If youve been thinking about giving CrossFit a chance to become a part of your weight loss regime then let 28-year-old Milind Pandurang Jagres amazing transformation journey guide your quest. Jagre tells us that at his heaviest he weighed 102 kg and was motivated by his friends to start leading a healthier life before things take a turn for the worst.
My life pretty much revolves around these 4-5 friends that I have, and when they realised that I was not the same person (physically) that I was once was, they did not hesitate to speak their mind. And, Ill admit that their taut and straightforward observation about my physique was a little harsh and hurtful but I knew it was coming from a good place, he says.
I actually still remember the day the realisation to lose weight and get fit hit me. It was January 5, 2019 - a Saturday. I usually get up late on Saturdays, around noon, and on this particular Saturday afternoon, the moment I woke up, I was short of breath. It got hard for me to get off my bed, so I had to roll myself over just to get out of my own bedthis was my tipping point, he adds.
I remember entering the bathroom and just staring at myself, my swollen face and my out of shape stomach for a good minute or two. This was when I decided enough is enough! How did I even let myself treat my body like this? It was time to turn things around. I weighed 102 kg in January of 2019 and now in February of 2020 I weigh 82 kg. To be honest, it was not an easy task to get where I am today. It took constant hardships and I also had to make some changes in my daily life.
If I had to categorise my efforts, I would elaborate them via the below four points.
It was my friend, Monika, who introduced me to the world of CrossFit. She also wanted to lose some weight and get fitter, and that's when CrossFit came to our rescue. Looking back at it now, the biggest hurdle for me before even starting to work out was to actually show up for the class. I dreaded going to the first session as I thought everyone would smirk looking at me, and how out of shape I was. But, surprisingly, none of that happened. I remember my fellow CrossFitters were so supportive. They even helped me perfect my squats, burpees, kettlebell swings, push-ups, pull-ups, etc.
QUICK READ: 7 types of squat variations to build strong, toned legs
Now, it doesn't matter how much time you spend at the gym working out, your fitness journey is incomplete without following a proper diet. Since Ive lost 20 kg, so many people have come up to me asking for workout advice and fitness plans, but only a handful of them have asked about my diet.
If you want to take away one thing from this story, it should be that food is equally important. I spent my entire 2018 travelling and eating out. If there was a new restaurant opening upI was there before anyone else. Unfortunately, that took a toll on my body and I was not the same person anymore!
This was the hardest area for me to improve upon as I was a huge connoisseur of tipple. I think alcohol was the biggest contributor to my weight gain. I knew, if I could overcome this obstacle, I would be able to improve my health in a better and quicker way than expected. I motivated myself saying if I could do CrossFit five times a week, I can surely give up on alcohol, or have it occasionally with friends!
This was the last and most important step in my fitness journey. It totally depends on your mental health, how strong you are and what challenges you can take in life. A year of CrossFit, occasional long hikes, eating fresh food and no sugar have helped me change my mindset and lifestyle in a huge way. About a year ago, my friend, Anupam, told me, "your body is your temple, you need to make sure that you take care of it properly." And since that day I havent indulged in anything that harms my body or comes in the way of my fitness journey. I take enough rest between workouts and runs. In fact, all my hard work from this past year has propelled me to target a 100-mile run under 24 hours in the year 2021.
As I mentioned, my entire workout schedule depended (and still depends) on CrossFit. Apart from CrossFit, I do not do any other workout, except running every alternate day. If I could create a list of all the exercises that I did (and do), theyd include:
- Bear Crawl
- Squats (Jump & Air)
- Lunges (Walking & Jumping)
- Kettlebell Swings
- Jump Rope
- Dumbbell exercises (push-press, thrusters, biceps, triceps, snatches)
- Sled pushes
- Step jumps and box jumps
I am sure I am forgetting more than 20 movements but you get the gist, right?
The biggest contributor to my weight loss and fitness diet was a no sugar policy. I took significant measures to cut down my sugar level from moderate to low to almost zero. The only sugar that I intake is in the form of some fruits, which are natural sources of sugar.
Apart from this, I have stopped going out for food and mostly end up eating home-cooked and fresh meals.
If you want to walk through my typical diet for a day, I would break it down like this:
- 1 glass of lukewarm water with lemon juice and honey
- 1 glass of water before heading to work
- 1 glass of black coffee while driving to work
- 2 glasses of water before I start with my breakfast
Breakfast: It typically includes a honey wheat bread sandwich with 2 slices each of tomato and cheese. There is one layer of spinach between 2 layers of tomatoes
- 1 cup of black coffee before lunch
Lunch: This includes home-cooked food and a no-dressing salad
- 1 cup of black coffee after lunch
- 6 glasses of water throughout the day before hitting the gym
Post-workout: Fruit smoothie which includes strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi, dates, spinach, protein powder and ice and water
Dinner: Home-cooked food which is usually roti, rice, and sabji
- 2 glasses of water after dinner and before calling it a night
QUICK READ: Here's how drinking water at regular intervals can help you lose weight and increase your metabolism
- I do tremendous portion control. In the past, I have had trouble controlling my portions while eating delicious food. Now, it is part of my lifestyle and dietary habits. It has helped me keep my belly in shape and watching my weight too.
- I never, I repeat, never, eat unhealthy and frozen food. A good example of unhealthy food will be fast food such as hamburgers. I used to eat some frozen food, but I entirely gave up on them for good.
- I eat only seasonal fruits.
- I monitor my weight every couple days, which helps you to stay on track.
- I go to CrossFit three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday), and try not to miss any sessions.
- I run four times a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday). The distance ranges from 3 miles to as long as 10 miles depending on the week.
- I sleep at least 6-7 hours a day and I think I will increase this in future along with the number of miles that I run.
- I have cut down my screen time (Netflix, movies, etc.). I use that time to read books and further strengthen my knowledge on fitness.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you wont see any results in a day or two. Good things take time, all you can do is work harder every day. The biggest thing that worked for me was - planning things out. So, if you want to get fitter, I would highly recommend planning things such as your diet and exercise routine. Also, stick to this plan. You will be surprised to see the positive differences and changes over the period of months and will thank yourself. I will also recommend not overdoing stuff, and taking necessary rest and sleep.
Disclaimer: The diet and workout routines shared by the respondents may or may not be approved by diet and fitness experts. GQ India doesn't encourage or endorse the weight loss tips & tricks shared by the person in the article. Please consult an authorised medical professional before following any specific diet or workout routine mentioned above.
Weight loss tips: What is more effective, exercise or diet? Here's the answer
7 easy fitness hacks thatll make you healthier by tomorrow morning
How to lose weight by fasting, according to this guy who lost 45 kg in 23 weeks
More on Fitness
See the original post here:
How to lose weight like this guy who lost 20 kg with the help of this diet & CrossFit routine - GQ India
- The OMAD diet for weight loss: Everything you need to know - 7NEWS.com.au - September 28th, 2020
- 8 Foods and Beverages to Avoid with Arthritis - Healthline - September 28th, 2020
- PCOS And Infertility: Here's What You Need To Know - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- Victoria Beckham: Everything I do in a day from my skincare regime to my diet and exercise - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Four Women Reveal Their Horror Stories of Teddi Mellencamp's 'All In by Teddi' Diet - The Daily Beast - September 28th, 2020
- Dieting: Weighing the good and bad - The New Times - September 28th, 2020
- The Future of Cancer Treatment - NewsPatrolling - September 28th, 2020
- The breakfast snack to help you live longer and avoid heart disease symptoms - Express - September 28th, 2020
- SRMC doctor offers suggestions for Women's Health Day - The-review - September 25th, 2020
- Keeping COVID at bay - Mountain Xpress - September 25th, 2020
- Can You Boost Your Metabolism? Here's What the Science Says - Discover Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Cracking the code to live your best life: Canadian DNA testing companies, dnaPower and Inagene, partner to unlock true personalized health through... - September 25th, 2020
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja calls PCOS the bane of my life, shares 3 tips with fans on how to combat it in... - Hindustan Times - September 25th, 2020
- Try this diet combination with side planks, it will reduce belly fat fast - Pledge Times - Pledge Times - September 25th, 2020
- 17 Best Protein Powders of 2020: Whey, Casein, and Plant-Based - Greatist - September 25th, 2020
- Morning vs. Evening: Whats a better time to exercise to lose weight? - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- A man in the US dies of consuming excessive mulethi (licorine). Know how much is too much - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Dr. Anthony Fauci addresses why COVID-19 has severely hurt the... - Hays Free Press - September 25th, 2020
- What is the Dukan diet: the extreme diet Kate Middleton followed to lose weight before her wedding - RSVP Live - September 25th, 2020
- Dietitian reveals how to naturally detox your body - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Menopause Diet Tips: Know What To Eat And Avoid To Reduce Symptoms - NDTV Doctor - September 25th, 2020
- The vegetable you should AVOID or risk deadly high blood pressure - are you at risk? - Express - September 25th, 2020
- Immunity Tips: 5 Simple Tips To Strengthen Your Immune Function - NDTV - September 25th, 2020
- Three of the best exercises to lower your risk of a deadly heart attack - Express - September 25th, 2020
- The strange case of the man who died after eating too much licorice - East Idaho News - September 25th, 2020
- Omarion Reveals What He Eats in a Day to Stay Shredded - menshealth.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to live longer: The lifestyle habits that may add at least six years to your life - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Heres how healthy behaviour, diet and exercise in one partner affects healthy habits of other partner... - Hindustan Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Struggling To Lose Weight? This MD Says Knowing Your "Weight Loss Type" Will Help - mindbodygreen.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Luxor Sayville on the CICO Diet and if It Can Work for You - Long Island, NY Patch - Patch.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Belly fat linked to early death, study finds - ABC17News.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to get rid of visceral fat: Including a certain exercise in your day may burn the fat - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Dear Dietitian: Examining the connection between syndrome and diabetes - Nueces County Record Star - September 23rd, 2020
- Local Doctors Using Breakthrough Treatments, Pain Management Education to Help Chronic Pain Sufferers Through the Pandemic - Woodlands Online - September 23rd, 2020
- Dr. DeAun Nelson Wants to Change How We Think About Weight and Health Care - Willamette Week - September 23rd, 2020
- How to Create and Maintain Good Habits Even When You Lose Motivation - WTNZ - September 23rd, 2020
- Excellent sources of protein for those on a vegan diet - The Indian Express - September 23rd, 2020
- This Is the Weight-Loss Program That Actually Worked for LIVESTRONG.com Readers Across the Country - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 23rd, 2020
- Reduce the Risk of Developing Dementia - City News Group, Inc - September 23rd, 2020
- Hot baths and saunas: Beneficial for your heart? - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Did you know? 5 surprising things that can trigger a heart attack; steps to keep you fit and healthy - Times Now - September 23rd, 2020
- VIDEO: Three simple steps to better digestive health that you can take today - Press and Journal - September 23rd, 2020
- Why you should not take whey protein at night? - TheHealthSite - September 23rd, 2020
- Study: Twist On Traditional Mediterranean Diet May Be Ideal For Cardiovascular Health - CBS Miami - September 20th, 2020
- Exercise and diet are more important than ever with the coronavirus at large - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - September 20th, 2020
- 7 Heart Healthy Tips for Your 30s to Prevent High Blood Pressure - Healthline - September 20th, 2020
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Teddi Gets Emotional Talking Diet Plan Backlash - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Dr. Fauci: 3 everyday things you can do to help boost your immune system - CNBC - September 20th, 2020
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Can Be a Reality For Gen-X, Millennials, and Gen-Z - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2020
- Briana and Ryan Culberson Have Lost 150 Pounds on the Keto Diet - Bravo - September 20th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Be aware of the salty six if you want to lower your reading - Express - September 20th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of having pulses in your daily diet - NEWS HEADS - September 20th, 2020
- Metabolic syndrome, which increases the risk of heart disease, affects one in two seniors here - The Straits Times - September 20th, 2020
- Fitness secrets from Ayurveda - Times of India - September 8th, 2020
- How Halle Berry Is More Fit and Stunning Than Ever: Her Diet, Fitness, Beauty Tips and Tricks! - KVUE.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer - the very best exercise to add years onto your lifespan - Express - September 8th, 2020
- A doctor's open apology to those fighting overweight and obesity - The Wilton Bulletin - September 8th, 2020
- Plant-based diets shine when looking at the gut microbiome - Contemporary Pediatrics - September 8th, 2020
- The Long Con: Martin Wachter on how he got in shape through diet and exercise - CalvinAyre.com - September 8th, 2020
- Why the first three weeks of a diet are crucial, according to new study - 9Coach - September 8th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for September 09 - Mumbai Mirror - September 8th, 2020
- The secret to Randy Arozarenas rise with Rays? Chicken and rice - Tampa Bay Times - September 8th, 2020
- The Worst Ab Workout Mistakes and How to Fix Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Heart attack prevention: The best lifestyle to reduce your risk of a heart attack - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Surviving COVID-19 Together - Pain News Network - September 8th, 2020
- Best supplements for high blood pressure - the 99p capsules to avoid deadly hypertension - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman's death is tragic. Here's what you need to know about colon cancer. - Big Think - September 8th, 2020
- Here are five foods that can help regulate blood sugar or prevent type 2 diabetes - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Lose weight with the worlds top 10 diets from keto to Slimming World - The Sun - September 8th, 2020
- Lifestyle choices can reduce the risk of chronic kidney disease - Tennis World USA - September 8th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week 2020: 8 simple tips to stay healthy and fit - The Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- How to take the best poop, according to science - Business Insider - Business Insider - September 8th, 2020
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Followed LeBrons Diet and Workout for a Day - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 6th, 2020
- What is Ayurveda? - Science Times - September 6th, 2020
- Tony Gonzalez Thinks Sleep Is the Fountain of Youth - GQ - September 6th, 2020
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She Quit Her Vegan Diet For Health Reasons, Was 'Running On Empty' - Women's Health - September 6th, 2020
- 'I kept asking, they said I was too young' | The risks of colon cancer - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - September 6th, 2020
- Cant Stick To A Healthy Diet For Long? Try These Easy Ways For Better Results This Time - MensXP.com - September 6th, 2020
- Online event on importance of balanced diet - The Tribune India - September 6th, 2020
- Meet slimmer Vicki who lost more than 3st after changing her diet and taking up Thai boxing - Stoke-on-Trent Live - September 6th, 2020