Is your new year's resolution is to lose belly fat and get fit? Although there's no magic bullet, there are ways to burn belly fat (or 'lose weight' as we used to call it) that are tried, trusted and true. That doesn't make them easy or quick, and this is not about telling you how to get a six pack although we have plenty of articles on that topic. No, this is just about having a healthy lifestyle and feeling comfortable with the girth of your stomach.
To that end we've got here for you proven advice and key tips to lose belly fat quickly, healthily and sustainably. As we just said, there are no quick fixes here; we want you to develop habits that ensure you'll stay trim for good.Weve also got the lowdown on the best exercises to lose belly fat, and all the gear youll need to get started although, of course, the most important 'gear' is the bit between your ears.
There's no hard-and-fast rule for slim-down success: the best way to lose belly fat is the way that works around your lifestyle. If you follow an unsustainable plan, you won't last: it's as simple as that. In this article we lay out five principles that are applicable to everyone, whether you're a total beginner starting your weight-loss journey or a seasoned pro who fell off the wagon over Christmas.
These guiding lights will keep you on the straight and narrow, whether you've got time to hit the gym every day or a shift worker looking to manage your schedule. Dont try to take on more than you can reasonably fit into one day. And, despite the name of this feature, don't fixate on 'belly fat'. It's important to reduce visceral fat, which does tend to lurk around the belly area, but that is best achieved by trying to slim down and tune up overall.
Here are five strategies to help you start losing weight.
(Image credit: Getty Images)
The short answer to the question of how to lose belly fat is to burn more calories than you consume on a regular basis. In the fitness world, this is known as achieving a "calorie deficit".
If this sounds like a waking nightmare, there's a trick to it: what you need to do is ensure youre eating the correct kind of food to make sure you feel full and sated, even when consuming fewer calories than you're burning off. Certain foods are "empty calories" while others release energy slowly, keeping you fuller for longer.
But before that, you'll need to find a good way to track your calories burned and calories taken in. The free MyFitnessPal app is one of the best ways to record your calorie intake, but to track your calories burned, you'll need a dedicated fitness tracker. If you already own a smartwatch, most will offer calorie tracking as standard, but for those yet to make the plunge, the Fitbit Versa Lite is the best activity tracker you can buy right now. Check out the deal below.
Oh, and staying hydrated is crucial, as well
Fitbit Versa 2 | was 199.99 | now 159 at AmazonThe Fitbit Versa 2 is getting regular price cuts for the new year and is currently 40 off at Amazon and various other fine online retailers. The Versa 2 features advanced cardio tracking as well as the usual steps and sleep stuff, and has Alexa built in. It's also unusually stylish for a Fitbit.View Deal
Fitbit Versa Lite | was 149.99 | now 116.38 at AmazonThe Fitbit Versa Lite is the best affordable fitness tracker or smartwatch you can buy.It tracks deep and light sleep, steps, distance and calories, but that is barely scraping the surface of its capabilities. Via Fitbit's excellently presented app and sprawling ecosystem, you can use it as the basis of a complete fitness and diet programme. You can also enter your meals to log calories consumed, so you can have all your dietary data in one place.View Deal
Fitbit Versa Peach Band...
Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch
Fitbit Versa - LITE Edition...
Fitbit Versa Special Edition...
Fitbit Versa 2 Special...
Fitbit - Charge 3 Special...
Fitbit Inspire HR, Fitness...
Fitbit Inspire, Fitness...
S'Well Marble Drinking Water Bottle | now 25.00 at John LewisIn this case beauty is more than skin deep. This bottle is vacuum sealed, which means it should be able to keep liquids warm for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours. Its stainless steel, has a capacity of 500ml and requires handwashing, and its definitely one for one-upping your co-workers boring flasks and supermarket specials.View Deal
BEEFit Biltong, 10 x 30g bags | now 16.99 on AmazonLooking for a calorie-dense but highly nutritional snack? Swap your bag of crisps or chocolate bar for biltong, a cured meat snack now in handy 30g bags, to keep yourself fuller for longer. It's packed full of protein to help build muscle after a workout, and comes in either BBQ or chilli flavour.View Deal
OXO Good Grips spiraliser | was 14.99 | now 12 on AmazonHand-held spiralisers can suffer from a teeny weeny little problem: if youre not careful you can end up spiralising your own flesh. The Good Grips spiraliser solves that by having a plastic food holder that you can use instead of having your fingers anywhere near the blades.If youre only spiralising for yourself its a simple and effective tool. Its dishwasher safe and easy to clean in the sink too.View Deal
Spiralizing vegetables is a great alternative to pasta
(Image credit: Flickr)
Intermittent fasting is becoming more and more popular. Hugh Jackman's method of choice to get lean for Wolverine, it means significantly cutting calories or abstaining from food altogether for a portion of the day or week, and then cramming all your calories into a much shorter time window.
The best-known intermittent fasting plan is the 5:2 diet, where you eat as you normally would (although hopefully a bit healthier) for five days a week, then scoff no more than 600 calories two days a week.
However, for serious trainees, there's the 16:8 diet (Hugh Jackman's strategy). With this diet you have only 8 hours a day to fit all your meals in, but can only drink water (and maybe some black coffee, if you're feeling naughty) within a 16 hour fasting period. Most trainees choose to eat from 10am to 6pm, but as long as you stay within an eight hour window, you can start and finish at any time of the day.
Why do it? During the fasting period the body will run out of sugar to run on, and so will start eating up the bodys fat stores. The big negative is the adjustment period: if you're used to a big breakfast or an early dinner, a 16-hour fast feels tough at first, especially if you're exercising. You're going to get seriously cranky.
Soylent Nutrition Shake, Cacao (Chocolate), 12 Pack | was 35.00 | now 24.00 on AmazonMarketed as a 'complete meal in a bottle' soylent is a perfect on-the-go quick feed for breakfast or lunch. With 20g of plant protein - to keep you going and slow-burning carbs to help you stay full, Soylent is vegan, gluten free, nut free, dairy free and low GI. At just 2 a shake, it's an ideal replacement to your usual hurried, bland supermarket meal deal.View Deal
Weight training is a great way to tip your muscle-fat ratio the right way
(Image credit: Getty Images)
There are two main types of exercise: cardio training and weights, otherwise known as resistance training.Although cardio burns a lot of calories while you do it, weight training builds muscle which burns more than fat as you go about your day. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you'll burn even when not working out.
Resistance training may seem scary if you're doing it for the first time, especially in the gym when the area's dominated by serious lifters, but you dont have to start adding big plates to the bar right now. There's plenty of ways to get started at home with smaller weights such as dumbbells, kettlebells and even medicine balls.
Were not going to list every single lifting exercise, so why not pick the body part you want to start toning up and check out some of our muscle-building how-tos. One you've done that, grab one of the best dumbbell sets on the market. They're not just for arms: you can use a dumbbell to work your core, shoulders, and even your legs with combination movements. Once you're comfortable in your own home, you can move on to more advanced equipment at the gym.
York Fitness 20 kg Cast Iron Spinlock Dumbbell | now 54.99 from AmazonYou just can't beat a good old pair of cast iron weights, and a testament to this is the fact they can be found under the beds of dads and granddads up and down the country. Get your own and they will last a lifetime and for all of their noisy, palm-chafing downsides, there is a kind of nostalgic loveliness to the spin collar set-up.View Deal
All of this aside, dont neglect cardio, as regular cardio workouts are important for fitness and stamina.
Electric Muscle Stimulation can help your muscles recover faster
(Image credit: PowerDot)
It may seem gimmicky when you unwrap your new six-pack vibrating belt, complete with a picture of Ronaldo on the box, but don't roll your eyes just yet. While you can't just sit there eating crisps and expect to get ripped, Electric Muscle Stimulators can help as part of a controlled dietary and exercise plan.
EMS can cause the muscles to contract, essentially tensing and untensing rapidly. During downtime post-workout, you can continue to encourage muscle growth with EMS, while the right bit of kit can also encourage faster recovery, allowing you to get back in the gym all the quicker. According to the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, EMS stimulates the muscle in the same way as a massage, prepping it for the next go-round.
It's not a bona fide shortcut to a six-pack, but it can speed up the muscle-building process with regular use. Check out our choice below: the PowerDot 2.0, a smart muscle stimulating solution you can control from your phone.
Thanks to the physical improvements wrought by SIXPAD, Ronaldo can lift suitcases with ease
(Image credit: American Tourister)
Alternatively there is always SIXPAD as used by Cristiano Ronaldo, a man who takes great pride in his body. Perhaps a little too much pride, the unkind or jealous might say. Amazon also sells all manner of abs belts by brands we have never heard of, for about 20. Needless to say we dont recommend these.
PowerDot 2.0 - Smart Electric Muscle Stimulator | now 185 at AmazonThis neat muscle stimulator works from your phone, allowing you to control intensity, stimulation and goal. Reduce your recovery time and increase muscular performance, as the PowerDot working to support your gym schedule. This model has two stimulators, but you can scale up to four for 325View Deal
Planks are a tough abs workout and a great end-of-workout finisher
(Image credit: Taco Fleur from Pixabay)
As well doing both muscle-building and cardio exercises, if you want to lose belly fat its also important to switch up the pace of your workout.
Every time you workout, you should exercise using both steady state (working hard but not at max capacity, such as during brisk jog) and high intensity (going flat out, like sprinting) to torch your abdominal fat.
Steady state or aerobic exercises include cycling, running or uphill hiking.Its a crucial part of losing belly fat because it burns through your fat stores. However, it also uses your sugar stores for energy first, so you need to do steady-state for long enough to use up all that sugar before it eats into your fat reserves.
High intensity workouts use mainly sugar for fuel, so they don't hit the fat right away, but it does help in building muscle, which will help you torch fat even on days you're not exercising. Explosive weight lifting, sprinting and HIIT-friendly exercises like mountain climbers are all great high-intensity exercises.
A good fitness tracker will help you to gauge the intensity of your workout by monitoring your heart rate. For overall fitness trackers, check out the Fitbit Versa Lite above, but for a dedicated running watch, you can't beat the Garmin Forerunner 645, the best on the market right now.
Find out more about heart rate zone training
Garmin Forerunner 645 | now 274 at AmazonGarmin dominates the running/fitness watch category so totally, it's almost embarrassing for the competition. The most recent addition to their premium line, the Garmin 645, incorporates GPS and wrist heart-rate tracking, which is good for monitoring your resting and all-day rates. The 645 crunches a lot of data to suggest recovery times, make a decent stab at estimating your VO2 Max, tell you how optimal your training load and lots, lots more.View Deal
FitBit Aria 2 smart bathroom scale | was 119.95 | now 79.88 on AmazonThis clever scaletells you your weight, BMI and body fat percentage which is all a lot of people want. It then reports this to your Fitbit account, so you can monitor your weight trends and use it alongside your Fitbit wearable's daily calorie-burn estimates. Add MyFitnessPal or Fitbit's own dietary features and you can then sync your meal-plans, daily calories consumed and weight goals, if you want.View Deal
The most important thing to bear in mind is this: losing weight takes time. You'll have setbacks and slip-ups, but if you stay committed to your goal, you'll be fitter and healthier in 2020, building up great habits for many years ahead.
Need some help to get started? Check out all the latest deals on the kit you'll need to get fit in 2020.To start with, you'll need a killer playlist and a good set of workout headphones to listen to it on:
Beats By Dre Powerbeats Pro | now 219 on AmazonPowerbeats Pro are a 'game changer' for Beats; the quality of them is over and above anything the brand has produced before. Designed for workouts and running, the clever design of these true wireless buds means they stay still in your ears during even the most arduous physical jerks. Battery life is way better than most true wireless buds at 8-9 hours and they recharge incredibly fast.View Deal
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020
- Edinburgh students claim they are losing weight and 'haven't eaten in days' - Edinburgh Live - September 29th, 2020
- Morning or Evening: Which is the Best Time to Exercise to Lose Weight? - News18 - September 29th, 2020
- Ideal weight for Indian men and women increased to 65-55kg: Here are a few tips to stay fit - Times Now - September 29th, 2020
- Doing intermittent fasting wrong could make you gain weight - Malay Mail - September 29th, 2020
- Tips to ditch post pregnancy weight without exercising - Times of India - September 29th, 2020
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestants Who Lost Weight on the Show - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 29th, 2020
- WEIGH TO GO: BELFAST PERSONAL TRAINER LAUNCHES ONLINE FITNESS BUSINESS - Love Belfast - September 29th, 2020
- The Incredible Journey of Jinh Yu Frey - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - September 29th, 2020
- Focus fitness journey on progress and laugh along the way | Molnar - Tallahassee Democrat - September 29th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020