Nutrition is important for fitness
Eating a well-balanced diet can help you get the calories and nutrients you need to fuel your daily activities, including regular exercise. When it comes to eating foods to fuel your exercise performance, its not as simple as choosing vegetables over doughnuts. You need to get the right types of food at the right times of the day. Learn about the importance of healthy breakfasts, workout snacks, and meal plans.
Get off to a good start
Your first meal of the day is an important one. According to an article published in Harvard Health Letter, eating breakfast regularly has been linked to a lower risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Starting your day with a healthy meal can help replenish your blood sugar, which your body needs to power your muscles and brain.
Eating a healthy breakfast is especially important on days when exercise is on your agenda. Skipping breakfast can leave you feeling lightheaded or lethargic while youre working out. Choosing the right kind of breakfast is crucial. Too many people rely on simple carbohydrates to start their day. But a plain white bagel or doughnut wont keep you feeling full for long. In comparison, a fiber- and protein-rich breakfast may fend off hunger pangs for longer and provide the energy you need to keep your exercise going. Follow these tips:
Count on the right carbohydrates
Thanks to low-carb fad diets, carbohydrates have gotten a bad rap. But carbohydrates are your bodys main source of energy. According to the Mayo Clinic, about 45 to 65 percent of your total daily calories should come from carbohydrates. This is especially true if you exercise.
Choosing the right kind of carbohydrates is important. Too many people rely on the simple carbs found in sweets and processed foods. Instead, you should focus on eating the complex carbs found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans. Whole grains have more staying power than refined grains because you digest them more slowly. They can help you feel full for longer and fuel your body throughout the day. They can also help stabilize your blood sugar levels. Finally, these quality grains have the vitamins and minerals you need to keep your body running at its best.
Pack protein into your snacks and meals
Protein is needed to help keep your body growing, maintained, and repaired. For example, the University of Rochester Medical Center reports that red blood cells die after about 120 days. Protein is also essential for building and repairing muscles, helping you enjoy the benefits of your workout. It can be a source of energy when carbohydrates are in short supply, but its not a major source of fuel during exercise youre well-fed.
Adults need to eat about 0.8 grams of protein per day for every kilogram of their body weight, reports Harvard Health Blog. Thats equal to about 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. Exercisers and older people may need even more. That protein can come from:
For the healthiest options, choose lean proteins that are low in saturated and trans fats. Limit the amount of red meat and processed meats that you eat.
Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of natural fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other compounds that your body needs to function properly. Theyre also low in calories and fat.
Aim to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies at every meal, recommends the United States Department of Agriculture. Try to eat the rainbow by choosing fruits and veggies of different colors. This will help you enjoy the full range of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that the produce aisle has to offer. Every time you go to the grocery store, considering choosing a new fruit or vegetable to try. For snacks, keep dried fruits in your workout bag and raw veggies in the fridge.
Unsaturated fats may help reduce inflammation, and they help provide calories. While fat is a primary fuel for aerobic exercise, we have plenty stored in the body to fuel even the longest workouts. However, getting healthy unsaturated fats helps to provide essential fatty acids and calories to keep you moving. Healthy options include:
When it comes to fueling up before or after a workout, its important to achieve the right balance of carbs and protein. Pre-workout snacks that combine carbohydrates with protein can make you feel more energized than junk foods made from simple sugars and lots of fat.
Consider stocking your workout bag and refrigerator with some of these simple snacks:
Bananas are full of potassium and magnesium, which are important nutrients to get on a daily basis. Eating a banana can help replenish these minerals while providing natural sugars to fuel your workout. For added protein, enjoy your banana with a serving of peanut butter.
These fruits are all full of vitamins and minerals, as well as water. Theyre easy on your intestines, give you a quick boost of energy, and help you stay hydrated. Consider pairing them with a serving of yogurt for protein.
Nuts are a great source of heart-healthy fats and also provide protein and essential nutrients. They can give you a source of sustained energy for your workout. Pair them with fresh or dried fruit for a healthy dose of carbohydrates. However, test these options to see how they settle. High-fat foods can slow digestion, and they may make food sit in your stomach too long if your workout is coming up quickly.
Many grocery stores carry single-serving packets of peanut butter that dont require refrigeration and can be easily stored in a gym bag. For a tasty protein-carbohydrate combo, you can swipe peanut butter on:
If you dont like peanut butter, try almond butter, soy butter, or other protein-rich alternatives.
Read more: Almond butter vs. peanut butter: Which is healthier?
Dontcut too many calories
If youre trying to lose weight or tone your body, you may be tempted to cut a ton of calories from your meals. Cutting calories is a key part of weight loss, but its possible to go too far. Weight loss diets should never leave you feeling exhausted or ill. Those are signs that youre not getting the calories you need for good health and fitness.
According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, a diet containing 1,200 to 1,500 daily calories is suitable for most women who are trying to lose weight safely. A diet with 1,500 to 1,800 daily calories is appropriate for most men who are trying to shed excess pounds. If youre very active or you dont want to lose weight while getting fit, you may need to eat more calories. Talk to your doctor or a dietitian to learn how many calories you need to support your lifestyle and fitness goals.
As you settle into an active lifestyle, youll probably discover which foods give you the most energy and which have negative effects. The key is learning to listen to your body and balancing what feels right with whats good for you. Follow these tips:
The right balance of carbohydrates, protein, and other nutrients can help fuel your exercise routine.
Read the rest here:
Exercise and Eating Healthy
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017