See more of the story
As if to spoil everyones deep-fried fun at the State Fair last week, the Minnesota Department of Health announced some sobering news.
Minnesotas adult obesity rate is on the rise again.
After declining slightly between 2014 and 2015, the share of Minnesotans who describe themselves as obese edged up to an all-time high of 27.8 percent in 2016. The results are based on responses to a health survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Minnesotas obesity rate was lower than the U.S. median, 29.8 percent, and those of neighboring states. But the uptick was nonetheless viewed as bad news.
Obesity increases the risk of a variety of diseases, including diabetes and stroke. Minnesota spent $2.8 billion on obesity-related health care costs in 2009 alone, the health department said.
Health authorities define obesity as having a body mass index of 30 or higher, which would translate into a 5-foot-9-inch person weighing 203 pounds or more.
Obesity rates in Minnesota split along lines of affluence and economic security, said Dr. Ed Ehlinger, state health commissioner.
Minnesotans who rarely worry about their ability to pay for food and housing reported an obesity rate of 25 percent as a group. Those who did worry about those necessities had an obesity rate of 33 percent.
People in that stressful situation end up worrying about a whole variety of things that people with secure housing dont have to worry about, Ehlinger said. That stress is toxic, and it interferes with peoples ability to get out and be active and have access to healthy foods. Those factors in turn greatly impact how well we eat and how much we move.
Minnesotans also were less likely to describe themselves as obese if they reported some level of physical activity in the 30 days before the survey. Among those who exercised some, 25.6 percent described themselves as obese, vs. 37.9 percent among those who didnt.
Minnesotas adult obesity rate increased by 9 percentage points between 2000 and 2007, but leveled off after that.
State health advocates credit public health investments in recreational trails, farmers markets and other programs for halting that rise.
Jeremy Olson 612-673-7744
- The Human Body: A Gift and a Responsibility - BYU Speeches - May 14th, 2019
- Obesity - National Institute of Environmental Health Services - April 30th, 2019
- Home Page - Obesity Action Coalition - April 27th, 2019
- Let's Reverse Obesity Building a Community to Reverse ... - March 21st, 2019
- TPE obesity in the USA. - March 21st, 2019
- Cycling and obesity | Just Williams - March 21st, 2019
- Wired for Obesity: Genes Involved in Development Can ... - March 21st, 2019
- Atheism and obesity - Conservapedia - March 21st, 2019
- The Obesity Nightmare - March 21st, 2019
- Levels of Obesity (Tips.Net) - March 21st, 2019
- BMI Related Disease - BMI Calculator - March 12th, 2019
- What is obesity? - CNN Video - March 12th, 2019
- Obesity & BMI - Our World in Data - March 9th, 2019
- Obesity Statistics - Worldometers - February 8th, 2019
- Obesity Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- The Energy Drink Epidemic - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Missionary Health Preparation - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Provident Living | Word of Wisdom and Physical Health - February 6th, 2019
- Good HealthA Key to Joyous Living - Barbara B. Smith - February 6th, 2019
- Overweight and Obesity (for Parents) - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity - Causes - NHS - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity: The Journal of The Obesity Society - December 29th, 2018
- Obesity: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Tests & Preventions - December 9th, 2018
- Obesity | National Institute of Food and Agriculture - November 3rd, 2018
- World Rankings: Obesity Rates by Country (July 2017) - November 3rd, 2018
- Obesity | NIDDK - November 1st, 2018
- National Obesity Rates & Trends The State of Obesity - November 1st, 2018
- Obesity Rates & Trend Data The State of Obesity - October 8th, 2018
- 2nd International Conferennce on Nutritional Science & Obesity - September 24th, 2018
- Obesity and Cancer Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute - September 2nd, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Medical News Today - July 25th, 2018
- Obesity and overweight - who.int - July 11th, 2018
- Obesity: Causes, Complications & Diagnosis - June 24th, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Obesity Action Coalition - June 24th, 2018
- Obesity epidemic grows in adults; perhaps levels off in ... - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity Is Lowering the Life Expectancy in the U.S. | Time - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity, overweight tied to shorter life, more years with ... - March 25th, 2018
- Journal of Childhood Obesity |Open Access Journals - March 24th, 2018
- CDR's New Interdisciplinary Certification in Obesity and ... - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity ProCon.org - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity - NHS.UK - March 22nd, 2018
- Why are Americans Obese? | PublicHealth.org - March 13th, 2018
- Obesity Epidemic Definition, Statistics, Causes & Facts - February 5th, 2018
- About NIH Obesity Research (Obesity Research) - February 1st, 2018
- Obesity: Get the Facts on Guidelines and Statistics - January 25th, 2018
- Overweight and Obesity | National Heart, Lung, and Blood ... - January 22nd, 2018
- Obesity - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 31st, 2017
- Obesity - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - December 11th, 2017
- Obesity - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications ... - November 1st, 2017
- Obesity Facts, and When to Seek Help - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- West Virginia leads nation in obesity rates - The Montgomery Herald - September 6th, 2017
- CDC Data Show Obesity Among US Adults Remains High - AAFP News - September 6th, 2017
- Study: Nearly 32 percent of NC residents obese | Local News ... - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Connection Between Sleep And Obesity Is Enigmatic - American Council on Science and Health - September 6th, 2017
- Rare obesity disease player Rhythm Pharma sets out in search of a $115M IPO windfall - Endpoints News - September 6th, 2017
- Obesity epidemic at new high, costs $150B a year, hurts ... - September 5th, 2017
- Disease of Obesity - American Society for Metabolic and ... - September 5th, 2017
- Kansas only state to reduce adult obesity rate in 2016 - Dodge City Daily Globe - September 5th, 2017
- Don't blame food stamps for obesity in America - GreenwichTime - Greenwich Time - September 5th, 2017
- More than 1 of 4 New Yorkers is Obese in New Study while Overall Obesity Rise is Leveling Off - WAER - September 5th, 2017
- More obesity operations could help thousands of Britons, surgeons say - Treehugger - September 5th, 2017
- Weight's Over: Arkansas's Obesity Rank Jumps To 3rd In New Report - KASU - September 5th, 2017
- Take a stand against childhood obesity - BizTimes.com (Milwaukee) - September 5th, 2017
- Dietitian hopes to help lower state's obesity rate - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 4th, 2017
- Obesity report: One-third of US adults are beyond overweight - WDEF News 12 - September 4th, 2017
- Dust particles may contribute to obesity, study shows - Duke Chronicle - September 4th, 2017
- September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month - Greensburg Daily News - September 3rd, 2017
- Colorado Obesity Rate Increases - Still Lowest in the Nation - Kiowa County Press - September 3rd, 2017
- Apollo bags CE mark for longer-term obesity balloon - FierceBiotech - September 3rd, 2017
- American obesity report: 1 in 3 adults are beyond overweight ... - Chicago Tribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Scientists Discovered a Protein that Could Lead to a Treatment for ... - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- UK needs to perform thousands more obesity operations, say ... - The Guardian - September 2nd, 2017
- Can obesity rates be reversed? - The Business Journals - September 2nd, 2017
- Do You Live In the Fattest State In America? - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- Early pregnancy weight gain may increase risk of childhood obesity - The Boston Globe - August 29th, 2017
- High Calorie Foods May Increase Cancer Risk Regardless Of Obesity Status, Study Finds - CBS Philly - August 29th, 2017
- ESC: Is Low BMI a Bigger Problem than Obesity After PCI? - MedPage Today - August 29th, 2017
- The obesity myth: experts tackle a big problem to deliver new solutions - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 29th, 2017
- Obesity and Pregnancy - ACOG - August 27th, 2017