When people are trying to lose weight, they usually focus on what to cut out of their diet. But adding green tea to your diet can be an easy, healthy addition to your weight loss journey.
While green tea may help you shed pounds, you should check with your doctor to see whether losing weight is a healthy option for you. If your doctor gives you the go-ahead, then it may be worth it to try this antioxidant-rich beverage.
Here's why green tea can help with weight loss.
Green tea can boost metabolism because it contains caffeine. This allows you to burn more calories and helps with weight loss."The stimulant properties of the caffeine increase the oxidation rate within the cell's metabolism which .... increases the calories we burn," says Hunnes.
In a small 2008 study, researchers gave obese participants either green tea or a placebo over the course of 12 weeks. The participants did not change their activity level or diets. After 12 weeks, those who had green tea lost 7.3 pounds more than those who had the placebo, and burned 183.38 calories more with their resting energy expenditure.
The caffeine in green tea is responsible for this benefit. Caffeine has been shown to enhance performance in athletes when consumed close to competition, says Emily Monfiletto, RD, senior registered dietitian at Baylor College of Medicine. This is because caffeine can make you feel like you are exerting yourself less than you really are and help reduce exercise-related pain, says Monfiletto.
Aside from enhancing performance, green tea may also help you burn more fat during a workout. In a small 2008 study, men were given green tea extract before working out. Their fat burning rate was 17% higher than those who received a placebo.
When you're trying to lose weight, it's a good idea to cut back on sugary drinks. Hunnes says green tea can have zero calories from fat if you don't add sugar to it, and you will get nutrients like antioxidants that you wouldn't get from drinking soda.
Green tea can also give you more sustained energy, without a crash, opposed to sugary drinks. If you replace sugary drinks with green tea, then you will be cutting back on a significant amount of calories over time, which can help result in weight loss.
"One can of soda typically contains 150 calories. Simply brewed green tea without anything added has negligible calories, so every can of soda that you replace in a day with green tea or any other calorie-free beverage, you would save 150 calories every serving," says Monfiletto.
Hunnes says the best way to drink green tea for weight loss is by drinking it brewed either hot or cold, without any added sugar.
You should use authentic green tea made from true green tea leaves. It should say this on the label. Hunnes says herbal teas are usually not made from true tea leaves, so you may want to stay away from those.
There are different varieties of green tea, such as sencha, matcha, and jasmine. They all offer great health benefits. They originate from the same plant, but there are differences in how they are processed, Monfiletto says.
Regardless of the type of green tea, the suggested amount is three to four cups of green tea a day, and there isn't necessarily a "best" time to consume it, Hunnes says.
However, Monfiletto says if you are sensitive to caffeine, you may want to avoid drinking it in the afternoon and evenings so it doesn't interfere with your sleep. She says the absolute maximum consumption of green tea should be nine or ten cups a day, based on safe caffeine limits.
Green tea alone likely won't be a major factor in your weight loss, but it may help make a small difference, especially if you are replacing sugary beverages with this healthy alternative.
To experience the most significant weight loss results, you will also need to make changes to your overall diet and activity level and green tea might just give you the boost that you need to get going.
Read more from the original source:
Green tea may help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism, powering your workout, and more - Insider - INSIDER
- 7-day diet plan for weight loss: Here is what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner to lose fat - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Tips for that post-holiday diet and how to lose weight after the holidays - ABC 4 - January 15th, 2021
- Five ways you lose all that holiday weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 15th, 2021
- Sherri Shepherd and HealthyWage Partner to Pay $10,000 to Dieters Achieving Weight Loss Goal - Black Enterprise - January 15th, 2021
- This Tea May Help You Lose Weight While Sleeping - Researchers Reveal - NDTV Food - January 15th, 2021
- Local dieticians give advice on how to lose weight and keep it off - 69News WFMZ-TV - January 15th, 2021
- Americans blame mindless eating and weight gain on doom-scrolling and boredom - Yahoo Entertainment - January 15th, 2021
- If Youre Planning On Losing Weight In 2021, Think Before You Tell Me About It - Refinery29 - January 15th, 2021
- Weight loss transformation of Bollywood celebrities that left us stunned - Yahoo Finance UK - January 15th, 2021
- 21 Ways to Get a Flat Belly After 40, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 15th, 2021
- If You Want To Keep Your New Years Resolution, Stop Doing These 3 Things - CBS Denver - January 15th, 2021
- Genes and diet can play a role in developing Type 2 diabetes - Norton Healthcare - January 15th, 2021
- Is jogging good for weight loss? Here are 5 cardio exercises that will keep your weight in check - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Add more of this vitamin in your diet to lose weight in winter - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast - top fat burning snacks - Express - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I Counted Calories And Did Resistance Training To Lose 60 PoundsAnd I've Kept It Off For 3 Years' - Women's Health - January 3rd, 2021
- Lose weight and enjoy food in 2021 with exclusive recipes from cookery sensations Pinch of Nom - The Sun - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I had a son I needed to be around for': Edmonton father develops own weight loss app - Edmonton Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Why I will never resolve to lose weight again' - 9Honey - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: "I replaced refined oils with cold-pressed oils" - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Jerry Brewer: Tallying up a year of loss - A lot of pounds, too many loved ones, countless connections - The Spokesman-Review - January 3rd, 2021
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- 'At 180kgs, I decided to quit dieting. Quit trying to lose weight. Hopefully forever.' - Mamamia - January 3rd, 2021
- Eastern Panhandle health officials offer new years resolution advice - Martinsburg Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 10 New Year's resolutions that are better than "losing quarantine weight" - The Know - January 3rd, 2021
- Soft Belly Fat vs Hard Belly Fat: Which is more difficult to lose and why? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- If you added some pandemic pounds in 2020, try setting goals and changing habits in 2021 - Anchorage Daily News - January 3rd, 2021
- Six reasons why you are not losing weight - The Standard - December 17th, 2020
- 7 ways to stay motivated on your weight loss journey, according to a dietitian - Insider - INSIDER - December 17th, 2020
- Want to lose weight fast? Add these Ayurvedic herbs to your diet - TheHealthSite - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: I followed 16 hours of daily fasting and walked every day - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- 7 reasons to stop complimenting others on weight loss - KSL.com - December 17th, 2020
- New Survey Finds 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: Biggest celebrity weight loss stories of 2020 - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- New survey finds 71 million Americans have gained weight during the COVID-19 pandemic - Boston Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Still carrying extra lockdown weight? Here's five great offers to help... - Cambridge Independent - December 17th, 2020
- 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - Essence - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, say goodbye to restrictive diets and hello to Noom - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Marvel Star Chris Pratt Admitted He Had Body Image Issues Before Losing Weight for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 17th, 2020
- Fennel Seeds for Gas and Bloating: We Take a Long, Hard Sniff - Greatist - December 17th, 2020
- Walking vs. running: Weight loss, heart health, and more - Medical News Today - December 10th, 2020
- Lose The Weight With Sonya Jones - thejournal-news.net - December 10th, 2020
- 'Pressured to lose weight', Sport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - December 10th, 2020
- Eat well to stay well is the favourite recipe to your weight loss success - Belfast Telegraph - December 10th, 2020
- Ghislaine Maxwell Losing Weight and Hair in Prison on Jeffrey Epstein Charges: Lawyer - Newsweek - December 10th, 2020
- Lorry driver so overweight he had to be carried by forklift loses half his body weight - Wales Online - December 10th, 2020
- Why 'Little House on the Prairie' Star Melissa Sue Anderson Was Told to Lose Weight When She Was Cast as Mary Ingalls - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 10th, 2020
- How to Safely Exercise in the Dark - msnNOW - December 10th, 2020
- Ability to lose weight is not affected by age - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2020
- Lose Weight and Stay Sane This Season! The Energy Balance Equation - The Great Courses Daily News - December 9th, 2020
- 4 Simple Lifestyle Changes You Can Make To Lose Weight By The Holidays - SheFinds - December 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting: The Beginners Guide to Time-Restricted Eating, 5:2 Diets, and Other Forms of Intermittent Fasting - GQ - December 9th, 2020
- What are probiotic foods and how they help lose weight and belly fat - Times of India - December 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Reset these hormones to lose stubborn belly fat - TheHealthSite - December 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: All The Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Eggs In Winter - NDTV - December 9th, 2020
- Losing weight and raising pounds for the East Cheshire Hospice - In Your Area - December 9th, 2020
- How To Lose Weight In Unprecedented Times With Nico Dandini, Fitness Professional And Coach At Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning - Yahoo Finance - December 9th, 2020
- It's never too late to ramp up your retirement savingshere's how to get started later in life - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2020
- Did Aamir Khan drop Vijay Sethupati from Laal Singh Chaddha for not losing weight, here's the truth - IBTimes India - December 9th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 9th, 2020
- 7 common reasons why you're not losing weight and tips to help you shed stubborn pounds - Insider - INSIDER - December 8th, 2020
- Here's Everything You Need to Know About Losing Weight by Walking - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Reverse Dieting: Can it Actually Help You Lose Weight? - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Try this healthy way to lose weight - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- Important Things to Consider When Choosing a Weight Loss Plan - ABCmoney.co.uk - December 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I started having jeera water, chia seeds water, green tea and black coffee - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- One item to add to your wellness tool kit this holiday season! - 100 Mile House Free Press - December 8th, 2020
- Gen Z teens dieting and worrying about weight 'more than previous generations' - Wales Online - December 8th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 8th, 2020
- TikTok investigating videos promoting starvation and anorexia - The Guardian - December 8th, 2020
- Gaining weight can be difficult but here are the safest ways to do it - The Conversation UK - November 27th, 2020
- 7 Low-Carb Diet Foods That Can Help You Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2020
- Health tips for men: Lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health - fingerlakes1.com - November 27th, 2020
- Age No Barrier to Weight Loss in Those With Morbid Obesity - Medscape - November 27th, 2020
- Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes to Losing Weight, Study - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I have a hot cup of amla jeera water every morning - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss: "My IT career made me pile on 25 kilos! Here is how I lost it and became a bodybuilder" - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- 3 inspiring tips that helped this woman lose 95 kilograms - 7NEWS.com.au - November 27th, 2020
- Jeff Dana of Prolean Wellness will show you how to lose weight during the holidays - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- 5 Smoothie Rules You Must Follow to Lose Weight - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 27th, 2020