Thanks to spending much more time hunkered down at home and cutting down on shopping excursions, this has been the year of stocking up and that means using every square inch of fridge space. Thats especially true in the age of COVID-19 when youre trying to support your immune system by eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. But what about your freezer capacity?
Making the most of that Deepfreeze can be a great way to keep your shopping trips limited, help with saving money, and give you nutritious, versatile options. As long as youre freezing the right way, that is.
RELATED: Fresh vs. Frozen Food: Which Is Better for You?
Here's a quick cheat sheet on what to keep in mind.
After freezing and thawing, some foods are exactly the same as theyd been fresh. For example, meats and fish return to their fresh state, as well as hard cheeses and sliced bread, according to East Lansingbased Felicia Wu, PhD, a professor in food safety, toxicology, and risk assessment at Michigan State University.
But softer cheeses often change texture, she says, such as goat cheese, Brie, or Camembert. Many fruits and vegetables also tend to undergo a texture transformation that makes them great for smoothies, soups, and casseroles but not as ideal for eating fresh.
A common misconception is that any bacteria in leftovers will be killed by freezing. Unfortunately, thats not the case, Wu says.
"Many foodborne microbes can withstand freezing and pose a problem later when the food is thawed, especially if its not subsequently cooked sufficiently," says Wu. "This is why, for example, not every fish can become sushi fish."
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration also points out that its unsafe to let food thaw at room temperature because bacteria can multiply rapidly and create toxins that will survive the cooking process even if the food is cooked to temperatures that kill the bacteria themselves.
RELATED: From Ground Meat to Sprouts, the Foods Most Likely to Be Contaminated
This isnt a food-safety tip, but your electricity bill will look better, says Wu. Using as much freezer space as possible increases your efficiency, she says it takes more energy to keep the space at below-freezing temperatures with just a few items in there.
Usually, plastic zip-top bags designed for freezing may cost more than regular plastic bags, but its worth the investment because "freezer bags" are not a gimmick, explains Pendleton, South Carolinabased Kimberly Baker, PhD, RD, food systems and safety program director at Clemson University.
"When packaging thats not designed for the freezer is used, the food will lose quality more quickly," she says. Thats because more air can get into the package, which can lead to freezer burn.
Previous research notes that freezer burn is a condition where exposure to air within the freezer causes moisture loss, and that subsequent dehydration can lead to food thats dry; has ice crystals on it; and shows changes in flavor, color, and texture after thawing. This doesnt affect safety, Baker says, but it may make the food unappealing in terms of flavor and texture.
RELATED: 20 Popular Food and Nutrition Myths You Shouldnt Believe
Once you put items in the freezer, their "sell by" date can act as a helpful guide for when you bought it, but its also a good idea to get into the habit of using a label system freezer tape is very handy and rotating older items to the front to be used sooner.
That way, you can freeze up to the appropriate time frame for each food type, says Janilyn Hutchings, certified food safety professional and food scientist at StateFoodSafety, an Orem, Utahbased food safety certification and training program for the hospitality industry. Here are some general guidelines:
The reason ground meats have a shorter time frame than the other types of foods listed above is they stand a relatively higher chance of bacteria exposure due to the way theyre processed and handled, says Cambridge, Massachusettsbased William Li, MD, cancer expert and author of Eat to Beat Disease. Also, even if youre thawing within the recommended time frame, he suggests smelling any meat once its thawed, because if the aroma is off, thats a sign its no longer safe to eat. Usually the scent is pungent and unpleasant, and may smell like ammonia due to the breakdown in proteins and fats, adds Wu.
RELATED: Do You Really Need to Eat Less Meat?
Seafood is highly perishable, which is why its great to have some in the freezer rather than hanging around for too long in the fridge, but how its handled and packaged can make a big difference, says Dr. Li.
"Commercially caught fish and shellfish, flash frozen on the boat at sea, are usually vacuum-sealed and safe to keep for six months, although the flavor may go stale if you keep it that long," he says.
Even mild thawing can shorten a fishs freshness, he adds, so its important to keep frozen seafood completely frozen. That means if youre running other errands after going to the grocery store, it may be worth bringing a cooler with ice packs to ensure your frozen fish stays at the right temperature.
If youre buying fresh fish, use freezer-designed packaging like freezer bags or freezer paper. You may also want to consider investing in a vacuum sealer for fish and other foods.
Thawing food properly is critical to preventing foodborne bacteria from multiplying to dangerous levels, says Hutchings. Dont plan on thawing any kind of food at room temperature, she advises, even seemingly "safer" options like leftovers or cooked meats. Instead, she offers these four methods:
When it comes to refreezing foods that have previously been frozen and then thawed, a good rule of thumb is to avoid it when you can, because the moisture thats lost through the initial thawing process will affect food quality, says Hutchings. That said, the USDA recommends these steps:
With safety procedures and good habits in place, you can make the most of your freezer as a go-to place for healthy foods. With a well-stocked space, you may even be able to stretch out the time between shopping rounds.
RELATED: 10 Things You Wanted to Know About Salmonella (but Were Too Afraid to Ask)
See the rest here:
Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- Pet Column: Our pets are eating the wrong things - NW Evening Mail - November 1st, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020