Photo:Dimitri Otis / Getty Images
So you tried the ketogenic diet, the ber-popular low-carb, high-fat eating style. By focusing on high-fat foods (all the avocados!), this type of diet puts your body into a state of ketosis, using fat for energy instead of carbs. For many people, this switch results in weight loss, but most don't (or shouldn't) stick with the keto diet long-term unless they're on it for a medical reason. Here's why, plus how to transition off the diet safely if you're considering doing it.
"Life usually ends up getting in the way," says Shoshana Pritzker, R.D., C.D.N., C.S.S.D., a sports nutritionist and registered dietitian. For most people, how long you can stay on keto is however long you can say "no" to typical social munchies and drinks, she adds. Sometimes, you just want to be able to let loose and eat some processed carbs, right?
Plus, there may be health implications to consider. "We're really not sure what kind of health complications may arise from a long-term state of ketosis (i.e., years and years) if any," says Pritzker. And it's not just that. "One reason a person may want to stop keto dieting is if their lipid panel worsens," notes Haley Hughes, R.D."If a person who is at a high risk for heart disease is eating increased amounts of saturated fat and sources of cholesterol while consuming less fiber from whole grains, beans, fruits, and starchy vegetables, they may see increased cholesterol levels." There are also special concerns for those with type 1 diabetes and people taking insulin, who might not be a good fit for long-term keto dieting, she says. (Related: Healthy But High-Carb Foods You Can't Have On the Keto Diet)
Lastly, the reason for going off keto could be as simple as having reached your goalweight loss, performance, or otherwiseand being ready to get back to eating carbs. Regardless of why you want to stop following the keto guidelines, there are some key things you'll need to know ahead of time.
Sadly, shocking your system by downing a few slices of pizza is *not* the right way to come off of keto. Instead, you'll need to do a little mental prep work.
Have a plan. "One of the biggest problems with dieting altogether (whether keto or another diet) is that when you stop, what do you do next?" says Pritzker. "Most people just end up going back to the way they ate previously, which wasn't working for them before, so why would it work now?" This is especially true if you went on keto for weight-loss purposes. "Your best bet is to have a plan as to what you're going to eat and how you're going to start incorporating carbs back into your diet." If you're not sure what your goals are now or how to accomplish those goals with your diet, check in with a dietitian. (BTW, here's why the anti-diet is the healthiest diet you could ever be on.)
Get familiar with portion sizes. "As with any strict diet, transitioning back into your normal eating style can be difficult," says Keri Glassman, R.D., C.D.N., founder of Nutritious Life. "After restricting your carbs for so long, you're more likely to overdo them once you allow yourself to have them again." The first few times you eat carbs post-keto, look to see what one serving size is and stick to that.
Start with unprocessed carbs. Rather than going straight for pasta, doughnuts, and cupcakes, go for plant-based carbs first. "I would reintroduce whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits, non-starchy vegetables first versus processed foods and sugar-sweetened beverages," says Hughes.
Go slow. "Try introducing carbs slowly and gradually," advises Pritzker. This will help you avoid any G.I. distress (think: constipation) that could come along with reintroducing carbs. "Start with adding carbs in at one meal per day. Try this for a few weeks and see how your body responds. If things are going well, add carbs into another meal or snack." Continue adding carbs one meal or snack at a time until you're comfortable eating them throughout the day.
Even if you do everything right, there are some physical effectsboth positive and negativeyou should watch out for when stopping a ketogenic diet.
You might have blood sugar fluctuations. "It's hard to predict how someone will react to coming off the keto diet," says Edwina Clark, R.D., C.S.S.D., head of nutrition and wellness at Yummly. "Some may experience minimal effects, while others may find that their blood sugar spikes then crashes after their first carb-moderate meal." Roller-coaster blood sugar levels can cause jitteriness, mood changes, hyperactivity, and fatigue, so check with your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.
You might gain weight. (But don't freak out.) You also might not! "Weight fluctuation is always a possibility, but weight gain will depend on many factors, including how your body metabolizes carbs, the rest of your diet, exercise, and more, says Glassman.
It also depends on how long you've been on keto. "Much of the weight lost when cutting carbs is water weight initially," says Pritzker. "When you reintroduce carbs you also introduce additional water; with every gram of carb, you get 4 grams of water. This can make you feel like you've gained a ton of weight rapidly, though much of it is probably water retention." This type of water weight gain applies to everyone coming off keto, but those who have been on it for a shorter period of time and lost just a small amount of weight on the diet may notice it more. (Related: 6 Unexpected Causes of Winter Weight Gain)
Bloating could happen. But it's temporary. "The most common issue that people deal with is bloating and intestinal issues because of the re-introduction of fibrous foods," says Taylor Engelke, R.D.N.Even though foods like beans and sprouted bread are good for you, your body may need to get used to digesting them again. You can expect this to subside in a few days to a few weeks.
You may have more energy. "People may have increased energy after adding carbohydrate back into their diet since glucose (which is found in carbs) is your body's main fuel source," says Hughes. You may also notice better performance in HIIT workouts and endurance training. Plus, you could feel better mentally, since the brain also uses glucose to function. "Many people report having a much better memory and feel less 'foggy' with concentration or functioning at work," says Engelke. (Related: 8 Things You Need to Know About Exercising On the Keto Diet)
You might feel hungrier. "The high-fat and moderate-protein combo of a keto diet make it super satiating," says Glassman. That's why a lot of people experience a suppressed appetite while trying keto. "It is possible that you might feel hungrier after each meal as they start to contain less fat and more carbs, which tend to be faster-digesting," she adds. To combat this and smooth your transition, Clark suggests pairing carbs with both protein and fat. "This can help slow down digestion, boost fullness, and limit blood sugar spikes and crashes as you reintroduce carbohydrates."
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5 - September 12th, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017
- The case for complete streets - Prince Rupert Northern View - August 27th, 2017