Drinking alcohol and losing weight might sound like one of those "you can't have your cake and eat it too" scenarios (sorry for the cake visual!), but it doesn't have to be. If imbibing is part of your social schedule or just a go-to way to unwind, you don't have to give it up entirely.
Can you really drink alcohol and lose weight? You bet, if you follow these six steps.
Image Credit: martin-dm/E+/GettyImages
But (of course there's a but) if your average night out or Zoom happy hour currently features more than a few margaritas or craft beers, you may need to rethink your drinking.
Alcohol is a source of calories, after all. And one way those calories differ from, say, macronutrients like carbs, fat and protein, is that they can impair your judgment which can affect the food choices you make while drinking. Regularly pairing your drinks with fried bar food or late-night pizza and nursing a hangover with an epic breakfast the next morning will most certainly sabotage your weight-loss goals.
Wondering how to calculate your calories for weight loss? Download the MyPlate app to do the job and help you track your intake, so you can stay focused and achieve your goals!
It is possible to drink alcohol in a healthy way and still lose weight, though. Here are six tips to make it happen.
We know, this one seems obvious, but it still needs to be said. The published research on the health benefits of drinking are on moderate drinking, not binge drinking.
So, what is moderate? This means one drink per day for women and up to two drinks a day for men, according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are compiled by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The one- or two-drink rule isn't intended as an average, but rather the amount you consume on any single day.
The other key factor is understanding what "one drink" really means:
Sticking to these servings and moderate drinking guidelines will help you with your weight-loss goals.
In fact, an August 2019 study published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine found that male and female drinkers have lower odds of developing obesity compared to non-drinkers, but heavier drinking, especially in women, is associated with higher odds of becoming obese.
If you're trying to lose weight, knowing which drinks are lower in calories and sugar will definitely serve you.
Mixing up a tequila on the rocks with lime rather than a margarita will save you almost 200 calories and a whole lot of sugar.
Image Credit: bhofack2/iStock/GettyImages
Ditch drinks with multiple liquors or high-calorie mixers. A Long Island iced tea, for example, has a whopping 240 calories and 20 grams of carbs, and a margarita clocks in at 275 calories and 36 grams of carbs.
Instead, opt for some of the lower-calorie options mentioned earlier. Try a vodka and soda, and add a splash of grapefruit juice or lime juice if you're looking for more flavor. You can also try tequila on the rocks with lime, which has just 96 calories.
If you're sacrificing food calories for booze calories, you may think it's perfectly fine to skip a meal in lieu of a "liquid dinner." Not the case.
Science shows having food in your stomach slows alcohol absorption. In fact, your alcohol blood content may not reach a quarter of what it would on an empty stomach.
Plus, it can help you avoid the "drinking munchies," which is when you feel hungry after a couple of drinks. There's actually a very good scientific reason why they occur: If you have a few drinks on an empty stomach, your liver can be blocked from releasing stored glucose into the bloodstream, which can lead to low blood sugar and cause you to feel hungry, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Instead, eat a meal balanced with fiber and protein before drinking. This will help absorb the alcohol and stabilize your blood sugar levels.
When you're imbibing in a drink that "goes down easy," that likely means it'll go down quickly, too. And when that happens, especially if you're out with friends, you might be looking for a second or third drink.
Instead, go for a drink that's meant to be sipped slowly; a stronger drink like a dry martini or even one of your favorite liquors served neat or straight up. This will slow down your drinking, which will allow you to enjoy your drink and company more without overdoing it.
If you're drinking more than your one or two drinks per day, alternating your cocktails with water is a good idea, even if you aren't trying to lose weight. This trick slows down your drinking and keeps you hydrated (bye-bye, hangover!). You can even sip soda water the bubbles may help you feel full and ultimately help you drink less.
Originally posted here:
How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM
- Lockdown weight loss story: From an overweight kid to a fitness blogger, this guy's weight loss journey is incredible! - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Trying to shed extra kilos? Include these 6 snacks to achieve your goals - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- This Guy Shared What He Has Learned After Doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 Years - Men's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss: how the Remarkable Places to Eat chef shed 12st - The Scottish Sun - June 30th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Try these desi weight loss breakfast recipes - India TV News - June 30th, 2020
- Yo Gotti Reveals A Massive Weight Loss Of 40 Pounds - Celebrity Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss: Here's how I lost 10 kilos in 3 months post my C-sec delivery - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Film Study: Why Skinny Jokic Should Thrive, Not Struggle In Nuggets Return - Forbes - June 30th, 2020
- Understanding The Link Between Hypertension And Obesity: Know How To Regulate Your Blood Pressure Numbers - NDTV Doctor - June 30th, 2020
- Should You Exercise On An Empty Stomach? Here's What The Experts Say - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Bad For You? Dangers Of The Low-Carb Diet - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rob Kardashian's Body Evolution Through the Years - MSN Money - June 30th, 2020
- Were all big guys: To hit their weight goals without provided meals, BSU football linemen had to adapt - The Star Press - June 30th, 2020
- Sixers' Zhaire Smith will miss Orlando restart with knee injury - PhillyVoice.com - June 30th, 2020
- First-person account: I got COVID in Boise. I'm fine, but here's what I went through - boisedev.com - June 30th, 2020
- Cork couple tell of simple tips that saw them lose five stone during lockdown - Irish Mirror - June 30th, 2020
- What Is The Mayr Method Diet Rebel Wilson Is Using To Lose Weight? - Women's Health - June 26th, 2020
- Smriti Irani shares a relatable post on the struggles of losing weight; it will make you laugh out loud - Times of India - June 26th, 2020
- The incredible weight loss of one of the best props in rugby history - Rugby OnSlaught - June 26th, 2020
- Man shed nearly 300 pounds, credits massive weight loss with helping him beat coronavirus, find love - Home - WSFX - June 26th, 2020
- How did Teen Moms Chelsea Houska lose all her weight? - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- Collagen and your weight: The myth and merits - All4Women - June 26th, 2020
- How Chris Moyles shed 5st in weight loss transformation by ditching bread for juice and working with David - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- After two miscarriages I gave up comfort food and lost nine stone to fulfil my dream of becoming a mum - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- Sexual Abuse and Eating Disorders: What's the Connection? - PsychCentral.com - June 26th, 2020
- The man shed nearly 300 pounds, credits massive weight loss with helping him beat the coronavirus, finding love - NewsDio - June 26th, 2020
- Protein Powder with Coffee: Benefits, Downsides, and How To - Healthline - June 26th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: Does it work? - TODAY - June 25th, 2020
- Rowing for Weight Loss: Calories Burned, Workout Plans, and More - Healthline - June 25th, 2020
- Not losing weight anymore? This can help - Jill Lopez - June 25th, 2020
- Resurge Reviews: Does It Really Work? [2020 Update] - Riverfront Times - June 25th, 2020
- Common foods that help you lose weight much faster - Checkersaga - June 25th, 2020
- When I Started Eating A Plant-Based Diet And Walking For Weight Loss, My Body Changed Almost Instantly - Women's Health - June 25th, 2020
- Four dals that are best for weight loss - Times of India - June 25th, 2020
- 5 Foods that will help you lose weight + recipes - All4Women - June 25th, 2020
- Homemade weight loss shakes to help stay in shape - Times of India - June 25th, 2020
- The pandemic, body image, and what matters most - al.com - June 25th, 2020
- 'I Lost 125 Lbs. With Rachel Hollis' Last 90 Days Challenge And Intuitive Eating' - Women's Health - June 25th, 2020
- Must be inclusive and diverse HUL drops Fair from their Fair & Lovely product line - ThePrint - June 25th, 2020
- Connor Wickham on breaking his duck, losing weight and his Sheffield Wednesday future - Yorkshire Live - June 25th, 2020
- MENTAL HEALTH: Why it's vital to seek support if you are having problems - Ilkley Gazette - June 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose your lockdown belly fat in 2 weeks - Express - June 20th, 2020
- Problem is everyone is trying to be good and perfect: Lifestyle coach, author Luke Coutinho - The New Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Healthy Diabetes Diet Helps Blood Sugar and Weight Management - The Good Men Project - June 20th, 2020
- 'Man of the Year' Andy's amazing transformation after losing more than 5st - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 20th, 2020
- Experts say lockdown is a good time to think about healthy eating and lifestyle choices - The Sunday Post - June 20th, 2020
- Hes Horncastles Man of the Year - Horncastle News - June 20th, 2020
- What Is the Lazy Keto Diet? - Can You Lose Weight on the Lazy Keto Diet? - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 19th, 2020
- Gemma Collins reveals her desires to have a baby in her forties, talks losing weight to try to get pregnant - Yahoo Sports - June 19th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts behind Adeles weight loss diet share the ultimate healthy snack - Express - June 19th, 2020
- The truth about the lazy keto diet - The List - June 19th, 2020
- Food mistakes to avoid during the lockdown if you are trying to lose weight - The Standard - June 19th, 2020
- Weight loss: Can the colour of your plate influence the numbers on your scale? - TheHealthSite - June 19th, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: From stress buster to weight loss; 7 reasons you cannot say no to yoga - Catch News - June 19th, 2020
- How Heat Inspired Derek Cianfrance and Mark Ruffalos Collaboration on I Know This Much Is True - Variety - June 19th, 2020
- The importance of physical activity for the over 40s - Wales247 - June 19th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson Is Teaching Her Daughters About Weight and Body Image - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 19th, 2020
- If losing your job to the pandemic destroyed your identity, here's how to find it - KTVZ - June 19th, 2020
- Using OMAD Diet Days And Weighing My Food, I Lost 195 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years - Women's Health - June 17th, 2020
- CHARLES ROMANS: Before calories and inches | Opinion - The Independent - June 17th, 2020
- Are the Rockets worried about James Hardens pre-existing condition? - Space City Scoop - June 17th, 2020
- 5 tips to shedding the 'quarantine 15': 'It's not just about looking in the mirror and trying to look fantastic' - Yahoo News - June 17th, 2020
- Three healthy foods that will keep you fit during quarantine - The Standard - June 17th, 2020
- One size doesn't fit all: the truth about working with a Financial Advisor - Gazettextra - June 17th, 2020
- Running to lose weight: Does it really work? - TODAY - June 16th, 2020
- How to Gain Weight Fast and Safely - Healthline - June 16th, 2020
- Knowing your BMR is crucial for losing weight -- here's how to find yours - CNET - June 16th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I could not fit into the outfit I really wanted, so I lost 20 kilos in just 7 months! - Times of India - June 16th, 2020
- Senna Tea: Benefits, Weight Loss, and Precautions - Healthline - June 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Expert shares effective ways to burn belly fat fast - Express - June 16th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows dramatic transformation after weight loss in her new photos; Stuns in a bright blue outfit - PINKVILLA - June 16th, 2020
- Dwayne Haskins has lost a ton of weight this offseason and looks jacked (Photo) - FanSided - June 15th, 2020
- Nuggets All-Star Nikola Jokic appears to have lost a lot of weight, but is that good for his game? - CBS Sports - June 15th, 2020
- Switching to Ozempic(R) from another GLP-1 RA significantly reduced blood sugar and weight in people - PharmiWeb.com - June 15th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her curves in summer dress after lockdown weight loss - The Sun - June 15th, 2020
- LeptoConnect Reviews Does It Really Work? - News Anyway - June 15th, 2020
- Intuitive eating can help burn fat the 10 diet principles to know - The Sun - June 15th, 2020
- Switching to Ozempic from another GLP-1 RA significantly reduced blood sugar and weight in people with type 2 diabetes in routine clinical practice -... - June 15th, 2020
- Weight Loss: 5 Bed time habits that will help you to hit your goals - PINKVILLA - June 15th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tricks: The Five Things Nutritionists Force You To Do Daily To Reduce Abdominal Fat And Lose Weight - Explica - June 15th, 2020