Coster-Waldau: I tried to work out how the prisoners did, so a lot of pullups. The worst move was the Navy SEAL burpee. Its a burpee and then its three pushups where every pushup you take the knee up to one elbow, and then you go back up. I did 50 once when I was in really good shape, and it almost killed me because thats 50 burpees and 150 pushups in one go. Its a lot. So, I tried to do all those things, and then, on top of that, a lot of weights because I had to bulk up. And a lot of eating. A lot of eating.
So you didnt really go for a prison workout.
The things we did in the movie would be like the Navy SEALS burpee. That was one we used a lot. The pullupswe did a lot of pullups. Regular pushups. We did a ton of basic bodyweight stuff. But then on top of that, in the gym I would try to bulk up so Id do a lot of deadlifting, a lot of squatting, a lot of those things. I wouldnt squat with anyone on top of me. I would just do that with weights.
Was that really you squatting Ripper [Keith Jardines character in Shot Caller]?
Yeah, that was me. Hes a big guy. I tried to re-do it the other day on The Late Late Show [with James Corden] with Lin-Manuel [Miranda]. It felt like a good idea at the time and then I was like, Holy shit, he was heavier than I thought." I did do a very deep squat though. I went a little too deep, I think. [Laughs] Well, I did it the right way, but yeah.
How would you compare your workouts for preparing to play Money to playing Jaime Lannister?
The difference is that I was bulking up for Money. So I was trying to put on muscle, and Jaime doesnt have a specific workout; its just my every day, just trying to stay fit workout. For Money, I was trying to get bigger more than anything, and I have no interest in that on a regular basis. And I didnt do much cardio. Usually, I spend a lot of time on the bikeI like to mountain bike.
Sword Fighting with 'Jaime Lannister':
People assume that if youre rich and famous that its easier to work out and stay fit. Would you agree with that? Disagree?
I dont think that should change anything. Whats the idea?
You would be able to afford personal trainers, better equipment, things like that.
Ah. I do remember once I did an article about mountain biking and they had a picture of me and a bike, and the bike wasnt mine. It was a beautiful, expensive bike, and then someone was reading and said, Yeah, that's typical. So easy for you rich guys to go mountain biking. I cant afford a bike like that. And Im like, What the fuck? Just get a bicycle. My actual bike at the time was not as expensive. Working out is not about whether the weights are expensive or the bike is expensiveits about doing it. Its a complete misconception. I dont have a personal trainer. I work out with a good buddy, and we go to a CrossFit gym close to where I live, and then you do the work. There is no shortcut.
Youre into CrossFit?
Did you watch the 2017 Games?
No, but I saw the 2016 games, and I loved it. I love CrossFit, but its just fear now that suddenly the first big doping scandal is going to hit. You just know its going to come because its just happening too fast. Theyre getting too big. The jumps are so extreme now. Now it [doping] is clearly a part of CrossFit, and it shouldnt be, I think. Because everyone works so hard. Theyre all at the very top. I mean, I dont know. I love CrossFit. I love it as a sport. I love to workout. What I love more than anything about it is that unlike going to a regular gym, I love the atmosphere in the CrossFit gyms, and Ive been going to CrossFit gyms in Denmark, of course, in the US, and Ive been to a couple in Spain when doing Game of Thrones, and what I like about it is there is a sense of comradery. Its not so vain. Everyones vain, but it hasnt got that whole wall of mirrors when you walk in as if you have to stand there just eye-masturbating, or whatever you call it [Laughs]. But you know what I mean? I like that atmosphere of having fun together instead of it just being about me and my pecs. And also I finally can do a muscle-up in the rings and its taken me years to get to that so now I am just fine. Im just so happy.
Spoiler alert, but in Shot Caller theres this really heart wrenching scene where you come face to face with your son again after being gone so long.
Yes, thats one of the key scenes in the movie.
That just reminded me of last weeks episode of Game of Thrones when youre blindsided by Tyrion coming out of the blue. You have this deep love for this long-lost family member, but you cant express that because of the circumstances. Is there anything you drew from your own life experience for that?
I think everything is drawn from your own life experiences to a certain point. I havent had anything similar. That scene in Shot Caller with his son is crucial because its the moment because Money is so closed up emotionally. Hes made himself so hard, and then when he sees his son, you see the cracks. With Jaime and Tyrion, he cracks up, but he has to stay angry because this is the guy who killed his father, but hes also the guy whos the main advisor to the woman who just murdered thousands and thousands of their soldiers, and it was the biggest threat to Kings Landing, so even if he loves his brother, its a situation where he cant afford to entertain those feelings.
When someone dies on Game of Thrones, how do you guys send off the actor who played him or her?
That's it? No send-off dinner?
There have been some dinners, but when you follow a show and you love the characters and they die, it becomes a big deal because youve invested in these people. When you work on something, and especially as an actor, and especially when youve done this for as long as Diana [Rigg] has, thats just the nature of what you do. You do a job and then it ends and then you do another job. Yeah, it can be sad if youve had a great relationship, but youll meet again later on. Theres not much emotional drama, to be honest.
Are your friends always pestering you for spoilers?
No. You always stress, Do you really want to know, and they usually go, No, no. This whole leak thing is just boring. I think 99.9 percent of people dont want to know. They just want to wait and watch the show when it comes out and then theres that .1 percent thatll check it out but a lot of them will also watch it when it comes out.
Are you guys filming again? Because I know youre doing Brian De Palmas new film Domino.
Im going to finish the Brian De Palma project. Weve got another few days next week, and then in October its back to Thrones.
Anything else you want our Mens Health readers to know?
- 35 Best Podcasts In Health & Fitness - Men's Health - February 26th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Men Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training Workouts - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- PA Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - Mash Viral - February 24th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Guys Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 22nd, 2020
- P.A. Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - paNOW - February 22nd, 2020
- The Bodyweight Workout That Will Send Your Metabolism Soaring - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Mens health: Overactive bladder and its burdensome complications among ageing Malaysians - Malay Mail - February 20th, 2020
- This Full-Body, Gym-Free Workout Will Add Muscle, Burn Fat and Build Mental Grit - Men's health UK - February 6th, 2020
- Joey Sasso of Netflix's The Circle Talks Keto & More in New Interview - menshealth.com - February 1st, 2020
- Henry Cavill Has Finally Addressed Those James Bond Rumours - Men's health UK - February 1st, 2020
- 5 Reasons to Buy the March Issue of Men's Health - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- Vionic Morris Active Sneaker - MH Certified Review - Men's Health - January 30th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Explains How He Built Muscle and Burned Fat Simultaneously for 'The Witcher' - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- This Full-Body Workout Builds Lean Muscle Fast and Only Needs One Piece of Equipment - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- I worry for my teenage boys the beauty standards for young men are out of control - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- Gardner Minshew named Snickers 'Hungriest Player of the Year' - Jaguars Wire - January 30th, 2020
- How Getting Shredded Helped This Trans Man Find His Confidence - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Man Gained Almost 20 Pounds of Muscle After Plateauing for Years - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Couple Eliminated Nearly $100K of Debt in a Single Year - Men's Health - January 27th, 2020
- Try Using Kneeling Biceps Curls in Workouts to Grow Your Arms - menshealth.com - January 24th, 2020
- This 200-Rep Dumbbell Workout Spikes Your Fat-Burn and Builds Muscle - Men's health UK - January 24th, 2020
- 7 Intermittent Fasting Benefits That Aren't Weight Loss - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- How Stan Wawrinka Stays At The Top Of His Game - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- 5 Conventional Lifting Rules to Break to Build More Muscle - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2020
- Workout Finishers: 4 Short, Sharp Workout Finishers to Add To Try - Men's health UK - January 10th, 2020
- Getting the Bachelor's First Impression Rose Isn't That Important - menshealth.com - January 10th, 2020
- The Bodyweight Home Workout That Crushes Calories - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Muscle Dysmorphia And How To Overcome it - Men's Health - January 9th, 2020
- A Letter From The Editor: How Football Can Change Hearts And Minds - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- The Ultimate Men's Pants Style Guide - Types of Trousers for Men - Men's Health - January 4th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 80 Pounds With a Little Help and a Fitness Tracker - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Male health: The serious challenges with which boys and young men contend - Open Access Government - January 4th, 2020
- Rich Brian on Diplo, Yoga, and Being a 'Meme Rapper' - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- 'Snowglobing' Is the Newest Confusing Holiday Dating Trend - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- Smoking Cannabis Possibly Increases ED Risk - Renal and Urology News - December 21st, 2019
- Men's Health: The modern masculinity bible that goes beyond the pages - Mediaweek - December 18th, 2019
- These Miansai x Fila Targa Sneakers are the Only White Kicks You Need to Own - Men's Health - December 13th, 2019
- Timbaland Explains His Weight Loss and Music - menshealth.com - December 13th, 2019
- Sparrow Caregivers get hairy to win Who-Grew-It-Best contest for men's health awareness - WSYM-TV - December 13th, 2019
- Men hate going to the doctor and that could lead to bigger health problems - WRAL.com - December 10th, 2019
- Andrew Luck and Jason Kander Show How the Strength Myth Crumbles - menshealth.com - December 8th, 2019
- Why James Smith Is The "Gordon Ramsay Of The Fitness World" - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Sports clubs take part in Movember in aid of mens' health - ForgeToday - December 3rd, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 29th, 2019
- Men's Health Therapeutics Market to Receive Overwhelming Hike in Revenues by 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 29th, 2019
- 12 of the Best Men's Joggers That You Can Wear (Almost) Anywhere - Men's health UK - November 28th, 2019
- Movember: a month dedicated to men's health - Brock Press - November 28th, 2019
- Fitness corner: In November, my thoughts turn to men's health - My Edmonds News - November 22nd, 2019
- Fit To Me T-Shirts Designed for Trans Men Were Created to Crush Body Insecurities - Men's Health - November 22nd, 2019
- Henry Cavill Shows Off 'The Witcher' Poster and Men's Health Images - Cosmic Book News - November 22nd, 2019
- Mens health: Secrets to healthy ageing and longevity for Malaysians - Malay Mail - November 22nd, 2019
- Loowit to host pinball tournament for a good cause - The Columbian - November 22nd, 2019
- Movember and No Shave November Bring Awareness on Mens Health - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - November 20th, 2019
- OPINION: Movember is about men's health, not your beard - The Daily Evergreen - November 20th, 2019
- Movember Monday: Mens heart health, minority health - WOODTV.com - November 20th, 2019
- New Jersey Mens Health | RWJBarnabas Health - March 12th, 2019
- Mens Health Magazine on the App Store - itunes.apple.com - November 18th, 2018
- Mens Health Month: Never too busy to focus on wellness ... - June 4th, 2018
- Common Foot Problems for Diabetic People - Men's Health Cures - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health Month Calendar - Week 1 - SoClean - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health | womenshealth.gov - March 26th, 2018
- Men's Fitness Books - Men's Health Books - Men's Health - November 6th, 2017
- Here's How You Can Get as Ripped as Chris Hemsworth, According to His Trainer - Men's Health - September 6th, 2017
- How High Doses Of Ibuprofen Can Mess With Muscle Growth ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- How Apple Engineered Its Watch to Push You to Perform at Your ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- 50% Of Guys Couldn't Find the Vagina On This Diagram - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- First-Time Dads Are Getting OlderBut Are There Risks? - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Here's How Oral Sex Can Give You Cancer - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Try This Workout Finisher From 2016 Ultimate Men's Health Guy Jedidiah Ballard - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- How Long Can Sperm Live Outside The Body? This Viral Tweet Has Everyone Wondering - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Amazon Just Made Your Erections 43% Cheaper - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- Can You Do This Explosive Lunge Variation? - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- How to Make a Woman Orgasm | Men's Health - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Men's Health Unveils Fresh Look and New Direction - Rodale Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Hate Cardio? Make This Small Tweak to Your Routine - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Our Ultimate Guy Search Finalists Are the #MondayMotivation You Didn't Know You Needed - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Mens Health Network - August 20th, 2017
- Meet the Woman Who Is Always on the Verge of an Orgasm - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- People Who Have Cheated Once Are More Likely to Cheat Again, Says New Study - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- 34% Of Men Are Still Making This Big Mistake In Bed - Men's Health - August 12th, 2017