We use euphemisms for all sorts of things in life, usually applying them to subject matter wed just as soon not talk about openly. We put an aged beloved pet to sleep instead of to death. Were between jobs, not unemployed. And so on.
When it comes to the body, things are no different. One is vertically challenged instead of short. Big boned, not overweight. And when a mans surplus fat deposits itself primarily beside his hips, we dont call it hip fat, we call it love handles.
And really, theres little to love about love handles they are prominent and stubborn, being some of the hardest fat buildups to lose. Drew Manning knows all about the woes of love handles, having worked to shed them along with 75 total pounds of excess fat back in 2011, and currently embarking on a journey to get fat once again just so he can get fit once again.
Yes, you read that right: right now, Drew Manning is doing his best to put on dozens of pounds of fat. Why? Because the first time this noted fitness and diet expert completed his Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit journey, he learned volumes not just about his own body, but about what people really go through as they try to lose weight, they being both the clients he coaches directly and every man and woman out there who is struggling on their own weight loss journey.
But this time, Manning will be 40 years old as he works to lose the love handles, drop overall weight and body fat percentage, and get himself back into the overall lean, cut shape hes used to. As we age, Manning says, we usually have a shift in hormones as men. Our testosterone can drop which can make it harder to hold onto or build lean muscle mass and if we continue to live in a caloric surplus (eating too many calories and not exercising enough), that body fat can start to accumulate pretty rapidly.
Lets not let that happen! And if its too late, lets do what Drew did once and will do again.
Loves handles, the fat that accumulates around the waist that kind of hangs over our pants on the sides, as Manning puts it, are all but unavoidable if you pack on excess body fat in general.Any increase in body fat will cause the love handles to grow, just like other areas of our body. For men, they simply tend to gain weight in the midsection and love handles area.
Our bodies are these amazing machines that have all kinds of built-in mechanisms to keep us from starving, but not a lot of mechanisms built in to keep us from overeating We have to be diligent about what we eat, how much we eat of it, and how we move our bodies, constantly finding what works best for us. Its important to be open to new ideas of nutrition, exercise, supplements, and even our own lifestyle.
Beyond choosing a diet that will have you in an overall calorie deficit, Manning recommends people try a keto diet or intermittent fasting. In the meantime, he says you should: Make sure youre getting in plenty of protein, lifting heavy weights, focusing on sleep and stress management, supplementing with vitamins D3 and K2, and getting outside in nature as much as possible.
Anything you can do that burns calories, from swimming to running to rowing to biking, is going to also burn up some of the fat deposited around your hips. And a diet that minimizes the calories you put back in, especially the fat calories, will only make your work more productive.
As for exercises that target love handles, a better approach, Manning says, is tostrengthen your overall core.
To that end, he recommends a few specific exercises:
One of the best ab workouts, the plank is a simple exercise in form, a serious challenge in practice. While belly down on the floor, lift up onto elbows at shoulder width, onto your toe tips, and keep your head up and back straight. Hold well into the burn, then break and repeat.
Roll outs start in almost the plank position, but you will be gripping a wheel with axles, a barbell, or another device that can roll as you straighten up like a rearing cobra, then roll your arms slowly out and lower your body to nearly flat on the ground, arms out.
For a proper squat, keep your feet shoulder width, your back straight and head up, and bend your knees to at least a 90-degree angle. As for weight, Manning says you can use kettlebells, kids, laundry detergent, whatever comes to hand and adds some weight.
- Kenergy Scientific INC. (KNSC) Has Changed Its Name to MedSmart Group Inc., and Has Done a Reverse Stock Split Effective November 23, 2020 -... - November 25th, 2020
- A Real Guy Offers Advice on How to Beat ED - HealthCentral.com - November 25th, 2020
- Doctor On Call: Should you be concerned about your testosterone levels? - North Coast Courier - November 22nd, 2020
- Sleep deprivation effects: 5 things that happen to your body when you don't get enough sleep - T3 - November 22nd, 2020
- Why it is difficult to lose belly fat after 40 and how to overcome this issue - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Lose Weight More Easily With a Bowl of Nettle Soup - Men's health UK - November 18th, 2020
- Key to hormonal health - The New Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- This quack diet is a waste of money and potentially harmful: Doctors - TimesLIVE - November 18th, 2020
- Ruto: I will defeat the deep state - The Standard - November 18th, 2020
- Outdoors: Appreciating the rut as deer mating season comes to end - Worcester Telegram - November 18th, 2020
- It's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Men Who Have a Low Sex Drive - InsideHook - November 12th, 2020
- That stubborn acne could be a sign of PCOS: Know how they are related - TheHealthSite - November 12th, 2020
- Can male enhancement drugs make the penis bigger and thicker? - ADOTAS - November 6th, 2020
- The Anabolic Steroids market to go the reverse transversal way in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Wellness Wednesday with a sneak peek of Fall-Tastic Showdown - ABC 4 - October 22nd, 2020
- High Testosterone in Premenopausal Women Linked to NASH - Hep Treatment News - October 18th, 2020
- Muscle loss can cause a range of health problems as we age but it can be prevented - The Conversation UK - October 18th, 2020
- Managing the menopause: symptoms, treatments and advice from the experts - harpersbazaar.com - October 18th, 2020
- Help Pennington with soldiers' study (lots of exercise, little sleep and food) and pocket $7,500 - The Advocate - October 13th, 2020
- The Hidden Reason Why You Can't Lose Weight, from an Expert - The Beet - October 13th, 2020
- Testosterone and weight loss: the evidence - October 3rd, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic September 25 - Medical News Today - September 25th, 2020
- 5 Celebrities Who Got Really Sick After Going on an All-Meat Diet - One Green Planet - September 20th, 2020
- Low testosterone: 12 signs and symptoms - September 16th, 2020
- The keto weight loss diet could help boost sperm count and quality, according to 2 case reports - Insider - INSIDER - September 11th, 2020
- Missed or irregular periods? Here's how to manage PCOS during the pandemic - PINKVILLA - September 11th, 2020
- The One Thing That's Giving Your Competitor The Edge - SwimSwam - September 10th, 2020
- Best Home Remedies For PCOS: Five Kitchen Ingredients to Help Combat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - India.com - September 8th, 2020
- Whats Really The Best Way To Maintain A Healthy Weight Over 50? - British Vogue - September 6th, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 6th, 2020
- 16 benefits of working out in the morning - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 treatment and diagnosis research started in unlikely places. As it should have. - NBC News - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Benefits of Testosterone - IMC Grupo - August 15th, 2020
- How long does it take to build muscle? - CNET - August 13th, 2020
- Investigation and management of erythrocytosis - CMAJ - August 12th, 2020
- Maybe its low testosterone? - The Durango Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Prorganiq: A Cure from the Nature - Zee News - July 30th, 2020
- Benefits Of Avocado: Avocado will add energy to the physique of males, this fashion must be consumed - Pledge Times - July 24th, 2020
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Can you still get pregnant if you have PCOS? - The Standard - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Ashwagandha: 8 Reasons To Include It In Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - June 13th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020