And depending on the strain youre infected with, HPV can raise your risk of cancerspecifically of your oropharynx, or the middle part of your throat.
In fact, the number of people diagnosed with HPV-linked throat cancer is growing: Researchers found the presence of HPV in 21 percent of patients with oropharyngeal cancer before 1990. After 2000, 65 percent of sampled patients showed HPV, according to a meta-analysis published in Chemical Research in Toxicology.
Were just seeing the tip of the iceberg of this problem, and its really a public health crisis, explains Ted Teknos, M.D., chairman for the Department of OtolaryngologyHead and Neck Surgery at Ohio State Universitys Wexner Medical Center. He says that cases of HPV-related throat cancers have risen 300 percent from the 1980s to the 2000s.
Were just seeing the effects now, but its going to be much more common in the coming years and decades, he adds.
Heres everything you need to know about how oral sex can raise your risk for throat cancerand exactly what you can do to protect yourself from it.
Related: 10 Top Cancer Experts Reveal What They Do to Avoid the Deadly Disease
Throat cancer, officially known as oropharyngeal cancer, is more than twice as common in men than women, according to the American Cancer Society. It specifically affects your tonsils and the base, or the very back, of your tongue, says Dr. Teknos.
Throat cancer is different from oral cancer, which occurs in your lips, gums, tongue, linings of your cheek, or the roof or floor of your mouth. Throat cancer and oral cancer share some common causesthink smoking or chewing tobaccobut HPV is not one of them. Certain HPV strains are linked to throat cancer, not to oral cancer, he explains.
Related: 5 Man-Killing Cancers You Might Not Spot Until Its Too Late
About 70 percent of oropharyngeal cancers are caused by HPV, says the National Cancer Institute. So whats going on?
HPV is a shockingly common STD. Between 2013 and 2014, 45 percent of men aged 18 to 59 carried some form of HPV, according to the most recent CDC data. It's so common that if youre sexually active, you'll probably contract it at some point in your life.
But that definitely doesnt mean everyone who does will go on to develop the cancer. Thats because in the vast majority of the cases, your body will fight it off, clearing it from your system within 1 to 2 years.
There are more than 40 types of HPV that can infect you, though. And some strains are more serious than others. Doctors call them high risk strains, and researchers found that of the men who tested positive for genital HPV, 25 percent carried at least one of them. The type most commonly linked to throat cancer is called HPV 16.
Research shows that nearly 7 percent of Americans have oral HPV, but only 1 percent carries that cancer-causing type, according to the CDC.
If youre unlucky enough to harbor a cancer-causing strain, proteins that are coded by the virus can attack your cells and cause them to grow out of control. At the same time, it messes with cell suicidea scary-sounding process thats actually completely normal, and stops cells from multiplying unchecked if theres a problem there, explains Dr. Teknos. As a result, cancerous cells can begin to increase rapidly, causing the formation of the HPV-positive tumor.
It wasnt until recently that doctors and researchers made the link between HPV and throat cancer. Decades ago, the vast majority of throat cancers were caused by smokingand the cancers were notoriously difficult to treat.
But from the early 80s to 90s, hospitals started seeing patients who had never smoked developing cancer in their tonsils, and their cancers were a lot easier to cure than the smokers cancer were.
Thats when people knew something was different, says Dr. Teknos.
Zeroing in on the sexual revolution of the 60s, they landed on HPV as the likely culprit. The STD can be passed by giving and receiving oral sex, and even by open mouth kissing alone. If your throat is infected with it, and you go down on your partner, you can transmit it to him or her, and vice versa.
Once its in your throat, it can lay dormant for decadesthats why doctors are just now seeing an uptick in oral sex-related cancer diagnoses.
Scary thing is, HPV-linked throat cancer is virtually symptomless at its early stages.
The telltale sign, which usually appears only when it's progressed to a more advanced stage? A painless lump in your neck. Its usually right where you get swollen glands from tonsillitis, the upper part of the neck right next to your voice box region, explains Dr. Teknos.
Most guys will feel it while theyre shaving and mistake it for an infectionand if you rock a beard, you might not even notice it at all.
Other symptoms include trouble swallowing, subtle changes to your voice, and a mild sore throat that can persist and became more painful over time, but these are typically more pronounced in people with smoking-related throat cancer.
Related: Does Shaving Your Pubic Hair Really Increase Your Risk For STIs?
Most people catch HPV during their sexually robust college years, explains Dr. Teknos. In fact, about 10 percent of students on campuses have cancer-causing HPV in their mouths at any given time, he says.
Again, that doesnt mean all those people will go on to get the cancer: In most cases, your body will clear the infection within two years (During that time, though, youd still be able to pass it on to your partners).
The best way to dodge it is to play the preventive game. Get the HPV vaccine to protect yourself from the cancer-causing strains. If youre 26 or younger, insurance will cover the vaccine. If you didnt get it when you were a kid, you can still get the vaccine as an adult if you meet certain criteria, per the CDCs recommendations. (Heres exactly how you can prevent HPV.)
Theres only about 1 percent of cancers that have been identified due to strains that may or may not be included in the vaccine, so its 99 percent preventable with vaccinationbut the key is, you need to vaccinate yourself before youre exposed, says Dr. Teknos.
If youre well over the vaccine age limit and dont meet the other criteria, you can help keep yourself safe by limiting your number of sexual partners. Research shows your risk skyrockets once youre sexually involved with six or more people, explains Dr. Teknos. Utilizing condoms and dental dams correctly can also lower your risk. (We love these Lelo Hex condoms from the Mens Health store, since theyre ultra thin and pre-lubricated.)
Sex Ed: Condoms:
Theres not much you can do to minimize your risk once youve been diagnosed with HPV. Think of it this way: People who smoke a lot and drink heavily are at a 40 times higher risk of developing throat cancer malignancies than people who dont.
That risk is 55 times higher for someone with HPV, says Dr. Teknos.
But if you do get the cancer from your HPV infection, theres more than a 90 percent chance that youll successfully be cured of it, he says. Like with all cancers, earlier detection can improve your changes of survival, so if you notice any of the symptoms listed aboveespecially if youve been diagnosed with HPVloop in your doctor as soon as possible.
- 35 Best Podcasts In Health & Fitness - Men's Health - February 26th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Men Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training Workouts - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- PA Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - Mash Viral - February 24th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Guys Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 22nd, 2020
- P.A. Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - paNOW - February 22nd, 2020
- The Bodyweight Workout That Will Send Your Metabolism Soaring - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Mens health: Overactive bladder and its burdensome complications among ageing Malaysians - Malay Mail - February 20th, 2020
- This Full-Body, Gym-Free Workout Will Add Muscle, Burn Fat and Build Mental Grit - Men's health UK - February 6th, 2020
- Joey Sasso of Netflix's The Circle Talks Keto & More in New Interview - menshealth.com - February 1st, 2020
- Henry Cavill Has Finally Addressed Those James Bond Rumours - Men's health UK - February 1st, 2020
- 5 Reasons to Buy the March Issue of Men's Health - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- Vionic Morris Active Sneaker - MH Certified Review - Men's Health - January 30th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Explains How He Built Muscle and Burned Fat Simultaneously for 'The Witcher' - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- This Full-Body Workout Builds Lean Muscle Fast and Only Needs One Piece of Equipment - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- I worry for my teenage boys the beauty standards for young men are out of control - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- Gardner Minshew named Snickers 'Hungriest Player of the Year' - Jaguars Wire - January 30th, 2020
- How Getting Shredded Helped This Trans Man Find His Confidence - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Man Gained Almost 20 Pounds of Muscle After Plateauing for Years - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Couple Eliminated Nearly $100K of Debt in a Single Year - Men's Health - January 27th, 2020
- Try Using Kneeling Biceps Curls in Workouts to Grow Your Arms - menshealth.com - January 24th, 2020
- This 200-Rep Dumbbell Workout Spikes Your Fat-Burn and Builds Muscle - Men's health UK - January 24th, 2020
- 7 Intermittent Fasting Benefits That Aren't Weight Loss - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- How Stan Wawrinka Stays At The Top Of His Game - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- 5 Conventional Lifting Rules to Break to Build More Muscle - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2020
- Workout Finishers: 4 Short, Sharp Workout Finishers to Add To Try - Men's health UK - January 10th, 2020
- Getting the Bachelor's First Impression Rose Isn't That Important - menshealth.com - January 10th, 2020
- The Bodyweight Home Workout That Crushes Calories - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Muscle Dysmorphia And How To Overcome it - Men's Health - January 9th, 2020
- A Letter From The Editor: How Football Can Change Hearts And Minds - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- The Ultimate Men's Pants Style Guide - Types of Trousers for Men - Men's Health - January 4th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 80 Pounds With a Little Help and a Fitness Tracker - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Male health: The serious challenges with which boys and young men contend - Open Access Government - January 4th, 2020
- Rich Brian on Diplo, Yoga, and Being a 'Meme Rapper' - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- 'Snowglobing' Is the Newest Confusing Holiday Dating Trend - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- Smoking Cannabis Possibly Increases ED Risk - Renal and Urology News - December 21st, 2019
- Men's Health: The modern masculinity bible that goes beyond the pages - Mediaweek - December 18th, 2019
- These Miansai x Fila Targa Sneakers are the Only White Kicks You Need to Own - Men's Health - December 13th, 2019
- Timbaland Explains His Weight Loss and Music - menshealth.com - December 13th, 2019
- Sparrow Caregivers get hairy to win Who-Grew-It-Best contest for men's health awareness - WSYM-TV - December 13th, 2019
- Men hate going to the doctor and that could lead to bigger health problems - WRAL.com - December 10th, 2019
- Andrew Luck and Jason Kander Show How the Strength Myth Crumbles - menshealth.com - December 8th, 2019
- Why James Smith Is The "Gordon Ramsay Of The Fitness World" - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Sports clubs take part in Movember in aid of mens' health - ForgeToday - December 3rd, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 29th, 2019
- Men's Health Therapeutics Market to Receive Overwhelming Hike in Revenues by 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 29th, 2019
- 12 of the Best Men's Joggers That You Can Wear (Almost) Anywhere - Men's health UK - November 28th, 2019
- Movember: a month dedicated to men's health - Brock Press - November 28th, 2019
- Fitness corner: In November, my thoughts turn to men's health - My Edmonds News - November 22nd, 2019
- Fit To Me T-Shirts Designed for Trans Men Were Created to Crush Body Insecurities - Men's Health - November 22nd, 2019
- Henry Cavill Shows Off 'The Witcher' Poster and Men's Health Images - Cosmic Book News - November 22nd, 2019
- Mens health: Secrets to healthy ageing and longevity for Malaysians - Malay Mail - November 22nd, 2019
- Loowit to host pinball tournament for a good cause - The Columbian - November 22nd, 2019
- Movember and No Shave November Bring Awareness on Mens Health - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - November 20th, 2019
- OPINION: Movember is about men's health, not your beard - The Daily Evergreen - November 20th, 2019
- Movember Monday: Mens heart health, minority health - WOODTV.com - November 20th, 2019
- New Jersey Mens Health | RWJBarnabas Health - March 12th, 2019
- Mens Health Magazine on the App Store - itunes.apple.com - November 18th, 2018
- Mens Health Month: Never too busy to focus on wellness ... - June 4th, 2018
- Common Foot Problems for Diabetic People - Men's Health Cures - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health Month Calendar - Week 1 - SoClean - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health | womenshealth.gov - March 26th, 2018
- Men's Fitness Books - Men's Health Books - Men's Health - November 6th, 2017
- Here's How You Can Get as Ripped as Chris Hemsworth, According to His Trainer - Men's Health - September 6th, 2017
- How High Doses Of Ibuprofen Can Mess With Muscle Growth ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- How Apple Engineered Its Watch to Push You to Perform at Your ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- 50% Of Guys Couldn't Find the Vagina On This Diagram - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- First-Time Dads Are Getting OlderBut Are There Risks? - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Try This Workout Finisher From 2016 Ultimate Men's Health Guy Jedidiah Ballard - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- How Long Can Sperm Live Outside The Body? This Viral Tweet Has Everyone Wondering - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Amazon Just Made Your Erections 43% Cheaper - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- Can You Do This Explosive Lunge Variation? - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- How to Make a Woman Orgasm | Men's Health - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: I Love the CrossFit Games But Am Worried Everyone's Doping - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Men's Health Unveils Fresh Look and New Direction - Rodale Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Hate Cardio? Make This Small Tweak to Your Routine - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Our Ultimate Guy Search Finalists Are the #MondayMotivation You Didn't Know You Needed - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Mens Health Network - August 20th, 2017
- Meet the Woman Who Is Always on the Verge of an Orgasm - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- People Who Have Cheated Once Are More Likely to Cheat Again, Says New Study - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- 34% Of Men Are Still Making This Big Mistake In Bed - Men's Health - August 12th, 2017