Lindsay Hecox was looking forward to finally running track in college. Hecox, a 19-year-old freshman at Boise State University, ran cross country in high school and said it was the only place where she felt like she could be herself. In addition to describing herself as a shy introvert, Hecox has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which made it difficult to make friends. Running provided her a shared experience to bond with her classmates.
Even though I definitely wasn't the most social, I still felt accepted, Hecox told VICE. I was a pretty good runner and everyone likes you if youre nice and you can run fast.
Hecox, who came out as transgender at the end of her senior year of high school, took the year off from running competitively to start transitioning and focus on her studies. Guidelines established by the NCAA state that trans female athletes must take medications that suppress their testosterone levels for a year before they are allowed to compete, and she started hormone replacement therapy last September. That means she could have been eligible for the 2020-2021 school year. (The NCAA told The Hill last month that it was monitoring the bills progress.)
If she had made the team, Hecox would have made history: No transgender student athlete has ever competed openly on a collegiate track team in Idaho. Hecox said she wasnt looking to break records, though. She just wanted to feel at home again.
Running really helps stabilize me, as I sometimes have mood fluctuations, Hecox said. If I go out for a run, it cleans the slate, and I feel like I can release a little bit of stress after that. If you have a friend and youre running alongside them, it feels like youre losing track of time and it gets your mind off things, as you just look forward to the next mile marker.
But Hecox could soon be banned from the sport she loves if Idaho signs a bill into law that would prohibit transgender women and girls from participating in school athletics in alignment with their gender identity. House Bill 500, also known as the Fairness in Womens Sports Act, applies to student-athletes playing in K-12 sports and at the collegiate level, no matter if the university is public or private. The legislation is headed to Gov. Brad Littles desk after passing the Idaho Senate last Monday by a 24-11 vote and the House last month, both of which are dominated by Republicans.
HB 500 isnt the only anti-trans bill awaiting the governors proverbial pen. Just days after the Senate overwhelmingly approved the trans sports ban, it also passed House Bill 509, which prevents transgender people from updating their birth certificates to match their lived gender. In a Thursday vote, all but six Senators approved the legislation, also called the Idaho Vital Statistics Act.
Little has yet to state whether he intends to support either of the two proposals, but when asked about them last month, the governor was quoted in the Idaho Press as saying hes not a big discrimination guy.
The bills have been met with virulent opposition from civil rights groups. Kathy Griesmyer, policy director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Idaho, said their passage would set a really dangerous precedent that would likely be used as a model for discriminating against transgender people in other states. Although the ACLU estimated that 17 states in the U.S. have introduced bills in the 2020 legislative session that would restrict the ability of trans students to compete in school sports, none have passed. HB 500 would be the first bill of its kind in the nation.
There are really devastating consequences if HB 500 becomes law, Griesmyer told VICE. This has the potential to harm intersex people, women who present too masculine, or anybody who wants to use this law to go after a competitor.
Among the most glaring issues with HB 500 is that it stipulates that a student athletes biological sex would have to be determined by one of three factors before they are allowed to compete. These options are a test of the individuals internal and external reproductive anatomy, normal endogenously produced levels of testosterone, or genetic makeup.
But as in the case of a similar bill introduced in Arizona, the legislation does not establish a process for bringing about these claims, meaning that any student or their parent could accuse an athlete on an opposing team of being transgender. Accused students, many of whom as likely to be cisgender, would thereby be forced to undergo costly DNA testing or an invasive genital exam. The proposal also does not state what body would be responsible for looking into complaints or how a students private medical information would be protected.
Notably, the Arizona bill was watered down to remove the genital testing components following public backlash. The Idaho legislation has remained unchanged, despite the concerns of LGBTQ advocacy groups.
This bill is not based on science, Kate Oakley, senior counsel for the Human Rights Campaign, told VICE. It is legislation that is based purely in misinformation about trans youth, and it is targeting trans youth for discriminatory treatment. For any trans person in Idaho, they are now on notice that their government is willing to make laws that are based on fear and not facts.
The anti-trans bills are likely to be met with immediate legal action should they be signed into law, as five former Idaho attorneys general argued in a March 17 letter addressed to Little. In particular, critics said HB 509, the birth certificate bill, would violate a court order from U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Candy W. Dale, who ruled in March 2018 that Idahos policy of denying birth certificate corrections on the basis of gender identity was unconstitutional. Prior to that time, Idaho was one of three statesalong with Ohio and Tennesseethat did not allow trans people to update their birth records.
When that policy was overturned in district court, Emilie Jackson-Edney was one of the first people in Idaho to apply for a corrected birth certificate. Jackson-Edney, who sits on the board of the Pride Foundation in Boise, said she had started her application process eight years earlier but that the long wait was worth it.
Its necessary to navigate safely through society with minimal harassment and minimal scrutiny, Jackson-Edney told VICE, noting that a third of trans people without a corrected birth certificate report experiencing mistreatment and even physical violence as a result. Its a safety issue. For trans people having concurrent identity documents that reflect their gender identity is really critical, and not being able to have them would be very difficult.
What makes these bills particularly hurtful for trans people in Idaho is the timing of the legislation. They were pushed through the state Senate during the same week that municipalities across the country took measures to curb the spread of coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. And yet in Idaho, little has been done to stop its citizens from contracting coronavirus.
I havent seen one thing from the [state] government other than telling us to wash our hands, and I honestly don't think that were taking it very seriously, said Yarit Rodriguez, who runs a support group for trans youth in Idaho, told VICE. He added that it doesn't make sense to him why passing anti-trans bills is more important than an outbreak affecting multiple communities.
The lack of statewide action on coronavirus is particularly personal for Hecox, who was being forced out of her dorm at Boise State as she spoke over the phone on Thursday. The university sent an email to students earlier the same day ordering anyone who hadnt already abandoned campus housing to evacuate the premises within the week. Although many students who have family in the area have the option to simply move back home, it wasnt so easy for her.
I was living with my grandparents in California before, she said. They don't want another person living with them because of their age. They are susceptible to having a bad reaction to the virus or dying.
To keep Hecox from being homeless, her mother is uprooting her life in California to move to Boise. Even as the federal government debates a trillion-dollar stimulus package that would provide greater assistance to families like hers, which have been forced into impossible situations, Hecox noted that Idaho lawmakers had yet to make any similar moves. The Senate wrapped for the year on Thursday, while the House finished up the following day.
They have not passed any legislation for that, she said of a statewide coronavirus relief effort. They dont have their priorities straight.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily.
Read the original here:
Everyone Else Is Dealing with COVID-19. Idahos Pushing an Anti-Trans Bill - VICE
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Trends, Research, Analysis & Forecast 2026 Major Growth By Novo Nordisk A/S, Sanofi,... - March 27th, 2020
- Want To Know What To Read Next? The Latest History Books Reviewed - BBC History Magazine - March 27th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Jewish Life News - March 26th, 2020
- Dar Bioscience to Host Fourth Quarter and Full-year 2019 Financial Results and Company Update Conference Call and Webcast on March 30, 2020 - Yahoo... - March 26th, 2020
- Risk of breast cancer before and after rheumatoid arthritis, and the impact of hormonal factors - DocWire News - March 26th, 2020
- Global Hormon replacement therapy Market Report Help Participants Improve their Business Tactics & Ensure their Long-term Success - TheLoop21 - March 26th, 2020
- You thought bariatric surgery raised heart attack risk? New study finds it doesn't - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - March 26th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near Future 2017 to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 20th, 2020
- The Most Common Causes Of Hair Loss In Women And How To Treat Them - HuffPost - March 20th, 2020
- Sex Doesn't End at 40, and Other Reasons to End Silence About Menopause - Women's eNews - March 20th, 2020
- North America Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Size, Share, Cost Structure and Forecast to 2020-2025 - Feed Road - March 20th, 2020
- Match Q&A: Will You Find What You're Looking For? - AAFP News - March 20th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Size, Business Analysis and Opportunity Assessment 2020-2026 - Weekly Wall - March 20th, 2020
- Pretentious Pseudo-Scientific Gibberish in Favor of Conversion "Therapy" - The Slowly Boiled Frog - March 20th, 2020
- Theo Germaine on the Beautiful Variety of Trans, Nonbinary Identities - Advocate.com - March 18th, 2020
- Compounding Pharmacies Market 2020 Research Report by Manufactures and Region, Type, Application, Forecast to 2025 - Stock Market Herald - March 18th, 2020
- Vasomotor Symptoms Market Size is Growing at a CAGR of 7% | Some of the Major Players are KaNDy Therapeutics, Fervent Pharmaceuticals, Astellas... - March 16th, 2020
- Davina McCall still on hormone replacement therapy after eight years - Metro.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- The extraordinary life and times of Genesis P-Orridge - Louder - March 16th, 2020
- Definite Wellness brings definite results | Local News - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- What To Know About Menstrual Migraines & How To Manage Them - YourTango - March 15th, 2020
- Worried About Getting Grey Hair Too Soon? Know The Causes And Tips For Prevention From Dermatologist - NDTV - March 15th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Estimated to Record Highest CAGR by 2017 to 2026 - Feed Road - March 15th, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Global Analysis and 2019-2024 Forecast Report - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- Woman went through a medical menopause at the age of 19 because of her painful condition endometriosis - Hull Daily Mail - March 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Poised for Steady Growth in the Future 2017 to 2026 - Monroe Scoop - March 11th, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy and Fracture Healing Market: Quantitative Market Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 2026 - News Times - March 11th, 2020
- HRT helps ward off heart disease in middle aged women, US study shows - The Telegraph - March 9th, 2020
- Woman, 19, put through medical menopause at the age of 19 - Grimsby Live - March 9th, 2020
- Embarrassing health complaints women shouldnt be ashamed of - Yahoo Movies UK - March 9th, 2020
- Perimenopause Symptoms Here's What You Need to Know - The Kit - March 7th, 2020
- Ask the GP: My eyes are weepy and when I wake they are stuck together - The Irish News - March 7th, 2020
- International Women's Day 8 March: LKF conducts research on women's health with women leading the way - marketscreener.com - March 7th, 2020
- Women's health: Thousands of menopause cases are wrongly diagnosed as depression - Express - March 7th, 2020
- I was forced to go through the menopause aged 19 after crippling endometriosis battle - The Scottish Sun - March 7th, 2020
- Embarrassing health complaints women shouldnt be ashamed of - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 7th, 2020
- 2020-2025 Global and Regional Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research... - March 7th, 2020
- Mums migraines, anxiety & palpitations were driving her crazy for two years until she was diagnosed with p - The Sun - March 7th, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy: Uses, types, and alternatives - March 2nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Huge Growth Opportunities and Expansion by 2026 Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer, Mylan... - March 2nd, 2020
- Surviving perimenopause: I was overwhelmed and full of rage. Why was I so badly prepared? - The Guardian - March 1st, 2020
- Hot flashes: How this veteran won the battle against menopause - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - March 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Recent Developments & Emerging Trends To 2026 - News Times - March 1st, 2020
- GoFundMe set up for East Lothian transwoman's breast augmentation raises over 700 in 24 hours - Edinburgh News - March 1st, 2020
- Boosting women's heart health takes more than wearing red - Reading Eagle - February 26th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2025 Forecasts and Analysis with Top Key Players like - Merck Serono, Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly - Fashion... - February 26th, 2020
- Want to Transition? There's an App for That - VICE UK - February 26th, 2020
- In the Wrong Body - Teen Girl to Teen Boy - Deutsche Welle - February 24th, 2020
- How to survive the menopause despite UK's shortage of vital HRT drugs - Mirror Online - February 24th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Forecast and Opportunities 2020 Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer, Mylan Laboratories - News Parents - February 24th, 2020
- 'I will euthanise myself before I go into aged care': how aged care is failing LGBTI+ people - The Conversation AU - February 24th, 2020
- Want to Transition? There's an App for That - VICE - February 24th, 2020
- Everything you hear about breast cancer is not true - Gulf Today - February 24th, 2020
- How Hormone Replacement Therapy Increases Energy Levels - February 18th, 2020
- Once and for all: Hormone replacement is good for women ... - February 18th, 2020
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Cancer - National Cancer ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - Results & Side Effects - February 18th, 2020
- 9 Side Effects Of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) - February 18th, 2020
- NovaGenix Hormone Therapy & Anti Aging Clinic in Jupiter ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy Doctors in Georgia, Testosterone ... - February 18th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy Formulations Offer Different Levels of Heart Protection - Everyday Health - February 18th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Analysis, Industry Size, Share, Trends, Application Analysis and Growth Opportunities Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Has Marvel Featured a Prominent #Trans Character Under The Radar for a Year-And-A-Half? - Bleeding Cool News - February 18th, 2020
- Hormon replacement therapy Market Comprehensive Analysis Along With Leading Growth Drivers, Recent Development, Trends and Restraints - Sound On Sound... - February 18th, 2020
- The dire state of sexual and reproductive health education in schools - Health-e News - February 18th, 2020
- Why your heart needs extra love and care during menopause - WLTX.com - February 10th, 2020
- What Is At Stake In The FDA's Action Against HRT - Anti Aging News - February 10th, 2020
- Dr. Fulton - Providing a High-Quality of Care for His Patients for Over 20 Years -Simpatra.Health - PR.com - February 10th, 2020
- My future mother-in-law wants me to get a job but Im transitioning and stressed out: Ask Ellie - Toronto Star - February 10th, 2020
- Progesterone During Pregnancy Could Prevent Thousands of Miscarriages - Healthline - February 5th, 2020
- Women faces months waiting for out-of-stock hormone replacement therapy treatments - Evening Standard - February 3rd, 2020
- Evaluate stance on hormone replacement therapy due to risks - The Straits Times - February 3rd, 2020
- Heart Disease Risk Grows as Women Move Through Menopause - Newswise - February 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Display Lucrative Growth Opportunities Until 2028 - MENAFN.COM - February 3rd, 2020
- Finasteride Market to trace exponential gain till 2025; boosted by the alopecia treatment industry - Technology Magazine - February 3rd, 2020
- The menopause isnt so scary that young women need to sign up for costly surgery - The Guardian - February 3rd, 2020
- Child rapist having the time of his life preparing for womens prison after claiming to be trans - Lifesite - February 3rd, 2020
- Hot flushes and HRT: everything you need to know about the menopause explained - The National - February 3rd, 2020
- Putting the spotlight on womens cardiac health - The Daily Star - February 3rd, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market Size : Increase in Government Initiative to Boost the Market by 2027 - Med News Ledger - February 3rd, 2020