With the New Year just days away, we may all be tempted to embark on a new diet in order to lose the weight gained during 2020.
Since the world shut down in March, we have all over-indulged and let our exercise plans go out the window.
So, when better than the New Year to get back on track?
Well, according to the experts, the New Year is the worst possible time to start a new diet.
Speaking to Extra.ie, Director of Nutrition at Viridian Nutrition, Aimee Benbow, noted that the idea of a New Year diet and fad diets could have a negative impact on our relationship with food.
After over-indulging during the festive break, much of the population feel the need to set strict boundaries and resolutions in relation to food consumption in January, she explained.
Although it is great that people feel motivated to get healthy, in doing so, this can impact our relationship with food and lead to unhealthy attitudes.
Restriction of certain foods often leads us to crave them even more. When we break our resolutions we mentally beat ourselves up and feel more discouraged.
This leads us to eat more unhealthy foods as a pick up and so creating a negative cycle of behaviour.
Fad diets are often popular for a moment in time but are often not formulated or designed by a trained nutritionist or dietitian.
They are devised to assist with fast weight loss and are often promoted as the magic bullet to weight management.
Usually, these types of diets cannot be maintained long term and in fact can lead to increased food intake and a higher consumption of unhealthy foods.
Aimee went onto explain that fad diets can also neglect some food groups and this, in turn, can impact both weight loss and our bodies.
If you do want to lose weight in the New Year, the nutritionist said there are some golden health rules to keep in mind when looking at your diet.
One of the most important considerations when wanting to lose weight is ensuring healthy dietary choices are adhered to, Aimee told Extra.ie.
Opting for a colourful diet rich in fruit and vegetables, plenty of fibre, good quality protein and essential fatty acids are all a step in the right direction in obtaining weight loss.
Work to eliminate highly processed foods rich in refined sugars and hydrogenated fats from the diet and if you need a snack, select unsalted, unsweetened nuts and seeds.
Exercise also plays a crucial part in the weight loss journey. Aim for 150 minutes of activity a week.
So, if you do want to embark on a new diet in the New Year, make sure you do it safely and dont be too hard on yourself.
Read this article:
Expert reveals why New Years diets could do more harm than good - Extra.ie
- The surprising reason eating less meat is linked to a longer life: A smelly toxic gas - The Conversation CA - January 20th, 2021
- 7 Dangerous Side Effects of the Keto Diet, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 20th, 2021
- Shay Mitchell Talks Lockdown Fitness, Diet And Whats Keeping Her Sane Amid The Pandemic - Forbes - January 20th, 2021
- Portland Bar and Restaurant Workers: Tell Us About the State of Winter Business - Eater Portland - January 20th, 2021
- Five Reasons Why One Should Include Eggs in Their Daily Diet - TechnoCodex - January 20th, 2021
- [Full text] Current Perspectives on the Role of Very-Low-Energy Diets in the Treat | DMSO - Dove Medical Press - January 20th, 2021
- New Study Finds Eating And Drinking In Moderation Wont Save You So Why Not Live Every Day Like Your Last? - BroBible - January 20th, 2021
- Anxiety, hypertension is the legacy of 2020 - santaynezvalleystar.com - January 20th, 2021
- Aaron Rodgers Makes Personal Decision That He Candidly Admits Is Insulting to Many Green Bay Packers Fans - Sportscasting - January 15th, 2021
- Enhanced stroke care comes to Northern - Mount Airy News - January 15th, 2021
- London X City Publishes Health Care Article Discussing The Pros And Cons Of Diet Supplements And Diet Shakes - Press Release - Digital Journal - January 12th, 2021
- Brighter days ahead: Celebrate the New Year with a healthy start - The Lawton Constitution - January 12th, 2021
- The diet that got Conor McGregor in the best shape hes ever been in ahead of Dustin Poirier rematch - Pundit Arena - January 12th, 2021
- Vegan Milk & Formula Options For Babies: When Is It Safe To Start? - BabyGaga - January 12th, 2021
- 10 Best Turmeric Supplements to Treat Inflammation, Arthritis, Fatigue and More - Observer - January 12th, 2021
- Peanuts In Winters: Nutritionist Tells How Many Peanuts You Should Eat In A Day - NDTV - January 12th, 2021
- Malachi Flynn: Bench knew they had to 'step up' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 12th, 2021
- Is 2021 the Year to Eat Like a Millennial? - AARP - December 31st, 2020
- Giloy health benefits: Reasons to add giloy to your diet and boost immunity - Times of India - December 31st, 2020
- Diabetes: Add The Goodness Of Guava To Your Winter Diet To Manage Blood Sugar Levels - NDTV - December 31st, 2020
- Helping a Heart Transplant Patient Recover from Devastating Complications& a Year in the Hospital - NYU Langone Health - December 31st, 2020
- Keto-friendly fruits: 10 low-carb options and their benefits - Medical News Today - December 23rd, 2020
- How Many Eggs Can You Safely Eat In Day? Expert Reveals The Answer - NDTV - December 23rd, 2020
- 2,000 calorie diet: Is it healthful? - Medical News Today - December 23rd, 2020
- 'Is it really a healthy eating pattern?': Experts mixed on intermittent fasting - CT Insider - December 23rd, 2020
- Vitamin C for diabetes: Include this powerful nutrient in your diet to control blood sugar levels - TheHealthSite - December 23rd, 2020
- Fitness and Nutrition Trends of 2021 - Greatist - December 23rd, 2020
- Babies and Grapes: Age, Safety, Risks, Preparing, and More - Healthline - December 15th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting The facts - SHEmazing - December 15th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: Feed your mind a daily diet of positivity and good vibes - Delaware State News - Delaware State News - December 15th, 2020
- Bananas Health Benefits: Know Why Experts Recommend Eating This Fruit Every Day - NDTV - December 15th, 2020
- 'The Last Blockbuster' exclusive sneak peek: Opening the store - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Hairdressers facing 10,000 COVID fine for building nightclub in basement with 100 revellers - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Florida's Keyontae Johnson upgraded to stable condition, breathing on his own - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 15th, 2020
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- Pet Column: Our pets are eating the wrong things - NW Evening Mail - November 1st, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020