The coronavirus has caused a big pause button to be pushed on our everyday lives.
Gyms are closing, workplaces and schools are closing, and the news coverage is focused on the virus 24/7. And a lot of people have been forced to stay at home to help limit the spread.
And all this is a disaster for your stress levels which is why exercise is important in times like these.
Editors note: The content on BarBend is meant to be informative in nature, but it shouldnt take the place of advice and/or supervision from a medical professional. The opinions and articles on this site are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. Speak with your physician if you have any concerns.
Stress is a state of mental, emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances basically anything that alters your homeostasis.
There is what some consider good stress, which is often called eustress. This is moderate stress that makes you feel more excited than distressed. An example would be when you ride a roller coaster or get some great news.
Then theres the bad stress, more clinically referred to as acute or chronic stress. While stress is a vast topic and we dont want to risk oversimplifying it chronic stress can be exacerbated by poor diet and sleep habits, for just two examples a lot of acute or chronic stress can come from changes to ones routine or life that cause distress or anxiety. Acute stress triggers the bodys stress response, but the triggers arent usually exciting or healthy.
Chronic stress can occur when you repeatedly face stressors that take a heavy toll on your sanity. Much like the current situation we find ourselves in now.
Chronic stress is a serious health problem thats associated with many physical and mental health ailments, particularly inflammation, which can lead to hart disease, cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimers disease to name just a few.(1) Its estimated that between75% and 90% of primary care physician visits are caused by stress-related illnesses.
[Related: How stress impacts your strength and muscle]
Exercise and other physical activities help produce endorphins in our brain that appear to act as natural painkillers, stress reducers, and they improve our ability to sleep.
The exact physiological mechanisms to explain this havent been proven. However, research indicates that exercise improves the way the body handles stress because of changes in the hormone responses, and the positive effects exercise has on the brain.(2)
Regular exercise increases the volume of certain brain regions, particularly the hippocampus, through better blood supply. That helps improve overall brain health..
The hippocampus is an area of the brain thats involved in memory, emotion regulation, learning and plays a crucial role in mental health. Theres evidence to suggest many mental health conditions are associated with reduced growth and development of nervous tissue in the hippocampus. (3)
Which makes exercise an important for your mental as well as physical health.
[Related:4 Research-Backed Ways Lifting Weights and Eating Right Improve Mental Health]
If you dont have access to a gym or youre stuck at home during this stressful time, its important to find ways to train to stay in shape, stay sane and not lose your hard-fought gains.
Here are some examples using your body and household items to keep on top of your health and cabin fever.
Do this training 2-3 days per week with 48 hours rest in between training. All of the exercises are timed sets. The work/rest periods you can pick from are as follows choose wisely.
This is a five-exercise circuit (one after the other). The exercises are:
You will complete two- four circuits (depending on how much you have in the tank on training day) for a total training time of between 10-20 minutes.
Note that other exercises can be included in the above categories. Its not an exhaustive list.
If you want something a little less intense, bodyweight tri sets work well.
Rest one minute after each circuit and do 3-5 circuits
Rest one minute after each circuit and do 3-5 circuits.
Walk for three minutes and then use the Tabata protocol (20 sec work/10 sec rest for six to eight rounds) with the following bodyweight exercises.
Find yourself some open space and get your Usain Bolt on.
Walk for three minutes and then sprint for 15 seconds (100 % effort) followed by a 15 second walk. Repeat for five work/rest intervals and then cool down with a three-minute walk.
Exercise is more than for vanity, especially during this trying time. Staying on top of your health and fight to hold on to your gains by using your body to crush stress.
Dont worry, gym time will be coming again soon.
Featured image viaShutterstock/prostock-studio
Read the original post:
How Exercise Reduces Cabin Fever (Plus Home Workouts to Get Started) - BarBend
- When to start a diet: 7 reasons why now is a good time from a dietitian - TODAY - May 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts reveal the best time to drink apple cider vinegar - Express - May 26th, 2020
- This Guy Tried the Workout and Diet That Helped Navy SEAL David Goggins Lose 100 Pounds in 3 Months - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- Losing Sleep During COVID-19? Tips on How and When to Exercise - Healthline - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer - the best breakfast food to prevent early death and boost weight loss - Express - May 26th, 2020
- To Fight Covid-19, Dont Neglect Immunity and Inflammation - The New York Times - May 26th, 2020
- Certain exercises linked to improved blood flow in key brain regions - SlashGear - May 26th, 2020
- How to structure a healthy diet while you're working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, according to n - Business Insider India - May 26th, 2020
- Michael Phelps Eating And Exercise Regime Proves He's Half Man, Half Amazing - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- Virus has made healthy eating more costly - just when we need a better diet - Bryan-College Station Eagle - May 26th, 2020
- Pre-Workout Diet: Five Foods To Eat Before You Hit The Treadmill - NDTV Food - May 26th, 2020
- Is it safe for Joe Maddon and Dave Roberts to manage teams? - Los Angeles Times - May 26th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Stay Fit While Maximizing Technology - HealthTechZone - May 26th, 2020
- Women need to exercise as they age, doctor says - Taipei Times - May 26th, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Cochrane Times Post - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer: The best exercise to boost heart health and increase life expectancy - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Yes, You Can Lose Weight Walking as Little as 30 Minutes a Day - but There's a Catch - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- 6 benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy - TheHealthSite - May 26th, 2020
- World Digestive Health Day Q&A with Dr Megan Rossi and Poo-pourri - ResponseSource - May 26th, 2020
- Obesity in mice prevented by disabling gene - Medical News Today - May 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: 3 things that helped Adele lose 22 kilos, according to her personal trainer - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - The Conversation UK - May 24th, 2020
- A Meal With Craig Burton, putting diet facts on the table - The Phuket News - May 24th, 2020
- Diabetic? Tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check amid pandemic - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, Vegan for 10 Years, Says "I'm In the Best Shape Ever" - The Beet - May 24th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of TimTheTatman, Who's Intermittent Fasting and Trying to Stay Healthy - GQ - May 24th, 2020
- 15 Tips To Stay Consistent On A Healthy Diet From Nutritionist - NDTV - May 24th, 2020
- Young Indiana wrestlers find ways to stay fit amid pandemic - The Herald Review - May 24th, 2020
- Skincare: Common mistakes we make during the lockdown and different ways to deal with it - PINKVILLA - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Kiowa County Press - May 24th, 2020
- As obesity's link to COVID-19 grows, one family that lost 24-year-old daughter diets together - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2020
- Overcome the coronavirus meat shortage by adopting one of the world's healthiest diets - CNN - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: This is the best time to eat to burn belly fat - but expert issues warning - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Once N95 masks are available, should I wear one?' and other coronavirus questions answered by Wisconsin health experts - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 22nd, 2020
- This Guy Threw Away Junk Food, Cut Back on TV, and Lost 80 Pounds - menshealth.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Perspective: The Exercise We're Missing Out On - WNIJ and WNIU - May 22nd, 2020
- I'm heading out into this newly opened Wisconsin. What do I need to know? Our experts are here to help. - Marshfield News-Herald - May 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 25p fruit that could prevent deadly symptoms of hypertension - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Full-body home workouts for weight loss: 4 effective exercises that will help you burn belly fat - Times Now - May 22nd, 2020
- The diet secret that Salma Hayek is prepared before a big event - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- 'I Spent My Early 30s Masking My Eating Disorder with Fad Diets and Over-Exercising' - Yahoo Style - May 22nd, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for May 22 - Mumbai Mirror - May 22nd, 2020
- Associations of Midlife Blood Pressure Responses to Exercise with the Risk of Disease in Later Life - Bel Marra Health - May 22nd, 2020
- Lockdown could be a great time to try the keto diet and this keto meal plan could really help with weight loss - T3 - May 22nd, 2020
- Before you go back out in public, read the immunity checklist - Houston Chronicle - May 22nd, 2020
- Understanding PCOS And Its Patriarchal Standards Of Femininity - Feminism in India - May 22nd, 2020
- Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams talks diet, fasting and training in lockdown - Voxy - May 22nd, 2020
- Why am I so tired? How to deal with exhaustion during pandemic - TODAY - May 22nd, 2020
- What the health? Doctor prescribes tips for wellness in his new book - The Spokesman-Review - May 22nd, 2020
- World Hypertension Day: Managing hypertension during a global health crisis - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Take care of your hair with this night routine - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- Adele seen driving to the gym as she keeps up her gruelling exercise regime after seven stone weight loss - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- The UK Lockdown Diet Report: Brits Struggling As They Pile on the Pounds, Reveals The 1:1 Diet by Cambridge Weight Plan - PR Newswire UK - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Love Your Health: Infertility, Diet And Exercise. Is There A Link? - Greeneville Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Greg Bell: The simple health choices that help Utahns fight COVID-19 - Deseret News - May 15th, 2020
- Immunity building: Ensure your diet is full of these essential nutrients - The Indian Express - May 15th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding admits to previous 'unhealthy relationship with food' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- What Happens When You Run a 5K Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 15th, 2020
- International Day of Families 2020: 5 tips to ensure a healthy, balanced diet for your family - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- How to live longer - the spice you should add to your shopping list to prevent early death - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Five ways to avoid burnout when your home and work environments become one - HR News - May 15th, 2020
- Febuxostat not effective at delaying progression of carotid atherosclerosis in asymptomatic hyperuricemia - 2 Minute Medicine - May 15th, 2020
- What are the most important nutrients endurance athletes need in their diet? - 220 Triathlon - May 15th, 2020
- Science-backed reasons behind gaining weight even after working out regularly - TheHealthSite - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Things Women Can Do to Reduce Cancer Risk With Actual Evidence to Back Them Up! - SurvivorNet - May 15th, 2020
- What to eat to build your immunity in Corona times - DailyO - May 15th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: Follow this healthy diet to ease joint pain and stiffness - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Huntington Officials Offer Town Diet To Combat COVID 10 Weight Gain, Keep Residents Healthy - CBS New York - May 10th, 2020
- Sirtfood diet: What you can eat on the diet behind Adeles weight loss - food list - Express - May 10th, 2020
- Does COVID-19 affect the heart? A cardiologist writes - The News Minute - May 10th, 2020
- Mother's Day 2020: Here is apt medical advice to follow if you are pregnant or planning to be a mum - Asianet News English - May 10th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Studies show adding this drink to your diet will lower your reading - Express - May 10th, 2020
- How to lose weight in the last 2 weeks of Ramadan - Gulf News - May 10th, 2020
- WEATHER: Cold Start, Warmer Towards the End of Week - wpdh.com - May 10th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Health: 7 Solutions You Do Not Want To Consider - Guardian Nigeria - May 10th, 2020
- Adele's Weight Loss Plan: Singer slimmed down by following THIS diet and exercise routine - PINKVILLA - May 9th, 2020
- Lockdown diaries: Palred Group boss avoids a sedentary lifestyle, eats healthy, and finds time for HIIT exercises - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- How to Maintain Your Diet and Nutrition During COVID-19 - University of Utah Health Care - May 9th, 2020
- The Sirtfood Diet: Everything You Need To Know | Moms.com - Moms - May 9th, 2020