June 8th, 2020
- Bananas with Milk: A Great Combination or Bad Idea? - Healthline - May 30th, 2020
- Most heated debate this week - should you eat peas for breakfast - Hertfordshire Mercury - May 30th, 2020
- RealEats Recognized by Partnership for a Healthier America as Improving Health and Wellness through Its Innovative "Fresh Meal" Product Line... - May 30th, 2020
- Week 9 of Jacqui and Jim Robbins' self-isolation diary for the Adver - Swindon Advertiser - May 30th, 2020
- Richmond inches toward opening its streets Greater Greater Washington - Greater Greater Washington - May 27th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | Early Signs, Causes and Treatment - DrugWatch.com - May 27th, 2020