Dieting can be an overwhelming experience. Choosing a diet type is tough. So, ask yourself some basic questions to make it a little less stressful.
Choosing a diet isnt easy. Where do you even start? Keto? Paleo? Atkins? Mediterranean? Some variation of all of the above, that includes something you can actually enjoy? Some diet types have been around a long time, while others burst into attention every once in a while, capturing everyones attention before fading away and leaving in even more confusion in an already complex situation. With all the information out there, it can be difficult to narrow down your choices.
But dont fret, because choosing a diet is not as hard as choosing to diet. Youve already taken a hard step, and with a little guidance you can start down the path towards better health.
Answering some basic questions can help narrow down your choices. Be honest with yourself, and use what you learn from the following questions to target a few diet options.
What are My Goals?
The diet you choose should reflect not only your goals, but what you expect from changing what you eat. Think about what you want the outcome to be.
Are you interested in maintaining weight and eating healthier? Or are you trying to lose weight? Do you want to count calories? How about carbs? Maybe a low-carb diet works or focusing on smaller meals throughout the day.
Consider your approach to exercise. Are you interested in fitness or gaining muscle? Diets that are high in protein can help with that.
Focusing on your goals helps you find different paths to the finish line. If youre not sure where to start, try talking to a dietician.
If you want to focus on losing weight only, then you need to consider the calories in and the calories out how much you eat versus how much you consume every day. Consume more than you eat and your weight will drop, but this is a simplistic approach that doesnt consider other aspects related to your health, such as nutrient intake and vitamins. It also doesnt consider your body type.
What is My Body Type?
Having an awareness of your body type is important when it comes to choosing a diet. There are basically three different categories that most people fall into.
While your body type probably most aligns with one of these three, many people have characteristics of all of them. Its also important to know that whatever body type you are, its possible to lose weight and develop muscle. Understanding your body shape can go a long way toward choosing the best diet and improving your health.
How Much Time Do I have to Cook?
The top diets of the year, ranked and explained
Picking the proper diet has to take into account your current lifestyle. Eating home-cooked meals helps with weight loss. But that may not be realistic for you. How much time do you have per week to prepare your meals? Are you comfortable cooking, or do you usually eat out? A new diet can be doomed from the start if it requires too drastic a change to food choice and lifestyle.
Cooking is not mandatory in dieting, but it can be an important ally. Studies have shown that the food we cook tends to be healthier than what we buy, and you also have complete control over what you include in your food.
What is My Budget?
Some diets can be pricey, since they may require special ingredients or meal replacements. Thats not even considering membership to a gym or the cost of exercise equipment. Actually sitting down and coming up with a budget for a proposed diet is key to sustaining it. If you need to, look into different alternatives to minimize the financial stress of an expensive diet although in truth, dieting shouldnt really be expensive.
If you diet is asking you to exclusively eat some things, which also turn out to be expensive, you might want to consider if this is actually the best approach.
When and How am I Going to Exercise?
You may not like to exercise, but it is a vital component to taking your fitness and health seriously. You dont have to train for a marathon or take up kickboxing, but its important to make space for exercise in your plans. In addition to helping control your weight, regular exercise can improve your mood, increase your energy, and even help control food choices.
Healthy adults should try for at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity per week. But this can vary depending on factors like weight and age. Talk to your doctor or a personal trainer to help come up with the best plan for you.
What Types of Food Do I Like?
You dont have to torture yourself on a diet. In fact, the more you like the foods that make up your diet, the more likely you will stick with it. Many low-calorie diets will swap calorie-dense foods like meat and bread for more nutritious options like vegetables. If you dont love eating something like fish, dont pick a diet that incorporates a lot of fish. It seems simple. But ask if the food youll be eating is sustainable for you.
Answer Honestly to Find What Works Best
Its important to be realistic about your diet options. If youre looking to simply lose weight, for example, youd think that the diet that can drop the most pounds would be best. But what if it requires you to eat food you hate? What if it is cost prohibitive? These answers are important. They may be the key to finding a sustainable diet. Thats because the bottom line is the best diet for you is the one you can stick to.
Here is the original post:
How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science
- Weight loss benefits that go beyond slimming - Times of India - March 31st, 2020
- Honor your body and improve your health in the process - Charlotte Post - March 31st, 2020
- Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- Stress Wont Kill You, But Your Reaction To It Might - Ponoka News - March 31st, 2020
- Other Sports: Weighty task for Prem - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- Looking About in Mendocino County during coronavirus: A place of gratefulness - The Willits News - March 31st, 2020
- Masterchefs Gregg Wallace takes on Joe Wicks with workout routine - Metro.co.uk - March 30th, 2020
- Building Toward the Long-Term Financial Future: Needs, Wants, and Wishes - The Ticker Tape - March 30th, 2020
- The Incredible Body Transformation of Jorge Masvidal Over The Years - Essentially Sports - March 30th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Jessica shows off new face and body after $111K plastic surgery makeover - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 'I wasnt in a good place' Kedren loses amazing 3.5st to help turn life around - Stoke-on-Trent Live - March 30th, 2020
- How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER - March 30th, 2020
- Is Consuming Coffee & Lemon Together Beneficial? Explore 3 Most Common Claims about the Mix - Krishi Jagran - March 30th, 2020
- From baking bread with just 3 ingredients to 1 tacos easy recipes to boost your mood during coronavirus lo - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- How X-FACTOR #87 (1993) Changed My Concept Of What A Comic Book Could Be - Monkeys Fighting Robots - March 30th, 2020
- William & Mary coaches adjust through communication and technology - William & Mary News - March 30th, 2020
- Inspirational Reading mum's touching gesture to husband with incurable cancer - Get Reading - March 30th, 2020
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fasting - Men's Health - March 28th, 2020
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL: Simple mindset shifts that will help you lose weight - The Bakersfield Californian - March 28th, 2020
- What to do during the coronavirus quarantine if you're on a diet - USA TODAY - March 28th, 2020
- Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health amid coronavirus - New York Post - March 28th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty - March 28th, 2020
- Easy egg salad recipes for weight loss - Times of India - March 28th, 2020
- It switch! The new beach body of Adele after losing weight about 70 kilos in the last decade - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Weight loss with intermittent fasting? Three readers share their success story: I lost no less than 51 kg in 8 months - The KXAN 36 News - March 28th, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - ExaminerLive - March 28th, 2020
- Man praises NHS staff after his 86-year-old father recovers from coronavirus - Nottinghamshire Live - March 28th, 2020
- Overweight to extreme thinness, Adele is concerned about his fans for his new look - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Couple lose 15 stone after being left mortified by picture of them dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum - MyLondon - March 28th, 2020
- From radiant skin to boosting immunity, everything you need to know about saffron - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020