It is no news flash that weight loss is a major focus in the minds of many Americans. From weight-loss programs to exercise videos and low-fat or low-calorie foods, losing and gaining weight has become somewhat of a national pastime. Looking good and feeling good is important. After all, good health includes not only a healthy body, but also a healthy attitude.
The first component of weight management deals with healthy eating. No food plan is magical and no specific food must be included or avoided. The best dietary recommendation is to follow the guidelines set forth by the USDA MyPlate Daily Checklist. The USDA MyPlate Daily Checklist encourages eating a variety of foods from the USDA MyPlate Daily Checklist food groups.
A simple reduction in calorie intake may be recommended for weight loss. However, severely restricting calories can be counter-productive. Calorie intake needs to provide adequate nutrition without being excessive. There are about 3,500 calories in 1 pound of body fat. Therefore, to lose 1 pound, your calorie intake needs to be 3,500 less than your calorie expenditure. This would result in about a 1- to 2-pound loss per week. Adequate nutrition is difficult to achieve on fewer than 1,200 calories a day, and most healthy adults should not consume less than this amount.
Although underweight is a less common problem than overweight, for some people, the struggle to gain weight is as difficult as weight loss is for others.
Some healthy weight gain strategies are to eat regular meals, eat larger portions, eat extra snacks and beverages and increase physical activity to build muscle. A person will gain weight by increasing calories alone, but it will be mostly body fat.
The second component of weight management is to increase physical activity. Regular physical activity is a great way to increase the amount of calories expended, and aerobic activity is one of the best. With aerobic activity you can burn calories and at the same time receive the cardiovascular benefits.
The Dietary Guidelines physical activity recommendations for adults are 150 minutes of moderate-intensity per week or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity per week. For additional health benefits, you should increase your activity each week.
Some people may need to consult with a health care provider before participating in physical activity. Activities to maximize calorie expenditure should be those that are lower intensity, but performed for a longer period of time. This is one reason walking is promoted so much for individuals interested in losing weight.
Muscles burn more calories than fat. So the more muscle someone has, the more calories they will burn throughout the day. Physical activity helps reduce the amount of fat and at the same time tones and strengthen muscles. Physical activity is also beneficial for people who want to gain weight. Strength training in particular helps build muscle mass so that weight gain comes from both muscle and body fat.
Physical activity helps you feel and look healthy and so can improve self-esteem. Feeling good about yourself can help motivate you to stay with your weight management plan. Change should be slow and gradual, look for changes that will last, and weight management is an ongoing process.
Rapid weight loss is more likely to lead to a rapid regain of the weight. Remember, when your "willpower" wears down, you may feel frustrated and defeated. There is nothing wrong with using specific events or rewards as an incentive to make weight changes. Weight management should be viewed as a process. The person who has not been doing any regular activity should not decide to go out one day and run 10 miles, but should gradually work toward a specific goal.
For more information or to schedule a program locally about financial management, nutrition, health and wellness, parenting education, or Oklahoma Home and Community Education clubs, call the OSU Cooperative Extension Service in Cherokee County at 918-456-6163.
Heather Winn is a family and consumer sciences educator for the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service in Cherokee County.
See the rest here:
Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press
- Turnip Health Benefits: Weight Management, Liver Protection, More - Medical Daily - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss surgery between pregnancies tied to better outcomes - Reuters - December 9th, 2019
- Introduction and Need of the Weight Management Pet Food | Market Analysis and Trends - Montana Ledger - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best probiotics to lose weight easily! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Dietitians Say to Meal Prep These 3 Plant-Based Proteins on Sunday to Lose Weight All Week - POPSUGAR - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: Peanuts can help you lose weight - here is how to include them in your diet - Times Now - December 9th, 2019
- 5 Reasons Why A Plant-Based Diet Is Great For Your Health - International Business Times - December 9th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Value Share, Analysis and Segments 2017 to 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 9th, 2019
- Why Fiber Is the Real Weight Loss MVP and How to Get More - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Latest study on Weight Loss & Diet Management Market Size and 2025 Predication Report - The Market Stats News - December 9th, 2019
- ARFID: Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2019
- James Martin weight loss: TV chef cut this from diet plan to shed a whopping six stone - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Karyopharm Reports New and Updated XPOVIO (Selinexor) Data in Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma at the American Society of Hematology 2019... - December 9th, 2019
- Do ice baths help in muscle recovery and weight loss? - Firstpost - December 9th, 2019
- Medifast Inc (NYSE:MED) Receives Average Recommendation of Hold from Brokerages - Mitchell Messenger - December 9th, 2019
- Brushing teeth frequently will lower the risk of heart failure: Study - ANI News - December 9th, 2019
- 10 Years of Teen Mom: A Look at the O.G. Journeys - E! NEWS - December 9th, 2019
- How to manage a fatty liver? - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Growth, Insights Analysis, Forecasts to 2025 GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top snacks to help you shape up revealed - which has fewest calories? - Express - December 3rd, 2019
- What Is The Best Time To Eat Dinner To Avoid Weight Gain? Here's The Answer Revealed - Doctor NDTV - December 3rd, 2019
- Latest Research | Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019 Growth, Share Analysis and Business Strategy By Top players : Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Massive growth of Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019: Major Players- GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals, Vivus,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss And Diet Management Products And Services Market Emerging Trends and Global Demands 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market, by Segmentation: Based on Product, Application and Region 2018 to 2028 - Space Market Research - December 3rd, 2019
- How to use chia seed water for weight loss - The Indian Express - December 3rd, 2019
- Exhaustive Study on Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019-2028 Potentially Growing Significant Business Opportunities with Top Companies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- From Weight Loss to Heart Health, Here's Why You Must Eat Pistachios This Winter - Krishi Jagran - December 3rd, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - StreetInsider.com - November 29th, 2019
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Introduces New Book by World-Renowned Weight Management Expert - Newswise - November 29th, 2019
- Global Weight Management Market 2025: Top Competitive Players Herbalife International, Inc., NutriSystem, Inc., Weight Watchers International, Inc. -... - November 29th, 2019
- BioCorRx on growth fast-track with robust pipeline, programs for substance use recovery, weight loss - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 29th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta(TM) (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - P&T Community - November 29th, 2019
- DA Davidson Weighs in on Weight Watchers International, Inc.s Q4 2019 Earnings (NASDAQ:WW) - TechNewsObserver - November 29th, 2019
- How Jamun seeds can be helpful in controlling diabetes - Times of India - November 29th, 2019
- Six low-carb yet tasty breakfast options you should try - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2019
- For Long Term Weight Loss, Focus On Healthy Habits Not Numbers - NPR - November 29th, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - Financialbuzz.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 -... - November 27th, 2019
- Digbi Health's Gut Biome and DNA-Based Weight Loss and Diabetes Management Program Launches with Blue Shield of California - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss Most Likely to Improve -Cell Function in Patients With Obesity, IFG - Endocrinology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 27th, 2019
- Yes, you can avoid weight gain over the holidays! - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - November 27th, 2019
- Carlsbad wrestlers Najera and Fuentes share Thanksgiving diets - Carlsbad Current Argus - November 27th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss: 6 Easy Ways To Naturally Eat Less Without Feeling Starved - Doctor NDTV - November 27th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - TheHorse.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market to Develop Rapidly by 2017 to 2026 - Space Market Research - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Insights, Future Scope, Business Opportunities, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook 2028 - Industry... - November 27th, 2019
- What The Advance Of CWD Means For Wisconsin's Elk - WisContext - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Business Tactics, Company Profile & Growth Forecast Till 2028 - Industry Planning - November 27th, 2019
- Heart attack: Doing this exercise for less than an hour a week may slash your risk - Express - November 27th, 2019
- With A Rebrand And A New App, Will WW International Rebound In 2020? - The Motley Fool - November 23rd, 2019
- Medifast: Gaining Profits from Losing Weight - Moneyshow.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'This Is Us': Toby Just Took the Weight Loss Thing Too Far, and Fans Can't Take It - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2019
- Turnips: Nutrition, Calories, and Benefits - Healthline - November 23rd, 2019
- Include chickpea to your breakfast to lose weight quickly - Times of India - November 23rd, 2019
- Fat-shaming obese people will not help them lose weight. Here is what experts want you to know - TODAYonline - November 23rd, 2019
- Body Shape Management Market Outlooks, Future Forecasts, Key players , and Competitive Analysis 2025 | Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Obesity Management in People with Diabetes - National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) - November 21st, 2019
- Weight management market anlysis 2019-2026 | Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments and Opportunity Assessment - The Chicago Sentinel - November 21st, 2019
- Monitoring Weight in Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treated With Ibrutinib - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 21st, 2019
- How to protect yourself from chronic wasting disease in deer - PennLive - November 21st, 2019
- Not Just Weight Loss Intermittent Fasting Can Help You Lead Longer, Healthier Life Too; Know Other Health Benefits Of Following This Diet - NDTV News - November 21st, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Diets Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2025 - Statsflash - November 21st, 2019
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: This Diet May Help You Fight Flu As Well, Says Study; Know Other Amazing Health Benefits Of Keto Diet - Doctor NDTV - November 21st, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - Wales Online - November 21st, 2019
- Boiling or steaming: Which method is better to cook veggies? - Times of India - November 21st, 2019
- The Latest Weight Loss Pills That WorkAnd the Ones That Don't - msnNOW - November 17th, 2019
- If You Do Intermittent Fasting, Here's What Doctors Suggest If You're Not Losing Weight - POPSUGAR - November 17th, 2019
- Grant will explore low vision's impact on healthy lifestyle behaviors - UAB News - November 17th, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - MyLondon - November 17th, 2019
- Three north country residents honored at 'Health Hero' luncheon - NNY360 - November 17th, 2019
- Elderly should be 'offered weight loss surgery to help control diabetes' - inews - November 17th, 2019
- Weight Management: Get Helpful Tips - November 9th, 2019
- CentraCare Weight Management | Central Minnesota Weight Loss - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management at Stormont Vail Health : Personalized Plan ... - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management Center - Gatewood | Wake Forest Baptist Health - October 4th, 2019
- Weight management - Health and wellbeing - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management - Metro Health Hospital - September 14th, 2019