The state Health Department has fined the operators of two Big Island teen treatment facilities $13,300, and ordered them to close down because they were run without proper licenses.
The departments Office of Health Care and Assurance issued a notice of violation and order to Christopher Kaiser, Michael McKinney, Suzanne McKinney and Mark Agosto of Pacific Quest Corp. for running the two illegal facilities one at 15-1973 4th Ave. and the other 15-1736 22nd Ave. in Keaau.
Kaiser is the co-founder of the company, while Michael McKinney serves as president, Suzanne McKinney as vice president, and Agosto as treasurer, according to the department.
We cannot stress the importance for families to research licensed special treatment facilities or therapeutic living programs for their loved ones in need of care, said Keith Ridley, OHCA chief, in a news release. If they are uncertain whether the facility is licensed or suspect unusual activity, they should contact the Department of Health.
On its website, Pacific Quest describes itself as program serving struggling teens ages 13 to 17 with a unique, wilderness therapy program by offering a holistic approach to health and wellness. In addition to starting a whole foods diet, participants engage in daily exercise and organic gardening to learn life skills.
OHCA said it made an unannounced visit to the two facilities in response to complaints.
Upon investigation, it determined that Pacific Quest Corp. was operating the special treatment facilities, or therapeutic living programs, for young adults, illegally.
A special treatment facility provides a therapeutic residential program for the care, diagnosis, treatment or rehabilitation of socially or emotionally distressed persons, mentally ill persons, those suffering from substance abuse, and developmentally disabled persons.
A therapeutic living program offers a supervised living arrangement with mental health and substance abuse services or supportive services to those transitioning to independent living.
Neither facility had valid licenses issued by OHCA.
The state Health Department said Pacific Quest Corp. must also comply with the following:
>> Transfer or discharge all residents to a licensed special treatment facility or therapeutic living program or their legal guardian within seven calendar days of receipt of the notice;
>> Notify OHCA in writing within one calendar day that the illegal facilities identified above have ceased operations , and have safely transfered all residents to licensed facilities or legal guardians, plus provide their names and addresses.
>> Pay a $13,300 fine, which is based on a penalty of $100 for each day of unlicensed operation from Aug. 27, 2019 to Jan. 17, 2020, or a total of 133 days. The transfer or discharge date is seven calendar days from the date of the receipt of notice.
>> Disclose the location of any other special treatment facility or therapeutic living program operated by Pacific Quest Corp. or any other entity, agency, or organization owned, managed, or operated in the same manner as 15-1973 4th Avenue and 15-1736 22nd Avenue in Keeau, plus cease their operations.
Under state law, Pacific Quest can request a hearing to contest the notice within 20 days.
Go here to read the rest:
Health Department cites 2 teen treatment facilities on Big Island - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- Which foods will survive the apocalypse? - BBC News - March 31st, 2020
- Infant and Young Child Feeding in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic - Eastern, Central and Southern Africa - Africanews English - March 31st, 2020
- Can Essential Oils Help To Safely Get Rid of UTIs? - Everyday Health - March 27th, 2020
- 10 ways to share during the coronavirus pandemic - Shareable - March 27th, 2020
- Ensure That You Eat Healthy And Stay Fit While In Isolation - Femina - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Supplements that could boost your immune system during COVID-19 pandemic - Express - March 26th, 2020
- Happy to be safely home - Winnipeg Free Press - March 25th, 2020
- 7 Safe, Smart, Sanitary Habits to Use When Ordering Takeout and Delivery - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 25th, 2020
- Governor Newsom Deploys National Guard to Protect Food Security in California - One Green Planet - March 25th, 2020
- How to Treat Yourself at Home if You Have Mild COVID-19 Symptoms - Healthline - March 25th, 2020
- Sick at home with COVID-19: How to care for your loved ones infected with coronavirus - USA TODAY - March 23rd, 2020
- What you can do when you need to lose weight swiftly - The Upcoming - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronavirus: WHO on how to stay safe - The Brussels Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Contact-free home deliveries:how to support cool, independent businesses and get fresh food delivered to your door - Homes and Property - March 23rd, 2020
- IBS and Popcorn: Do They Go Together? - Healthline - March 23rd, 2020
- Yale researchers say artificial sweeteners can make healthy people sick if they are paired with this - Ladders - March 23rd, 2020
- Aimmune Announces First US Patients Are Being Treated with Newly-Approved PALFORZIA, the First Treatment for Peanut Allergy - BioSpace - March 16th, 2020
- As coronavirus spreads, is it safe to go to the gym? - TODAY - March 16th, 2020
- How to ace care packages: delivering food for family and friends in need - Good Food - March 16th, 2020
- Eating in the time of coronavirus - Los Angeles Times - March 15th, 2020
- Mini masterchefs: the benefits of teaching children how to cook - The National - March 15th, 2020
- U.K. Scientists Paying People $4,000 to Get Infected with Coronaviruses - Newsweek - March 15th, 2020
- Lettuce is overrated: FDA's leafy greens STEC action - Barfblog - March 15th, 2020
- 'Sister Wives': Janelle Brown Shares How the Brown Family's Religion Is Helping Them Prepare for the Coronavirus Pandemic - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 15th, 2020
- Inside the daring mission to reach the bottom of all Earth's oceans - Wired.co.uk - March 15th, 2020
- Is coffee good for you? It depends on the kind of coffee and the quantity - Borneo Bulletin Online - March 15th, 2020
- 10 Tips For Preparing To Stay At Home Due To The Coronavirus - BuzzFeed News - March 12th, 2020
- Scarsdale Diet Plan: Benefits, Risks and Results - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 12th, 2020
- Space-Grown Lettuce Is Safe and Astronaut-Approved - The Scientist - March 12th, 2020
- Certified Vegan Course at Limerick College of Further Education - FFT.ie - March 12th, 2020
- How to stock your pantry if you're worried about a coronavirus quarantine - The Globe and Mail - March 12th, 2020
- Safety First: Cold Weather Benefits of Exercising Outdoors - Legal Reader - March 12th, 2020
- 27 countries and regions restrict entry from Japan over coronavirus crisis - The Japan Times - March 12th, 2020
- Know causes of rectal bleeding and the steps to be taken - Onmanorama - March 12th, 2020
- Feeding your dog from the table: What you can and can't do, according to veterinarian - Fox News - March 9th, 2020
- OPINION: Fluoridated water IS about healthy children and teeth! - Rio Blanco Herald Times - March 9th, 2020
- FDA Outlines 2020 Action Plan to Advance the Safety of Leafy Greens - FDA.gov - March 9th, 2020
- At the heart of the matter - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - March 9th, 2020
- Six out of ten adults in England have high cholesterol but there are no symptoms - Mirror Online - March 9th, 2020
- TV guide: 23 of the best shows to watch this week - The Irish Times - March 9th, 2020
- Cholera cases reported in Bengaluru: Know symptoms and prevention of this water-borne disease - The Indian Express - March 9th, 2020
- Space-grown lettuce to give astronauts a more varied diet - The Guardian - March 7th, 2020
- How Do You Train a Zebra? - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - March 7th, 2020
- How to Effectively and Safely Train Your Dog - Nature World News - March 7th, 2020
- Climate Change Will Turn These Common Foods Toxic - VICE - March 7th, 2020
- 18 health myths that are outdated and wrong - CNET - March 7th, 2020
- Is Intermittent Fasting While Pregnant Safe? - Everything To Know - Women's Health - March 7th, 2020
- Last Word on teachers pay, March 7 - Daily Press - March 7th, 2020
- "It spread quickly, sending my body into acute septic shock": How flesh-eating disease nearly killed a Toronto tech CEO - Toronto Life - March 7th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science - Healthline - March 7th, 2020
- Reimaging Transportation in Alexandria - Alexandria Living Magazine - March 1st, 2020
- High Protein Diet: The Healthy Paneer Tikki Is Too Delicious To Refuse! - NDTV Food - March 1st, 2020
- The Incredible Story of Finn, the Steer Who Escaped Slaughter and Hid from Humans for Weeks Before Being Taken to a Sanctuary - One Green Planet - March 1st, 2020
- D-III Draft Prospect Ben Bartch Drank an Unholy Concoction to Pack on 60 Pounds - Sports Illustrated - March 1st, 2020
- Is Whey Protein Good For Women? - Version Weekly - March 1st, 2020
- Study Says This Nut Supports Healthy Aging More Than Any Other - mindbodygreen.com - February 29th, 2020
- Gomberg: I fell while holding my son, and a surprising thing is helping me get over hurting him - Salt Lake Tribune - February 29th, 2020
- Health beat: Get moving! The benefits and recommendations for exercise - The Deming Headlight - February 29th, 2020
- 10 Life-changing Wellness Trips to Take in 2020 - Travel+Leisure - February 29th, 2020
- Her parents taught her grit, caring for others. She's using those traits to fight heart disease. - Thrive Global - February 29th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about caring for a pet rabbit - Mirage News - February 29th, 2020
- This surprising ingredient is the secret to making the perfect bacon - msnNOW - February 29th, 2020
- Anti-Inflammatory Diet: What Are The Health Benefits? - Women's Health - February 24th, 2020
- Is Growth Hormone Safe: Widespread Fear of HGH Therapy - Gazette Review - February 24th, 2020
- Birds learn from other birds on TV to make better food decisions - CNET - February 24th, 2020
- How to Work Out Effectively Without Completely Giving Up Alcohol - VICE - February 24th, 2020
- Keto Diet Dangers You Should Know About - February 21st, 2020
- Is Intermittent Fasting Safe For Women? All Your Questions Answered - mindbodygreen.com - February 21st, 2020
- Insects grown on food waste are safe to use in animal feed - All about feed - February 21st, 2020
- Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Hair? Potential Health Risks And How To Use It Safely - YourTango - February 21st, 2020
- 7 Questions You Have About The Love Is Blind Pods, Answered By The Cast Who Fell In Love In Them - Refinery29 - February 21st, 2020
- This weight loss pill may increase your risk of cancer - NewsDio - February 21st, 2020
- Eating in moderation a fallacy - The Star, Kenya - February 18th, 2020
- Are plastic containers safe for our food? Experts say its hard to know - The Guardian - February 18th, 2020
- Recipe of the Day: Ahi Tuna Zoodler - KSDK.com - February 18th, 2020
- Private zoo in Mineola to close after recent break-in that released monkey - Longview News-Journal - February 18th, 2020
- Busting the meat myth... and Maasai paradox - nation.co.ke - February 18th, 2020
- Heartburn at night: Causes and remedies - Medical News Today - February 18th, 2020
- What Is Mycoprotein? Meet the Vegan Meat Ingredient of the Future - LIVEKINDLY - February 18th, 2020
- Why do we love fat cats and dogs but discriminate against fat people? - NBC News - February 18th, 2020