A HEALTHY diet is about far more than losing weight, and as coronavirus forces millions of people to lock themselves away from the world, it could prove invaluable for our mental health too.
While good nutrition has long been linked to a healthier mindset, experts have now revealed the simple act of cooking can make us happier too - offering a much-needed distraction and group activity inside.
"Cooking can benefit our mental health because it is a mindful activity - right the way from meal prep to making the actual dish," says Dr Elena Touroni, a consultant psychologist and co-founder of The Chelsea Psychology Clinic.
"Provided were not on autopilot, when were cooking were free from distraction and fully engaged in what were doing."
Dr Clare Bailey, wife of TV favourite Dr Michael Mosleys, tells Sun Online that a healthy diet can dramatically reduce stress levels and even help with sleeplessness.
"The link lies in our gut. Eighty per cent of our serotonin - our happy hormone - is produced in the gut, so the healthier the gut the more emotionally resilient we are," she explains.
Essentially she says the more relaxed and happy you're feeling, the more likely you are to enjoy a deep sleep - and in turn improve your bodys ability to fight infection.
Mental health charities have reported a surge in calls to their helplines and many people are feeling panicked by the financial insecurity, loneliness and uncertainty brought on by coronavirus and lockdown.
That's why The Sun's You're Not Alone campaign has launched a series to raise awareness of the pandemic's effect on mental wellbeing.
"Baking is a great activity to keep the kids busy and put smiles on their faces - and it's good therapy for stressed-out grown-ups, too," says baker Sarah Rainey.
Here, chefs share their recipes and tips for cheap and easy meals - from one pot wonders to three-ingredient cakes:
Preheat the oven to 200C (fan 180C) and grease and line a standard 2lb loaf tin with a little butter and greaseproof paper.
Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, and add the sugar followed by the beer. Pour the beer in gradually so it doesnt froth too much.
Mix everything together using a wooden spoon and transfer the dough to the tin.
Dust the top with a little flour before putting it in the oven. Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes. Youll know its done when the crust on top turns golden (and you can stick a skewer down the centre of the loaf to check the inside is cooked through).
Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool.
If you cant get your hands on a dark beer, pale ale will do just fine or you could even use a can of low-sugar lemonade for a slightly sweet-slightly salted loaf that goes well with cheese.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat. Once warm, add the garlic, fry until starting to turn golden, then add the spices and cook for a further 30 seconds.
Tip in the plum tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar and cannellini beans. Season, bring to the boil, then simmer on a medium-high heat for 1520 minutes until slightly thickened.
Toast your bread and serve piled high with the beans, topped with a fried egg, if you like.
(Makes 1 portion - 4 lettuce tacos)
Coat the chicken thigh in a mixture of paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Pan-fry the chicken over a low-medium heat, skin-side down first, for 1012 minutes on each side until cooked through and caramelised on the outside.
Remove from the heat and set the chicken to one side.
Add the couscous to the pan (off the heat), along with the water, and stir for a few seconds to incorporate all the pan juices, then leave the couscous to rest for a few minutes and plump up.
Slice the chicken into thin strips, then assemble your tacos by spooning some of the peri peri-infused couscous onto each lettuce leaf, placing some chicken strips on top, then drizzling with the yogurt and sprinkling over some cracked black pepper.
Super Easy One Pound Meals by Miguel Barclays (8.95, Headline).
Nutritional tips for a good gut
There's no set rule when it comes to choosing what you eat each day, but Dr Bailey has shared a few simple diet tips to boost gut health and your ability to cope with stress:
Preheat your oven to 180C/gas mark 6.
On a large baking tray, toss together the squash, chilli flakes, fennel and cumin seeds, cinnamon, garlic and oil, then season and roast for 20 minutes, or until the squash is starting to turn golden and soft but still holding its shape.
Toss the chickpeas through and roast in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil the pasta in salted water according to pack instructions or until tender, reserve a mug of the cooking water, then drain.
Using a potato masher, roughly crush about half the butternut squash and chickpea mixture. Add the pasta, yogurt, parsley and enough of the reserved cooking water to the tray to coat the pasta in the sauce. Adjust the seasoning, top with the breadcrumb mixture and serve.
Take One Tin by Lola Milne (Kyle Books, 14.99). Photography by Lizzie Mayson.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: (Pre-cook 10 minutes) Auto-low 8 hours, or high 4 hours
Preheat the slow cooker, if required.
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat, add the onion, and cook for 34 minutes until soft.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir through the garlic and celery and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the celery is soft.
Stir in the carrots, tarragon, and rosemary and cook for a minute before transferring everything to the slow cooker. Stir in the pured tomatoes and stock and cook on auto/low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Add the potatoes for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
When the potatoes are soft, add the beans and cook for 10 minutes, or until they are cooked but retain a bite.
Taste and season, remove the rosemary, and ladle into warmed large shallow bowls. Sprinkle over the Parmesan, if using, and serve with some crusty French bread.
The Slow Cook Book by Heather Whinney (DK, 16.99)
Preheat the oven to 190C/Fan 170C. Grease 4 small ramekins with butter or flavourless oil.
Mix one tablespoon of icing sugar into the chocolate spread. Separate the eggs and whisk the yolks into the chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks. Slowly fold the whites into the chocolate mixture, a little at a time, taking care not to beat out the air.
Divide between the ramekins, filling each 2/3 full. Wipe excess batter off the rims so they rise. Bake on a tray in the centre of the oven, for 15-18 minutes until fluffy and risen. Dust the remaining icing sugar over the top and serve immediately topped, if you like, with ice cream or whipped cream.
Six Minute Showstoppers by Sarah Rainey is out on May 14th. Her first book, Three Ingredient Baking, (Michael Joseph, 12.99) is available now.
You're Not Alone
EVERY 90 minutes in the UK a life is lost to suicide.
It doesn't discriminate, touching the lives of people in every corner of society - from the homeless and unemployed to builders and doctors, reality stars and footballers.
It's the biggest killer of people under the age of 35, more deadly than cancer and car crashes.
And men are three times more likely to take their own life than women.
Yet it's rarely spoken of, a taboo that threatens to continue its deadly rampage unless we all stop and take notice, now.
That is whyThe Sun launched the You're Not Alone campaign.
The aim is that by sharing practical advice, raising awareness and breaking down the barriers people face when talking about their mental health, we can all do our bit to help save lives.
Let's all vow to ask for help when we need it, and listen out for others...You're Not Alone.
If you, or anyone you know, needs help dealing with mental health problems, the following organisations provide support:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Bakine time: 25 minutes
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas 6.
Blitz the biscuits in a food processor to fine crumbs. Remove 2 tablespoons of the crumbs and set aside. Add the melted butter to the crumbs in the food processor and blitz for a few seconds more until combined.
Transfer the buttery biscuit mixture to the prepared tin and use the back of a spoon to press it down firmly and evenly all the way to the edges of the tin to give an even base.
Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Using a balloon whisk, whisk in the condensed milk until fully incorporated. Then, slowly whisk in the lemon juice until combined. Pour the mixture on top of the biscuit base.
Place the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl and whisk with an electric hand whisk to stiff peaks.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS - STAY IN THE KNOW
Don't miss the latest news and figures - and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020