Age: 65Occupation: Retired commercial tire business ownerHometown: Sparta, New JerseyStart weight: 180 poundsEnd weight: 153 poundsTime cycling: 15 yearsReason for cycling: To improve health and to recover from cardiac events.
One of my coworkers died of a heart attack two feet away from me when I was in my late 40s. I thought, Wow thats not going to be me. But I knew I had to make some serious lifestyle changes in order to help prevent that from happening. Though I was an athlete when I was younger, I hadnt done anything in 25 yearslife and kids get in the wayand my diet was one of convenience, not health.
I hated running, and though I was a swimmer when I was young, had no desire to get back into a pool. I always thought cycling was fun, so I jumped on a bike. I rode about a mile, and though I was sweating profusely, I was enjoying it, and it got me back outside.
Then, my brother, introduced me to spin class around 2006. The sweat was great, and I started going four to five times a week. That was my main form of exercise as I was losing weightI wasnt doing much cycling outdoors.
Additionally, my wife took on a healthy cooking routine. Changing what we ate and getting a lot of exercise helped me shed pounds and develop my fitness. We used to eat quite a bit of pasta and red meat. Now, we eat a boatload of chicken, fish, and veggies, and we focus on consuming good salads without dressing.
In spin class, I met someone who was an avid cyclist with Skylands Cycling club, and he encouraged me to give it a whirl. One day I went out for a ride with him, and I just loved it. I decided to get a decent bike, and it was something I completely enjoyed.
I went from riding five to 10 miles at a time to 30-mile rides, and I kept getting stronger and stronger. I never raced, but I consider myself a competitive recreational ridera lot of people I ride with do race, so my competition is to keep up with them on rides.
Back in 2012, I was doing a very aggressive Saturday morning ride on a hot, humid September day. I remember going up a hill and saying to my buddy, I dont feel like killing myself today, and I turned around. He thought I wasnt feeling well because that was different for my personality. My wife suggested I call my doctor, and he said I should go to the hospital to get checked out.
It turned out I had a blockage in my artery, and that was the first time I had to get a stent put in my heart to open up my artery. All was well and good, and I got back on the bike about two weeks later. My riding was terrific, up until 2019.
In the end of October 2019, I had another blockage. The first blockage was in a really small artery, so the doctors thought there was a good possibility a piece of plaque came off and blocked the artery. This blockage, in my right-side coronary artery, was different than my blockage in 2012, and doctors think it may have been due to genetics. This time, I had two stents put in to open it up.
About six months later, in April 2020, I started to feel the same way I did in October when I was riding. Thanks to cycling, I know my body and how I feel at different heart rate levels. This time, I could feel a sensation on the left side of my chest and behind left arm that I knew wasnt supposed to be there.
I called my cardiologist and went to the hospital. Doctors found that the artery had rejected the stent and had swelled up and blocked the stent. Having two stents in may have taken some of the flexibility out of the artery, and the doctor spent three hours trying to open them back up, a procedure that normally takes 30 minutes. With no luck fixing the issue, I had to undergo open-heart surgery.
Being fit really helped me recover from my open-heart surgery, which has turned me into an advocate for being fit. If youre fit before going into any kind of surgery, there is a day and night difference in your recovery. When I was released from the hospital, I wasnt allowed to drive for six weeks. At week seven of recovery, I got on my trainer in the basement, and started doing some soft pedaling. By August, I rode more than over 420 miles in the month.
Ive always monitored my heart rate, and now I do it for both my fitness and health. My doctors have suggested I keep it at 140 or lower. Im riding four times a week minimum, as well as going to cardiac rehab, in which I do a lot of rowing. I typically walk after that, as its a lot of work. Im up to 25 to 40 miles a week, and Im back riding with my group. I dont have the strength I used to in order to keep up with the group, but theyre kind enough to wait for me at the top of the hill. I also continue to attend spin classes in the winter when its too cold to ride outside.
One of the great things about participating in any sport where you elevate your heart rate, you become familiar with how your body feels when your heart rate is elevated. This can help you recognize when something is wrong. If theres something wrong and you feel its an early warning sign. If you heed it, youre ahead of the game.
We want to hear how cycling changed you! Send your story and submit your photos to us via this web form. Well pick one each week to highlight on the site.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Read more from the original source:
How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020