The catalyst came when Corbett moved from her position as interim chief executive of Australia Post to consulting at PwC in 2018, when her coffee consumption skyrocketed to five or six skim cappuccinos a day.
Corbett says it was almost a year before she noticed the extra coffees were adding kilojoules and sugar to her diet. I just went,Im not doing anything different, whats happening?, she says.
Corbett no longer follows her meal plan to the letter, but she does observe three or four alcohol-free days each week, hits the gym with her personal trainer three times a week and avoids carbs after lunchtime.
Maintaining a healthy weight is a common challenge in the C-suite. In the face of long work days, frequent travel, lunch meetings and boozy evening events often on top of taking care of a family eating healthily can easily fall by the wayside. But some executives, like Corbett, say they have cracked the code.
Intermittent fasting and gym workouts proved the right combination for Cameron Holland.Supplied
Cameron Holland, chief executive of holiday package company Luxury Escapes, lost 14 kilograms over three months using a combination of the Fast 800 intermittent fasting regime and dawn gym sessions. In general, I find that the age-old rule of calories in and calories out is about as sophisticated a diet plan that anyone ever really needs, Holland says.
In the travel and hospitality industry, eating out is practically in the job description, he says. I love the old adage about the difference between a director and a shopping trolley you get more food in a director and get more direction from a shopping trolley, Holland quips.
When he cant avoid corporate dining, Holland observes three rules: portion control, always choose the fish, and avoid that second glass of wine. While not successful every time, it helps to at least know the boundaries, he says.
David Brewster, chief legal officer of Coles Supermarkets, says his companys no gifts policy is a blessing in disguise because it means he usually has to turn down lunch and dinner invitations. I think thats what really kills executives eating those meals that are high in salt and fat and you cant control the menu, he says.
Brewster has been an avid runner for the past decade and runs marathons to stay in shape.
If taking clients out for a meal is non-negotiable, Vanessa Bennett, chief executive of business coaching company Next Evolution Performance, suggests opting for lunch instead of dinner.
Its safer over lunch than dinner, eating-wise and drinking-wise, Bennett says, noting that the days of the long lunch have passed. People do still tend to go back to work these days.
Nicole Dynan, a dietitian and spokeswoman for the Dietitians Association of Australia, suggests looking at the restaurant menu online before arrival. Have a look so youre a little bit informed and dont have to make a rushed decision, she says.
In addition to dietary changes, all the executives who spoke to BOSS have incorporated exercise into their day, whether its a seven-minute workout app or running marathons.
Hugh Alsop, chief executive of biotechnology company Kinoxis Therapeutics, shed seven kilograms in four weeks by eating ready-made keto meals from BeFit and eliminating alcohol.
Keto is a fantastic option for people and it just really goes back to the way people used to eat. We never used to eat heaps of carbs, Alsop says. But its tough, so you need to be committed.
He no longer eats the BeFit meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but he finds them handy for lunch on the go.
Despite the popularity of the keto diet, Dynan warns that cutting all carbs can make it harder to concentrate at work, which would be an issue for executives.
Theyre doing a lot of mentally draining work and need to be firing on all cylinders, Dynan says. If theyre starving from lack of carbs, their brains going to be running on empty.
She recommends filling one quarter of your plate with healthy carbohydrates such as brown rice or sweet potato, one quarter protein such as lean meat or tofu and the remaining half plate with vegetables.
Alsop says he didnt find concentration an issue, but craving carbs was a challenge. He helped curb these cravings by having healthy snacks, such as protein balls, on hand.
Travel can be another stumbling block for executives watching their weight. Bennett and Dynan recommend eating plant-based foods, avoiding alcohol and drinking plenty of water. Dynan also recommends eating relatively little on flights to help the digestive system.
Corbett and Brewster both say they do what they can to avoid eating during flights."Oh no, I just avoid aeroplane food," Corbett says, laughing.
- Weight loss shock: Woman shed 3st and carved toned abs in just eight weeks with this diet - Express - March 30th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy at Home During the Coronavirus Lockdown - EcoWatch - March 30th, 2020
- We can get through this: How to manage your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - MarketWatch - March 30th, 2020
- Have a headache? The top 7 triggers - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - March 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the cheap breakfast juice to lower your chances of hypertension - Express - March 30th, 2020
- Wellness Tools: Good Food, Exercise, And Gratitude - Outlook India - March 30th, 2020
- Trials find invasive surgery is no better than medication at reducing heart attack risk - News-Medical.Net - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of the L.A. Chargers' Austin Ekeler, Whos Streaming His Workouts Like a Gamer - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Danny Trejo, Who's Banging Out Two-a-Days In Isolation - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- Diet and Exercise: Choices Today for a Healthier Tomorrow - March 27th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy (and Sane) While You Ride Out COVID-19 - Men's Journal - March 27th, 2020
- Get the Facts on Eating for Health And Boosting Your Immune System Naturally - Brownsville Herald - March 27th, 2020
- How essential oils can boost immunity and support health - ABC 4 - March 27th, 2020
- How to stay healthy at home during the coronavirus lockdown - DW (English) - March 27th, 2020
- Make the glass half full - Leadercourier-times.com - March 27th, 2020
- Working from home, Part 3: Managing the challenges of teleworking with kids at home - The Lane Report - March 27th, 2020
- Beating Covid-19: Risk avoidance and better health and diet solution - Bangkok Post - March 27th, 2020
- The secrets of the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- So is the diet with which Adele has lost more than 45 kilos - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- With games on hold, Michigan's health and welfare team takes charge - The Athletic - March 27th, 2020
- 10 Ways to Stick With Your Weight-Loss Goals When Youre Stuck at Home - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 27th, 2020
- My Diet To Beat The Lockdown Blues - Outlook India - March 27th, 2020
- 21-Day Lockdown: 10 Diet And Workout Tips That You Can Follow - NDTV News - March 26th, 2020
- An Exclusive With Dr. Sailaja Reddy on Building Immunity Through Diet and Exercise In Response to Coronavirus - India New England - March 26th, 2020
- Exercising discretion over lockdown rules - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Take It In: Control weight with meal timing, exercise - The Triton - March 26th, 2020
- 10-minute core and abs home workout to keep you fit during this lockdown - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- 8 Health Benefits Of Cherries, According To Nutritionists - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating Tofu And Plant Based Foods Is Associated With Lower Risk Of Heart Disease - Bel Marra Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating tofu linked to a lower risk of heart disease, says study - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- Is takeout safe right now? Should we do laundry daily? Sherrill and experts field pandemic questions in telephone town hall - Morristown Green - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood? Analyze the diet with the that Adele she lost 45 pounds - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- High Blood Pressure: Here's How Walking Can Help You Fight Hypertension; Other Tips To Lower Blood Pressure Numbers - Doctor NDTV - March 26th, 2020
- Many Young Athletes With Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction Are Misdiagnosed - Bicycling - March 26th, 2020
- 'My heartthrob days are over': Joe Wicks on health, happiness and training the nation - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Maintaining Your Wellbeing During Times of Stress - News Of The Area - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood; the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Understanding acute and chronic inflammation - Harvard Health - March 21st, 2020
- How to Workout and Train Effectively on a Vegan or Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- 5 Most Common Reasons People Give Up On Their Diet - Taste Terminal - March 21st, 2020
- Food: Seven reasons you're not losing weight - HeraldScotland - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Stuck at home? Heres what mental health experts say you should do to take care of your emotiona - MassLive.com - March 21st, 2020
- 'Wake up, millennials: Now is the time to prioritize your mental health,' therapist says of coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 21st, 2020
- Ring the Alarm: COVID-19 Presents Grave Danger to Communities of Color - Colorlines - March 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Fitness experts offer advice for fighting off the Quarantine 15 - Peace River Record Gazette - March 21st, 2020
- Keeping the heart healthy - sidneydailynews.com - March 21st, 2020
- How to boost your immune system and fight the coronavirus - Christian Post - March 21st, 2020
- High blood pressure: This simple exercise has been linked to lower blood pressure - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Immunity boosters to make you #CoronaSafe - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Build your immunity and take some control with tips from wellness experts - Buffalo News - March 21st, 2020
- Working Out on Keto: All You Need to Know - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Foods that beat fatigue: What to eat and other diet tips - Medical News Today - March 19th, 2020
- Exercise at Home to Avoid the Gym During COVID-19 Outbreak - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Treating Schizophrenia with Individualized Care - TippNews DAILY - March 19th, 2020
- Participants named in Go Red for Women heart-health makeover - Rome Sentinel - March 19th, 2020
- Health and Beauty News: Practice these diet tips to save your waistline during self isolation - Euro Weekly News - March 19th, 2020
- The most effective method to get thinner and get fit in 2020: 20 simple tips, diet hacks and exercise schedules to assist you with beginning - Globe... - March 19th, 2020
- 12 Burning Questions About Intermittent Fasting, Answered - Everyday Health - March 19th, 2020
- How Exercise Reduces Cabin Fever (Plus Home Workouts to Get Started) - BarBend - March 19th, 2020
- Nutrition For Women: Should It Be Different? - iAfrica.com - March 19th, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar: How much of the tonic should you drink to burn fat fast? - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Increase in cases of colorectal cancer in young adults - Medical News Bulletin - March 19th, 2020
- Ways To Boost Your Immunity On A Plant-Based Diet - Plant Based News - March 19th, 2020
- How to lose water weight and lead a healthier lifestyle - Business Insider Australia - March 19th, 2020
- Work From Home Tips: Beat The Laziness With These Tips To Stick To Your Health Routine By Nmami Agarwal - Doctor NDTV - March 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Manage Stress During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 19th, 2020
- Sports Nutrition in 2020: Plant proteins and beyond - Nutritional Outlook - March 19th, 2020
- Obesity is a chronic disease: heres how to fight it - Philippine Star - March 19th, 2020
- The Workout Routine and Intuitive Diet of a CrossFitter Turned World Champ Weightlifter - POPSUGAR - March 15th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and carve six pack abs in these six steps - what can you do? - Express - March 15th, 2020
- The best foods to boost your immune system and how to get more of them into your diet - Telegraph.co.uk - March 15th, 2020
- Even if you are virus-free, COVID-19 is affecting your health. Here's what to do - Scope - March 15th, 2020
- Forget expensive creams, its healthy living that can make your skin glow - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 15th, 2020
- What is OMAD diet: Why eating one meal a day isn't recommended by experts - Insider - INSIDER - March 15th, 2020
- Vance AFB upgrades health protection condition in face of coronavirus - Moore American - March 15th, 2020
- Sticking to cardiac rehab boosts survival chances after a heart attack - Medical News Today - March 15th, 2020
- 325th Fighter Wing Commander Declaration of HPCON A - WJHG-TV - March 15th, 2020
- A healthy diet can reverse the bad effects of smoking, stress - Free Malaysia Today - March 15th, 2020
- A nutritionists guide to a better nights sleep - Evening Standard - March 15th, 2020
- What is considered obese and why it doesn't always mean poor health - Business Insider Australia - March 15th, 2020