Home Women's Health Hot flashes after eating or drinking: Causes and treatment tips
If you have ever had hot flashes after eating or drinking, you are not alone. This is something that many people experience yet may not fully understand, especially when it comes to the cause. Here we take a look at what getting hot flashes after eating could mean and how to get rid of them.
Hot flashes are usually caused by a hormonal imbalance and are common when a woman goes through menopause. In fact, studies show that three out of four menopausal women experience hot flashes. Some people have menopause hot flashes after eating while others have hot flashes related to endocrinal disorders. The most common condition associated with this is diabetes.
The problem with hot flashes is that they can be uncomfortable and in some cases, embarrassing. The embarrassment is usually a result of the sweating that a person just cant control.
For those who have not experienced sweating after eating or hot flashes during menopause, it can be hard to imagine. While the symptoms do vary from person to person, they typically include a sudden sensation of heat and flushing followed by perspiration. Other signs include trembling, confusion, and general weakness.
Sweating after eating a meal has been the subject of much research, yet the exact cause is still a mystery. We do know that hot flashes occur when estrogen decreases in the female body. You could say that this disrupts a womans internal thermostat. This is a phenomenon associated with menopause.
Certain foods and drink or even eating a large meal can also bring on hot flashes. For instance, hot flashes after eating spicy food are not unusual. Caffeine and alcohol are also known to cause hot flashes. The heat sensation normally occurs in healthy adults only if their blood sugar level drops below 60mg/dl. It is important to know that although there are common triggers when it comes to eating, foods that cause hot flashes can vary drastically from one person to another.
Research indicates that anytime body temperature is elevated, its possible for a person to experience a hot flash. Hot foods, for example, can dilate blood vessels and stimulate nerve endings. As a result, the body feels warmer. Diabetics can be hypoglycemic after eating, which can cause hot flashes. We cant blame everything on a meal though. In other words, hot flashes after eating and drinking are only part of the possible culprits. Some people experience hot flashes when they are stressed out or are having an allergic reaction. Andropause is another possible cause, but in men. Similar to menopause, andropause is a hormonal change in men that can trigger hot flashes after eating.
A lot of people want to know how to get rid of hot flashes. There is no quick answer, especially since not everyone has the same triggers. Still, the following list can act as a guideline for those who want to avoid foods that cause hot flashes.
It may be obvious why spicy foods and alcohol are on the list, but high carb foods like white bread and pasta are particularly hard on women who are going through menopause. It can make their symptoms worse and, of course, those symptoms include the hot flashes and moodiness. Too much sugar can also further aggravate menopause.
So if there are foods that can cause or aggravate hot flashes, then there must be foods that can help reduce hot flashes. If this is your thinking then you are correct. For instance, studies have shown that the Mediterranean diet, which is rich in vegetables and fresh fruit, can result in a 20 percent less likelihood of getting hot flashes and night sweats.
The following list includes foods that help reduce hot flashes, including some food items that you would find in the Mediterranean diet.
Scientists believe that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains provide a good amount of fiber, which is a nutrient that has been linked to estrogen fluctuations. The theory is that by stabilizing blood levels of the hormones insulin and cortisol, you wont get variability in estrogen and therefore you wont get symptoms like hot flashes. The Mediterranean diet, which features fruits, veggies, and whole grains, is considered lower on the glycemic index. That is how it can control blood sugar spikes and menopauselike symptoms.
Treating hot flashes depends largely on what is causing them. In many cases, its a matter of regulating blood sugar levels. Normal lifestyle modifications, which include diet, exercise, avoiding tobacco, and wearing loose cotton clothing, are included.
One of the best things you can do is make sure that you have a balanced diet that includes essential nutrients and vitamins. Avoiding processed foods and triggers like spicy and oily foods will go a long way in curbing symptoms. Many people also find that drinking plenty of water helps keep the body cool. Studies show that a regular exercise routine is helpful in addressing body temperature issues.
There are medications and supplements that can help reduce hot flashes. For example, hormone replacement therapy is an option, but it is controversial and is something that requires discussion with a doctor. Some women have reported relief from symptoms after taking gabapentin and pregabalin. These are medications that are designed to relieve nerve-mediated pain. Antidepressants have also been used to alleviate hot flashes but again, any medication requires careful consideration. For those who want to avoid drugs acupuncture could be an option. Research reveals that it can be helpful in reducing hot flashes, as well as other symptoms associated with menopause.
Hot flashes after eating, drinking, or simply due to menopause can be at the least annoying and at most, terribly uncomfortable. Some people experience severe hot flashes that lead to headaches and dizziness. In these cases, a doctor should be consulted just to rule out any underlying medical problems. For the most part, people have little to be concerned about and come to realize that small lifestyle adjustments can be very helpful in relieving the heat sensations and sweats that are characteristic of hot flashes.
Related: Shortness of breath seen as a symptom of menopause
Memory problems arise after menopause
Brain fog in menopause is real, more evidence uncovered
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/menopause/Pages/hot-flushes.aspx https://www.reference.com/health/causes-hot-flashes-after-consuming-food-65cd74c43dc89812 http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/eat-ease-menopause-symptoms
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017
- 9 Surprising Facts About Your Sex Drive (and Your Partner's!) - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 30th, 2017
- Male Menopause: The Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Worried about low T? Treatments unlikely to deliver what they promise -- and could hurt you - Genetic Literacy Project - April 26th, 2017
- Dr. Paul Clayton, SSO of Gencor and Researcher of Testofen, is Interviewed on FiveHundo.com - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Is male menopause real? Low testosterone level signs and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - April 24th, 2017
- A sports car with an attractive price - Reflejos - April 24th, 2017
- Depressed and Craving Carbs? - Newsmax - April 21st, 2017
- Irritable Male Syndrome: The First Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 16th, 2017
- Can osteoporosis be reversed? 14 natural ways to treat osteoporosis - Bel Marra Health - April 8th, 2017
- The one thing every man should do for his health - Bel Marra Health - April 1st, 2017
- Mood swings in men (irritable male syndrome): Causes, symptoms, and prevention - Bel Marra Health - March 22nd, 2017
- Voveran sr navartis - Voveran sr novartis - Novartis voveran sr 100 - 5685 Completed ORDERS Today! - Barnsdalltimes - March 19th, 2017
- 'I'm applying for disability': Not-so-Average artist's life takes a new turn - The Province - March 15th, 2017
- Managing menopause | UDaily - University of Delaware - UDaily - March 8th, 2017