By Sheree Bega Sep 5, 2020
Share this article:
Johannesburg - The NSPCA had observed gross cruelty towards the consignment of 50000 sheep and 600 cattle loaded onto the Al Messilah livestock carrier this week before being shipped to the Middle East, it said on Friday.
The Al Messilah, owned by Kuwaiti livestock exporter Al Mawashi, departed from East London on Thursday morning on a journey over the equator that will stretch between 14 and 21 days.
The NSPCA said it documented numerous contraventions to the Animal Protection Act, including inhumane and cruel handling, unacceptable levels of noxious gases and noise and overloading.
These contraventions included animals legs caught between trucks and ramps, dragging of the sheep by the fleece, legs and horns, punching and kicking, tail twisting, knee jabbing into the ribs of animals, and grabbing and tossing of animals.
It said more than half of the sheep were not afforded adequate space and pens were overcrowded.
At this time of the year, with expected high temperatures, this kind of stocking density is unacceptable, especially for the overweight animals.
"Six newborn lambs were discovered on board the vessel, with more likely to be born in the coming days." Most of the sheep, it said the organisation said, had not been sheared. These are all contraventions of the OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health) international standards.
The NSPCA recently took importers and exporters to court, seeking to prevent the live export, citing concerns that these animals would be subject to serious cruelty on the journey.
Concerns related to the high temperatures the animals would be subject to in being transported in sweltering heat, the stress of being land animals at sea, a changed diet, the difficulties of disposing of their waste safely, the condition of sick animals, among others..
Animal Law Reform South Africa (ALRSA) and their representatives at the Centre for Applied Legal Studies have been closely following the matter.
Last week, the Grahamstown High Court ordered that a reduced number of sheep may be exported live to the Middle East and instructed the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development to monitor and ensure compliance with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) guidelines.
It seems almost impossible that the particular standards the court set could be observed in just one week, said David Bilchitz, director at ALRSA Animal Law Reform SA and professor of law at the University of Johannesburg.
For example, the standards require each individual animal to be inspected to assess their fitness to travel: How could this be done for over 50000 animals in such a short space of time?
The NSPCA said that although it pointed out the blatant contraventions, the exporters were still allowed to load the sheep. We are still waiting for the department to release a comprehensive report, said Nazareth Appalsamy, senior inspector of the farm animal protection unit.
It laid charges in terms of the Act and will continue to fight for the ban of live export of sheep by sea over the equator. In a statement, Al Mawashi South Africa said the export of live 50 310 sheep was critical for food security, religious sacrifice, and consumer preference for freshly slaughtered meat in Middle Eastern countries.
The court, it said, required a report from the Eastern Cape Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform that showed compliance with the humane and ethical treatment of animals before the export permit could be issued.
Accredited live export veterinary expert Dr Colin Scrivener would travel with the animals, while accredited stock handlers would work alongside him to care for the livestock and monitor animal health during the voyage, it said.
Careful voyage planning, a world-class ventilation system, access to feed and water, and good stocking density providing ample space for animals and allow us to achieve great results.
This week, 6000 cattle drowned on their way from New Zealand to China when a cargo ship capsized in rough seas during Tyhoon Maysak, leading New Zealand to suspend cattle exports. Forty one crew members remain unaccounted for.
The Saturday Star
Continue reading here:
'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Want to Lose Weight Running? Experts Explain How to Achieve Your Goals Faster (and Safely) - Yahoo! Voices - September 22nd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- From a bald budgie to a fat goldfish your pet queries answered - The Sun - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020
- Severe Weather Warning Issued For Melbourne On Wednesday - KIIS1011 - September 1st, 2020