Hormonal imbalances, stress, weight gain life after 40 and beyond can be hard if we look at it through the single lens of responsibility and age. But it can also be liberating, with life experiences, some hard won battles, and a feeling of freedom from the need to conform. Here, Dr Sheela Nambiar, obstetrician-gynaecologist, lifestyle medicine physician, and NAFC-certified fitness trainer, tells us how we can be the best versions of ourselves at 40, 50, 60, and beyond.
Watch the entire session with Dr Sheela Nambiar on our IGTV here.
A question on everyones mind that we dont fess up to openly: Will we ever have the body we had at 20?
Physiologically, your body has changed so much and you really cant re-engineer your cells to go back to 20. You can still be in great shape and look fabulous, and theres a lot youve gained over the years you wouldnt want to lose all that. You are wiser now and you know better than to over-train, for instance. You have a better understanding of diet, of other things that compromise wellness sleep, relationships which we didnt take quite so seriously back then.
How different is the ageing process for men and women?
Men have a higher percentage of muscle on average, so they burn more calories even at rest. But having said that, if a man eats badly, hes going to gain weight too. There is something called andropause, which is the male version of menopause thats when the testosterone takes a dive and men start losing hair and gaining belly fat. Both men and women need to put in the effort to stay fit and healthy.
What should women expect from perimenopause?
The word menopause just means ceasing of the period when your period has stopped for a year and it is usually around the same time that your mother attained menopause. Perimenopause can be anywhere from two to five years. Some symptoms you need to look out for are a delayed period, skipping three or four months, or irregular spotting in between or a long time of no bleeding and then a heavy bleed. The other symptoms are mood swings, bloating, memory issues, hot flushes... They may or may not come, and not all women have all of these. There is some research to say that people who lead healthier lives, eat better, exercise regularly, have less symptoms of menopause.
With age, certain foods that our body was fine with earlier leave us feeling uncomfortable. How do we figure out which ones work and which dont?
Youll have to do a form of an elimination diet, which means that if you think that milk doesnt agree with you (theres bloating or discomfort) you need to remove that completely from your diet. Many Indians are lactose intolerant, and it gets more prominent as we age. If you really want to eat the food or need to, for some reason, reintroduce it in small quantities to see if the symptoms recur. Also, avoid eliminating a whole group. If channa doesnt agree with you, you may be able to consume another form of bean.
How do I maintain a sustainable diet through life?
There are many diets, often with conflicting information, but there are some commonalities: a high-fibre diet is beneficial, which means all kinds of vegetables and fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, some whole grains and millets. The two things you really need to eliminate are added sugar and processed food. The human body does not require sugar even honey or jaggery that produce an insulin response. If youre not eating sugar, dont tell yourself youre on a diet; you are normal. If youre eating sugar, thats the abnormality. You have to consider it a treat: once a week or month.
Dr Sheela Nambiar
Is intermittent fasting recommended?
It is start with a 12-hour fast. You can have water, black coffee or green tea which do not stimulate insulin. What youre trying to do is to keep the insulin levels very low. You can gradually increase it to 14 and then do 16 hours once a week or so. Its also important what you eat during your feeding window if you eat all through or eat junk food, it would defeat the purpose. If you have diabetes and are on medication, check with your doctor.
How do we build an exercise programme that will last?
Once you hit 40, your focus should shift from doing a lot of cardio to doing more strength. There are several reasons for this: as Indians, we have very little muscle mass. This is detrimental, because it leads to a higher fat percentage in the body, fat around the belly and metabolic syndromes. In order to get a more metabolically active body, which burns calories even at rest, you need to build more muscle, and cardio wont do that. Dont be afraid to lift heavy. Once you start to build muscle, your body will change, because muscle produces what is called the after-burn, which means you are burning more calories six to eight hours after, which is what sustains weight loss.
Gyms and weights can scare the beginner and trainers are often ill-qualified. What can we do at home?
You can start with own body weight exercises, like lunges, squats, push-ups, planks, but eventually you will need something more. If youre not at your ideal weight, you may find it difficult to do these, so you could use free weights and online programmes to help you through: ACE Fitness or IDEA Fit, for instance. They teach you exercises from scratch, and once you learn these, you can build your own routine. As you grow into exercise, try and include compound exercises that use more than one body part, such as a deadlift or a clean and press, or lunges with shoulder press. The main thing is to enjoy the journey, so you appreciate your body and the fact that we can move.
What is the secret to close relationships?
The most successful relationships are the ones where there is some amount of effort put in from both sides, where we set aside time to listen. There has to also be an element of mutual respect for it to grow, and authenticity. Good quality social connectedness improves health. Perceived social isolation (PSI), which springs from lack of connection, can lead to dementia, Alzheimer's disease and bad behavioural habits (like overeating).
How important is Nature?
Very important. Theres research that even having plants inside your house helps with well-being. If you really cant get out to a park or even the beach, then nurturing plants on a terrace garden really works wonders.
With high levels of anxiety during the lockdown, how do we focus?
Focus on what you have control over: protecting yourself and building your immunity. So social distancing, sanitisation, eating well, taking zinc and vitamin C, exercising regularly, making sure your prexisting diabetes or hypertension are under control... This is a great time to go off sugar and processed foods, because we know that people who are obese have a greater propensity to develop severe symptoms of COVID-19.
See original here:
How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017