New year, new you we all have good intentions to make this year the one where we get our health and waistlines under control, but life often gets in the way. Luckily, we have just the plan to give us a helping hand.
Start as you mean to continue
January is the perfect time to set the tone for your best self. You can correct the holiday overindulgences and, since youve had a good rest (we hope), you have the energy to make good choices rather than reaching for those not-so-good comforters that derail your plans to get and stay healthy.
Not simply the number on the scale
Its important to understand that healthy weight loss is not just about losing weight. Its about making sustainable lifestyle changes that keep it off.
Yes, overeating and poor food choices are major contributors to excess weight, however, modern lifestyle factors such as high stress levels, little exercise and a lack of sleep have a big role to play in piling on the kilos.
Unpacking the four pillars of health:
Years of research and experience by the Renewal Institute have culminated in a company philosophy that incorporates four pillars of health gut health, exercise, nutrition, stress management, which are all underpinned by good quality sleep. These pillars are a fundamental part of everything we do, and a core component of The Renewal Institute Diet (RID),our sustainable weight loss programme.
The statement you are what you eat should actually encompass you are what you digest, absorb, assimilate and eliminate properly.
A well-functioning digestive system is the foundation of a healthy body, and health sciences are continually discovering how much of a role a healthy gut plays in our general health.
It makes sense that if the basic building blocks of a healthy system arent in place, the body wont be able to function optimally. Unfortunately, due to our modern lifestyle, very few people have healthy guts, so the Renewal Institute addresses this first.
For many of us, sitting is our daily default position: we sit behind a steering wheel, a computer screen, and then relax after a long, hard day in front of some kind of screen.
The problem is that our bodies are designed to move. Exercise is about more than just being fit and building strong muscles. The movement gets the blood flowing through our system, supplying the brain and body with oxygen, helps us build healthy bones and releases feel-good endorphins, and releases stress. Bottom line: it helps the entire body to function better.
In our rushed lives or because were too tired to plan and cook a healthy meal, we often grab processed convenience food that is high in sugar and salt. And because were tired and want an energy boost, we eat larger portions than needed. This all helps to inflame the gut.
Sticking to a diet consisting of fresh food in its rawest form is advisable, and to ensure that your body gets all the nutrients required to function optimally, supplementing with the correct nutrients is essential.
Another side effect of stress is the release of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol magnifies the satisfaction of pleasurable activities, such as eating sugar for example, which stimulates our craving for more. It also increases the amount of unhealthy fat deposited around the abdominal area, which is commonly seen among women with an adrenal imbalance.
This makes it essential to take time out to reconnect with yourself and stabilise your adrenal system. Manage your stress levels through exercise, good sleep and meditation, and your body will thank you time and time again.
People often overeat when theyre tired, hoping to gain energy from different sources. This means that a lack of good quality sleep has a direct impact on eating patterns.
As the body goes through the different sleep cycles, it balances itself, and if it doesnt get to all the different phases of sleep, hormone levels such as cortisol, ghrelin, leptin, insulin and thyroid become unstable. Yes, you guessed it this is linked to weight management.
Now that the impact of lifestyle factors is clear, how can we go about improving it:
What about insulin?
Insulin resistance is a vicious cycle, starting with an inability to regulate sugar levels. This can result in increased levels of dangerous inflammation in the body which, in turn, worsen resistance and increase fat deposits.
How do we manage this vicious cycle?
A good start is to reduce the intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates.
As insulin is released every time we eat or snack, regulating food intake to three meals a day, with no snacking in between has a huge impact. 12 to 16 hours of intermittent overnight fasting has a significant impact on reducing insulin resistance.
Next time, we focus on our medically proven Renewal Institute Diet (RID) and healthy weight loss programme. Before you start, our doctors and nurses assess all the lifestyle factors at play and help to get these in balance, for better and prolonged results.
To find out more about sustainable weight loss, visit Body Renewal on http://www.bodyrenewal.co.za or contact 0861 SKIN SA (754672).
Take the quickBeyond Beauty Surveyand you could win a R2 000 SkinRenewal voucher to spend in our online store, with free delivery within South Africa. T&Cs apply.
RELATED TAGS: diet Health weight loss
See the original post here:
Healthy weight loss: New you resolution - Health24
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020
- Diet Demand Addresses Emotional Eating as Underlying Cause of Weight Gain - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2025 - Science of Change - January 31st, 2020
- Astonishing Growth of Weight Management Supplements Market 2020 | Latest Trends, Demand, Growth, Opportunities & Outlook Till 2027| Nutrisystem,... - January 31st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Growth, Size, Analysis, Outlook by 2020 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Technology... - January 31st, 2020
- How much weight can you expect to lose in a week according to experts - The Sun - January 31st, 2020
- Eat your dinner on time for health benefits and weight-loss - The Statesman - January 31st, 2020
- These Are the Best Walking Workouts, According to Fitness Experts - msnNOW - January 31st, 2020
- OptiBiotix Health and partner Agropur announce launch of SlimBiome in North American market - Proactive Investors UK - January 31st, 2020
- Maintaining weight loss is possible with the right strategies, experts say - ConsumerAffairs - January 29th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market : Opportunities and Forecast Assessment, 2018 to 2027 - Melanian News - January 29th, 2020
- Research Says These 3 Things Are Needed To Maintain Weight Loss - mindbodygreen.com - January 29th, 2020
- Do low-calorie sweeteners make you fat? Controversy and confusion over the role of high-intensity - FoodNavigator.com - January 29th, 2020
- Slimming Weight Management Market By Product, By Application, By Segment, By Region Global Forecast To 2024 - Expedition 99 - January 29th, 2020
- Want to lose weight and keep it off? Three things to add to your daily routine now - The Sun - January 29th, 2020