Mickey Jogoleff had to change something.
He was obese, weighing at least 245 pounds (he might have been heavier, but he actively avoided the scale). He abused his body, smoked cigarettes, drank a lot, and defended it all with the excuse of living life to the fullest. He couldnt make it through the day without needing to unbutton his pants to breathe. He couldnt do a pull up, and wouldnevertake his shirt off in public.
That was then. That was before he spent 12 months honing his diet and exercise, taking his weight from 245+ pounds to 168 pounds, a loss of at least 77 pounds. Now 32 years old, hecut his body fat percentagedown to 9 percent and at one point, he even got it as low as 3 percent.
Note: All bolding is done by BarBend editorial team for emphasis.
Mickey initially tried losing weight without the guidance of a pro, which he now sees as a mistake.
When I looked in the mirror I saw the fat me, and I would starve myself and punish myself with workouts, he says. I was stuck, super frustrated, tired of busting my ass while starving myself.
Eventually he sought the services of biochemist and BarBend Expert Dr. Trevor Kashey, founder of TKN Nutrition. When he approached Dr. Kashey, he was eating1,500 calories a day and working out six or seven days a week.
Now, he eats more and lifts less: 3,500 calories a day, training three to four days a week.
I did my best to stay short sighted,' he says. I would talk with my coach and we would just come up with a plan for the week. That would be my main focus; I would not think about next week, next month, or anything but the next step.
The biggest changes he made were eating fewer meals on the go no more running on coffee, fast food, and cigarettes. He cooked more and cut back on beer,but the process of tracking his calories and consulting with an expert taught him that he can still enjoy food while looking good.
I can have both, he says. Before I started, I was very strict with meal prepping and had a low carb intake, but I didnt actually track anything. I was just adamant about eating healthy.'
Once he started tracking his food, he was able to be more consistent with his weight loss and it eliminated the feeling of restricting himself: if he stayed inside his calorie goal, he could make room for his favorite foods and even the occasional beer.
I was given guidelines to operate in and have it fit my plan. The easiest way for me was coming up with some staple go-to meals, he says. I pick a carb of choice, normally a mix of rice and veggies, then my protein of choice, normally chicken thighs, then top it off with fat, normally olive oil. Throw all that into a big bowl, mix it up, and divide it into however many times I want to eat. Simple and fast, while still allowing me the ability to mix it up.
(His wife calls it the Super Bowl.)
Once he was actually monitoring calories and following expert guidance, Mickey found he wasdoubling the amount of food he was eating. It enabled him to be less restrictive when eating out with his wife he could drink wine and have dessert while still meeting his calorie goal. Today, in the best shape of his life, hes eating over 500 grams of carbs per day.
My biggest challenge was definitely a busy schedule, he says. (Mickey, like almost everyone in his family, is a construction worker.) Part of the reason my weight had gotten so out of hand was long hours. So I never cooked, which meant lots of takeaway tacos and fast food followed by beers to unwind after work. The crockpot and rice cooker, or things I could set and forget, werehuge for me; keeping it simple and making sure I was set up because I have little to no time.
[Related: Our guide to making easy, inexpensive protein in your crockpot.]
I have tried many different style of training, from bodyweight calisthenics, bodybuilding, cardio, big lifts, he says. Ultimately, I found my home with a solid routine of little to no cardio and lifting three to four days a week. I do track my weight to measure progress and continue to push myself.
While losing weight, Mickeys relative strength his strength to bodyweight dramatically increased. (Which is freaking awesome, he notes.) Heres how much he could lift before and after his 80-ish pound weight loss.
Lifting, for me, is focused around building and maintaining strength, he adds. I focus on basic barbell movements while also incorporating some accessory work [like] weighted pull-ups. I will typically rotate between hypertrophy and strength cycles.
His cardio consists entirely of nightly walks with his wife.
I am happier than I have ever been or ever thought possible. I have endless energy, I am able to go out on a date with my wife without worrying about what I eat, I no longer live in fear of gaining the weight back, he says. I am in disbelief when I talk with people and they tell me they want to look like me. It feels like a dream.
But the best part? Hes inspired his loved ones to take care of their own health. His dad and brother are in the best shape of their lives and his mom has lost over 100 pounds.
Without knowing, I was leading by example.
Go here to see the original:
How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend
- Weight loss benefits that go beyond slimming - Times of India - March 31st, 2020
- Honor your body and improve your health in the process - Charlotte Post - March 31st, 2020
- Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- Stress Wont Kill You, But Your Reaction To It Might - Ponoka News - March 31st, 2020
- Other Sports: Weighty task for Prem - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- Looking About in Mendocino County during coronavirus: A place of gratefulness - The Willits News - March 31st, 2020
- Masterchefs Gregg Wallace takes on Joe Wicks with workout routine - Metro.co.uk - March 30th, 2020
- Building Toward the Long-Term Financial Future: Needs, Wants, and Wishes - The Ticker Tape - March 30th, 2020
- The Incredible Body Transformation of Jorge Masvidal Over The Years - Essentially Sports - March 30th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Jessica shows off new face and body after $111K plastic surgery makeover - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 'I wasnt in a good place' Kedren loses amazing 3.5st to help turn life around - Stoke-on-Trent Live - March 30th, 2020
- How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER - March 30th, 2020
- Is Consuming Coffee & Lemon Together Beneficial? Explore 3 Most Common Claims about the Mix - Krishi Jagran - March 30th, 2020
- From baking bread with just 3 ingredients to 1 tacos easy recipes to boost your mood during coronavirus lo - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- How X-FACTOR #87 (1993) Changed My Concept Of What A Comic Book Could Be - Monkeys Fighting Robots - March 30th, 2020
- William & Mary coaches adjust through communication and technology - William & Mary News - March 30th, 2020
- Inspirational Reading mum's touching gesture to husband with incurable cancer - Get Reading - March 30th, 2020
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fasting - Men's Health - March 28th, 2020
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL: Simple mindset shifts that will help you lose weight - The Bakersfield Californian - March 28th, 2020
- What to do during the coronavirus quarantine if you're on a diet - USA TODAY - March 28th, 2020
- Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health amid coronavirus - New York Post - March 28th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty - March 28th, 2020
- Easy egg salad recipes for weight loss - Times of India - March 28th, 2020
- It switch! The new beach body of Adele after losing weight about 70 kilos in the last decade - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Weight loss with intermittent fasting? Three readers share their success story: I lost no less than 51 kg in 8 months - The KXAN 36 News - March 28th, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - ExaminerLive - March 28th, 2020
- Man praises NHS staff after his 86-year-old father recovers from coronavirus - Nottinghamshire Live - March 28th, 2020
- Overweight to extreme thinness, Adele is concerned about his fans for his new look - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Couple lose 15 stone after being left mortified by picture of them dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum - MyLondon - March 28th, 2020
- From radiant skin to boosting immunity, everything you need to know about saffron - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020