The question of how to lose belly fat is one that resounds around the internet because it's one of those universal Google questions. It's actually quite meaningless, because targeting 'belly fat' is very very hard. Losing fat in general, some of which will be around your belly, is fairly easy though. So, if you want to burn belly fat and get fit, this is our 'six-pack' ho ho of tips, cheats and strategies. Although there's no magic bullet, there are ways to burn belly fat (or 'lose weight' as we used to call it) that are tried, trusted and true.
Important note here, everyone: Belly fat these days is often referred to as visceral fat because that sounds scarier. If you really need to shed visceral fat because it's endangering your life, that is an area where you should probably be seeking medical advice. This is about slimming down a bit.
Our lose belly fat tips aren't necessarily quick, and this is not about telling you how to get six pack abs although we have a few articles on that topic. No, this is just a six pack of tips to getting a healthier life and feeling comfortable with the girth of your mid-riff. We're not looking to fat shame anyone here or totally bro out, we're just offering advice.
We've got some great tips, a few cheeky shortcuts and key strategies to lose belly fat quickly, healthily and sustainably. As we just said, there are no quick fixes here; we want you to develop habits that ensure you'll stay trim for good.Weve also got the lowdown on the best exercises to lose belly fat, and all the gear youll need to get started although, of course, the most important 'gear' is the bit between your ears.
There's no hard-and-fast rule for slim-down success: the best way to lose belly fat is the way that works around your lifestyle. If you follow an unsustainable plan, you won't last: it's as simple as that. In this article we lay out six principles that are applicable to everyone, whether you're a total beginner starting your weight-loss journey or a seasoned pro who fell off the wagon over Christmas.
These guiding lights will keep you on the straight and narrow, whether you've got time to hit the gym every day or a shift worker looking to manage your schedule. Dont try to take on more than you can reasonably fit into one day. And, despite the name of this feature, don't fixate on 'belly fat'. It's important to reduce visceral fat, which does tend to lurk around the belly area, but that is best achieved by trying to slim down and tune up overall.
Here are six strategies to help you start losing weight.
(Image credit: Getty Images)
The short answer to the question of how to lose belly fat is to burn more calories than you consume on a regular basis. In the fitness world, this is known as achieving a "calorie deficit".
If this sounds like a waking nightmare, there's a trick to it: what you need to do is ensure youre eating the correct kind of food to make sure you feel full and sated, even when consuming fewer calories than you're burning off. Certain foods are "empty calories" while others release energy slowly, keeping you fuller for longer.
But before that, you'll need to find a good way to track your calories burned and calories taken in. The free MyFitnessPal app is one of the best ways to record your calorie intake, but to track your calories burned, you'll need a dedicated fitness tracker. If you already own a smartwatch, most will offer calorie tracking as standard, but for those yet to make the plunge, the Fitbit Versa Lite is the best activity tracker you can buy right now. Check out the deal below.
Oh, and staying hydrated is crucial, as well
Fitbit Versa 2 | was 199.99 | now 159 at AmazonThe Fitbit Versa 2 is getting regular price cuts for the new year and is currently 40 off at Amazon and various other fine online retailers. The Versa 2 features advanced cardio tracking as well as the usual steps and sleep stuff, and has Alexa built in. It's also unusually stylish for a Fitbit.View Deal
Fitbit Versa Lite | was 149.99 | now 124.95 at AmazonThe Fitbit Versa Lite is the best affordable fitness tracker or smartwatch you can buy.It tracks deep and light sleep, steps, distance and calories, but that is barely scraping the surface of its capabilities. Via Fitbit's excellently presented app and sprawling ecosystem, you can use it as the basis of a complete fitness and diet programme. You can also enter your meals to log calories consumed, so you can have all your dietary data in one place.View Deal
Fitbit Versa Health & Fitness...
Fitbit Versa 2 Health &...
Fitbit Versa Lite Health &...
Fitbit Versa Special Edition...
Fitbit Versa 2, Special...
Fitbit Charge 3 Advanced...
GRADE A1 - Fitbit Inspire HR...
Fitbit Inspire Health &...
S'Well Marble Drinking Water Bottle | now 25.00 at John LewisIn this case beauty is more than skin deep. This bottle is vacuum sealed, which means it should be able to keep liquids warm for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours. Its stainless steel, has a capacity of 500ml and requires handwashing, and its definitely one for one-upping your co-workers boring flasks and supermarket specials.View Deal
BEEFit Biltong, 10 x 30g bags | now 16.99 on AmazonLooking for a calorie-dense but highly nutritional snack? Swap your bag of crisps or chocolate bar for biltong, a cured meat snack now in handy 30g bags, to keep yourself fuller for longer. It's packed full of protein to help build muscle after a workout, and comes in either BBQ or chilli flavour.View Deal
Intermittent fasting is becoming more and more popular. It involves significantly cutting calories or abstaining from food altogether for a portion of the day or week, and then cramming all your calories into a much shorter time window.
The best-known intermittent fasting plan is the 5:2 diet, where you eat as you normally would (although hopefully a bit healthier) for five days a week, then scoff no more than 600 calories two days a week.There are also variants of this diet where you consume almost no calories, two days per week. This is much more doable than it sounds, so long as you are in good general health, but it's not exactly fun.
However, for trainees who are serious but not that serious, there's the 16:8 diet. With this diet you have only 8 hours a day to fit all your meals in, but can only drink water (and maybe some black coffee, if you're feeling naughty) within a 16 hour fasting period outside of those 8 hours. Most choose to eat from 10am to 6pm, but as long as you stay within an eight hour window, you can start and finish at any time of the day. This isHugh Jackman's strategy, so if you have ever wanted to be in Wolverine shape
Why try fasting, though? Well, during the fasting period the body will run out of sugar to run on, and so will start eating up the bodys fat stores. The big negative is the adjustment period: if you're used to a big breakfast or an early dinner, a 16-hour fast feels tough at first, especially if you're exercising. You're going to get seriously cranky.
Soylent Nutrition Shake, Cacao (Chocolate), 12 Pack | now 35.00 on AmazonMarketed as a 'complete meal in a bottle' soylent is a perfect on-the-go quick feed for breakfast or lunch. With 20g of plant protein - to keep you going and slow-burning carbs to help you stay full, Soylent is vegan, gluten free, nut free, dairy free and low GI. At under 3 a shake, it's an ideal replacement to your usual hurried, bland supermarket meal deal.View Deal
Weight training is a great way to tip your muscle-fat ratio the right way
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Dead set on having chips? An air fryer can deliver a lot of the delicious taste with less of the not-quite-so-delicious oil
(Image credit: Future)
If you eat fried food all the time, switching to an air fryer will definitely cause you to lose weight unless buying one causes you to start eating loads of chocolate because you've reduced your fat intake. No, it doesn't taste as delicious as proper fried food of course not but it turns out meals with a good fried/roasted taste, but with up to 80% lower fat content.
If you don't eat fried food all the time but like to treat yourself now and then, switching to an air fryer could still help with you to lose weight. Even with a solid balanced diet and a good workout ethic, there will come a time when your willpower will falter and you'll want to fall back on your old favourites, like fried chicken, fish, chips and all the other foods you love normally dripping with grease. If you schedule in cheat days and do this in a controlled way, it's good to know you're cooking these foods in a way that still helps you hit your goals.
Enter the air fryer. The best air fryers are revolutionary pieces of kit that use hot air combined with a teaspoon of oil (as opposed to the gallons of oil found in the deep-fat variety) to cook your crispy favourites. If kitchen space and budget is no object, you can cook a whole chicken in the Philips Airfryer XXL, but if you're after something a little more economical, Ninjas AF100UK Air Fryer is lightweight, compact and versatile, perfect for portion control. Check it out below.
Ninja AF100UK Air Fryer | was 119.00 | now 89.00 at AmazonFry food guilt-free using comparatively very little oil and a blast of hot air. If you're a junk food addict, it's one of the best ways to arrange your cheat days so that you're still having guilt-free food while fitting your macros, calorie count or diet of choice. The Ninja model is lightweight, compact and versatile, also capable of roasting, dehydrating and reheating food in addition to the air fry function.View Deal
This is just one way to have your (fried) cake and eat it too. Swapping high-calorie pints of ice cream to the low-calorie versions like Halo Top or Oppo, or switching out cholesterol-laden butter for a healthier olive spread, are other easy ways you can make relatively simple lifestyle choices and still keep weight off.
There are two main types of exercise: cardio training and weights, otherwise known as resistance training.Although cardio burns a lot of calories while you do it, weight training builds muscle which burns more than fat as you go about your day. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn even when not working out.
Resistance training may seem scary if you're doing it for the first time, especially in the gym when the area's dominated by serious lifters, but you dont have to start adding big plates to the bar right now. There's plenty of ways to get started at home with smaller weights such as dumbbells, kettlebells and even medicine balls.
Were not going to list every single lifting exercise, so why not pick the body part you want to start toning up and check out some of our muscle-building how-tos. One you've done that, grab one of the best dumbbell sets on the market. They're not just for arms: you can use a dumbbell to work your core, shoulders, and even your legs with combination movements. Once you're comfortable in your own home, you can move on to more advanced equipment at the gym.
BodyPower 20 kg Cast Iron Spinlock Dumbbell set | was 59.99 | now 39.99 from Fitness SuperstoreYou just can't beat a good old pair of cast iron weights, and a testament to this is the fact they can be found under the beds of dads and granddads up and down the country. Get your own and they will last a lifetime and for all of their noisy, palm-chafing downsides, there is a kind of nostalgic loveliness to the spin collar set-up.View Deal
All of this aside, dont neglect cardio, as regular cardio workouts are important for fitness and stamina.
Electric Muscle Stimulation can help your muscles recover faster
(Image credit: PowerDot)
It may seem gimmicky when you unwrap your new six-pack vibrating belt, complete with a picture of Ronaldo on the box, but don't roll your eyes just yet. While you can't just sit there eating crisps and expect to get ripped, Electric Muscle Stimulators can help as part of a controlled dietary and exercise plan.
EMS can cause the muscles to contract, essentially tensing and untensing rapidly. During downtime post-workout, you can continue to encourage muscle growth with EMS, while the right bit of kit can also encourage faster recovery, allowing you to get back in the gym all the quicker. According to the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, EMS stimulates the muscle in the same way as a massage, prepping it for the next go-round.
It's not a bona fide shortcut to a six-pack, but it can speed up the muscle-building process with regular use.
(Image credit: Sixpad)
Our top choice is always SIXPAD as used by Cristiano Ronaldo, a man who takes great pride in his body. Perhaps a little too much pride, the unkind or jealous might say. Amazon also sells all manner of abs belts by brands we have never heard of, for about 20. Needless to say we dont recommend these.
PowerDot 2.0 - Smart Electric Muscle Stimulator | now 185 at AmazonAlternatively, the PowerDot 2.0 is a smartphone-controlled muscle stimulating monster.This neat muscle stimulator works from your phone, allowing you to control intensity, stimulation and goal. Reduce your recovery time and increase muscular performance, as the PowerDot working to support your gym schedule. This model has two stimulators, but you can scale up to four for 325View Deal
Planks are a tough abs workout and a great end-of-workout finisher
(Image credit: Taco Fleur from Pixabay)
As well doing both muscle-building and cardio exercises, if you want to lose belly fat its also important to switch up the pace of your workout.
Every time you workout, you should exercise using both steady state (working hard but not at max capacity, such as during brisk jog) and high intensity (going flat out, like sprinting) to torch your abdominal fat.
Steady state or aerobic exercises include cycling, running or uphill hiking.Its a crucial part of losing belly fat because it burns through your fat stores. However, it also uses your sugar stores for energy first, so you need to do steady-state for long enough to use up all that sugar before it eats into your fat reserves.
High intensity workouts use mainly sugar for fuel, so they don't hit the fat right away, but it does help in building muscle, which will help you torch fat even on days you're not exercising. Explosive weight lifting, sprinting and HIIT-friendly exercises like mountain climbers are all great high-intensity exercises.
A good fitness tracker will help you to gauge the intensity of your workout by monitoring your heart rate. For overall fitness trackers, check out the Fitbit Versa Lite above, but for a dedicated running watch, you can't beat the Garmin Forerunner 645, the best on the market right now.
Find out more about heart rate zone training
Garmin Forerunner 645 | now 276.93 at AmazonGarmin dominates the running/fitness watch category so totally, it's almost embarrassing for the competition. The most recent addition to their premium line, the Garmin 645, incorporates GPS and wrist heart-rate tracking, which is good for monitoring your resting and all-day rates. The 645 crunches a lot of data to suggest recovery times, make a decent stab at estimating your VO2 Max, tell you how optimal your training load and lots, lots more.View Deal
FitBit Aria 2 smart bathroom scale | was 119.95 | now 105.00 on AmazonThis clever scaletells you your weight, BMI and body fat percentage which is all a lot of people want. It then reports this to your Fitbit account, so you can monitor your weight trends and use it alongside your Fitbit wearable's daily calorie-burn estimates. Add MyFitnessPal or Fitbit's own dietary features and you can then sync your meal-plans, daily calories consumed and weight goals, if you want.View Deal
The most important thing to bear in mind is this: losing weight takes time. You'll have setbacks and slip-ups, but if you stay committed to your goal, you'll be fitter and healthier in 2020, building up great habits for many years ahead.
Need some help to get started? Check out all the latest deals on the kit you'll need to get fit in 2020.To start with, you'll need a killer playlist and a good set of workout headphones to listen to it on:
Beats By Dre Powerbeats Pro | now 219 on AmazonPowerbeats Pro are a 'game changer' for Beats; the quality of them is over and above anything the brand has produced before. Designed for workouts and running, the clever design of these true wireless buds means they stay still in your ears during even the most arduous physical jerks. Battery life is way better than most true wireless buds at 8-9 hours and they recharge incredibly fast.View Deal
Go here to see the original:
How to lose belly fat: 6 easy ways to burn visceral fat, feel fitter and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3
- Weight loss shock: Woman shed 3st and carved toned abs in just eight weeks with this diet - Express - March 30th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy at Home During the Coronavirus Lockdown - EcoWatch - March 30th, 2020
- We can get through this: How to manage your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - MarketWatch - March 30th, 2020
- Have a headache? The top 7 triggers - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - March 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the cheap breakfast juice to lower your chances of hypertension - Express - March 30th, 2020
- Wellness Tools: Good Food, Exercise, And Gratitude - Outlook India - March 30th, 2020
- Trials find invasive surgery is no better than medication at reducing heart attack risk - News-Medical.Net - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of the L.A. Chargers' Austin Ekeler, Whos Streaming His Workouts Like a Gamer - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Danny Trejo, Who's Banging Out Two-a-Days In Isolation - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- Diet and Exercise: Choices Today for a Healthier Tomorrow - March 27th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy (and Sane) While You Ride Out COVID-19 - Men's Journal - March 27th, 2020
- Get the Facts on Eating for Health And Boosting Your Immune System Naturally - Brownsville Herald - March 27th, 2020
- How essential oils can boost immunity and support health - ABC 4 - March 27th, 2020
- How to stay healthy at home during the coronavirus lockdown - DW (English) - March 27th, 2020
- Make the glass half full - Leadercourier-times.com - March 27th, 2020
- Working from home, Part 3: Managing the challenges of teleworking with kids at home - The Lane Report - March 27th, 2020
- Beating Covid-19: Risk avoidance and better health and diet solution - Bangkok Post - March 27th, 2020
- The secrets of the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- So is the diet with which Adele has lost more than 45 kilos - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- With games on hold, Michigan's health and welfare team takes charge - The Athletic - March 27th, 2020
- 10 Ways to Stick With Your Weight-Loss Goals When Youre Stuck at Home - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 27th, 2020
- My Diet To Beat The Lockdown Blues - Outlook India - March 27th, 2020
- 21-Day Lockdown: 10 Diet And Workout Tips That You Can Follow - NDTV News - March 26th, 2020
- An Exclusive With Dr. Sailaja Reddy on Building Immunity Through Diet and Exercise In Response to Coronavirus - India New England - March 26th, 2020
- Exercising discretion over lockdown rules - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Take It In: Control weight with meal timing, exercise - The Triton - March 26th, 2020
- 10-minute core and abs home workout to keep you fit during this lockdown - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- 8 Health Benefits Of Cherries, According To Nutritionists - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating Tofu And Plant Based Foods Is Associated With Lower Risk Of Heart Disease - Bel Marra Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating tofu linked to a lower risk of heart disease, says study - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- Is takeout safe right now? Should we do laundry daily? Sherrill and experts field pandemic questions in telephone town hall - Morristown Green - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood? Analyze the diet with the that Adele she lost 45 pounds - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- High Blood Pressure: Here's How Walking Can Help You Fight Hypertension; Other Tips To Lower Blood Pressure Numbers - Doctor NDTV - March 26th, 2020
- Many Young Athletes With Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction Are Misdiagnosed - Bicycling - March 26th, 2020
- 'My heartthrob days are over': Joe Wicks on health, happiness and training the nation - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Maintaining Your Wellbeing During Times of Stress - News Of The Area - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood; the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Understanding acute and chronic inflammation - Harvard Health - March 21st, 2020
- How to Workout and Train Effectively on a Vegan or Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- 5 Most Common Reasons People Give Up On Their Diet - Taste Terminal - March 21st, 2020
- Food: Seven reasons you're not losing weight - HeraldScotland - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Stuck at home? Heres what mental health experts say you should do to take care of your emotiona - MassLive.com - March 21st, 2020
- 'Wake up, millennials: Now is the time to prioritize your mental health,' therapist says of coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 21st, 2020
- Ring the Alarm: COVID-19 Presents Grave Danger to Communities of Color - Colorlines - March 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Fitness experts offer advice for fighting off the Quarantine 15 - Peace River Record Gazette - March 21st, 2020
- Keeping the heart healthy - sidneydailynews.com - March 21st, 2020
- How to boost your immune system and fight the coronavirus - Christian Post - March 21st, 2020
- High blood pressure: This simple exercise has been linked to lower blood pressure - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Immunity boosters to make you #CoronaSafe - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Build your immunity and take some control with tips from wellness experts - Buffalo News - March 21st, 2020
- Working Out on Keto: All You Need to Know - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Foods that beat fatigue: What to eat and other diet tips - Medical News Today - March 19th, 2020
- Exercise at Home to Avoid the Gym During COVID-19 Outbreak - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Treating Schizophrenia with Individualized Care - TippNews DAILY - March 19th, 2020
- Participants named in Go Red for Women heart-health makeover - Rome Sentinel - March 19th, 2020
- Health and Beauty News: Practice these diet tips to save your waistline during self isolation - Euro Weekly News - March 19th, 2020
- The most effective method to get thinner and get fit in 2020: 20 simple tips, diet hacks and exercise schedules to assist you with beginning - Globe... - March 19th, 2020
- 12 Burning Questions About Intermittent Fasting, Answered - Everyday Health - March 19th, 2020
- How Exercise Reduces Cabin Fever (Plus Home Workouts to Get Started) - BarBend - March 19th, 2020
- Nutrition For Women: Should It Be Different? - iAfrica.com - March 19th, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar: How much of the tonic should you drink to burn fat fast? - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Increase in cases of colorectal cancer in young adults - Medical News Bulletin - March 19th, 2020
- Ways To Boost Your Immunity On A Plant-Based Diet - Plant Based News - March 19th, 2020
- How to lose water weight and lead a healthier lifestyle - Business Insider Australia - March 19th, 2020
- Work From Home Tips: Beat The Laziness With These Tips To Stick To Your Health Routine By Nmami Agarwal - Doctor NDTV - March 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Manage Stress During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 19th, 2020
- Sports Nutrition in 2020: Plant proteins and beyond - Nutritional Outlook - March 19th, 2020
- Obesity is a chronic disease: heres how to fight it - Philippine Star - March 19th, 2020
- The Workout Routine and Intuitive Diet of a CrossFitter Turned World Champ Weightlifter - POPSUGAR - March 15th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and carve six pack abs in these six steps - what can you do? - Express - March 15th, 2020
- The best foods to boost your immune system and how to get more of them into your diet - Telegraph.co.uk - March 15th, 2020
- Even if you are virus-free, COVID-19 is affecting your health. Here's what to do - Scope - March 15th, 2020
- Forget expensive creams, its healthy living that can make your skin glow - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 15th, 2020
- What is OMAD diet: Why eating one meal a day isn't recommended by experts - Insider - INSIDER - March 15th, 2020
- Vance AFB upgrades health protection condition in face of coronavirus - Moore American - March 15th, 2020
- Sticking to cardiac rehab boosts survival chances after a heart attack - Medical News Today - March 15th, 2020
- 325th Fighter Wing Commander Declaration of HPCON A - WJHG-TV - March 15th, 2020
- A healthy diet can reverse the bad effects of smoking, stress - Free Malaysia Today - March 15th, 2020
- A nutritionists guide to a better nights sleep - Evening Standard - March 15th, 2020
- What is considered obese and why it doesn't always mean poor health - Business Insider Australia - March 15th, 2020