Start (Dec. 31): 447 lbs.
Two weeks ago: 433 lbs.
This week: 437 lbs.
Total lost in 2020: 10 lbs.
Shortly after writing these words two weeks ago, I began to struggle: Although I have not yet struggled with any major issues so far this year, I know that eventually life will knock me down again, and Ill have to work hard to get back up.
Yup, I got knocked down, and now Im back up again.
It all started with my new work schedule and a special project that required a lot of long days, extra attention to detail and creativity. Needless to say, it took a lot of energy out of me, and when I dont have the energy, I dont have the will power to behave. Ill start making excuses as to why I cant exercise and justifications as to why its OK to eat that junk food or drink that beer.
When things get busy at work, sometimes the dishes dont get done in a timely manner, and after a long day, the last thing I want to do is wash dishes so I can cook a healthy meal. I end up choosing the quicker option of picking up food, such as frozen pizza, that I can just pop in the oven. The next day, its something else, then something else, and before I know it, Im out of control.
A little extra sleep helps. So does exercise, especially when you are forced to get the exercise.
After the snowstorm last Friday, for example, I had to shovel about 18 inches of snow out of the driveway so we could get the cars out. On Friday night, I moved all the snow from my wifes side of the driveway to my side of the driveway in front, behind and on top of my 2012 Ford Focus. You couldnt see my car at all.
On Saturday, I was busy announcing the Gala Parade in front of the town hall for the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival and was too tired afterward to shovel.
On Sunday, I spent three hours shoveling my car out, taking breaks by sitting on the front steps of my house and listening to the blue jays make all kinds of noise. It had warmed up, too, so it was pleasant. I actually enjoyed it. It was meditative, if that makes any sense. I was at peace while I was out there. It helped me recharge and get back on track.
Even with two weeks of questionable behavior eating junk food, meat and drinking a six pack of beer Im still 10 pounds down for the year.
I have a feeling my struggles will continue in the coming months, as I feel cabin fever setting in, and spring isnt coming anytime soon. Thats usual this time of year. With almost four months of winter weather, its getting me down, and I feel the need more than ever to reach for comfort food.
In April 2014, when I was down 60 pounds on the first round of the Lake Placid Diet, I wrote about cabin fever and how I was self-medicating:
I keep placing sunshine on my daily list of positives when the sun is out. Even then, I continue to find myself in a dark place this time of year.
With the long winter almost over, tax day reminds me of finances, which always give me stress, especially after learning last week that its going to cost $700 to fix my car. I hate money problems.
I also hate this time of year. Ive been suffering from cabin fever for almost three months, and its getting worse. There is no spring break in my world, so theres no hope Ill get better any time soon. My spirits could be lifted if I took a small break, but where would I go? I cant afford to travel. And spring break in the Adirondacks doesnt cure cabin fever, not with fresh snow on the ground this week. So Im stuck with the urge to self-medicate with food.
I go through short periods of depression once in awhile. Thats normal, isnt it? I even find myself enjoying the melancholy. Its a good time to reflect on whats important in life. But the depression is always deeper in March and April.
Before starting this column, I shut the blinds in my office, closed the door and turned off all the lights except for a warm antique desk lamp my mother gave me. Its just me, the light, and the computer, and Im doing what I like best writing. Its therapeutic.
Foods always been my answer to depression, not alcohol, illegal drugs, medication, therapy or religion. I keep rubbing my eyes, searching for answers and not finding any. I just find more questions and the uneasy craving for food, knowing all the time that stuffing my gut wont solve a thing.
Still, it makes me feel better in the short term. Over and over, one day after another, giving myself a high with food, kept me going for years. But its an addiction I want to break, one that the Lake Placid Diet was designed for.
I spent years looking forward to dinner as the highlight of my day, and on weekends, it would be breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would just eat and eat and eat. It was a time to enjoy food behind closed doors, leaving the stresses of everyday life for a short time while I indulged in the guilty pleasures on my plate, feeding myself well past the feeling of being full. I dont drink a lot of alcohol, and I dont smoke or do drugs. Food is my addiction.
I cant promise that when I see you next Ill be out of this funk, but I will promise to try not to self-medicate with food. And Ill still be seeking that sunshine until I finally feel better.
- The OMAD diet for weight loss: Everything you need to know - 7NEWS.com.au - September 28th, 2020
- 8 Foods and Beverages to Avoid with Arthritis - Healthline - September 28th, 2020
- PCOS And Infertility: Here's What You Need To Know - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- Victoria Beckham: Everything I do in a day from my skincare regime to my diet and exercise - Telegraph.co.uk - September 28th, 2020
- Four Women Reveal Their Horror Stories of Teddi Mellencamp's 'All In by Teddi' Diet - The Daily Beast - September 28th, 2020
- Dieting: Weighing the good and bad - The New Times - September 28th, 2020
- The Future of Cancer Treatment - NewsPatrolling - September 28th, 2020
- The breakfast snack to help you live longer and avoid heart disease symptoms - Express - September 28th, 2020
- SRMC doctor offers suggestions for Women's Health Day - The-review - September 25th, 2020
- Keeping COVID at bay - Mountain Xpress - September 25th, 2020
- Can You Boost Your Metabolism? Here's What the Science Says - Discover Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Cracking the code to live your best life: Canadian DNA testing companies, dnaPower and Inagene, partner to unlock true personalized health through... - September 25th, 2020
- Sonam Kapoor Ahuja calls PCOS the bane of my life, shares 3 tips with fans on how to combat it in... - Hindustan Times - September 25th, 2020
- Try this diet combination with side planks, it will reduce belly fat fast - Pledge Times - Pledge Times - September 25th, 2020
- 17 Best Protein Powders of 2020: Whey, Casein, and Plant-Based - Greatist - September 25th, 2020
- Morning vs. Evening: Whats a better time to exercise to lose weight? - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- A man in the US dies of consuming excessive mulethi (licorine). Know how much is too much - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Dr. Anthony Fauci addresses why COVID-19 has severely hurt the... - Hays Free Press - September 25th, 2020
- What is the Dukan diet: the extreme diet Kate Middleton followed to lose weight before her wedding - RSVP Live - September 25th, 2020
- Dietitian reveals how to naturally detox your body - Times of India - September 25th, 2020
- Menopause Diet Tips: Know What To Eat And Avoid To Reduce Symptoms - NDTV Doctor - September 25th, 2020
- The vegetable you should AVOID or risk deadly high blood pressure - are you at risk? - Express - September 25th, 2020
- Immunity Tips: 5 Simple Tips To Strengthen Your Immune Function - NDTV - September 25th, 2020
- Three of the best exercises to lower your risk of a deadly heart attack - Express - September 25th, 2020
- The strange case of the man who died after eating too much licorice - East Idaho News - September 25th, 2020
- Omarion Reveals What He Eats in a Day to Stay Shredded - menshealth.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to live longer: The lifestyle habits that may add at least six years to your life - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Heres how healthy behaviour, diet and exercise in one partner affects healthy habits of other partner... - Hindustan Times - September 23rd, 2020
- Struggling To Lose Weight? This MD Says Knowing Your "Weight Loss Type" Will Help - mindbodygreen.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Luxor Sayville on the CICO Diet and if It Can Work for You - Long Island, NY Patch - Patch.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Belly fat linked to early death, study finds - ABC17News.com - September 23rd, 2020
- How to get rid of visceral fat: Including a certain exercise in your day may burn the fat - Express - September 23rd, 2020
- Dear Dietitian: Examining the connection between syndrome and diabetes - Nueces County Record Star - September 23rd, 2020
- Local Doctors Using Breakthrough Treatments, Pain Management Education to Help Chronic Pain Sufferers Through the Pandemic - Woodlands Online - September 23rd, 2020
- Dr. DeAun Nelson Wants to Change How We Think About Weight and Health Care - Willamette Week - September 23rd, 2020
- How to Create and Maintain Good Habits Even When You Lose Motivation - WTNZ - September 23rd, 2020
- Excellent sources of protein for those on a vegan diet - The Indian Express - September 23rd, 2020
- This Is the Weight-Loss Program That Actually Worked for LIVESTRONG.com Readers Across the Country - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 23rd, 2020
- Reduce the Risk of Developing Dementia - City News Group, Inc - September 23rd, 2020
- Hot baths and saunas: Beneficial for your heart? - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Did you know? 5 surprising things that can trigger a heart attack; steps to keep you fit and healthy - Times Now - September 23rd, 2020
- VIDEO: Three simple steps to better digestive health that you can take today - Press and Journal - September 23rd, 2020
- Why you should not take whey protein at night? - TheHealthSite - September 23rd, 2020
- Study: Twist On Traditional Mediterranean Diet May Be Ideal For Cardiovascular Health - CBS Miami - September 20th, 2020
- Exercise and diet are more important than ever with the coronavirus at large - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - September 20th, 2020
- 7 Heart Healthy Tips for Your 30s to Prevent High Blood Pressure - Healthline - September 20th, 2020
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Teddi Gets Emotional Talking Diet Plan Backlash - Screen Rant - September 20th, 2020
- Dr. Fauci: 3 everyday things you can do to help boost your immune system - CNBC - September 20th, 2020
- Colon and Rectal Cancer Can Be a Reality For Gen-X, Millennials, and Gen-Z - Curetoday.com - September 20th, 2020
- Briana and Ryan Culberson Have Lost 150 Pounds on the Keto Diet - Bravo - September 20th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Be aware of the salty six if you want to lower your reading - Express - September 20th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of having pulses in your daily diet - NEWS HEADS - September 20th, 2020
- Metabolic syndrome, which increases the risk of heart disease, affects one in two seniors here - The Straits Times - September 20th, 2020
- Fitness secrets from Ayurveda - Times of India - September 8th, 2020
- How Halle Berry Is More Fit and Stunning Than Ever: Her Diet, Fitness, Beauty Tips and Tricks! - KVUE.com - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer - the very best exercise to add years onto your lifespan - Express - September 8th, 2020
- A doctor's open apology to those fighting overweight and obesity - The Wilton Bulletin - September 8th, 2020
- Plant-based diets shine when looking at the gut microbiome - Contemporary Pediatrics - September 8th, 2020
- The Long Con: Martin Wachter on how he got in shape through diet and exercise - CalvinAyre.com - September 8th, 2020
- Why the first three weeks of a diet are crucial, according to new study - 9Coach - September 8th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for September 09 - Mumbai Mirror - September 8th, 2020
- The secret to Randy Arozarenas rise with Rays? Chicken and rice - Tampa Bay Times - September 8th, 2020
- The Worst Ab Workout Mistakes and How to Fix Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Heart attack prevention: The best lifestyle to reduce your risk of a heart attack - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Surviving COVID-19 Together - Pain News Network - September 8th, 2020
- Best supplements for high blood pressure - the 99p capsules to avoid deadly hypertension - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman's death is tragic. Here's what you need to know about colon cancer. - Big Think - September 8th, 2020
- Here are five foods that can help regulate blood sugar or prevent type 2 diabetes - Times Now - September 8th, 2020
- Lose weight with the worlds top 10 diets from keto to Slimming World - The Sun - September 8th, 2020
- Lifestyle choices can reduce the risk of chronic kidney disease - Tennis World USA - September 8th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week 2020: 8 simple tips to stay healthy and fit - The Indian Express - September 8th, 2020
- How to take the best poop, according to science - Business Insider - Business Insider - September 8th, 2020
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Followed LeBrons Diet and Workout for a Day - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 6th, 2020
- What is Ayurveda? - Science Times - September 6th, 2020
- Tony Gonzalez Thinks Sleep Is the Fountain of Youth - GQ - September 6th, 2020
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She Quit Her Vegan Diet For Health Reasons, Was 'Running On Empty' - Women's Health - September 6th, 2020
- 'I kept asking, they said I was too young' | The risks of colon cancer - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - September 6th, 2020
- Cant Stick To A Healthy Diet For Long? Try These Easy Ways For Better Results This Time - MensXP.com - September 6th, 2020
- Online event on importance of balanced diet - The Tribune India - September 6th, 2020
- Meet slimmer Vicki who lost more than 3st after changing her diet and taking up Thai boxing - Stoke-on-Trent Live - September 6th, 2020