Nature has blessed us with a lot of immunity-boosters and giloy is one of them.
Owing to the pandemic, the demand for giloy also rose potentially and for good reason- from boosting immunity to promoting weight loss and keeping the skin young and healthy, Guduchi giloy, as it is known by its Ayurvedic name is one powerful antidote to ailments and illnesses. Extensively found in India, Giloy root and powder have been extensively used since ages to treat and prevent infections, finds mentions in ancient texts as well. In fact, according to Ayurvedic beliefs, it is one of the three 'Amrit' plants or works as an anti-mortality drug which contains natural healing properties.
With a slightly bitter taste, the stem of the Giloy plant is said to have potent nutritional benefits. The roots and leaves also promise numerous benefits and alleviate health problems. We explain to you some of the best, helpful benefits of consuming the wonderful herb regularly, and the best ways to have it:
1. Works as an excellent fever reliever
If you are looking for a natural way to bring your fever down, look no further than giloy. Both Ayurveda and modern science support the working of Giloy in bringing down the temperature and cooling the body down, particularly in chronic, recurrent cases.
Since Giloy has antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties in it, it helps to boost immunity, act down on inflammation (which results in a fever or spiked up the temperature) and reduces body heat. Ayurveda also suggests that Giloy works to remove the toxic 'Ama' in the body, which is caused by improper digestion or consumption of unsuited foreign particles.
Thus, by keeping toxins away and regulating body temperature, Giloy works to keep inflammation levels under control and keep a person healthy. Drinking Giloy twice a day can help fight fever when you are battling an infection. It can also suit kids who do not like taking medicines.
2. Vitalizer for the heart and the body
People who are disturbed by problems of chronic fatigue and exhaustion are often advised to add supplements like giloy to their diet plan. Giloy is wonderful for your heart and works to revitalize the entire body. It reduces stress levels, fights toxins, alleviates anxiety and its soothing properties can calm the body down.
You will be surprised to learn that frequent consumption of a powerful natural herb like Giloy can also boost mental power, memory and cognitive functions.
3. Rich of antioxidants, anti-cancer propertiesGuduchi Giloy also contains a strong dose of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents which promote healthy living. Small studies have suggested that giloy can act as a good anti-cancer drug.
Animal studies have showcased that administrating part of the giloy root, which contains a natural chemical called Tinospora cordifolia could bring down the size of metastatic potential of melanoma cells.
A pilot study done by researchers based out of AIIMS also found that certain Ayurvedic drugs, such as Giloy could be really helpful in treating cancer and improving health for patients who were administered strong chemotherapy. Isn't this wonderful?
4. Keeps the immune system young and healthy
One of the strongest reasons behind the resurgence of Giloy in the modern day and age are the benefits it carries for ones immunity. Not only does the herb fight infections and toxins naturally, but it also contains immunomodulatory effects which keep the immune system in good shape, boost its power and strengthen metabolism. A strong and healthy immune system acts as our first line of defence and keeps many illnesses and germs at bay. Consumption of giloy and other immunity-boosting herbs should be increased after an age, or for people who are bogged by problems of frail or bad immunity.
Since it vitalizes and recharges the immune system, giloy is also used to treat certain liver, urinary tract and gut infections.
5. Aids digestion
Giloy also works wonderfully to root out problems related to digestion and gut functioning. According to multiple studies and researches conducted worldwide, Guduchi Giloy, with its vitalizing properties can aid digestion, prevent problems such as stomach infection, diarrhoea, acidity, nausea as well as colitis, with regular intake. It also takes care of stress levels, which can also cause gut problems and indigestion.
6. Helps manage blood sugar levels
There is yet another benefit for people suffering from prediabetes, diabetes and related health problems. According to Ayurvedic experts, giloy acts as a hypoglycemic agent and helps treat type 2 diabetes. Giloy juice has shown wonderful results in people with high blood sugar levels.
Regular consumption can also manage and prevent additional problems which may flare up with uncontrolled blood sugar- such as obesity, inflammation and may even slow down ageing.
7. Improves vision
According to traditional beliefs, giloy mixed with water can be applied on eyelids, or consumed regularly to bring benefits for vision and improve eyesight. It's a custom which is still practised in many parts of the country.
Since it is also touted to contain strong anti-ageing properties, it further works to improve your vision and slow down signs of degeneration, fine lines and wrinkles.
The best way to have Giloy
Giloy is widely used and available in many forms- be it the root, powder or capsules or syrups. An individual can choose to have Giloy root in its entirety, have it as a daily supplement or use the powdered version. Do remember to check you use organically sourced versions so as to ensure maximum gains out of your immunity booster.
Giloy can be had daily, safely in a variety of ways. While the most commonly used way is to mix Giloy powder in milk or water and consume it regularly.
Many also prefer having giloy juice on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning.
Making a giloy kadha (concoction), in addition to other spices and herbs is a wonderful way to enrich your diet with goodness.
- The surprising reason eating less meat is linked to a longer life: A smelly toxic gas - The Conversation CA - January 20th, 2021
- 7 Dangerous Side Effects of the Keto Diet, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 20th, 2021
- Shay Mitchell Talks Lockdown Fitness, Diet And Whats Keeping Her Sane Amid The Pandemic - Forbes - January 20th, 2021
- Portland Bar and Restaurant Workers: Tell Us About the State of Winter Business - Eater Portland - January 20th, 2021
- Five Reasons Why One Should Include Eggs in Their Daily Diet - TechnoCodex - January 20th, 2021
- [Full text] Current Perspectives on the Role of Very-Low-Energy Diets in the Treat | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - January 20th, 2021
- New Study Finds Eating And Drinking In Moderation Wont Save You So Why Not Live Every Day Like Your Last? - BroBible - January 20th, 2021
- Anxiety, hypertension is the legacy of 2020 - santaynezvalleystar.com - January 20th, 2021
- Aaron Rodgers Makes Personal Decision That He Candidly Admits Is Insulting to Many Green Bay Packers Fans - Sportscasting - January 15th, 2021
- Enhanced stroke care comes to Northern - Mount Airy News - January 15th, 2021
- London X City Publishes Health Care Article Discussing The Pros And Cons Of Diet Supplements And Diet Shakes - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 12th, 2021
- Brighter days ahead: Celebrate the New Year with a healthy start - The Lawton Constitution - January 12th, 2021
- The diet that got Conor McGregor in the best shape hes ever been in ahead of Dustin Poirier rematch - Pundit Arena - January 12th, 2021
- Vegan Milk & Formula Options For Babies: When Is It Safe To Start? - BabyGaga - January 12th, 2021
- 10 Best Turmeric Supplements to Treat Inflammation, Arthritis, Fatigue and More - Observer - January 12th, 2021
- Peanuts In Winters: Nutritionist Tells How Many Peanuts You Should Eat In A Day - NDTV - January 12th, 2021
- Malachi Flynn: Bench knew they had to 'step up' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 12th, 2021
- Is 2021 the Year to Eat Like a Millennial? - AARP - December 31st, 2020
- Diabetes: Add The Goodness Of Guava To Your Winter Diet To Manage Blood Sugar Levels - NDTV - December 31st, 2020
- Expert reveals why New Years diets could do more harm than good - Extra.ie - December 31st, 2020
- Helping a Heart Transplant Patient Recover from Devastating Complications& a Year in the Hospital - NYU Langone Health - December 31st, 2020
- Keto-friendly fruits: 10 low-carb options and their benefits - Medical News Today - December 23rd, 2020
- How Many Eggs Can You Safely Eat In Day? Expert Reveals The Answer - NDTV - December 23rd, 2020
- 2,000 calorie diet: Is it healthful? - Medical News Today - December 23rd, 2020
- 'Is it really a healthy eating pattern?': Experts mixed on intermittent fasting - CT Insider - December 23rd, 2020
- Vitamin C for diabetes: Include this powerful nutrient in your diet to control blood sugar levels - TheHealthSite - December 23rd, 2020
- Fitness and Nutrition Trends of 2021 - Greatist - December 23rd, 2020
- Babies and Grapes: Age, Safety, Risks, Preparing, and More - Healthline - December 15th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting The facts - SHEmazing - December 15th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Feed your mind a daily diet of positivity and good vibes - Delaware State News - Delaware State News - December 15th, 2020
- Bananas Health Benefits: Know Why Experts Recommend Eating This Fruit Every Day - NDTV - December 15th, 2020
- 'The Last Blockbuster' exclusive sneak peek: Opening the store - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Hairdressers facing 10,000 COVID fine for building nightclub in basement with 100 revellers - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Florida's Keyontae Johnson upgraded to stable condition, breathing on his own - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- Pet Column: Our pets are eating the wrong things - NW Evening Mail - November 1st, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020