Kourtney Kardashian,Megan Fox,Gwyneth Paltrow and Halle Berry have all tried and tested the keto [short for ketogenic] diet and theyre certainly not alone. It ranks as the biggest diet trend of 2020 with a whopping 25,434,000 daily Google searches!
Intermittent fasting, endorsed by reality star Zara McDermott and actress Jennifer Aniston, follows in second place this year with 11,700,000 searches to its name every day.
In at number three according to the research commissioned by golfsupport.com/who, is paleo, with 3,834,000 daily searches, Gwyneth Paltrow is also an advocate of.
So what do these diets entail? Here's everything you need to know...
This diet is high in fat and low in carbs and forces the body to burn fats instead of carbohydrates. The idea is to get the liver to produce ketones, which is a type of chemical your body produces to break down fats, for the body to use as energy.
Ketones are a by-product that occur when the body breaks down fat for fuel as a result of a low carbohydrate intake.
Although it means carbs are limited, healthy fat consumption goes up, so olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seed are all on the menu.
Non-starchy green vegetables, like broccoli, courgette, asparagus and cucumber are also good to go. For protein sources, organic, pasture-raised and grass-fed meats are recommended where possible
Kourtney Kardashian previously spoke about keeping her body in a constant state of ketosis.
She said: My doctor said one of the fastest ways to detox metals is to try to keep my body in a state of ketosis, which occurs when the glycogen in your liver is depleted and the body burns fatty acids for energy. To do this, I stick to a low-carb diet, with high proteins and healthy fats, and I eat 3 meals a daywith no snacking in between.
Halle Berry has previously commented on it too, as she said: I eat healthy fats all day long, avocado, oil, coconut oil and I use butter, but dont have any sugar. So when your body gets trained to burn fats, its constantly on fat-burning mode thats the secret.
This is a fairly straight forward eating pattern that swings, as its name suggests, between fasting and eating.
Made In Chelsea star Zara McDermott revealed her plans to give it a go for a week in May and Frankie Essex has also tried it, as has A-lister Beyonce.
UK singer Ellie Goulding will fast for up to 40 hours to reduce inflammation but says she does so safely following medical advice.
She explained: I do it very safely by having a purposefully nutritious food day the day before and after. On the fast day, I drink high-grade electrolytes and a lot of water.
Jennifer Aniston, meanwhile, cuts out solid foods before lunch if shes following the regime, explaining, I do intermittent fasting, so theres no food in the morning.
Scarlett Johansson is another fan of the fast and did so for around 12 hours a day while training for her Avengers role as Black Widow. That was a general guidelineat moments we pushed beyond that to 14-15 hours depending on the filming schedule, says her trainer Eric Johnson.
This is a back to basics dietary plan based on food eaten by those during the Palaeolithic era. The reason for this is because hunter-gatherers are presumed to have lived with lower rates of lifestyle disease, obesity and diabetes.
So it involves sticking to unprocessed foods, high in protein, low in carbohydrates. Plenty of fruit and vegetables are encourage but dairy products should be limited.
Like Gwyneth Paltrow, fellow actress Jessica Biel credits the diet for keeping her healthy and says, eating Paleo just leans you down and slims you up and takes that little layer of fat and water-weight right off your body.
She adds, I do a lot of cooking at home using fresh fish or lean meat like chicken and vegetables.
Please consult a healthcare professional before undertaking any kind of restrictive eating schedule.
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- Pet Column: Our pets are eating the wrong things - NW Evening Mail - November 1st, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020