Q) I HAVE a budgie whose feathers are falling off. He is two years old and called Bertie. He looks a right state.
There are no feathers on his wings any more. He is happy enough and tweets, eats and comes out of his cage to play.
We cant afford to take him to the vet. Should we be worried?
Samantha Taylor, Darlington
Sean says: Its not normal so I would be worried about why its happening. Unfortunately there are many possible reasons. Diet can be a factor, especially if you only feed a budgie millet seed mix and nothing else.Fresh food is also important for budgies.
Lettuce, cucumber, greens, even weeds from the garden like chickweed, groundsel and dandelion are favourites make sure they havent been sprayed though.
HE is on a mission to help our pets . . . and is here to answer YOUR questions. Sean, who is the head vet at tailored pet food firm tails.com, has helped with owners queries for ten years.
He says: If your pet is acting funny or is under the weather, or you want to know about nutrition or exercise, just ask. I can help keep pets happy and healthy.
Q) I WORKED as a scaffolder and love taking my dog Poppy to work with me. But during recent weeks she has started to get scared of heights.
She used to love running around with me. I have tried coaxing her back up with me but she wont do it. She is a terrier and is five. Now she sits in the van all day, which is a bit sad for her. Can you give me advice?
Paul Scott, Newcastle
Sean says: Did something happen to frighten her recently? I have to be honest and say Im not sure that being up on scaffolding is the safest place for a little dog that might get in the way underfoot. Its probably not too safe for your workmates either.
Dogs are not the best judges of height. Is there an area in the canteen or office where she could chill out while youre working? The van isnt a great option as it can easily overheat with a little bit of sunshine, even on what we would consider a fairly cool day.
Star of the week
MEET brave Pomeranian Bonna, who has bounced back to life after a horrific attack by another dog that left her with a crooked spine.
She was six when she was picked up by the skin on her back and swung around. It left her barely able to walk due to scar tissue around her spine.
Then owner Hara Kyriakou, a dog walker from Nottingham, heard about McTimoney therapy, a form of chiropractic treatment, and Bonna was treated by Emma Punt, of the McTimoney Animal Association.
Hara said: Its lovely to see her running happily around and back to the happy-go-lucky dog she used to be.
Q) CAN goldfish mate? I have one that is three and she is getting fatter and fatter since lockdown.
We bought another goldfish just before isolation and we are worried the pair have got it on! Is that possible? And if so, what on earth do we do?
Vicky Price, Croydon
Sean says: Oh Vicky, is it time we had the birds and the bees chat? Where do you think baby goldfish come from? There is nothing you can do now so just wait and see what happens. But provide some pondweed or plants for her to lay her eggs on.
And if you do notice eggs, remove the plants they are attached to to another tank as the adults may eat them. There are other problems that can cause fish to bloat besides pregnancy, though. Most arise from overfeeding and poor water quality, so make sure you have a filter and the water quality is perfect. Your local fish shop can test the water for you.
Q) MY Shih Tzu is five and I do everything for her I walk her, feed her, look after her. But when my grandkids, who are 26 and 24, come round she makes a huge fuss of them with kisses and cuddles.
But she wont even let me pick her up! What am I doing wrong?
Clifford McLeod, Edinburgh
Sean says: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. She gets to chill with you every day. And, lets face it, if dog years are to be believed, shes in her early thirties.
A girl needs to let her hair down with folk her own age from time to time. In reality, shes just super-excited to see your grandchildren, and they probably interact with her in a different way so she gets distracted. Youre less interesting to her at those times. I wouldnt take it personally.
STAY-CAT-IONS are the latest trend for family holidays with cat owners taking their feline friends on holiday with them, Paws and Claws can reveal.
Dog-friendly getaways have grown in popularity over the last few years and now more hotels are creating experiences for kitties. Rose Sellars took her cat Dolly to the Summer Lodge Country House hotel in Evershot, Dorset, this summer.
Rose, 29, a graphic designer from Nottingham, told Paws and Claws: Dolly loves a change of scenery so we were so pleased when we found a cat-friendly hotel.
BELATED WISHESHow to claim a free treat if you had a birthday in lockdown
MEAL DEALGroupon Eat Out to Help Out discount has 50% off local restaurants and Cafe Rouge
LESS OF A CHOREAldi is bringing back its sell-out heated clothes airer next weekend
DISH UPIceland to dish out free bags of frozen veg to families on Universal Credit
STOCKING FILLERSBoots brings back 3for2 Christmas gifts after shaking up the scheme
JOB WATCHHaribo to stop making Maoams in the UK sparking fears that 200 jobs will be lost
She had her own special bed and could choose from a cat-friendly menu, and we took along her toys. Dolly was made so welcome.
Cat litter brand Natusan rounded up five cat-friendly locations including The Roast Ox in Painscastle, Powys, The Merry Harriers in Godalming, Surrey, The Jack Russell Inn in Andover, Hants, Tiggers Cottage in Bray, Berks and the Summer Lodge Country House.
A Natusan spokesperson said: Cats have been the underdog, so its good to see this is changing.
WIN: a Catipilla scratcher
SAY goodbye to claw marks in your home. We have five Catipilla scratchers to give away, worth up to 70.
They let your cat scratch safely and keep claws in pristine condition. See catipilla.com.
For a chance to win, email SCRATCHER to firstname.lastname@example.org and state what size you would like. Options are 50cm, 60cm, 75cm, 130cm or 35cm for kittens. Terms and conditions apply. Closes September 20.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAILexclusive@the-sun.co.uk
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Want to Lose Weight Running? Experts Explain How to Achieve Your Goals Faster (and Safely) - Yahoo! Voices - September 22nd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- 'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020
- Severe Weather Warning Issued For Melbourne On Wednesday - KIIS1011 - September 1st, 2020