It would be a little unusual if you were feeling unambiguously happy about your diet right now, sinceno offense to gym evangelists the holidays arent the ideal time of year for anyone to count calories. After a slew of cookie-laden office parties and the booze-laden karaoke sessions that ensue, vocalising the I want to lose weight resolution is pretty standard stuff. Especially since nearly 70 percent of U.S. adults are overweight or obese, and 45 percent put losing weight and getting in shape among their top New Years resolutions. (Comparable statistic: 60 percent of Americans use a streaming service like Netflix.)
If your first thought as a 2019 weight loss hopeful is "What diet am I going to go on," though? Folks, youre doing it wrong.
Weight loss is a big thing. The problem is that fad dietsthe extreme ones that limit a food source or completely cut things outdont offer long-term results, says Dennis Cardone, DO, chief of primary care sports medicine at NYU Langone Health. Research shows that we put more weight back on than when we started, so you have to ask yourself: Whats the point of struggling through it in the first place?
Its a grim prognosis. But to boost your odds of long-term success, which is the only type of success here that really matters, we offer six healthy weight-loss strategies to keep in mind
Even LeBron knows that you dont win a title on opening night. If you set out on January 1 to drop 50 pounds, with no defined checkpoints in the interim, youll lose sight of the meaningful-but-less-impressive-sounding victories that happen along the way. You could be discouraged when that doesnt happen, says Cardone. Instead, think smaller, like a pound a week. Thats 50 pounds in a year! That can really add up.
Alternatively, dont tie your goals to weight loss itself. Instead, focus on actionable habits, like working out four times a week, or walking up the stairs to your third-floor office every day. When you incorporate healthier tendencies as part of your lifestyle, youll start to see numbers on the scale shift in the right direction. And if for any reason that result takes a little longer than youd hoped, youre less likely to become discouraged in the meantime.
Seriously! Instead, focus on the quality of the foods youre eating. Researchers at Stanford University recently monitored the diets of more than 600 overweight adults, sending them to health education classes in which they learned how to shop, cook, and eat smarter. (They were also encouraged to be physically active.) On their own, they reduced their daily calorie intake by about 500 calories, and lost an average 12 pounds over a year. This winter, spend more time educating yourself, and less time keeping a running calorie tally in your head. It's exhausting.
The moment you tell yourself you cant have something, its the only thing youre going to want. Thus, say it with us: moderation.
If you cut things out, youll end up feeling that you lack willpower or self-control when you can't follow a set of rigid rules. In reality, the issue isn't your lack of self-controlits the diet itself, says Alissa Rumsey, MS, RD, nutrition therapist and owner of Alissa Rumsey Nutrition and Wellness. Instead, try to consume a variety of different foods from all food groups. Yes, even carbs.
Of course, there will be situations in which your willpower is tested. Rather than avoiding your co-workers birthday cake altogether, settle on a small sliver. Doing this will help you avoid going to the bodega to buy Cheetos on the way home instead.
Some people thrive on that all-or-nothing mentality. And according to the CDC, between 2005 and 2010, adults in the U.S. consumed around 13 percent of their total daily calorie intake from added sugars. In other words, youre probably consuming a lot of it right now, even if you dont realise it.
Heres the thing about cutting sugar: If youre going to do it, you have to understand that the cravings are coming. And while there isnt a ton of research about how long it takes to get over the humpwhich varies for everyoneCardone assures us that when you do, you wont miss it at all. After a while, youll realize your cravings completely go away, and your mood is much better, he says.
Maybe its a Saturday, or maybe you work from home, or maybe its just really cold out. Whatever the reason youre cooped up inside, make a habit to get up and walk around, once every other hour, for 10 minutes at a time. If you stay at home for hours on end, youll realise that you instinctively walk to kitchen at certain times, says Cardone. Walking out the door helps to reduce stress and shift your mindset from constant feeding to movement. By doing this, youll disrupt your normal routine and be able to better distinguish between being hungry and just feeling restless.
Good news: Australian researchers have found that if you up the amount of leafy greens you eat regularly, you could see sustainable weight loss, in addition to all the other health benefits that leafy greens consumption entails. Bad news: Almost 90 percent of Americans fall short of the recommended five daily servings of vegetables, according to the CDC. Stop being one of them.
Besides, remember that leafy greens is a category that encompasses more than just lettuce, kale, and spinach. Bok choy, broccoli, Swiss chard, and endive all count, too! Your New Years resolution to try new foods just got taken care of.
21 best chest exercises to get you looking like a superhero
Weight loss tips: How to combine intermittent fasting & keto to lose weight, as per this guy who lost 33 kg
9 best kettlebell exercises for a full body workout
More on Fitness
Here is the original post:
How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India
- Weight loss benefits that go beyond slimming - Times of India - March 31st, 2020
- Honor your body and improve your health in the process - Charlotte Post - March 31st, 2020
- Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- Stress Wont Kill You, But Your Reaction To It Might - Ponoka News - March 31st, 2020
- Other Sports: Weighty task for Prem - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- Looking About in Mendocino County during coronavirus: A place of gratefulness - The Willits News - March 31st, 2020
- Masterchefs Gregg Wallace takes on Joe Wicks with workout routine - Metro.co.uk - March 30th, 2020
- Building Toward the Long-Term Financial Future: Needs, Wants, and Wishes - The Ticker Tape - March 30th, 2020
- The Incredible Body Transformation of Jorge Masvidal Over The Years - Essentially Sports - March 30th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Jessica shows off new face and body after $111K plastic surgery makeover - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 'I wasnt in a good place' Kedren loses amazing 3.5st to help turn life around - Stoke-on-Trent Live - March 30th, 2020
- How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER - March 30th, 2020
- Is Consuming Coffee & Lemon Together Beneficial? Explore 3 Most Common Claims about the Mix - Krishi Jagran - March 30th, 2020
- From baking bread with just 3 ingredients to 1 tacos easy recipes to boost your mood during coronavirus lo - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- How X-FACTOR #87 (1993) Changed My Concept Of What A Comic Book Could Be - Monkeys Fighting Robots - March 30th, 2020
- William & Mary coaches adjust through communication and technology - William & Mary News - March 30th, 2020
- Inspirational Reading mum's touching gesture to husband with incurable cancer - Get Reading - March 30th, 2020
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fasting - Men's Health - March 28th, 2020
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL: Simple mindset shifts that will help you lose weight - The Bakersfield Californian - March 28th, 2020
- What to do during the coronavirus quarantine if you're on a diet - USA TODAY - March 28th, 2020
- Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health amid coronavirus - New York Post - March 28th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty - March 28th, 2020
- Easy egg salad recipes for weight loss - Times of India - March 28th, 2020
- It switch! The new beach body of Adele after losing weight about 70 kilos in the last decade - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Weight loss with intermittent fasting? Three readers share their success story: I lost no less than 51 kg in 8 months - The KXAN 36 News - March 28th, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - ExaminerLive - March 28th, 2020
- Man praises NHS staff after his 86-year-old father recovers from coronavirus - Nottinghamshire Live - March 28th, 2020
- Overweight to extreme thinness, Adele is concerned about his fans for his new look - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Couple lose 15 stone after being left mortified by picture of them dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum - MyLondon - March 28th, 2020
- From radiant skin to boosting immunity, everything you need to know about saffron - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020