BALTIMORE November is National Diabetes Awareness Month, and here at WMAR we want to make sure you know all the ins and outs of the disease and how it can affect different parts of your body.
One of the ways Diabetes can affect your body is through your eyes, and since there's no real warning signs before having eye issues, it's important to get your eyes checked regularly.
"Diabetes is a disease that affects the very small blood vessels in our body and it likes to affect the kidneys and the brain, but the eye is definitely a place where we have these very small blood vessels and it damages those vessels in a way that prevents them from bringing oxygen to the eye," said Dr. Katherine L. Duncan, ophthalmologist and lead provider for GBMC Health Partners Eye Center at Joppa Road.
Duncan says this can cause problems in the eye and swelling which can lead to permanent vision loss if not treated properly.
In the early stages of diabetic retinopathy, there really aren't any symptoms, says Dr. Duncan. Diabetic Retinopathy is one of the most common forms of diabetic eye diseases and occurs when the diabetes starts to affect the retina. It causes these abnormal blood vessels to grow and to bleed and to cause swelling back there.
"You can have floaters in your vision and blurry vision, but usually that's a stage that's much, much more advanced and unfortunately harder for us to treat at that point," Dr. Duncan explained. "So it's really important, even if you're having no problems with your vision to come in once a year and just get checked, because if we can catch it at those early stages, we can prevent a lot of vision loss that way."
The doctor says this is more than just a normal vision test, you need to get your eyes dilated
She says that if they are able to detect it in those early stages, sometimes just getting your sugar under better control can reverse the changes. If there are more advanced findings however, they have other treatments such as laser therapy or medications injected into the eye.
Diabetes can also do some other things inside your eye, including cataracts forming earlier in life. Dr. Duncan says their diabetic patients tend to get cataract sooner and need cataract surgery at earlier ages.
"But fortunately that's a very fixable problem," she said. "And then there are some sort of less common forms of glaucoma, which is an eye disease where the pressure in your eye becomes too high and it causes damage that takes away your peripheral vision and it sort of slowly comes in. If your diabetes is very uncontrolled in your eye, it can create changes that induce that glaucoma."
In terms of the urgency of getting your eyes checked after a diabetes diagnosis, Dr. Duncan says it depends on the blood sugar levels.
"If you're first diagnosed and the blood sugars that they're measuring are very out of control and you're having vision problems, then you need to be seen immediately," she explained. "If you are diagnosed and your blood sugar levels are just right over normal, it's a little less urgent in that situation.
She does recommend that within the first few months getting a baseline check to make sure there's no issues.
A lot of patients, she says unfortunately don't know how long they've had diabetes when they're first diagnosed and the longer they've had it without treatment, the more likely they are to have changes in their eyes.
The best thing you can do to avoid eye complications with diabetes is to control your blood sugars.
"If you're right on the edge of having diabetes, you know, diet, exercise, all those things, your primary care doctor tells you to do, are good for your eyes too because the lower the blood sugars, the less likely, you're going to develop these eye problems."
Go here to read the rest:
How Diabetes can affect your eyes and what you can do to avoid those complications - wmar2news.com
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Ate and Trained Like Eddie Hall - menshealth.com - November 25th, 2020
- Diet to exercise: FSSAI suggests these post-festival tips to resume a healthy routine - The Indian Express - November 25th, 2020
- Diabetes: Facts you should know in the era of COVID-19 - Q City Metro - Qcity metro - November 25th, 2020
- What Is the Endomorph Diet? What Can You Eat on the Endomorph Diet? - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 25th, 2020
- Swollen Stomach and Weight Gain: Causes of Abdominal Bloating - Healthline - November 25th, 2020
- What are some of the best diets for men? - Medical News Today - November 25th, 2020
- Here are a few tips to keep yourself healthy amidst winters - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: One of the best diets to help with insulin resistance and obesity - Express - November 25th, 2020
- Market America | SHOP.COM Shares Five Ways To Help You Avoid Excess Sugar While Still Enjoying The Holidays - PR Web - November 25th, 2020
- Justin Herbert Who Lives on Subway Sandwiches - GQ Magazine - November 25th, 2020
- Henry Cavill full body workout: Get as strong as Superman and The Witcher - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Do Chemicals Cause Breast Cancer? Its Unknown, but Two Researchers Say That the Government Should Do More to Protect Women - SurvivorNet - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Lose Belly Fat With This Quick Lower Abs Workout That Can Be Done In Just 20 Minutes - NDTV - November 25th, 2020
- Obesity and pets - Illinois Times - November 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: Two things that helped Nita Ambani lose 18 kilos - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Dieting downfalls and the promise of a non-diet approach - Daily Cardinal - November 25th, 2020
- Working out in a polluted city? Here are some exercises you must avoid doing as air pollution rises - Times Now - November 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: get in shape before it all goes wrong again during the holidays - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Exercise nutrition: whether you should eat before or after a workout depends on your fitness goals - The Conversation UK - November 16th, 2020
- Strict diets can deprive us of our happiness and health - The Aggie - November 16th, 2020
- Polo G on His New Album 'The Goat,' Workout Routine, and Complicated Diet - menshealth.com - November 16th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Witcher workout: a full body workout in just 5 moves plus a diet based on lots of protein - T3 - November 16th, 2020
- Lockdown: Survey finds that many in SA gained weight, despite trying to lose a few kilos - Health24 - November 16th, 2020
- Fitness: Outdoor exercise is the new normal even for winter - Montreal Gazette - November 16th, 2020
- The importance of knowing your family health history - PhillyVoice.com - November 16th, 2020
- Mary Trump says terrible diet and lack of exercise will prevent Donald Trump from running in 2024 - Queerty - November 16th, 2020
- Dr Norman Lazarus has a simple and direct message when it comes to living longer, healthier lives - The Canberra Times - November 16th, 2020
- Over-the-counter diet pills: Do they really help you lose weight or harm your health? - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- The hard truth about losing weight why speeding up your metabolism for weight loss is a myth - Business Insider Australia - November 16th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Steps to improve metabolism for the prevention of diabetes - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Here's how to maintain blood sugar levels, starting from your gut - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Breaking up with diet culture: A dietitian on how to ditch the toxicity - Women's Agenda - November 16th, 2020
- Confined indoors? Heres how to boost your immunity |India Today Insight - India Today - November 16th, 2020
- Home and Away's Ethan Browne: 'My health and workout secrets' - New Idea - November 16th, 2020
- Questions and Answers About Your Immune System and Winter - Healthline - November 16th, 2020
- Causes of Heartburn During Exercise and What to Do About It - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 16th, 2020
- How to Lose Inner Thigh Fat: Causes and Toning Exercises - Greatist - November 3rd, 2020
- Learning to Actively Pursue the Light at the End of the Tunnel - Charcot-Marie-Tooth News - November 3rd, 2020
- Healthy diet, exercises are pivotal in preventing cardiovascular diseases WHO - - The Eagle Online - November 3rd, 2020
- A deep dive into diabetes in Arkansas | Wear the Gown - THV11.com KTHV - November 3rd, 2020
- 'My Diet Was All Over The Place Until I Started Counting Macros With The Strong Daily App' - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 3rd, 2020
- Polarity Balancing: Benefits, Exercises, How to Find a Practitioner - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- Kareena's advice to women who conceived during the pandemic - Daijiworld.com - November 3rd, 2020
- This Guy Ate And Trained Like Conor McGregor And The Cardio Session Alone Looks Like Absolute Murder - BroBible - November 3rd, 2020
- 5 things to know about Vitamin D - StarNewsOnline.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment and Beyond - SurvivorNet - November 3rd, 2020
- What Is Preventive Cardiology? What Doctors Want You To Know About the Emerging Field in Heart Health - Well+Good - November 3rd, 2020
- Weight loss: This guy changed his diet every 10 days and lost 50 kilos! Here's what he ate - Times of India - November 3rd, 2020
- How to exercise to lose weight and build muscle at the same time - Daily Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Kate Middleton's green juice with blueberries and matcha is key to flat stomach diet - Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Henry Cavill Workout: How to Do It, Cautions, and More - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- 6 scientifically-proven techniques students can use to relieve stress this school year - Insider - INSIDER - November 3rd, 2020
- Video of Husband Exposing Cheating Wife is Going Viral: Trending Topics, Viral Videos & Funny Memes of The - LatestLY - November 3rd, 2020
- Do you have a sitting job? Here are 7 quick desk exercises to prevent neck and back pain - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Metabolic Renewal Review: Pros, Cons, and Effectiveness - Healthline - October 28th, 2020
- I got a whole new mindset: the health secrets of people who got much fitter in lockdown - The Guardian - October 28th, 2020
- Simple Tips And Tricks To Make Your Diet Healthier: You Must Try These! - NDTV - October 28th, 2020
- How do you calculate your calorie intake? Know some tips, recipes on how to lose weight with exercise and diet - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Here's What We Know About the Diet Fuelling Rebel Wilsons Fitness & Weight Loss Journey - POPSUGAR Health and Fitness Australia - October 28th, 2020
- If Your Heart Health Is at Risk, Your Partner Should Get Checked Too. Here's Why - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2020
- Eat to beat diabetes: Delicious ways to reverse and transform your health explains Gurmeet Arora - PINKVILLA - October 28th, 2020
- Noom diet: The virtual weight loss program taking the world by storm explained - 9Coach - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (US) - October 28th, 2020
- Link between early menopause and osteoporosis - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- Adele and Pippa Middleton Both Swear By the 'Sirtfood Diet' -- Here's Why Its Founder Says It Works - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 28th, 2020
- Can a Plant-Based Diet Reduce the Risk of Breast Cancer? - LIVEKINDLY - October 28th, 2020
- OPINION | Chronic diseases, immunity and nutrition. Nutrition is important now more than ever! - Health24 - October 28th, 2020
- Eat well, be well - NZ Register of Exercise Professionals - Voxy - October 28th, 2020
- Heart palpitations and headache: Causes and treatment - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- The 9 Best Ways to Boost Mood, Including What to Eat and Drink - The Beet - October 28th, 2020
- How To Follow Keto Diet The Right Way? Expert Reveals - NDTV Food - October 28th, 2020
- Is it possible to lose weight in 9 days? Know the right way to fitness with expert tips - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Esperion Launches U.S. Direct-to-Consumer Campaign to Accelerate Awareness of NEXLETOL (bempedoic acid) Tablets and Increase Awareness of Bad... - October 4th, 2020
- Tekashi 6ix9ine Was Reportedly Hospitalized After Ingesting a Combo of Diet Pills and Caffeine - Cosmopolitan - October 4th, 2020
- I Exercise to Celebrate My Body Instead of Punishing It, and I'm Much Happier For It - POPSUGAR - October 4th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of garlic and how much to add to your diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Is your weight loss diet giving you a headache? Heres what you need to know - PINKVILLA - October 4th, 2020
- The Healthiest Way to Eat to Prevent Disease, Says a Cardiologist - The Beet - October 4th, 2020
- Exercise of Options and Total Voting Rights London Stock Exchange:AMYT - GlobeNewswire - October 4th, 2020
- Cardiovascular disease the leading cause of death for women in Singapore last year - The Straits Times - October 4th, 2020