There are many ways to lose a lot of weight fast.
That said, many diet plans leave you feeling hungry or unsatisfied. These are major reasons why you might find it hard to stick to a diet.
However, not all diets have this effect. Low carb diets are effective for weight loss and may be easier to stick to than other diets.
Heres a 3-step weight loss plan that employs a low carb diet and aims to:
The most important part is to cut back on sugars and starches, or carbohydrates.
When you do that, your hunger levels go down, and you generally end up eating significantly fewer calories (1).
Instead of burning carbs for energy, your body now starts burning stored fat for energy.
Another benefit of cutting carbs is that it lowers insulin levels, causing the kidneys to shed excess sodium and water. This reduces bloating and unnecessary water weight (2, 3).
According to some dietitians, its not uncommon to lose up to 10 pounds (4.5 kg) sometimes more in the first week of eating this way. This weight loss includes both body fat and water weight.
One study in healthy women with obesity reported that a very low carb diet was more effective than a low fat diet for short-term weight loss (4).
Research suggests that a low carb diet can reduce appetite, which may lead you to eat fewer calories without thinking about it or feeling hungry (5).
Put simply, reducing carbs can lead to quick, easy weight loss.
Each one of your meals should include a protein source, fat source, and low carb vegetables.
As a general rule, try eating two to three meals per day. If you find yourself hungry in the afternoon, add a fourth meal.
Constructing your meals in this way should bring your carb intake down to around 2050 grams per day.
To see how you can assemble your meals, check out this low carb meal plan and list of 101 healthy low carb recipes.
Eating plenty of protein is an essential part of this plan.
Evidence suggests that eating lots of protein may boost calorie expenditure by 80100 calories per day (6, 7, 8).
High protein diets can also reduce cravings and obsessive thoughts about food by 60%, reduce the desire to snack late at night by half, and make you feel full. In one study, people on a higher protein diet ate 441 fewer calories per day (9, 10).
When it comes to losing weight, protein is a crucial nutrient to think about.
Dont be afraid to load your plate with low carb vegetables. They are packed with nutrients and you can eat very large amounts without going over 2050 net carbs per day.
A diet based mostly on lean protein sources and vegetables contains all the fiber, vitamins, and minerals you need to be healthy.
See a full list of low carb vegetables here.
Dont be afraid of eating fats. Trying to do low carb and low fat at the same time can make sticking to the diet very difficult.
You don't need> to exercise to lose weight on this plan, but it will have extra benefits.
By lifting weights, you will burn lots of calories and prevent your metabolism from slowing down, which is a common side effect of losing weight (11, 12).
Studies on low carb diets show that you can gain a bit of muscle while losing significant amounts of body fat (13).
Try going to the gym three to four times a week to lift weights. If you're new to the gym, ask a trainer for some advice.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, doing some cardio workouts like walking, jogging, running, cycling, or swimming will suffice. Both cardio and weightlifting can help with weight loss.
If you need to, you can take one day off per week where you eat more carbs. Many people choose to do this on Saturday.
Its important to stick to healthy carb sources like oats, rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit. If you must have a cheat meal and eat something unhealthy, do it on this day.
Limit this to one higher carb day per week. If you arent reducing carbs enough, you might not experience weight loss.
You might gain some water weight during your refeed day, and you will generally lose it again in the next 12 days.
Its not necessary to count calories as long as you keep your carb intake very low and stick to protein, fat, and low carb vegetables.
However, if you want to count them, you can use a free online calculator like this one.
Enter your sex, weight, height, and activity levels. The calculator will tell you how many calories to eat per day to maintain your weight, lose weight, or lose weight fast.
You can also download free, easy-to-use calorie counters from websites and app stores. Here is a list of 5 calorie counters to try.
Here are 10 more tips to lose weight faster:
For more tips on weight loss, read about 30 natural tips for losing weight here.
You may lose 510 pounds (2.34.5 kg) of weight sometimes more in the first week of the diet plan, and then lose weight consistently after that.
If you're new to dieting, weight loss may happen more quickly. The more weight you have to lose, the faster you will lose it.
For the first few days, you might feel a bit strange. Your body is used to running off carbs, and it can take time for it to get used to burning fat instead.
Some people experience the keto flu, or "low carb flu." Its usually over within a few days.
After the first few days, most people report feeling very good, with even more energy than before.
Aside from weight loss, the low carb diet can improve your health in many ways:
By reducing carbs and lowering insulin levels, youll likely experience reduced appetite and hunger. This removes the main reasons its often difficult to maintain a weight loss plan.
On this plan, you can likely eat healthy food until youre full and still lose a significant amount of fat. The initial drop in water weight can lead to a drop in the scales within a few days. Fat loss takes longer.
Studies comparing low carb and low fat diets suggest that a low carb diet might even make you lose up to two to three times as much weight as a typical low fat, calorie-restricted diet (38, 39, 40).
If you have type 2 diabetes, talk to your healthcare provider before making changes, as this plan can reduce your need for medication.
If you want to try a low carb diet, check out these 7 healthy low carb meals that you can make in 10 minutes or less.
- Eid-ul-Fitr 2020: How to break your fast in a healthy way to avoid digestive troubles - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Pets are great, but think before adopting | News | ottumwacourier.com - Ottumwacourier - May 24th, 2020
- Inside the pilot program that Iowa State is using to bring back its athletes - Syracuse Journal-Democrat - May 24th, 2020
- Mum lost five stone in a year and became super fit after the dramatic birth of her baby - Berkshire Live - Berkshire Live - May 24th, 2020
- How to lose a stone and tone up during lockdown - The Times - May 24th, 2020
- Telehealth Visits Allow Patients to Connect to Care During COVID-19 - UC San Diego Health - May 24th, 2020
- What is FODMAP intolerance and how to relieve the symptoms - Insider - INSIDER - May 24th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding Reveals She Fasts for Up to 40 Hours at a Time: I Do It Very Safely - Us Weekly - May 19th, 2020
- Need a little lockdown weight loss? Eat MORE of these five foods and LESS of these blacklisted ones - T3 - May 19th, 2020
- How the Sixers Are Staying Fit and Eating Healthy at Home Right Now - phillymag.com - May 19th, 2020
- Reevaluating fish consumption advisories during the COVID-19 pandemic: Analysis - Environmental Health News - May 19th, 2020
- 6 Tips on How to Stay Active at Home - Freeport Journal-Standard - May 19th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding reveals she fasts up to 40 hours at a time - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- How to get out of quarantine in good health and not overweight - The Times Hub - May 19th, 2020
- Ways to Fuel Your Immune System Not Just to Fight Off the Coronavirus - Reform Austin - May 18th, 2020
- One Twin Went Vegan. The Other Didn't. Here's What Happened to Their Bodies - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 18th, 2020
- Mix of straw and hay proves effective in stripping weight off ponies - study - Horsetalk - May 18th, 2020
- Mitchell Park's Fatty the parrot is missing - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- Born on this day - May 12: Jonah Lomu, All Blacks winger - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- From fighting off jaguars to eating frogs and SNAKES for 71 days the most shocking wilderness survival s - The Irish Sun - May 18th, 2020
- Your Cat Is Totally Allowed to Eat These 7 Human Foods We Asked 2 Vets to Be Sure - POPSUGAR - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to workplace as state reopens - Pike County News Watchman - May 15th, 2020
- As Boris Johnson vows to lose weight the 6 ways to do it safely - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Genius Ways to Use Chia Seeds, According to Nutritionists - The Beet - May 15th, 2020
- The Pain of Perfection When You Live With a Chronic Illness - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to post-COVID-19 workplace - The Ohio State University News - May 15th, 2020
- Eating to beat COVID-19, othersInterview - Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Houston medical experts on how to be healthy during and after COVID-19 - CultureMap Houston - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Medicinal Mushrooms that Boost Immunity - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet - May 15th, 2020
- For Your Fitness: When you want to be healthier - LaineyGossip - May 15th, 2020
- Staying safe, healthy amid pandemic during proposed reopenings: Dr Nina Radcliff - Press of Atlantic City - May 10th, 2020
- Is Brad Pitt Vegan? What You Need to Know - LIVEKINDLY - May 10th, 2020
- 9 Myths About Low-Carb Diets - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- Can You Eat Fish Skin, and Is It Healthy? - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- How to build muscle at home: 5 of the most effective muscle building tips for beginners (and pros too) - T3 - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: How effective has HR been so far? | theHRD - The HR Director Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: How it can help you lose weight and even save money - CNET - May 9th, 2020
- Obesity does increase risk of death from Covid-19 but diets arent the answer, chief doc warns - The Sun - May 6th, 2020
- Your front line defence isn't masks and gloves: its health - Gulf Times - May 6th, 2020
- Fare Exchange: A crustless quiche, an easy side dish and a variation on banana bread - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 6th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Dine Out? The Answer Is Extremely Partisan. - The Daily Beast - May 6th, 2020
- Need To Satisfy A Beauty Itch? We've Got 4 Safe Ways To Have Fun Right Now - mindbodygreen.com - May 6th, 2020
- Three Ways to Support a Healthy Food System During the COVID-19 Pandemic - EcoWatch - May 6th, 2020
- McDonald's in Harrow among the first fifteen restaurants to reopen - Harrow Times - May 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Expired Yogurt? Heres What Food Safety Experts Have To Say - Women's Health - May 2nd, 2020
- Let the Sunshine In - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- BARRATTS JOIN FORCES WITH WESSEX HEARTBEAT TO PROMOTE ISOLATION HEALTH TIPS - Island Echo - May 1st, 2020
- Is Corn Gluten-Free? Here's What to Know - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 1st, 2020
- McDonald's confirms when it will begin to re-open branches across the UK - NW Evening Mail - May 1st, 2020
- Millions Of Zimbabweans Are Already Struggling To Put Food On The Table UN Report - ZimEye - Zimbabwe News - May 1st, 2020
- Coping with Corona: Inclined to recline - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - May 1st, 2020
- Irrfan Khan's Son, Babil Shares a Video of the Late Actor Eating Pani Puri and it's Bound to Make You Smile - LatestLY - May 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: Fix it With Food; Superfoods to become Superhealthy by Kavita Devgan - Hindustan Times - April 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Erika Winning Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - April 30th, 2020
- Diabetes and Ramadan: Frequently asked questions - Greater Kashmir - April 30th, 2020
- How to Manage Stress Migraines During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - April 30th, 2020
- Six-Pack Abs: How Long Does It Take, Nutrition, and Exercise - Greatist - April 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Column: And So It Begins - Virginia Connection Newspapers - April 30th, 2020
- What to do if you find a baby bird on the ground - Deseret News - April 23rd, 2020
- Hunters, anglers, even Fish and Wildlife commissioners say restrictions on recreation should be lifted - The Spokesman-Review - April 23rd, 2020
- A real world version of Pokmon Go lets you track orangutans in the jungle - Massive Science - April 23rd, 2020
- Good Health Begins in Your Mouth - Live Trading News - April 23rd, 2020
- Four healthy eating strategies to work on while staying at home - The Globe and Mail - April 20th, 2020
- Opinion: There Is No 'Get Tough' With Coronavirus; We Need A New Slogan - NPR - April 20th, 2020
- The cost of deferred care: We cannot pause our healthcare system - Jordan Times - April 20th, 2020
- Inverness vet: Pets can provide comfort in these worrying times - Inverness Courier - April 20th, 2020
- Cuomo: New York Has Passed COVID-19 Peak, Warns of Second Wave - wpdh.com - April 20th, 2020
- Where does good news fit in the coverage of a pandemic? - Poynter - April 20th, 2020
- The importance of taking part in the census - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Your socially isolated brain craves interaction with other people just as much as it craves a meal when you are hungry - Massive Science - April 18th, 2020
- Cauliflower Rice: Calories and Nutrition Facts - Healthline - April 17th, 2020
- Eat REAL's #RainbowTacoChallenge Promotes Food Access, Joyful Cooking with Colorful Foods, and Social Connectivity - PRUnderground - April 17th, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - April 17th, 2020
- If You Want To Lose 20 Pounds Or More, Strength Training Matters More Than You Think - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 16th, 2020
- What is reverse dieting and how to best recover from a restrictive diet - Insider - INSIDER - April 16th, 2020
- Cheetah #Cubdate 2: April 14 - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - April 16th, 2020
- Simple science communication helps ease fears and spread good information during the COVID-19 pandemic - Massive Science - April 16th, 2020
- How to Deal With Feeling Bad About Your Body During Isolation - VICE UK - April 12th, 2020
- Novelist Andrew Cotto on Giving Up Meat and Dairy for a Week. - The Beet - April 12th, 2020
- He Eats Meat But Owns Vegan Restaurantsand in the Wake of Coronavirus, He Thinks We All Need to Rethink Our Diets - VegNews - April 12th, 2020