Created for Greatist by the experts at Healthline. Read more
If youre looking to trim down, figuring out the secret sauce for saving muscle while losing fat can feel pretty overwhelming.
The good news: While its not always easy, its totally possible to lose fat and gain muscles at the same time. It just takes a little patience and planning. Trust us, we asked *a lot* of experts.
Losing weight is exactly what it sounds like: It means that the number on the scale is getting lower.
Your total body weight is comprised of lean body mass and fat mass, says Anna Em, certified personal trainer and creator of The Weight Training Goddess.
Your lean body mass is made up of muscle mass, water mass, bone mass, organs, and tissue. Therefore, if you lose weight, you could be losing fat or lean body mass.
Whats more, losing body fat while gaining muscle requires somewhat conflicting approaches. The traditional path for losing body fat is caloric deficit via diet and exercise.
Gaining muscle typically involves a caloric surplus, which supports the development of new tissue, says Elliot Upton, a National Academy of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer at Ultimate Performance and Head of LiveUP Online Coaching.
To muddle things even further, fat and muscle are closely linked, making it difficult to prioritize losing one without impacting the other, says Jonathan Jordan, a certified personal trainer, massage therapist, and group fitness instructor for Equinox in San Francisco, CA.
Fat loss is not the same as weight loss. And if you want to keep or gain muscle while losing fat, you need a very targeted approach.
Maintaining and building muscle while losing fat requires much of the same as just losing fat: You need to eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly, incorporating strength training into your workout routine.
These are consistent routines that you can try to maintain on a daily basis. In other words, you want to think beyond a fad diet that promises quick results.
And dont forget these additional tips:
A calorie deficit doesnt mean eating as little as possible.
I usually recommend three balanced meals composed of protein, starch, vegetables, and healthy fats, and two snacks composed of protein and fiber, says Paula Rubello, a registered dietitian.
Acting like food is the enemy is not the way to go here: If youre running on no calories or on very little calories, your body will need to take energy from your muscles, resulting in loss of muscle mass, she says.
To burn fat and not lose muscle requires both aerobic and strength training, says Wendy Bazilian, doctor of public health, registered dietitian, and an American College of Sports Medicine certified exercise physiologist.
Exercising regularly may be essential for losing fat and maintaining muscle, but that doesnt mean you should work yourself to the bone. Rest is just as essential.
According to Upton, overtraining and pushing yourself beyond the limit can cause excessive muscle protein breakdown (the opposite of what you want).
You also want to make sure youre getting enough sleep and working on lowering your stress levels. If you are over stressed and under slept, your body will hold onto body fat, Jordan says.
Keep these tips in mind when creating an exercise plan that works for you.
Aerobic exercise is key for losing fat, but it doesnt have to mean a daily HIIT class. High-intensity workouts can of course be great, but low impact and low intensity workouts can be equally beneficial.
Need some ideas? Bazilian recommends long walks, jogging, running, biking, dancing, Zumba, cardio boxing, swimming, rowing, and jump rope. Aerobic doesnt have to be hard, but it needs to be sustained, working up toward 45 to 60 minutes of sustained exercise, she explains.
If youre just starting out, do it in smaller bouts respecting your limits. This also helps with making your cells more receptive to taking in blood sugar and helps with insulin sensitivity, which can help the whole fat burning (and not fat storage) on a physiological level.
Cardio is necessary for burning fat, but strength training is necessary for building and maintaining muscle actually, its also necessary for burning fat.
A well-structured, progressive, and challenging resistance training program is one of the most effective tools for fat loss and body recomposition, Upton says.
Not only can lifting hard and heavy expend a decent amount of calories session to session, but as opposed to cardio, it actually builds muscle tissue, which will increase your basal metabolic rate. In other words? You can eat more and still lose. The ultimate goal!
When getting into a strength training routine, you want to consistently switch things up rather than fall into a pattern. Upton says that the possibility of so many variables is what helps you challenge your body and progress.
Some of the variables we can change are reps, sets, weight, tempo (speed during the movement), or total time under tension, range of motion, rest, angles, machines vs. free weights, he says.
And dont just focus on one part of your body targeted fat loss doesnt work.
Doing a systematic, but simple, head-to-toe routine shoulders, back (between the shoulder blades) and lats, biceps, triceps, abs, thighs, hips/buttocks, hamstrings, and calves can be very productive, says Bazilian.
Ditch those 2-pound dumbbells. Lifting heavy is key, says Upton, as increasing the weight better stimulates the muscle growth needed to improve body composition.
For those who are new to weightlifting, Upton recommends starting out by performing full-body workouts three times a week and following the core training principle of progressive overload.
Progressive overload is simply the incremental increase of stress placed on the body when training, he explains.
Remember, muscle growth comes from forcing the body to adapt to new and more challenging stressors in training. If you do not constantly challenge the body and give it fresh stimuli to adapt to, then it will never grow or improve.
Upton calls big compound exercises a great bang-for-your-buck way to recruit more muscle mass in training and burn more calories. Compound exercises include moves like squats, deadlifts, and pull-ups.
Prioritize these moves over isolation exercises like leg extensions and bicep curls if fat loss is your goal, he says.
These types of exercises stimulate the greatest release of human growth hormones, which help to preserve lean muscle mass, Anna says. She points out that theyre also ideal for anyone in a rush since they work so much of your body so quickly.
Youre excited about your new workout program, so you go really hard, really fast and then you end up injuring yourself or overworking your body. Nothing stops you faster than injury, Bazilian says. Get a game plan and tackle this one day at a time at a level you are able to do.
She recommends seeking help from a personal trainer or physical therapist if possible, or even just following a free or low cost online program and app created by real experts.
Letting your body recuperate from all of this work couldnt be more important.
One of the common reasons people lose so much muscle when they are dieting or trying to lose fat is that they train way too much, and this results in creating too much muscle breakdown, as opposed to improving performance and increasing muscle mass, Upton says.
Upton says that getting enough sleep is vital to the recovery process, noting the link between poor sleep and weight gain.
Its important to note that even sleep loss of up to 3 hours can lead to us lose more than 50 percent less body fat during a planned phase of weight loss, and actually lose more muscle tissue too, he says.
The most important thing is to include all nutrients in your diet (protein, fats, and carbs) and never eliminate a specific nutrient, Rubello says. A balanced diet that consists of three meals and two or three satisfying snacks is key.
At the same time, you do have to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat. You need to be burning more energy than you consume in a day, and the best way to do this is to eat a little bit less and move a whole lot more, Upton says. Creating and maintaining a calorie deficit is the secret behind any diet.
Ingesting an adequate amount of protein is necessary for preserving muscle tissue.
It helps to repair, rebuild, and maintain muscle tissue, which not only improves body composition, but also increases metabolic rate, Upton says. Protein-rich foods will fill you up and keep you full for a longer amount of time as well.
Bazilian recommends focusing on lean proteins like seafood, poultry, milk, yogurt, beans, nuts, and seeds.
Repeat after us: Carbs are not the enemy. Try to choose non-refined carbs and youll get plenty of benefits. They can boost performance and strength, and aid recovery from your workouts, improve thyroid function, as well as help you sleep better, Upton says.
He recommends eating carbs after a workout, when your body is most likely to use the glucose properly and refuel the muscle, and as the last meal of the day to aid in relaxation.
Vegetables are one of the healthiest ways to meet your vitamin and mineral needs, and according to Upton, they also suppress inflammation and aid in healthy digestion.
They are big in physical volume, but low in energy density, meaning you can eat plenty to fill you up without the calorie count climbing too high, he says.
Yes, youre trying to lose fat, but to do it, you need a good mix of healthy fat too. Fat is a great source of energy that can slow down digestion and suppress hunger between meals, Upton says.
Just monitor your intake and make the right choices. Nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocados are great options.
Intermittent fasting (IF) is basically only eating for a certain period of time during the day. For example, those who follow the 16:8 plan eat for 8 hours a day (like between 8 and 12) and fast for 16 hours.
IF can help train your body to burn body fat, reduce insulin resistance and avoid metabolic conditions like diabetes, Jordan says. Not every protocol is for everyone, but the evidence increasingly validates this as an effective way to improve body composition for many folks.
Drinking enough water is vital not just for losing fat and maintaining muscle, but also for just being healthy overall. Staying hydrated impacts metabolism, performance virtually every body function, Bazilian says.
It carries the nutrients we need to the cells and the cellular debris back from the tissues to the kidney, liver, or back to the intestines to be transported out of the body.
See the article here:
How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- How to lose those last few kilos the healthy way - Who - October 13th, 2020
- Active-living passions draw family doctor... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - October 13th, 2020
- Burn belly fat and get in shape fast by adding these workouts to your routine - TheHealthSite - October 13th, 2020
- Oregon nose tackle Jordon Scott never wavered from 2020 vision of playing for Ducks - The Register-Guard - October 13th, 2020
- Piers Morgan bashes Meghan Markle over her belief of being the most trolled person - The News International - October 13th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever in pyjamas after 3st weight loss in Happy Monday snap - The Irish Sun - October 13th, 2020
- From keto to intermittent diets: All you need to know - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Could eating more be the key to losing more weight? Here's why - Times of India - October 9th, 2020
- 6 Things you need to do every day to lose the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - October 9th, 2020
- The #1 Best Thing to Drink If You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 9th, 2020
- Most Ridiculous Diets That People Actually Try and the Reality Behind Them - Flux Magazine - October 9th, 2020
- This Berlin-based startup will help you lose weight via healthy intermittent fasting; raises 4.2M - Silicon Canals - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door - October 9th, 2020
- Fit and fabulous after 50 | Features | wfmz.com - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 9th, 2020
- Avoiding the temptation of unhealthy food Click Liverpool - Click Liverpool - October 9th, 2020
- How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling - October 9th, 2020
- What is keto diet, how does it impact your body? Is it risky? - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- American lost 55 kilograms and shared her secret of losing weight - The Times Hub - October 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Burn Some Calories With This Advanced Cardio Workout That Can Pump You Up Instantly! - NDTV - October 9th, 2020
- Do chia seeds really help with weight loss? Health benefits, nutrition facts and ways to include them in diet - Times Now - October 9th, 2020
- Dietitian, breast cancer survivor focuses on ways to avoid recurrence - Huntington Herald Dispatch - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Losing weight through dieting, exercising or combination methods - San Marcos Daily Record - October 4th, 2020
- College 101: 5 Health Reasons to Lose Weight - Daily Cardinal - October 4th, 2020
- Weight-loss tips from a woman who lost 122 pounds in her 40s - TODAY - October 4th, 2020
- HARRIET COLE: It's never too late to start losing weight - Goshen News - October 4th, 2020
- This Is The Worst Diet for Weight Loss, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- A Nutrition Expert Just Said This Is More Important Than Losing Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- Does Intuitive Eating Work? What Happened When I Tried Intuitive Eating - GoodHousekeeping.com - October 4th, 2020
- Weight Training Helped This Guy Lose 230 Pounds and Get Ripped in the Process - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- What You Should Know About How PCOS and Weight Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 4th, 2020
- All For Nothing? Top 4 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Any Weight - Be Global Fashion Network - October 4th, 2020
- The herbal supplement shown to boost sexual performance and encourage weight loss - Express - October 4th, 2020
- Foods that will help control appetite and reduce belly fat - The Indian Express - October 4th, 2020
- Where You Carry Body Fat May Affect How Long You Live - The New York Times - October 4th, 2020
- Study reveals enhancing blood sugar control boosts brain health for people with type 2 diabetes - Devdiscourse - October 4th, 2020
- This 80-Somethings Couple Share Their Secrets to Longevity - The Beet - October 4th, 2020
- Qualifier Trevisan's career takes off with stunning win - Yahoo Sports - October 4th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting doesn't help you lose weight, UCSF study suggests - CNBC - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - The Union Leader - September 30th, 2020
- Boris Johnson is 'fit as a butcher's dog' in need of walkies but heading in right direction - iNews - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020
- Edinburgh students claim they are losing weight and 'haven't eaten in days' - Edinburgh Live - September 29th, 2020