You want to drop pounds, now. And you want to do it safely. But how?
First, keep in mind that many experts say its best to lose weight gradually. Its more likely to stay off. If you shed pounds too fast, youll lose muscle, bone, and water instead of fat, says the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The academys advice: Aim to lose 1-2 pounds per week, and avoid fad diets or products that make promises that sound too good to be true. Its best to base your weight loss on changes you can stick with over time.
For faster results, youll need to work with a doctor, to make sure that you stay healthy and get the nutrients that you need.
Youve probably heard the saying, calories in, calories out; as in, you just need to burn more calories than you eat and drink.
But its not that simple, as many people can tell you from their own experience.
Your metabolism -- how well your body turns calories into fuel -- also matters. And if you cut too many calories, its bad for you. You slow down your metabolism, and that can make you fall short on some nutrients.
There are many ways you can do this, without cutting calories too much. You could:
Whatever method you use, youll need to favor good-for-you foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein so you keep up good nutrition. Working with a dietitian is a good idea, so you make a plan that covers those needs.
Many apps can help you track your eating. Since you probably have your smartphone with you all the time, you can use it to keep up with your plan. Or keep a pen-and-paper food journal of what you ate and when.
Youll also want to have people on your side to help you stay motivated and to cheer you on. So ask your family and friends to support your efforts to lose weight.
You might also want to join a weight loss group where you can talk about how its going with people who can relate. Or talk with someone you know whos lost weight in a healthy way. Their encouragement is contagious, in a good way!
At the most basic level, food is fuel. It gives you energy to do things. But very few people eat just for that reason. Its at every social gathering. And its where a lot of us turn when we have a rough day.
Youll need to know what makes you want to eat when youre not hungry, and have a plan for those moments.
The first step is finding out what your triggers are. Is it stress, anger, anxiety, or depression in a certain part of your life? Or is food your main reward when something good happens?
Next, try to notice when those feelings come up, and have a plan ready to do something else instead of eating. Could you take a walk? Text a friend?
Lastly, reward yourself for making a different choice. Just dont use food as the reward.
You dont have to go vegan, gluten-free, or quit any particular food group to lose weight. In fact, youre more likely to keep the pounds off for good if its something you can live with for the long term.
But it does make sense to cut way down on, or totally cut out, empty calories.
Limit added sugars. These are the sugars in cookies, cakes, sugar-sweetened drinks, and other items -- not the sugars that are naturally in fruits, for instance. Sugary foods often have a lot of calories but few nutrients. Aim to spend less than 10% of your daily calories on added sugars.
Be choosy about carbs. You can decide which ones you eat, and how much. Look for those that are low on the glycemic index (for instance, asparagus is lower on the glycemic index than a potato) or lower in carbs per serving than others. Whole grains are better choices than processed items, because processing removes key nutrients such as fiber, iron, and B vitamins. They may be added back, such as in enriched bread.
Include protein. Its satisfying and will help keep up your muscles. There are vegetarian and vegan sources (nuts, beans, and soy are a few), as well as lean meat, poultry, fish, and dairy.
Most Americans get enough protein but could choose to get it from leaner sources, so you may already have plenty in your diet. Your exact protein needs depend on your age, gender, and how active you are.
Make friends with good fats. Small amounts of fat can help you feel full and less like youre on a diet. The better choices are those in fish, nuts, and seeds, and olive oil or coconut oils. Those have unsaturated fats -- polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats, specifically.
Fill up on fiber. You can get that from vegetables, whole grains, fruits -- any plant food will have fiber. Some have more than others. Top sources include artichokes, green peas, broccoli, lentils, and lima beans. Among fruits, raspberries lead the list.
Eat more often. If you eat 5-6 times a day, it could keep hunger at bay. You could split your calories equally across all of those mini-meals, or make some bigger than others. You will need to plan portions so that you dont end up eating more than you bargained for.
What About Meal Replacements? These products will control your calories. Theyre convenient and take the guesswork out of dieting.
Again, though, youll need to change your eating habits to keep the weight off if you go off the meal replacements.
Watch your drinks. One easy way to lose weight quickly is to cut out liquid calories, such as soda, juice, and alcohol. Replace them with zero-calorie drinks like lemon water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee.
Diet drinks will save you calories, compared with sugary beverages. But if you then reach for a cookie or other treat because youre still hungry or you think you saved enough calories for it, that plan backfires.
You might think that fasting is a quick way to drop pounds. But experts dont recommend it, because its not a long-term solution. Its better to have an eating plan that you can stick to over time and fits into your lifestyle.
All fasts arent the same. Some involve skipping all food. There are also fasts where you eat every other day. There hasnt been a lot of research on how well off-and-on fasting works in the long run.
During the first days of your fast, you may feel hungry and grumpy. You may also get constipated. And you wont have the energy to do much, physically. Drink lots of water and take a daily multivitamin. You should also tell your doctor, especially if you take medications that will probably need to be adjusted.
Remember that if you do fast, youll still need to change your eating habits once your fast ends.
No matter how you kick-start your weight loss, the best way to keep it off is with long-lasting lifestyle changes, like a healthy eating plan and physical activity. If youre not sure where to start, how many calories to cut, or how to do it safely, you might want to consult a registered dietitian.
WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Christine Mikstas, RD, LD on February 28, 2017
Caroline Apovian, MD, Nutrition and Weight Management Center, Boston Medical Center.
Monica Auslander, registered dietitian, Essence Nutrition, Miami.
Alison Borkowska, PhD, WeightNot.
Jewels Lett, registered dietitian.
Jessica Levings, Balanced Pantry.
Dana Simpler, MD, Mercy Medical Center.
Adrienne Youdim, MD.
Robert Ziltzer, MD, Scottsdale Weight Loss Center.
International Journal of Behavioral Medicine: The association between rate of initial weight loss and long-term success in obesity treatment: does slow and steady win the race?
Obesity Reviews: Lessons from obesity management programmes: greater initial weight loss improves long-term maintenance.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Staying Away from Fad Diets.
CDC: Losing Weight.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Healthy Eating Plan.
Mayo Clinic: Chart of High-Fiber Foods.
USDA: All About the Protein Foods Group.
Go here to see the original:
How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - webmd.com
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020