The most common New Years resolution is to exercise more. Not surprisingly, losing weight and eating a healthier diet ranked third and further, respectively. (Quitting smoking was No. 2, in case youre curious.)
Hitting the gym to drop weight and build muscle is a great habit to build, but dont forget about the regular work needed to build other muscles.Specifically, your innovation muscles.
Innovation mindsets, skills and behaviors can be learned, but if you dont continuously use them, like muscles, they can weaken and atrophy. Thats why its important to create opportunities to flex them.
One of the tools I use with clients who are committed to building innovation as a capability, rather than scheduling it as an event, is QMWD: the quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily practices required to build and sustain innovation as a habit.
Leave the office and talk to at least three of your customers. Its tempting to rely on survey results, research reports and listening in on customer service calls as a means to understand what your customers truly think and feel. But theres incredible (and unintended) bias in those results.
Schedule a day each quarter to get out of the office and meet your customers. Ask them what they like and what they dont. More importantly, watch them use your products, and share what you hear and see with your colleagues.
Share a mistake you made with your team and what you learned from it. Silicon Valley mantras like Fail fast and fail often make for great office dcor, but lets be honest: No one likes to fail, and very few companies reward it.
Instead of repeating these slogans, reframe them as Learn fast and learn often, and model the behavior by sharing what you learned from things you did that didnt go as expected. Youll build a culture of psychological safety, make smart risks acceptable and increase your teams resilience all things required to innovate in a sustainable, repeatable and predictable manner.
Do one thing just for the fun of it. In the research that fed into their book, The Innovators DNA, professors Jeff Dyer, Hal Gregersen and Clayton Christensen found that the most common characteristic among the great innovators of our time was their ability to associate, to make surprising connections across areas of knowledge, industries, even geographies. Importantly, their associative thinking skills were fed by one or more discovery skills: questioning (asking why, why not and what if), observing, experimenting and networking.
Fuel your associative thinking ability by doing something unrelated to your job or other obligations. Do something simply because it interests you. You might be surprised where it takes you. After all, Steve Jobs studied calligraphy, meditation and car design and used all of those experiences in his day job.
Make one small change for one day.Innovation requires change, and if youre an innovator, thats the exciting part. But most people struggle with change, a fact that can be frustrating for change agents.
In order to lead people through change, you need to empathize with them and their struggles, which is why you need to create regular moments of change in your work and life. One day each week, make a conscious change. Sit on the other side of the conference room table. Take a different route to the bathroom. Use a black pen instead of a blue one. Even small changes like this can be a bit annoying, and theyll remind you that change isnt always the fun adventure you think it is.
Ask, How can we do this better? Innovation is something different that creates value. This is good news because it means that all it takes to be an innovator is to do something different and create value. The easiest way to do that is to find opportunities for improvement.
The next time youre frustrated with or confused by a process, ask, How can we do this better? Better can mean simpler, faster, cheaper or even in a way that is more enjoyable, but whatever it means, the answer will point the way to creating value for you, your team and maybe even your company.
Block time on your calendar for these quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily habits. After all, the best reflection of your priorities is what's in your calendar. And, if you stick with this, youll be among thosewho achieve their New Years goals.
The rest is here:
Five Ways To Build Your Innovation Muscles In The New Year - Forbes
- Losing weight can help you lose the pain, too - Harvard Health - January 25th, 2020
- The Mediterranean diet is the healthiest way to lose weight long-term - Metro.co.uk - January 25th, 2020
- Economist Writer Says Counting Calories To Lose Weight Is 'Misleading' - Here And Now - January 25th, 2020
- PERRY BUCHANAN: How to make your New Year's resolutions stick this time - The Albany Herald - January 25th, 2020
- Don't Give In: Use Noom to Keep Your New Year's Resolution to Lose Weight - Men's Journal - January 25th, 2020
- How to Permanently Lose Weight the Healthy Way - Tulsa World - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This guy lost 24 kilos in just 6 months by doing cardio! Here's how he did it - Times of India - January 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: burn fat and reveal your abs in 2020 with these 5 techniques - T3 - January 25th, 2020
- Local TOPS Club offers five reasons to forgo fad diets - Hornell Evening Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- If your goal is losing weight, get on your feet - STLtoday.com - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: I was a size 24 but lost 10 stone to halve my body weight in a YEAR after I couldnt fit into my - The Sun - January 25th, 2020
- How to do the Nuut diet Save Money Lose Weights 1-2-3 method explained! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - January 25th, 2020
- These 6 Foods Are Tied to Weight GainHere Are Their Healthy Alternatives - Health.com - January 25th, 2020
- The real reason Rebel Wilson is losing weight - Nicki Swift - January 25th, 2020
- One in five Millennials has changed their diet to reduce their impact on the planet - YouGov US - January 25th, 2020
- 'Obese' bear removed from Pennsylvania club after living in poor conditions for 'possibly decades': report - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Wheatgrass to Lose Weight (Watch Video) - LatestLY - January 25th, 2020
- Woman loses eight stone in a year with Slimming World - Falmouth Packet - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight like this guy who lost 58 kgs by following this diverse yet sustainable routine - GQ India - January 25th, 2020
- 6 weight loss strategies that'll get you closer to your #BodyGoals - Health24 - January 25th, 2020
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020