I fell down the stairs while holding my child and Ill never be the same.
That may sound dramatic, but with the amount of blood and screaming that resulted, I think Im warranted a little drama.
I wasnt really physically injured, just minor carpet burns and bruises. My 3 year-old, Harvey, got the worst of it and thats actually whats causing me pain.
The saga started when I got the flu. The real flu. And it was bad. I hadnt hugged or held my son in days, and one night when I was exhausted and weary and he begged for a hug, I gave in ridiculously hoping I wouldnt get him sick.
We embraced for a minute or two in the kitchen and when I went to put him down, he clung on. He put his head over my shoulder, arms around my neck and legs around my waist.
Id have stood there forever, but I hadnt eaten much in a couple days and had already taken nighttime flu meds, so I was quickly losing steam.
I decided to walk him downstairs that way; it was time for teeth brushing and stories, but hugging could still happen. On the second stair, I slipped and my legs shot out in front of me. When my back hit the stairs, his little face struck the cold, hard tile.
Then we tumbled the rest of the way down.
We screamed his was bloody murder and mine a combination of swears and sorrys. My wife, Elenor, had just made it down safely before us. She immediately scooped him up from my dazed arms.
I handed him over, thinking it was his leg I had hurt. I had felt all my weight on it for several stairs, so I was sure Id see it dangling. But to my confused surprise, it seemed solidly attached.
It was when she turned around so I could see his face that our scene went from PG-13 to full on R-rated horror. F-words. Screaming. And so much blood.
I shouldnt have even been holding him.
But I had no time for regret. Within minutes, all three of us were on our way to the emergency department at Primary Childrens Hospital. Harvey, swollen, bruised and bloody, had miraculously calmed a bit.
As the nurses triaged him and took his vitals, I found the only available seat it was on the floor next to the chair in which Elenor and Harvey sat and I quietly sobbed under my face mask.
I knew he had split the flesh between his upper lip and gums, and we wondered if he had broken his nose. He didnt look like himself, and it was all my fault.
Id never forgive myself.
When we got into a hospital room, Harvey asked if his lip was bending (I think that was his way of describing the swelling), so I confirmed it definitely was, and turned on my phones camera to show him his face.
As he looked at his reflection, the most miraculous thing happened: His expression went from concerned and curious to warm and smiley.
A real smile. He was pleased.
And he was fine, the docs confirmed. All of his teeth were strong. No broken bones. And the mouth tear would heal with a couple days of a soft diet. The damage was nothing a little time wouldnt take care of, they reassured us.
For him, I thought.
Im another story. My damage will linger.
But as the days have passed and his injuries have faded, Ive tried to think less about our fall and more about the moment when he smiled into the camera. And Ive realized that his resilience can inspire my own.
So, while I hope to never fall with him again, Im fine knowing Ill fall for him a million more times.
Marina Gomberg is a communications professional and lives in Salt Lake City with her wife, Elenor Gomberg, and their son, Harvey. You can reach Marina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eid-ul-Fitr 2020: How to break your fast in a healthy way to avoid digestive troubles - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Pets are great, but think before adopting | News | ottumwacourier.com - Ottumwacourier - May 24th, 2020
- Inside the pilot program that Iowa State is using to bring back its athletes - Syracuse Journal-Democrat - May 24th, 2020
- Mum lost five stone in a year and became super fit after the dramatic birth of her baby - Berkshire Live - Berkshire Live - May 24th, 2020
- How to lose a stone and tone up during lockdown - The Times - May 24th, 2020
- Telehealth Visits Allow Patients to Connect to Care During COVID-19 - UC San Diego Health - May 24th, 2020
- What is FODMAP intolerance and how to relieve the symptoms - Insider - INSIDER - May 24th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding Reveals She Fasts for Up to 40 Hours at a Time: I Do It Very Safely - Us Weekly - May 19th, 2020
- Need a little lockdown weight loss? Eat MORE of these five foods and LESS of these blacklisted ones - T3 - May 19th, 2020
- How the Sixers Are Staying Fit and Eating Healthy at Home Right Now - phillymag.com - May 19th, 2020
- Reevaluating fish consumption advisories during the COVID-19 pandemic: Analysis - Environmental Health News - May 19th, 2020
- 6 Tips on How to Stay Active at Home - Freeport Journal-Standard - May 19th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding reveals she fasts up to 40 hours at a time - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- How to get out of quarantine in good health and not overweight - The Times Hub - May 19th, 2020
- Ways to Fuel Your Immune System Not Just to Fight Off the Coronavirus - Reform Austin - May 18th, 2020
- One Twin Went Vegan. The Other Didn't. Here's What Happened to Their Bodies - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 18th, 2020
- Mix of straw and hay proves effective in stripping weight off ponies - study - Horsetalk - May 18th, 2020
- Mitchell Park's Fatty the parrot is missing - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- Born on this day - May 12: Jonah Lomu, All Blacks winger - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- From fighting off jaguars to eating frogs and SNAKES for 71 days the most shocking wilderness survival s - The Irish Sun - May 18th, 2020
- Your Cat Is Totally Allowed to Eat These 7 Human Foods We Asked 2 Vets to Be Sure - POPSUGAR - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to workplace as state reopens - Pike County News Watchman - May 15th, 2020
- As Boris Johnson vows to lose weight the 6 ways to do it safely - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Genius Ways to Use Chia Seeds, According to Nutritionists - The Beet - May 15th, 2020
- The Pain of Perfection When You Live With a Chronic Illness - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to post-COVID-19 workplace - The Ohio State University News - May 15th, 2020
- Eating to beat COVID-19, othersInterview - Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Houston medical experts on how to be healthy during and after COVID-19 - CultureMap Houston - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Medicinal Mushrooms that Boost Immunity - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet - May 15th, 2020
- For Your Fitness: When you want to be healthier - LaineyGossip - May 15th, 2020
- Staying safe, healthy amid pandemic during proposed reopenings: Dr Nina Radcliff - Press of Atlantic City - May 10th, 2020
- Is Brad Pitt Vegan? What You Need to Know - LIVEKINDLY - May 10th, 2020
- 9 Myths About Low-Carb Diets - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- Can You Eat Fish Skin, and Is It Healthy? - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- How to build muscle at home: 5 of the most effective muscle building tips for beginners (and pros too) - T3 - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: How effective has HR been so far? | theHRD - The HR Director Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: How it can help you lose weight and even save money - CNET - May 9th, 2020
- Obesity does increase risk of death from Covid-19 but diets arent the answer, chief doc warns - The Sun - May 6th, 2020
- Your front line defence isn't masks and gloves: its health - Gulf Times - May 6th, 2020
- Fare Exchange: A crustless quiche, an easy side dish and a variation on banana bread - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 6th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Dine Out? The Answer Is Extremely Partisan. - The Daily Beast - May 6th, 2020
- Need To Satisfy A Beauty Itch? We've Got 4 Safe Ways To Have Fun Right Now - mindbodygreen.com - May 6th, 2020
- Three Ways to Support a Healthy Food System During the COVID-19 Pandemic - EcoWatch - May 6th, 2020
- McDonald's in Harrow among the first fifteen restaurants to reopen - Harrow Times - May 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Expired Yogurt? Heres What Food Safety Experts Have To Say - Women's Health - May 2nd, 2020
- Let the Sunshine In - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- BARRATTS JOIN FORCES WITH WESSEX HEARTBEAT TO PROMOTE ISOLATION HEALTH TIPS - Island Echo - May 1st, 2020
- Is Corn Gluten-Free? Here's What to Know - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 1st, 2020
- McDonald's confirms when it will begin to re-open branches across the UK - NW Evening Mail - May 1st, 2020
- Millions Of Zimbabweans Are Already Struggling To Put Food On The Table UN Report - ZimEye - Zimbabwe News - May 1st, 2020
- Coping with Corona: Inclined to recline - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - May 1st, 2020
- Irrfan Khan's Son, Babil Shares a Video of the Late Actor Eating Pani Puri and it's Bound to Make You Smile - LatestLY - May 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: Fix it With Food; Superfoods to become Superhealthy by Kavita Devgan - Hindustan Times - April 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Erika Winning Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - April 30th, 2020
- Diabetes and Ramadan: Frequently asked questions - Greater Kashmir - April 30th, 2020
- How to Manage Stress Migraines During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - April 30th, 2020
- Six-Pack Abs: How Long Does It Take, Nutrition, and Exercise - Greatist - April 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Column: And So It Begins - Virginia Connection Newspapers - April 30th, 2020
- What to do if you find a baby bird on the ground - Deseret News - April 23rd, 2020
- Hunters, anglers, even Fish and Wildlife commissioners say restrictions on recreation should be lifted - The Spokesman-Review - April 23rd, 2020
- A real world version of Pokmon Go lets you track orangutans in the jungle - Massive Science - April 23rd, 2020
- Good Health Begins in Your Mouth - Live Trading News - April 23rd, 2020
- Four healthy eating strategies to work on while staying at home - The Globe and Mail - April 20th, 2020
- Opinion: There Is No 'Get Tough' With Coronavirus; We Need A New Slogan - NPR - April 20th, 2020
- The cost of deferred care: We cannot pause our healthcare system - Jordan Times - April 20th, 2020
- Inverness vet: Pets can provide comfort in these worrying times - Inverness Courier - April 20th, 2020
- Cuomo: New York Has Passed COVID-19 Peak, Warns of Second Wave - wpdh.com - April 20th, 2020
- Where does good news fit in the coverage of a pandemic? - Poynter - April 20th, 2020
- The importance of taking part in the census - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - April 18th, 2020
- Your socially isolated brain craves interaction with other people just as much as it craves a meal when you are hungry - Massive Science - April 18th, 2020
- Cauliflower Rice: Calories and Nutrition Facts - Healthline - April 17th, 2020
- Eat REAL's #RainbowTacoChallenge Promotes Food Access, Joyful Cooking with Colorful Foods, and Social Connectivity - PRUnderground - April 17th, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - April 17th, 2020
- If You Want To Lose 20 Pounds Or More, Strength Training Matters More Than You Think - Yahoo Lifestyle - April 16th, 2020
- What is reverse dieting and how to best recover from a restrictive diet - Insider - INSIDER - April 16th, 2020
- Cheetah #Cubdate 2: April 14 - Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute - April 16th, 2020
- Simple science communication helps ease fears and spread good information during the COVID-19 pandemic - Massive Science - April 16th, 2020
- How to Deal With Feeling Bad About Your Body During Isolation - VICE UK - April 12th, 2020
- Novelist Andrew Cotto on Giving Up Meat and Dairy for a Week. - The Beet - April 12th, 2020
- He Eats Meat But Owns Vegan Restaurantsand in the Wake of Coronavirus, He Thinks We All Need to Rethink Our Diets - VegNews - April 12th, 2020