Low libido (a low sex drive) is something that can happen to both men and women for a variety of reasons. It could be a medical, physical, or emotional issue (or a combination of the three) that prevents you from actively seeking out and engaging in sexual activities.
Individuals who are experiencing a low sex drive experience reduced sexual interest and few sexual fantasies or thoughts. As a result, you can't actively engage in sexual intimacy with your partner, as much as you may wish that you could.
If one person in the relationship is struggling with a low sex drive, it can impact both people (and the relationship), causing emotional distance and sexual frustration on both sides.
However, there are several steps (set out by experts) that you can take if you or your partner are experiencing this struggle.
Properly managing your stress and anxiety can boost libido in both men and women.
Photo by G-Stock Studio on Shutterstock
Struggling with low libido can feel isolating and embarrassing. However, according to a study linked in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 19 percent of participants reported a low libido at the baseline of this testosterone study.
If a male is experiencing low libido, there are several things that could be causing it:
Talk to your partner about what you're experiencing.
Low libido can be incredibly difficult to talk about with your partner, especially if it's causing problems in the relationship, but it could give you support and help you find alternative ways to connect until you find an answer.
Check your hormone levels and your health with a doctor.
According to WebMD, around 28 percent of men with low testosterone also struggle with low libido. Having low or decreased testosterone levels can impact more than just your sex drive, as testosterone plays a few important roles in the body. Testosterone has also been linked to bone mass, fat distribution, muscle mass, and strength.
Completing a physical and bringing up low libido concerns with your doctor can help you rule out any physical things that could be causing your low sex drive. Perhaps a medication that you're on is giving an unwanted side effect. Medications such as morphine, opioid pain relievers, corticosteroids, and certain antidepressants can impact your libido. You may have the option to be moved to another, or your doctor may insist on checking your testosterone levels.
According to the American Urological Association (AUA) guidelines, adult men are considered to have low testosterone (or low T) if their levels fall below 300 nanograms per deciliter. A simple blood test will be able to tell your doctor your testosterone levels.
Consider meeting with a sex therapist or counselor about any relationship struggles that could be impacting your libido.
Manage your anxiety.
High levels of anxiety and stress are extremely common barriers to sexual functioning for both men and women. You can manage your anxiety by practicing good sleeping habits, exercising regularly, working to improve your relationship(s), speaking with a therapist, or consulting a doctor about anti-anxiety medications.
Regular exercise could be key to maintaining proper hormone levels and boosting sexual function.
Strength training, walking, and swimming may all work to improve sexual function and libido (in both men and women). In fact, one-time acute exercise sessions have been linked to boosted sexual arousal because of the activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
Creating a healthy lifestyle (healthy eating and exercise habits) can help boost libido in both men and women.
Photo by lzf on Shutterstock
The sexual desires of women naturally fluctuate over the years for various reasons (pregnancy, menopause, illness, life events), and navigating the lows can be incredibly difficult.
If a female is experiencing low libido, there are several things that could be causing it, such as:
Communicate with your partner about what you're experiencing.
According to a survey from the National Women's Health Resource Center, 59 percent of women report that low sex drive has had a negative impact on their relationship, with up to 66 percent of women reporting the low sexual desire impacted communication in their relationship.
Struggling with low sex drive and being unable to find an immediate fix can feel embarrassing and bring up a lot of insecurities - but talking openly about it with your partner can allow you to both understand what's happening and work together to solve the problem.
What you're eating could also impact your libido.
According to a 2015 review study, adding things like maca, tribulus, gingko, and ginseng to your food could help improve sexual function. Additionally, maintaining a healthy (low sugar/high lean protein) diet can boost your sex drive by promoting proper circulation and heart health.
Could a good night's sleep help?
According to a small-scale study, many women explained that a good night's sleep helped increase their sexual desire and arousal the next day. Women who reported longer sleeping times also reported better arousal levels the next day compared to those with shorter sleeping times.
Aside from open communication with your partner and lifestyle changes like a healthier diet, proper sleeping habits and managing stress, communication with doctors, sex therapists and counselors can all be extremely helpful in getting to the root of the problem.
You should consult a doctor about low libido if/when:
Enhancing your sex drive will take time, but it is possible to do if you and your partner are committed to trying new things to boost your libido and keep an open line of communication.
From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web
Originally posted here:
How can you actively boost your low libido? - Big Think
- Low T Therapy Market Size, Trends, Production, Demand and Profit Is Statistical Analyzed in 2021 Report: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly ... - January 24th, 2021
- Healthy Men: What women need to know about men's health - Greater Milwaukee Today - November 20th, 2020
- 24 Ways to Increase Penis Sensitivity: Tips, Techniques, and More - Healthline - October 18th, 2020
- Centrapeak Testosterone Booster Review: Is it Better than Others on the Market? - generationiron.com - October 18th, 2020
- Erectile Dysfunction: A Look at the Most Common Causes - Feed Leader - October 10th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Fiscal Q4 2020 Net Revenue of $14.9 Million, an Increase of 82% Sequentially, and 766% Year-Over-Year - BioSpace - October 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Results and Provide Business Update on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - October 6th, 2020
- Whats Causing My Low Testosterone? - September 29th, 2020
- Indianapolis Low T Center & Men's Clinic | Sleep Apnea ... - September 29th, 2020
- Could This Device Help Save Covid-19 Patients Before the ICU? - Houstonia Magazine - September 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Manufacture and Delivery of Healight(TM) Devices for Use in COVID-19 Clinical Study - Yahoo Finance - August 17th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Regulatory Approval of ZolpiMist(R) by Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration - BioSpace - July 30th, 2020
- New Osteoporosis Recommendations From AACE Help Therapy Selection - Medscape - July 25th, 2020
- Hormone therapy no cure-all for 'low T' in ageing men - Health24 - July 20th, 2020
- Strain engineering of the magnetic multipole moments and anomalous Hall effect in pyrochlore iridate thin films - Science Advances - July 20th, 2020
- Does Low Testosterone Cause Night Sweats? - July 7th, 2020
- Treating low testosterone levels - Harvard Health - July 7th, 2020
- Some people who experienced no coronavirus symptoms may now be immune to Covid-19 - here's what the study says - Derry Journal - July 4th, 2020
- AGING: Hormone therapy no cure-all for low T in men - Palm Beach Post - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID 19 Effect on Low T Therapy Market: an Increase in Technology Development Will Heighten Growth of Key Players: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli... - June 23rd, 2020
- Freddy McConnell Gave Birth to His Son. Then His Life Changed. - Esquire - June 18th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market: What Will Happen to Key Players After COVID 19 Ends: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Ego might drive men to testosterone therapy, but it helps with certain conditions - The Columbus Dispatch - June 8th, 2020
- What Are T-Cells and Can They Protect You from COVID-19? - Labmate Online - June 8th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fiscal Q3 FY 2020 Results and Business Update - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- COVID-19: T cells offer clues to the potential power of Roche's Actemra - FierceBiotech - May 6th, 2020
- Peek on Low T Therapy Market Future, Extensive Studies and Prediction of Top Manufacturers Condition: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - 3rd... - May 6th, 2020
- New clues on how to treat COVID-19 from T cell counts - The Nation - May 3rd, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Signs Development Agreement with Sterling Medical Devices to Advance the Development of Healight as a Potential Coronavirus Treatment... - April 29th, 2020
- Low T Center Is Committed To Meeting The Needs Of Colorado Patients During The COVID-19 Emergency - P&T Community - April 20th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Positive Results from an Independently Conducted Clinical Study of the Company's Licensed COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - April 17th, 2020
- The testosterone myth - The Week Magazine - April 12th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast 2020 2024 - Monroe Scoop - March 26th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Submits Notice of Commercialization to the FDA, Allowing for Company's Distribution of its 2-10 Minute COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - March 23rd, 2020
- No, not everything about mens sexual behaviour can be explained by testosterone - Scroll.in - March 23rd, 2020
- Letters to the editor - Boston Herald - March 9th, 2020
- Low Testosterone - Symptoms & Treatment | Everyday Health - March 6th, 2020
- Lost revenue from low T fares must be recouped - Boston Herald - March 1st, 2020
- Indiana Regenerative Medicine Institute Offers Innovative Approaches in Regenerative Medicine, Hormone Replacement and Pain Management - Carmel... - March 1st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Causes | Everyday Health - February 24th, 2020
- Diagnosis, treatment and how to avoid osteoporosis - The Gazette - January 30th, 2020
- The Signs a Testosterone Booster is Needed - Science Times - January 22nd, 2020
- New Guideline for Testosterone Treatment in Men With 'Low T' - Medscape - January 9th, 2020
- John R. Hampton III, MD, is recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Expert Insights on Osteoporosis From the ACR/ARP 2019 Annual Meeting - Rheumatology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Low T Specialist - Dallas, TX & Frisco, TX: Men's T-Clinic ... - October 5th, 2019
- Does Insurance Cover Low T Treatment - Mantality Health - October 5th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Therapy (TRT) and Treatment from Low T Center - September 27th, 2019
- Low T Center, 549 East County Line Road, Building 4 Suite D ... - March 31st, 2019
- Low T Symptoms | Low Testosterone | Signs of Low T - March 12th, 2019
- Low T Treatment in Texas & Illinois | SynergenX Health ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Lowdown on Low-T - Discover Health - Rush University ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Low T Scam? - Testosterone Centers of Texas - Low T ... - February 18th, 2019
- Low T 99 - Testosterone Therapy: Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma ... - December 31st, 2018
- Men, Low T, and the Facts | Lifespan - October 1st, 2018
- Denver Low T Medical Clinic and Testosterone Therapy Center - August 6th, 2018
- You've Heard About "Low T" But What About "Low E"? - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T 99 - 10 Photos - Health & Medical - 1239 120th Ave NE ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Low Testosterone Treatment - Carolina Men's Clinic - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T-Helper (CD4) Cell Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - March 2nd, 2018
- ED Clinic Nashville TN, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment, Low T - February 10th, 2018
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) - Controversy Over ... - AARP - January 11th, 2018
- Low testosterone symptoms | Effects of low testosterone - January 11th, 2018
- About Low Testosterone | Low T Center - December 29th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T ... - Men's T Clinic - November 12th, 2017
- low t | eBay - November 12th, 2017
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments - onhealth.com - November 2nd, 2017
- Low-T (Low Testosterone) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment - October 22nd, 2017
- Erectile Dysfunction/Low T Men's Health Georgia - September 4th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to transform old band T-shirts into something new - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- AbbVie Hit With $150 Million Loss in Low-T Cardiac Trial - Lexology (registration) - August 19th, 2017
- Low T Center returning to sponsor Sorenson - ESPN - August 18th, 2017
- Older men with 'low T' can improve their sex lives with testosterone therapy, study says - Men's Fitness - August 18th, 2017
- Center for Men | Tulsa Men's Clinic | Tulsa Low T - August 17th, 2017
- `Make Men Great Again' Speakers Bash Trans People While Pumping Up America's Girly Men - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 10th, 2017
- Doctors Address Low Testosterone Ads - CBS St. Louis - August 9th, 2017
- Low T - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - August 2nd, 2017
- What does a low T cell count mean? DoctorNDTV Queries - August 2nd, 2017
- Column: Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms ... - The Daily Courier - July 5th, 2017
- Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 5th, 2017