Wed all like to live a long time in good health.
Now a recently published study has concluded there are lifestyle factors that can increase your odds of reaching an older age without chronic health issues.
Theres been plenty of research on lifestyle choices, such as smoking, physical activity, drinking habits, weight management, and diet, that affect our overall life span and likelihood of experiencing chronic diseases.
However, few studies have looked at how a combination of these factors relate to a long life free of disease.
We wanted to see whether following a healthy diet and exercise can prolong life, not just life expectancy but life expectancy free of chronic diseases, such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes, Dr. Frank Hu, MPH, a professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health in Massachusetts and lead study author, told Healthline.
Because were not just looking at life span but also health span, meaning that there are increased years of life free of chronic disease, he said.
Researchers examined data from roughly 73,000 registered female nurses in the United States from the Nurses Health Study and from almost 40,000 male health professionals in the United States from the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study.
The study participants didnt have cancer, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes when they were enrolled.
Study participants were routinely assessed for new diagnoses and deaths from cancer, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes for more than 20 years. Researchers adjusted for age, ethnic background, family medical history, and other considerations.
The low-risk lifestyle factors used to calculate a healthy lifestyle score included:
Adding these five factors together gave a final low-risk lifestyle score ranging from 0 to 5. A higher score indicated a healthier lifestyle.
Your healthcare provider can help with risk scores that can estimate your risk for death for certain conditions, and evidence-based lifestyle modifications and treatments that can improve conditions, said Dr. Katrina Miller Parrish, the chief quality and information executive at L.A. Care Health Plan.
Keep in mind that a healthy lifestyle with low impact, tolerable physical exercise; a good, well-balanced, colorful diet; hydration; and an appropriate amount of sleep can do wonders to help maintain a positive mental outlook and physical state, Parrish told Healthline.
Years of life free from cancer, heart disease, and diabetes at age 50 was 24 years for women who followed none of the low-risk lifestyle factors.
It was 34 years for women who adopted four or five of the factors.
The life expectancy free of these chronic diseases was 24 years among 50-year-old men who followed no low-risk lifestyle factors.
It was 31 years for men who practiced four or five of these healthy habits.
While hypertension is the number one cause for death throughout the world, many lifestyle changes, such as better diet and exercise, can affect this diagnosis to varying degrees, especially based on regimen and adherence, Parrish said.
Being selective in what you eat is one of the most important lifestyle factors.
Foods that are high in fiber have been studied extensively for the benefits that they provide when it comes to cardiovascular health, including blood pressure regulation, Shelley Wood, MPH, RDN, a clinician at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in California, told Healthline.
Wood explains these foods are plant-based and include whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Additionally, legumes, such as beans, lentils, and peas, have been shown to lower the risk of heart disease, high cholesterol level, and high blood pressure.
For those wishing to preserve heart function and health, Wood says theyd benefit from avoiding foods high in sugar, sodium, saturated fat, and refined carbohydrates.
Its especially important to avoid these foods if you have high cholesterol. If youre contemplating eating a food that is high in sugar, salt, or fat, your best bet is to choose something else, she said.
Wood adds that optimizing caloric intake and reaching or maintaining a moderate weight and waist measurement into middle age are the single most important ways to reduce risk for diabetes as well as participating in regular physical activity and avoiding smoking.
According to the study, men who smoked heavily defined as 15 or more cigarettes per day and men and women with obesity (defined as BMI 30 or higher) had the lowest chance of disease-free life expectancy at age 50.
We looked at five lifestyle factors: eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy body weight, not drinking in excess, not smoking, and being physically active. Theyre all important. But for smokers, the most important thing for them to do, of course, is to stop smoking. For people who are obese, its important to lose weight and maintain a healthy body weight, Hu said.
Parrish agrees that not smoking is critically important.
The one single thing anyone who smokes can do is simply quit and reduce risk of disease and death by double digits, which is seen through this study. The effect appears to be greater the longer an ever-smoker remains no longer smoking, Parrish said.
In the first 1 to 10 years after quitting, the risk of heart disease and lung cancer drops, and by 15 years, the risk of each is near that of a nonsmoker, she added.
New research finds there are five lifestyle factors that significantly increase the years you live without experiencing chronic health issues.
Study participants were followed for more than 20 years. Those who followed four or five of the healthy lifestyle choices significantly increased their healthy life span after age 50.
Experts emphasize that the most influential of these are not smoking and maintaining a moderate body weight.
Read more from the original source:
How Diet, Exercise, and a Healthy Weight Can Add a Decade to Your Life - Healthline
- Why Is Weight Loss Still Part of Workplace Wellness? - Rewire.org - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Market by Type and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020-2025 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Promising Growth Opportunities & Forecast 2018 to 2027 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Nothing Deceptive With Diet Drinks, Says the Ninth Circuit - Lexology - February 27th, 2020
- Heres Why Intermittent Fasting Is Suddenly So Popular in Philly, According to Nutrition Pros - phillymag.com - February 27th, 2020
- VMX features second well-being study | American Veterinary Medical Association - American Veterinary Medical Association - February 27th, 2020
- Market Intelligence Platform, Sensor Tower, Reveals the Top Performing Fitness, Nutrition and Health Apps in January 2020 - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Europe Weight Management Market Key Players, Applications, Outlook, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market is expected to double its Market size in Upcoming Years | Kellogg, Body-Solid, Atkins... - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market by Growth, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2027 - The Cloud Tribune - February 27th, 2020
- Latest Research on the Report of Weight Loss Management Market by Growth, Future Business Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Jewish Life News - February 27th, 2020
- Ulcerative colitis linked to missing gut microbes - Hospital Healthcare Europe - February 27th, 2020
- Healthy Breakfast: 5 Diet Tips To Have A Calcium Rich Breakfast - NDTV Food - February 27th, 2020
- West Sussex mum who lost 11st and kept it off named Slimming Worlds Top Target Consultant 2020 - Worthing Herald - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020