Emily Potter had an unnerving task earlier this month. Like thousands of other Canadians overseas, she had to find a way home in the wake of the growing COVID-19 threat.
There was a hitch, though.
Winnipegger Emily Potter is currently self-isolating at her dads house after returning from the Czech Republic.
The 24-year-old Winnipegger would be stuck in the Czech Republic,self-isolating for another week while waiting for a flight out after KP Brno's season inthe country'spro women's basketball league was cancelled.
Her team had played on March 11andwas to play one more regular-season game before starting the playoffs.
On her appointed travel day, a two-hour drive from Brno to the airport in Prague went smoothy. Then, momentary panic.
Potter's scheduled flight to Frankfurt had been cancelled, requiring her to book another trip, this one to London's Heathrow later that day. While she waited in Prague, she madejoking plea via Twitter forPrime Minister Justin Trudeau to send a plane.
EMBED TWITTER LINK HERE:https://twitter.com/empotter10/status/1240234657133854722
With hersense of humour intact, Potter boarded the jet with only 10 passengers (Czech nationals had been banned from travelling) bound for England, spent the night in London before a connecting flights to Toronto and Winnipeg, arriving on Thursday.
Coming home never felt so good. Most importantly, she felt healthy, too.
The two-week quarantine,prescribed for all Canadians returning from overseas, will be spent mostly in the basement of her dad Robert's house.
"It hasn't been bad," said Potter Tuesday. "I've been getting out for daily walks, at-home workouts and just trying to find stuff to do. Crafts, cleaning, projects, stuff like that.
"We've got a countdown on the whiteboard by the kitchen, it's Day 5 of self-isolation. I'm feeling good. It's kinda weird, though. Every time I feel a tickle in my throat or I cough I'm, 'Oh my gosh, am I getting sick?' I just wouldn't want to spread it to anyone else if I got sick."
Potter is determined to keep fresh and focused, avoidingthe constant diet of television that is often the first resort of someone who's being cooped up. As a crafty person, she already owns a sewing machine and plans use the time to start making cloths.
She misses basketball but knows she will have to do without, at least for a while. Robert Potter, who operates a local construction company, is still working out of the house and so Emily has a lot of time to herself.
"Sometimes it's not too good to look too far ahead," said Potter. "I'm just trying to fill my days with as much as possible, not just sitting around watching Netflix. Home workouts, talking to other friends in the States or friends who have come home from overseas, because they're self-isolating as well. Cooking, baking, arts and crafts that kind of thing.
"After these two weeks is over, there aren't too many places to go. I'm excited to go to the grocery store that's pretty much all there is. I think I might try to get a job, helping out in some way."
Delivering groceries to those who are unable to shop for themselves seems like a worthy idea."There are people higher risk that me that are going to be concerned about going out," she said.
Public service has become an important part of Potter's life.
Three years ago,she went very public with her own struggles with depressionwhile a student at the University of Utah by writing a personal account of her battle with mental illness for her school newspaper. In her essay, Potter admitted she took medication and required counselling.
Potter remains a commited mental health advocate.
"I think for people who struggle with mental illness, this could be a hard time for them," said Potter. "But even people who don't struggle with mental illness may see a dip in their mental health just because of the change in routine and a lot of uncertainty and unknowns.
"I think we definitely need to lean on each other not physically," she added with a laugh.
Basketball remains a big part ofPotter'slife. She suited up for Canada's national team last year and hopes to play in the Olympics one day. Keeping sharp and fit in these perilous times will take some doing.
Outdoor courts are not an option yet and running outside in the icy conditions can be tricky but Potter has a plan.
"Any time I've had a break from playing, it's been because I was injured," she said. "Even though I'm not injured right now, that past perspective is going to help me. I'll do what I can to stay in shape and try some things I normally don't. Right now I'm doing yoga every day and that's something I don't normally do during the season."
Mike SawatzkySports Reporter
Mike has been working on the Free Press sports desk since 2003.
Read full biography
Happy to be safely home - Winnipeg Free Press
- Eid-ul-Fitr 2020: How to break your fast in a healthy way to avoid digestive troubles - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Pets are great, but think before adopting | News | ottumwacourier.com - Ottumwacourier - May 24th, 2020
- Inside the pilot program that Iowa State is using to bring back its athletes - Syracuse Journal-Democrat - May 24th, 2020
- Mum lost five stone in a year and became super fit after the dramatic birth of her baby - Berkshire Live - Berkshire Live - May 24th, 2020
- How to lose a stone and tone up during lockdown - The Times - May 24th, 2020
- Telehealth Visits Allow Patients to Connect to Care During COVID-19 - UC San Diego Health - May 24th, 2020
- What is FODMAP intolerance and how to relieve the symptoms - Insider - INSIDER - May 24th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding Reveals She Fasts for Up to 40 Hours at a Time: I Do It Very Safely - Us Weekly - May 19th, 2020
- Need a little lockdown weight loss? Eat MORE of these five foods and LESS of these blacklisted ones - T3 - May 19th, 2020
- How the Sixers Are Staying Fit and Eating Healthy at Home Right Now - phillymag.com - May 19th, 2020
- Reevaluating fish consumption advisories during the COVID-19 pandemic: Analysis - Environmental Health News - May 19th, 2020
- 6 Tips on How to Stay Active at Home - Freeport Journal-Standard - May 19th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding reveals she fasts up to 40 hours at a time - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- How to get out of quarantine in good health and not overweight - The Times Hub - May 19th, 2020
- Ways to Fuel Your Immune System Not Just to Fight Off the Coronavirus - Reform Austin - May 18th, 2020
- One Twin Went Vegan. The Other Didn't. Here's What Happened to Their Bodies - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 18th, 2020
- Mix of straw and hay proves effective in stripping weight off ponies - study - Horsetalk - May 18th, 2020
- Mitchell Park's Fatty the parrot is missing - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- Born on this day - May 12: Jonah Lomu, All Blacks winger - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- From fighting off jaguars to eating frogs and SNAKES for 71 days the most shocking wilderness survival s - The Irish Sun - May 18th, 2020
- Your Cat Is Totally Allowed to Eat These 7 Human Foods We Asked 2 Vets to Be Sure - POPSUGAR - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to workplace as state reopens - Pike County News Watchman - May 15th, 2020
- As Boris Johnson vows to lose weight the 6 ways to do it safely - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Genius Ways to Use Chia Seeds, According to Nutritionists - The Beet - May 15th, 2020
- The Pain of Perfection When You Live With a Chronic Illness - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to post-COVID-19 workplace - The Ohio State University News - May 15th, 2020
- Eating to beat COVID-19, othersInterview - Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Houston medical experts on how to be healthy during and after COVID-19 - CultureMap Houston - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Medicinal Mushrooms that Boost Immunity - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet - May 15th, 2020
- For Your Fitness: When you want to be healthier - LaineyGossip - May 15th, 2020
- Staying safe, healthy amid pandemic during proposed reopenings: Dr Nina Radcliff - Press of Atlantic City - May 10th, 2020
- Is Brad Pitt Vegan? What You Need to Know - LIVEKINDLY - May 10th, 2020
- 9 Myths About Low-Carb Diets - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- Can You Eat Fish Skin, and Is It Healthy? - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- How to build muscle at home: 5 of the most effective muscle building tips for beginners (and pros too) - T3 - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: How effective has HR been so far? | theHRD - The HR Director Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: How it can help you lose weight and even save money - CNET - May 9th, 2020
- Obesity does increase risk of death from Covid-19 but diets arent the answer, chief doc warns - The Sun - May 6th, 2020
- Your front line defence isn't masks and gloves: its health - Gulf Times - May 6th, 2020
- Fare Exchange: A crustless quiche, an easy side dish and a variation on banana bread - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 6th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Dine Out? The Answer Is Extremely Partisan. - The Daily Beast - May 6th, 2020
- Need To Satisfy A Beauty Itch? We've Got 4 Safe Ways To Have Fun Right Now - mindbodygreen.com - May 6th, 2020
- Three Ways to Support a Healthy Food System During the COVID-19 Pandemic - EcoWatch - May 6th, 2020
- McDonald's in Harrow among the first fifteen restaurants to reopen - Harrow Times - May 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Expired Yogurt? Heres What Food Safety Experts Have To Say - Women's Health - May 2nd, 2020
- Let the Sunshine In - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- BARRATTS JOIN FORCES WITH WESSEX HEARTBEAT TO PROMOTE ISOLATION HEALTH TIPS - Island Echo - May 1st, 2020
- Is Corn Gluten-Free? Here's What to Know - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 1st, 2020
- McDonald's confirms when it will begin to re-open branches across the UK - NW Evening Mail - May 1st, 2020
- Millions Of Zimbabweans Are Already Struggling To Put Food On The Table UN Report - ZimEye - Zimbabwe News - May 1st, 2020
- Coping with Corona: Inclined to recline - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - May 1st, 2020
- Irrfan Khan's Son, Babil Shares a Video of the Late Actor Eating Pani Puri and it's Bound to Make You Smile - LatestLY - May 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: Fix it With Food; Superfoods to become Superhealthy by Kavita Devgan - Hindustan Times - April 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Erika Winning Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - April 30th, 2020
- Diabetes and Ramadan: Frequently asked questions - Greater Kashmir - April 30th, 2020
- How to Manage Stress Migraines During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - April 30th, 2020
- Six-Pack Abs: How Long Does It Take, Nutrition, and Exercise - Greatist - April 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Column: And So It Begins - Virginia Connection Newspapers - April 30th, 2020
- What to do if you find a baby bird on the ground - Deseret News - April 23rd, 2020
- Hunters, anglers, even Fish and Wildlife commissioners say restrictions on recreation should be lifted - The Spokesman-Review - April 23rd, 2020
- A real world version of Pokmon Go lets you track orangutans in the jungle - Massive Science - April 23rd, 2020
- Good Health Begins in Your Mouth - Live Trading News - April 23rd, 2020
- Four healthy eating strategies to work on while staying at home - The Globe and Mail - April 20th, 2020
- Opinion: There Is No 'Get Tough' With Coronavirus; We Need A New Slogan - NPR - April 20th, 2020
- The cost of deferred care: We cannot pause our healthcare system - Jordan Times - April 20th, 2020
- Inverness vet: Pets can provide comfort in these worrying times - Inverness Courier - April 20th, 2020
- Cuomo: New York Has Passed COVID-19 Peak, Warns of Second Wave - wpdh.com - April 20th, 2020
- Where does good news fit in the coverage of a pandemic? - Poynter - April 20th, 2020
- The importance of taking part in the census - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Your socially isolated brain craves interaction with other people just as much as it craves a meal when you are hungry - Massive Science - April 18th, 2020
- Cauliflower Rice: Calories and Nutrition Facts - Healthline - April 17th, 2020
- Eat REAL's #RainbowTacoChallenge Promotes Food Access, Joyful Cooking with Colorful Foods, and Social Connectivity - PRUnderground - April 17th, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - April 17th, 2020
- If You Want To Lose 20 Pounds Or More, Strength Training Matters More Than You Think - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 16th, 2020
- What is reverse dieting and how to best recover from a restrictive diet - Insider - INSIDER - April 16th, 2020
- Cheetah #Cubdate 2: April 14 - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - April 16th, 2020
- Simple science communication helps ease fears and spread good information during the COVID-19 pandemic - Massive Science - April 16th, 2020
- How to Deal With Feeling Bad About Your Body During Isolation - VICE UK - April 12th, 2020
- Novelist Andrew Cotto on Giving Up Meat and Dairy for a Week. - The Beet - April 12th, 2020
- He Eats Meat But Owns Vegan Restaurantsand in the Wake of Coronavirus, He Thinks We All Need to Rethink Our Diets - VegNews - April 12th, 2020