Will eating carbs really make you fat? WIKIPEDIA
Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, once said, let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food. These words still hold true today. Yet, with various opinions on diet and exercise, and new foods frequently being dubbed superfoods, it can be tough deciding which advice to take.
TheAsian Journalgot insight from Philippine-based Harvie de Baron, a sports nutritionist and founder of the acclaimed Baron Method, on some common myths about health, exercise, and food. He also shared his thoughts on some currently trending health foods that many Filipinos may already be familiar with.
Myth: Carbohydrates make you fat
Rice,pan de sal, ensaymada,andpancitare all delicious Filipino foods. They also contain carbohydrates,which people often have a love-hate relationship with due to their misassociation with weight gain.Many end up eliminating them from their diet, but Baron advises not to.
I have a love-love relationship with carbs, Baron shared with theAsian Journal. He explained that carbohydrates serve many important functions in the body like controlling the level of serotonin, which is responsible for maintaining mood balance. This can explain why many scientists believe that people with low serotonin levels seek out carbs.
There are things to consider though, as not all carbs are the same. Complex carbs such as quinoa, brown rice, and black rice are very good for the body, said Baron. The body likes those very much.
Myth: Stick to three meals
Merienda or no merienda? That is the question. Many believe that having three meals throughout the day is best for losing weight, keeping fit, and staying satiated. Others believe in having smaller meals throughout the day.
Personally, Baron is a merienda fan, but he makes sure to choose healthy snacks that the body can process, like fruits. That way, the body can use the energy from the food well, said Baron.
According to him, the body actually likes the predictability of eating regularly. He added that doing so could help prevent hunger pangs and cravings from happening at the end of the day.
Myth: Crunches or ab exercises get rid of belly fat
This is a myth because it is only true to a certain extent. There are many exercises and machines being promoted as solutions for stubborn belly fat. Unfortunately, ab exercises and machines alone wont give you a flatter stomach. Overall exercise and nutrition really make the difference. If you still eat poorly, thats not going to happen, he shared.
But that doesnt mean you should quit doing them. Doing crunches and ab workouts will actually build muscle in that area, said Baron.
Myth: Weights are for bulking up, cardio is for slimming down
This is also only true to a certain extent. You will not immediately bulk up if you lift weights, said Baron, adding that the term bulking up often has a negative connotation. This is a common concern for people looking to get smaller, but Baron explained that you could still have a strong-looking physique while retaining your figure. As for women, they generally dont have enough testosterone.
It also depends on what your goals are, he added. If you do too much cardio, you can look skinny and lean, but without muscles, said Baron. Vice versa, focusing more on weight lifting can make you bulk up. Think of bodybuilders, for example.
You have to find the right balance of doing both, said Baron. It all boils down to a combination of eating well, lifting weights, and doing your cardio.
Try this: Jackfruit (langka) The jack of all fruits
Filipinos have long enjoyedlangkainturon, halo-halo,or inginataang langka. In the United States, its quickly becoming one of the top health food trends and is popping up in stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes where they can be found canned, pre-cooked, or pre-seasoned in flavors like barbecue or teriyaki.
The fruits meat-like texture has made it a popular alternative to meat, and is a good source of Vitamins B-6, K, and C. When ripe, it is praised for being a diabetic-friendly carb!
I love that its becoming a health trend because most fruits have superfood qualities, said Baron. Its just a matter of which ones are being thrust into the spotlight at a certain point.
He reminded that fruits, in general, are very good for the body because they have a lot of vitamins, minerals, and live enzymes that make them beneficial.
Moringa (Malunggay) The new kale or matcha?
I love this stuff, shared Baron. Kale and matcha are two greens that have been embraced as famous superfoods, but can malunggay be next? The green tree is becoming increasingly popular in the states and is being sold commercially in powder or capsule form, or in bars. Many Filipinos enjoy it sauteed, in soup, or even mixed in pan de sal.
Nutrition wise, malunggay is said to have more iron than spinach, more vitamin C than oranges, and more potassium than bananas. It is also said to help fight and prevent problems like diabetes and heart disease, but more research needs to be done. Baron himself has used malunggay to help people with cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and more.
If youre looking for more ways to add malunggay to your diet, do as Baron does and use it in cooked meals, as a vegetable on its own, as a pure oil supplement, or in juicing.
Sleep inducing foods Eating to a good nights rest
Weve heard of clean eating, but clean sleeping, or simply getting a decent nights sleep, has been front and center in health trends lately. Foods like turkey, string cheese, sweet potatoes, soy milk, and the infamous durian all contain tryptophan a natural sleep-inducing compound. As a result, people are turning to these foods to help get some shut-eye.
Tryptophan definitely helps with sleep, shared Baron, but he further suggests eating foods with melatonin like bananas, and herbal teas like chamomile and peppermint which help the body relax.
Making sure our body is getting enough nutrients throughout the day is also helpful, he added. Normally, people dont get enough nutrients during the day, explained Baron. That is why they cant sleep unless they succumb to their cravings at night.
Baron also stressed that there are many strategies outside nutrition that can help us get some zzzs. Putting your cell phone aside, finding relaxing activities to help you wind down, and exercising during the day also help with good sleep.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
Read the rest here:
Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net
- What's the best way to lose fat- diet or exercise? - Belfast Live - June 1st, 2020
- Latest Scientific Findings on Weight Loss Opportunities and Diet Risks - SciTechDaily - June 1st, 2020
- 'Fat burning zone'? The best way to exercise to burn fat - Jakarta Post - June 1st, 2020
- These 3 workout and diet weight loss tips for men are so easy but they actually WORK - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- We tried Ring Fit Adventure on Nintendo Switch and it is a REAL workout. Turns out weight loss CAN be fun - T3 (Australia) - June 1st, 2020
- Tom Schwartz: The Real-Life Diet of the 'Vanderpump Rules' Star Who Is Making Questionable Smoothie Decisions in Quarantine - GQ - June 1st, 2020
- Watch How This Guy Trained to Get Six-Pack Abs in Just 6 Weeks - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2020
- Three SIMPLE weight loss tips that actually work - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Best weight loss exercises for every body type, according to fitness expert - Daily Star - June 1st, 2020
- Heather and Terry Dubrow Reveal the Perks of Their New Dubrow Keto Fusion Diet: Alcohol and Fruit! - Us Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- The Supplements to Take Before, During and After Your Workouts - LIVESTRONG.COM - June 1st, 2020
- Garth A. Rattray | The frustration of patients' non-adherence - Jamaica Gleaner - June 1st, 2020
- You can get a six pack in 15 minutes without even leaving your living room with this workout - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Cycling and illness: Can intense training increase the risk of catching a virus? - Cycling Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Diabetes type 2 - the best exercise to avoid high blood sugar symptoms - Express - June 1st, 2020
- World No Tobacco Day: Ways to use this lockdown as a catalyst to quit smoking - National Herald - June 1st, 2020
- Can Milk And Dairy Products Prevent Age-Related Bone Loss? Here's The Truth - NDTV Food - June 1st, 2020
- How to live longer: The best diet hailed by health experts to increase life expectancy - Express - June 1st, 2020
- How People Are Practicing Healthier Behaviors in the Face of COVID-19 - Healthline - June 1st, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Montreal Gazette - June 1st, 2020
- When to start a diet: 7 reasons why now is a good time from a dietitian - TODAY - May 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts reveal the best time to drink apple cider vinegar - Express - May 26th, 2020
- This Guy Tried the Workout and Diet That Helped Navy SEAL David Goggins Lose 100 Pounds in 3 Months - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- Losing Sleep During COVID-19? Tips on How and When to Exercise - Healthline - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer - the best breakfast food to prevent early death and boost weight loss - Express - May 26th, 2020
- To Fight Covid-19, Dont Neglect Immunity and Inflammation - The New York Times - May 26th, 2020
- Certain exercises linked to improved blood flow in key brain regions - SlashGear - May 26th, 2020
- How to structure a healthy diet while you're working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, according to n - Business Insider India - May 26th, 2020
- Michael Phelps Eating And Exercise Regime Proves He's Half Man, Half Amazing - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- Virus has made healthy eating more costly - just when we need a better diet - Bryan-College Station Eagle - May 26th, 2020
- Pre-Workout Diet: Five Foods To Eat Before You Hit The Treadmill - NDTV Food - May 26th, 2020
- Is it safe for Joe Maddon and Dave Roberts to manage teams? - Los Angeles Times - May 26th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Stay Fit While Maximizing Technology - HealthTechZone - May 26th, 2020
- Women need to exercise as they age, doctor says - Taipei Times - May 26th, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Cochrane Times Post - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer: The best exercise to boost heart health and increase life expectancy - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Yes, You Can Lose Weight Walking as Little as 30 Minutes a Day - but There's a Catch - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- 6 benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy - TheHealthSite - May 26th, 2020
- World Digestive Health Day Q&A with Dr Megan Rossi and Poo-pourri - ResponseSource - May 26th, 2020
- Obesity in mice prevented by disabling gene - Medical News Today - May 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: 3 things that helped Adele lose 22 kilos, according to her personal trainer - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - The Conversation UK - May 24th, 2020
- A Meal With Craig Burton, putting diet facts on the table - The Phuket News - May 24th, 2020
- Diabetic? Tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check amid pandemic - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, Vegan for 10 Years, Says "I'm In the Best Shape Ever" - The Beet - May 24th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of TimTheTatman, Who's Intermittent Fasting and Trying to Stay Healthy - GQ - May 24th, 2020
- 15 Tips To Stay Consistent On A Healthy Diet From Nutritionist - NDTV - May 24th, 2020
- Young Indiana wrestlers find ways to stay fit amid pandemic - The Herald Review - May 24th, 2020
- Skincare: Common mistakes we make during the lockdown and different ways to deal with it - PINKVILLA - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Kiowa County Press - May 24th, 2020
- As obesity's link to COVID-19 grows, one family that lost 24-year-old daughter diets together - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2020
- Overcome the coronavirus meat shortage by adopting one of the world's healthiest diets - CNN - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: This is the best time to eat to burn belly fat - but expert issues warning - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Once N95 masks are available, should I wear one?' and other coronavirus questions answered by Wisconsin health experts - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 22nd, 2020
- This Guy Threw Away Junk Food, Cut Back on TV, and Lost 80 Pounds - menshealth.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Perspective: The Exercise We're Missing Out On - WNIJ and WNIU - May 22nd, 2020
- I'm heading out into this newly opened Wisconsin. What do I need to know? Our experts are here to help. - Marshfield News-Herald - May 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 25p fruit that could prevent deadly symptoms of hypertension - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Full-body home workouts for weight loss: 4 effective exercises that will help you burn belly fat - Times Now - May 22nd, 2020
- The diet secret that Salma Hayek is prepared before a big event - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- 'I Spent My Early 30s Masking My Eating Disorder with Fad Diets and Over-Exercising' - Yahoo Style - May 22nd, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for May 22 - Mumbai Mirror - May 22nd, 2020
- Associations of Midlife Blood Pressure Responses to Exercise with the Risk of Disease in Later Life - Bel Marra Health - May 22nd, 2020
- Lockdown could be a great time to try the keto diet and this keto meal plan could really help with weight loss - T3 - May 22nd, 2020
- Before you go back out in public, read the immunity checklist - Houston Chronicle - May 22nd, 2020
- Understanding PCOS And Its Patriarchal Standards Of Femininity - Feminism in India - May 22nd, 2020
- Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams talks diet, fasting and training in lockdown - Voxy - May 22nd, 2020
- Why am I so tired? How to deal with exhaustion during pandemic - TODAY - May 22nd, 2020
- What the health? Doctor prescribes tips for wellness in his new book - The Spokesman-Review - May 22nd, 2020
- World Hypertension Day: Managing hypertension during a global health crisis - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Take care of your hair with this night routine - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- Adele seen driving to the gym as she keeps up her gruelling exercise regime after seven stone weight loss - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- The UK Lockdown Diet Report: Brits Struggling As They Pile on the Pounds, Reveals The 1:1 Diet by Cambridge Weight Plan - PR Newswire UK - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Love Your Health: Infertility, Diet And Exercise. Is There A Link? - Greeneville Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Greg Bell: The simple health choices that help Utahns fight COVID-19 - Deseret News - May 15th, 2020
- Immunity building: Ensure your diet is full of these essential nutrients - The Indian Express - May 15th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding admits to previous 'unhealthy relationship with food' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- What Happens When You Run a 5K Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 15th, 2020
- International Day of Families 2020: 5 tips to ensure a healthy, balanced diet for your family - Times Now - May 15th, 2020