Will eating carbs really make you fat? WIKIPEDIA
Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, once said, let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food. These words still hold true today. Yet, with various opinions on diet and exercise, and new foods frequently being dubbed superfoods, it can be tough deciding which advice to take.
TheAsian Journalgot insight from Philippine-based Harvie de Baron, a sports nutritionist and founder of the acclaimed Baron Method, on some common myths about health, exercise, and food. He also shared his thoughts on some currently trending health foods that many Filipinos may already be familiar with.
Myth: Carbohydrates make you fat
Rice,pan de sal, ensaymada,andpancitare all delicious Filipino foods. They also contain carbohydrates,which people often have a love-hate relationship with due to their misassociation with weight gain.Many end up eliminating them from their diet, but Baron advises not to.
I have a love-love relationship with carbs, Baron shared with theAsian Journal. He explained that carbohydrates serve many important functions in the body like controlling the level of serotonin, which is responsible for maintaining mood balance. This can explain why many scientists believe that people with low serotonin levels seek out carbs.
There are things to consider though, as not all carbs are the same. Complex carbs such as quinoa, brown rice, and black rice are very good for the body, said Baron. The body likes those very much.
Myth: Stick to three meals
Merienda or no merienda? That is the question. Many believe that having three meals throughout the day is best for losing weight, keeping fit, and staying satiated. Others believe in having smaller meals throughout the day.
Personally, Baron is a merienda fan, but he makes sure to choose healthy snacks that the body can process, like fruits. That way, the body can use the energy from the food well, said Baron.
According to him, the body actually likes the predictability of eating regularly. He added that doing so could help prevent hunger pangs and cravings from happening at the end of the day.
Myth: Crunches or ab exercises get rid of belly fat
This is a myth because it is only true to a certain extent. There are many exercises and machines being promoted as solutions for stubborn belly fat. Unfortunately, ab exercises and machines alone wont give you a flatter stomach. Overall exercise and nutrition really make the difference. If you still eat poorly, thats not going to happen, he shared.
But that doesnt mean you should quit doing them. Doing crunches and ab workouts will actually build muscle in that area, said Baron.
Myth: Weights are for bulking up, cardio is for slimming down
This is also only true to a certain extent. You will not immediately bulk up if you lift weights, said Baron, adding that the term bulking up often has a negative connotation. This is a common concern for people looking to get smaller, but Baron explained that you could still have a strong-looking physique while retaining your figure. As for women, they generally dont have enough testosterone.
It also depends on what your goals are, he added. If you do too much cardio, you can look skinny and lean, but without muscles, said Baron. Vice versa, focusing more on weight lifting can make you bulk up. Think of bodybuilders, for example.
You have to find the right balance of doing both, said Baron. It all boils down to a combination of eating well, lifting weights, and doing your cardio.
Try this: Jackfruit (langka) The jack of all fruits
Filipinos have long enjoyedlangkainturon, halo-halo,or inginataang langka. In the United States, its quickly becoming one of the top health food trends and is popping up in stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes where they can be found canned, pre-cooked, or pre-seasoned in flavors like barbecue or teriyaki.
The fruits meat-like texture has made it a popular alternative to meat, and is a good source of Vitamins B-6, K, and C. When ripe, it is praised for being a diabetic-friendly carb!
I love that its becoming a health trend because most fruits have superfood qualities, said Baron. Its just a matter of which ones are being thrust into the spotlight at a certain point.
He reminded that fruits, in general, are very good for the body because they have a lot of vitamins, minerals, and live enzymes that make them beneficial.
Moringa (Malunggay) The new kale or matcha?
I love this stuff, shared Baron. Kale and matcha are two greens that have been embraced as famous superfoods, but can malunggay be next? The green tree is becoming increasingly popular in the states and is being sold commercially in powder or capsule form, or in bars. Many Filipinos enjoy it sauteed, in soup, or even mixed in pan de sal.
Nutrition wise, malunggay is said to have more iron than spinach, more vitamin C than oranges, and more potassium than bananas. It is also said to help fight and prevent problems like diabetes and heart disease, but more research needs to be done. Baron himself has used malunggay to help people with cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and more.
If youre looking for more ways to add malunggay to your diet, do as Baron does and use it in cooked meals, as a vegetable on its own, as a pure oil supplement, or in juicing.
Sleep inducing foods Eating to a good nights rest
Weve heard of clean eating, but clean sleeping, or simply getting a decent nights sleep, has been front and center in health trends lately. Foods like turkey, string cheese, sweet potatoes, soy milk, and the infamous durian all contain tryptophan a natural sleep-inducing compound. As a result, people are turning to these foods to help get some shut-eye.
Tryptophan definitely helps with sleep, shared Baron, but he further suggests eating foods with melatonin like bananas, and herbal teas like chamomile and peppermint which help the body relax.
Making sure our body is getting enough nutrients throughout the day is also helpful, he added. Normally, people dont get enough nutrients during the day, explained Baron. That is why they cant sleep unless they succumb to their cravings at night.
Baron also stressed that there are many strategies outside nutrition that can help us get some zzzs. Putting your cell phone aside, finding relaxing activities to help you wind down, and exercising during the day also help with good sleep.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
Read the rest here:
Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017