Ketogenic Diet: Here's a lowdown on what the diet actually entails.
Off lately, Keto diet has become a huge hit. The diet's success in managing weight - and thus, keeping blood sugar in control, as well as keeping cardiac risk factors at bay - has made it one of the most popular weight-loss diets. Our body gets its energy by burning sugar that is derived from carbohydrates, that is, glycogen. When the body runs low on sugar during a heavy workout it enters into starvation mode. When this happens, the body starts saving up its remaining reserves of sugar and starts burning fat for energy (fat reserve stored in adipose tissue). Then the body enters ketosis, a state in which your body burns fat rather than sugar for energy.
Ketogenic Diet involves a large portion of the energy in your body coming from fats.
If you are planning to follow the Ketogenic diet, it is essential to understand a few facts about it:
You should eliminate the C. R. A. P. = Carbohydrates, Refined Sugars, Artificial Foods, Processed Foods. Start by eliminating refined sugars and processed carbohydrates (such as bread, pasta, sugary drinks, energy bars, cereals, alcohol, sweets etc.).
This doesn't mean you can never have your favourite food again in the future! Once the diet is past the adaptation phase and the body has started burning fats, you can start experimenting with Keto versions of the food that you like the most.
The adaptation phase can be difficult and indicates how the person was eating before which can also lead to headaches, fatigue, and withdrawal for some people. So, don't forget to take it easy.
(Also Read:Lazy Keto Diet For Weight Loss: What Is It And How Effective Is This Variant Of Ketogenic Diet?)
Ketogenic diet needs to be adapted to, slowly.
If you are following the Keto diet and are able to succeed without any hiccups, then you should continue with the diet. But if you feel unwell, then it might be time to re-evaluate.
1. Listen To Your Body Needs
Some people incorporate dairy into their Keto journey while others do not. Your body will eventually send you signals as to how it reacts to certain food items.
2. Upgrade The Quality Of Nutrients
Consume healthy anti-inflammatory fats and organic produce as a source of high-value protein.
3. Changing Lifestyle Habits
To reap maximum benefits, it is important to stick to your eating plan and follow a healthy lifestyle. This includes regular exercise, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep and eliminating stress.
4. The body doesn't ride only on ketones but also depends on electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium. As sodium is lost during ketosis, the kidneys respond by reabsorbing more sodium while excreting more potassium into the urine. Hence, it is essential to incorporate food rich in potassium like bananas.
Signs of not having enough potassium in the diet:
5. When glucose is converted to glycogen inside the liver, it bonds with water, resulting in a more 'hydrated' body. It is always important to note that fat does not bond with water. During the state of ketosis, the body will not absorb as much water so the body will be less hydrated. Hence, it is important to be hydrated while following aketo diet.
(Also Read:What Is Keto 2.0? How Is It Better Than Keto Diet For Weight Loss? Expert Reveals)
Hydration is key during keto diet.
6. Lastly, remember that the Keto diet plan limits your food options and is harder to sustain for the long-term. Once you have achieved your desired weight, you don't have to stick to Keto diet.
About Author: Vasudha Gupta is a Clinical Nutrition Specialist and founder of Calorie Pod Nutrition. She works with an integrative approach of nutrition and enables sustainable weight loss. She completed her Post Graduate Diploma from Young Men's Christian organization and a certificate course on Healthy Eating from Harvard University.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
- Weight loss expert's 'simplest and most effective' way to burn fat with high protein plan - Express - November 28th, 2020
- Shawn Mendes lost sleep to work out and thought he'd lose fans if not - Insider - INSIDER - November 28th, 2020
- Don't Just Sit There: A Little Exercise Makes Up for a Full Day of Sitting - Everyday Health - November 28th, 2020
- Tara Sharma pens note on why physical activity is needed now more than ever before - The Indian Express - November 28th, 2020
- Diabetes as a condition can not entirely be reversed, it only enters Remission Mode, says Expert at ASSOCHAM's 'Illness To Wellness' Series -... - November 28th, 2020
- Lifestyle tips to help keep your body and mind healthy during the pandemic - Yahoo! Voices - November 28th, 2020
- HEART OF WELLNESS Immune-strong movement and nutrition - Barnstable Patriot - November 28th, 2020
- What is brown fat? Know how it can protect you from diabetes, obesity - Times Now - November 28th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic November 27 - Medical News Today - November 28th, 2020
- Prostate cancer: Survivors talk radiation, loose bowels and battling a disease more common than you think - CNA - November 28th, 2020
- The Effects of Doing Body-Weight Exercises Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 28th, 2020
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Ate and Trained Like Eddie Hall - menshealth.com - November 25th, 2020
- Diet to exercise: FSSAI suggests these post-festival tips to resume a healthy routine - The Indian Express - November 25th, 2020
- Diabetes: Facts you should know in the era of COVID-19 - Q City Metro - Qcity metro - November 25th, 2020
- What Is the Endomorph Diet? What Can You Eat on the Endomorph Diet? - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 25th, 2020
- Swollen Stomach and Weight Gain: Causes of Abdominal Bloating - Healthline - November 25th, 2020
- What are some of the best diets for men? - Medical News Today - November 25th, 2020
- Here are a few tips to keep yourself healthy amidst winters - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: One of the best diets to help with insulin resistance and obesity - Express - November 25th, 2020
- Market America | SHOP.COM Shares Five Ways To Help You Avoid Excess Sugar While Still Enjoying The Holidays - PR Web - November 25th, 2020
- Justin Herbert Who Lives on Subway Sandwiches - GQ Magazine - November 25th, 2020
- Henry Cavill full body workout: Get as strong as Superman and The Witcher - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Do Chemicals Cause Breast Cancer? Its Unknown, but Two Researchers Say That the Government Should Do More to Protect Women - SurvivorNet - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Lose Belly Fat With This Quick Lower Abs Workout That Can Be Done In Just 20 Minutes - NDTV - November 25th, 2020
- Obesity and pets - Illinois Times - November 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: Two things that helped Nita Ambani lose 18 kilos - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Dieting downfalls and the promise of a non-diet approach - Daily Cardinal - November 25th, 2020
- Working out in a polluted city? Here are some exercises you must avoid doing as air pollution rises - Times Now - November 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: get in shape before it all goes wrong again during the holidays - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Exercise nutrition: whether you should eat before or after a workout depends on your fitness goals - The Conversation UK - November 16th, 2020
- Strict diets can deprive us of our happiness and health - The Aggie - November 16th, 2020
- Polo G on His New Album 'The Goat,' Workout Routine, and Complicated Diet - menshealth.com - November 16th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Witcher workout: a full body workout in just 5 moves plus a diet based on lots of protein - T3 - November 16th, 2020
- Lockdown: Survey finds that many in SA gained weight, despite trying to lose a few kilos - Health24 - November 16th, 2020
- Fitness: Outdoor exercise is the new normal even for winter - Montreal Gazette - November 16th, 2020
- The importance of knowing your family health history - PhillyVoice.com - November 16th, 2020
- How Diabetes can affect your eyes and what you can do to avoid those complications - wmar2news.com - November 16th, 2020
- Mary Trump says terrible diet and lack of exercise will prevent Donald Trump from running in 2024 - Queerty - November 16th, 2020
- Dr Norman Lazarus has a simple and direct message when it comes to living longer, healthier lives - The Canberra Times - November 16th, 2020
- Over-the-counter diet pills: Do they really help you lose weight or harm your health? - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- The hard truth about losing weight why speeding up your metabolism for weight loss is a myth - Business Insider Australia - November 16th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Steps to improve metabolism for the prevention of diabetes - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Here's how to maintain blood sugar levels, starting from your gut - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Breaking up with diet culture: A dietitian on how to ditch the toxicity - Women's Agenda - November 16th, 2020
- Confined indoors? Heres how to boost your immunity |India Today Insight - India Today - November 16th, 2020
- Home and Away's Ethan Browne: 'My health and workout secrets' - New Idea - November 16th, 2020
- Questions and Answers About Your Immune System and Winter - Healthline - November 16th, 2020
- Causes of Heartburn During Exercise and What to Do About It - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 16th, 2020
- How to Lose Inner Thigh Fat: Causes and Toning Exercises - Greatist - November 3rd, 2020
- Learning to Actively Pursue the Light at the End of the Tunnel - Charcot-Marie-Tooth News - November 3rd, 2020
- Healthy diet, exercises are pivotal in preventing cardiovascular diseases WHO - - The Eagle Online - November 3rd, 2020
- A deep dive into diabetes in Arkansas | Wear the Gown - THV11.com KTHV - November 3rd, 2020
- 'My Diet Was All Over The Place Until I Started Counting Macros With The Strong Daily App' - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 3rd, 2020
- Polarity Balancing: Benefits, Exercises, How to Find a Practitioner - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- Kareena's advice to women who conceived during the pandemic - Daijiworld.com - November 3rd, 2020
- This Guy Ate And Trained Like Conor McGregor And The Cardio Session Alone Looks Like Absolute Murder - BroBible - November 3rd, 2020
- 5 things to know about Vitamin D - StarNewsOnline.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment and Beyond - SurvivorNet - November 3rd, 2020
- What Is Preventive Cardiology? What Doctors Want You To Know About the Emerging Field in Heart Health - Well+Good - November 3rd, 2020
- Weight loss: This guy changed his diet every 10 days and lost 50 kilos! Here's what he ate - Times of India - November 3rd, 2020
- How to exercise to lose weight and build muscle at the same time - Daily Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Kate Middleton's green juice with blueberries and matcha is key to flat stomach diet - Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Henry Cavill Workout: How to Do It, Cautions, and More - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- 6 scientifically-proven techniques students can use to relieve stress this school year - Insider - INSIDER - November 3rd, 2020
- Video of Husband Exposing Cheating Wife is Going Viral: Trending Topics, Viral Videos & Funny Memes of The - LatestLY - November 3rd, 2020
- Do you have a sitting job? Here are 7 quick desk exercises to prevent neck and back pain - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Metabolic Renewal Review: Pros, Cons, and Effectiveness - Healthline - October 28th, 2020
- I got a whole new mindset: the health secrets of people who got much fitter in lockdown - The Guardian - October 28th, 2020
- Simple Tips And Tricks To Make Your Diet Healthier: You Must Try These! - NDTV - October 28th, 2020
- How do you calculate your calorie intake? Know some tips, recipes on how to lose weight with exercise and diet - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Here's What We Know About the Diet Fuelling Rebel Wilsons Fitness & Weight Loss Journey - POPSUGAR Health and Fitness Australia - October 28th, 2020
- If Your Heart Health Is at Risk, Your Partner Should Get Checked Too. Here's Why - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2020
- Eat to beat diabetes: Delicious ways to reverse and transform your health explains Gurmeet Arora - PINKVILLA - October 28th, 2020
- Noom diet: The virtual weight loss program taking the world by storm explained - 9Coach - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (US) - October 28th, 2020
- Link between early menopause and osteoporosis - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- Adele and Pippa Middleton Both Swear By the 'Sirtfood Diet' -- Here's Why Its Founder Says It Works - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 28th, 2020
- Can a Plant-Based Diet Reduce the Risk of Breast Cancer? - LIVEKINDLY - October 28th, 2020
- OPINION | Chronic diseases, immunity and nutrition. Nutrition is important now more than ever! - Health24 - October 28th, 2020
- Eat well, be well - NZ Register of Exercise Professionals - Voxy - October 28th, 2020