Lindsay Hecox was looking forward to finally running track in college. Hecox, a 19-year-old freshman at Boise State University, ran cross country in high school and said it was the only place where she felt like she could be herself. In addition to describing herself as a shy introvert, Hecox has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which made it difficult to make friends. Running provided her a shared experience to bond with her classmates.
Even though I definitely wasn't the most social, I still felt accepted, Hecox told VICE. I was a pretty good runner and everyone likes you if youre nice and you can run fast.
Hecox, who came out as transgender at the end of her senior year of high school, took the year off from running competitively to start transitioning and focus on her studies. Guidelines established by the NCAA state that trans female athletes must take medications that suppress their testosterone levels for a year before they are allowed to compete, and she started hormone replacement therapy last September. That means she could have been eligible for the 2020-2021 school year. (The NCAA told The Hill last month that it was monitoring the bills progress.)
If she had made the team, Hecox would have made history: No transgender student athlete has ever competed openly on a collegiate track team in Idaho. Hecox said she wasnt looking to break records, though. She just wanted to feel at home again.
Running really helps stabilize me, as I sometimes have mood fluctuations, Hecox said. If I go out for a run, it cleans the slate, and I feel like I can release a little bit of stress after that. If you have a friend and youre running alongside them, it feels like youre losing track of time and it gets your mind off things, as you just look forward to the next mile marker.
But Hecox could soon be banned from the sport she loves if Idaho signs a bill into law that would prohibit transgender women and girls from participating in school athletics in alignment with their gender identity. House Bill 500, also known as the Fairness in Womens Sports Act, applies to student-athletes playing in K-12 sports and at the collegiate level, no matter if the university is public or private. The legislation is headed to Gov. Brad Littles desk after passing the Idaho Senate last Monday by a 24-11 vote and the House last month, both of which are dominated by Republicans.
HB 500 isnt the only anti-trans bill awaiting the governors proverbial pen. Just days after the Senate overwhelmingly approved the trans sports ban, it also passed House Bill 509, which prevents transgender people from updating their birth certificates to match their lived gender. In a Thursday vote, all but six Senators approved the legislation, also called the Idaho Vital Statistics Act.
Little has yet to state whether he intends to support either of the two proposals, but when asked about them last month, the governor was quoted in the Idaho Press as saying hes not a big discrimination guy.
The bills have been met with virulent opposition from civil rights groups. Kathy Griesmyer, policy director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Idaho, said their passage would set a really dangerous precedent that would likely be used as a model for discriminating against transgender people in other states. Although the ACLU estimated that 17 states in the U.S. have introduced bills in the 2020 legislative session that would restrict the ability of trans students to compete in school sports, none have passed. HB 500 would be the first bill of its kind in the nation.
There are really devastating consequences if HB 500 becomes law, Griesmyer told VICE. This has the potential to harm intersex people, women who present too masculine, or anybody who wants to use this law to go after a competitor.
Among the most glaring issues with HB 500 is that it stipulates that a student athletes biological sex would have to be determined by one of three factors before they are allowed to compete. These options are a test of the individuals internal and external reproductive anatomy, normal endogenously produced levels of testosterone, or genetic makeup.
But as in the case of a similar bill introduced in Arizona, the legislation does not establish a process for bringing about these claims, meaning that any student or their parent could accuse an athlete on an opposing team of being transgender. Accused students, many of whom as likely to be cisgender, would thereby be forced to undergo costly DNA testing or an invasive genital exam. The proposal also does not state what body would be responsible for looking into complaints or how a students private medical information would be protected.
Notably, the Arizona bill was watered down to remove the genital testing components following public backlash. The Idaho legislation has remained unchanged, despite the concerns of LGBTQ advocacy groups.
This bill is not based on science, Kate Oakley, senior counsel for the Human Rights Campaign, told VICE. It is legislation that is based purely in misinformation about trans youth, and it is targeting trans youth for discriminatory treatment. For any trans person in Idaho, they are now on notice that their government is willing to make laws that are based on fear and not facts.
The anti-trans bills are likely to be met with immediate legal action should they be signed into law, as five former Idaho attorneys general argued in a March 17 letter addressed to Little. In particular, critics said HB 509, the birth certificate bill, would violate a court order from U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Candy W. Dale, who ruled in March 2018 that Idahos policy of denying birth certificate corrections on the basis of gender identity was unconstitutional. Prior to that time, Idaho was one of three statesalong with Ohio and Tennesseethat did not allow trans people to update their birth records.
When that policy was overturned in district court, Emilie Jackson-Edney was one of the first people in Idaho to apply for a corrected birth certificate. Jackson-Edney, who sits on the board of the Pride Foundation in Boise, said she had started her application process eight years earlier but that the long wait was worth it.
Its necessary to navigate safely through society with minimal harassment and minimal scrutiny, Jackson-Edney told VICE, noting that a third of trans people without a corrected birth certificate report experiencing mistreatment and even physical violence as a result. Its a safety issue. For trans people having concurrent identity documents that reflect their gender identity is really critical, and not being able to have them would be very difficult.
What makes these bills particularly hurtful for trans people in Idaho is the timing of the legislation. They were pushed through the state Senate during the same week that municipalities across the country took measures to curb the spread of coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. And yet in Idaho, little has been done to stop its citizens from contracting coronavirus.
I havent seen one thing from the [state] government other than telling us to wash our hands, and I honestly don't think that were taking it very seriously, said Yarit Rodriguez, who runs a support group for trans youth in Idaho, told VICE. He added that it doesn't make sense to him why passing anti-trans bills is more important than an outbreak affecting multiple communities.
The lack of statewide action on coronavirus is particularly personal for Hecox, who was being forced out of her dorm at Boise State as she spoke over the phone on Thursday. The university sent an email to students earlier the same day ordering anyone who hadnt already abandoned campus housing to evacuate the premises within the week. Although many students who have family in the area have the option to simply move back home, it wasnt so easy for her.
I was living with my grandparents in California before, she said. They don't want another person living with them because of their age. They are susceptible to having a bad reaction to the virus or dying.
To keep Hecox from being homeless, her mother is uprooting her life in California to move to Boise. Even as the federal government debates a trillion-dollar stimulus package that would provide greater assistance to families like hers, which have been forced into impossible situations, Hecox noted that Idaho lawmakers had yet to make any similar moves. The Senate wrapped for the year on Thursday, while the House finished up the following day.
They have not passed any legislation for that, she said of a statewide coronavirus relief effort. They dont have their priorities straight.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily.
Read the original here:
Everyone Else Is Dealing with COVID-19. Idahos Pushing an Anti-Trans Bill - VICE
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Menopausal Women May Be Able To Give Birth After Blood Plasma Injections - Anti Aging News - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Relationship of breastfeeding duration with joint pain and knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Korean women: a cross-sectional study using the Korea... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020
- The office is still in the closet - Bangalore Mirror - September 12th, 2020
- Shannon Medical Center offers new option for hormone replacement therapy - Standard-Times - September 11th, 2020
- Convalescent Plasma: What We Still Need to Know - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - September 11th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Trends, Regulations and Competitive Landscape Outlook to 2018 to 2028 - The Market Chronicles - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Update Know Whose Market Share Is Getting Bigger And Bigger - Owned - September 11th, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Growth to be Fuelled by 2019-2026 - StartupNG - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Projected to Grow at Steady Rate through 2017 to 2026 - Daily Research Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Rapid Increase in End-use Adoption to Boost Breast Tissue Markers Market Revenue Growth - Lake Shore Gazette - September 11th, 2020
- Transitioning behind bars: Nothing less than torture! - Workers World - September 8th, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Announces Participation in Two Upcoming Virtual Conferences - GlobeNewswire - September 8th, 2020
- Can soybean milk prevent breast cancer? - The Star Online - September 8th, 2020
- Cervical, ovarian and three other types of gynaecolo..that affect women; timely screening key for prevention - Firstpost - September 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - September 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Analysis & Technological Innovation by Leading Key Players - AlgosOnline - September 7th, 2020
- Meet the women challenging the menopause taboo - SBS News - September 7th, 2020
- Potential impact of Covid-19 on Hormone Therapy Market Growth and Demand, Concludes Fact.MR - Scientect - September 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Estriol Market based on types and application - AlgosOnline - September 7th, 2020
- Creativity And Endocrine System: Is There a Connection - 2020 Guide - VideoInk - September 7th, 2020
- Workplaces are still in the closet - Mumbai Mirror - September 7th, 2020
- Marijuana Vaporizer Industry Market SWOT Analysis of Top Key Player & Forecasts To 2026 - The News Brok - September 7th, 2020
- Ovarian Cancer: What are the symptoms and risk factors? - Monitor - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They stripped me of everything': Transgender woman jailed with men, sues sheriff's office - WTSP.com - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market SWOT Analysis by Outline from 2020-2027 - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Market Analysis and Technological Opportunities of Hormone Replacement Therapy Market till 2063 - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Competitive Intelligence and Tracking Report 2017 to 2026 - The Scarlet - September 3rd, 2020
- Uterine Fibroid Diagnostics and Therapeutics Market Key Insights, Profiling Companies and Growth Strategies - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth, Forecast Analysis Report 2020 By Product, By Application, By Segment, By Region ... - September 1st, 2020
- Dar Bioscience and Avomeen Form Strategic Partnership to Accelerate the Development of Dar's Novel Pipeline of Women's Health Programs - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020-2029 / Growth, Emerging Trends And Forecast - The News Brok - September 1st, 2020
- Davina McCall on Her Life After Menopause & Why She's Feeling More Confident Than Ever - Women's Health - September 1st, 2020
- Further coronavirus heart impact discovered; new clues to why women fare better than men - KDAL News - September 1st, 2020
- Davina McCall on Her Life & Sex After Menopause Why She's Feeling More Confident Than Ever - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 1st, 2020
- Title IX: Is it time for adjustments to the law - NGSC Sports LLC - September 1st, 2020
- Investments in Innovation to Ovarian Cancer Market between 2015 and 2021 - Bulletin Line - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Market Size Forecast 2020-2026 Made Available by Top Research Firm - AlgosOnline - August 20th, 2020
- High blood pressure in pregnancy linked with 'more bothersome' hot flashes during menopause - jacksonprogress-argus - August 20th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global and United States Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020-2026 | Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer - The... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Orphan Drug Market Industry Forecast 2020-2026|Slated to Witness Tremendous Growth By AbbVie, AstraZeneca, Baxter, Eli Lilly and Company,... - August 20th, 2020
- PODCAST: The Broken Rainbow: Transwomen with no safe healthcare -EP2 - EWN - August 20th, 2020
- UK teenager going through menopause at 15 finds out she can't have kids - 7NEWS.com.au - August 20th, 2020
- Helping Transgender Patients Reap the Benefits & Navigate the Challenges of Hormone Therapy - NYU Langone Health - August 15th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global COVID-19 Impact, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 15th, 2020