By Whitney E. Akers
Packed with record-setting athletes displaying cut physiques and explosive power, "The Game Changers," a new documentary on Netflix, has a clear message: Vegan is best.
The film aims to make the case that a vegan diet isn't only the most advantageous diet for long-term health, but for an athletic edge as well.
From Olympic weightlifter Kendrick Farris and cycling champion Dotsie Bausch to top distance runner Scott Jurek and Arnold Schwarzenegger (a producer of the film), the documentary chronicles several professional athletes who attribute getting faster and stronger, and recovering from injury more quickly, to adopting a plant-based diet specifically vegan.
Vegans don't eat meat or products derived from animals, like eggs or milk.
While there's not much data to back a trend of professional athletes going vegan or vegetarian, Barbara Lewin, RDN, CSSD, LDN, a sports nutritionist who works with professional athletes, including Olympic athletes and members of the NHL and NBA, certainly sees her pro-athlete clients embracing a plant-based diet.
"My clients see so many benefits to eating a plant-based diet that postseason, they don't go back to eating as an omnivore or a carnivore," Lewin noted.
Healthline asked that question to David C. Nieman, DrPH, FACSM, a professor of health and exercise science and director of the Human Performance Laboratory at Appalachian State University in North Carolina, where he studies athletes and diet.
Nieman is a vegetarian and marathon runner who sees many reasons someone would want to become vegan. Still, he had a clear answer: No.
"The only possible way it [a vegan diet] may help some people is if they're involved in a sport that takes more than an hour," Nieman stated.
"And that's only if they were on a low carb, high fat diet and switched to a vegan diet, which would mean they'd be taking in more carbs. Those people would see improvement in endurance not sports skill," he said.
Studies on the correlation between performance and vegan, vegetarian, and meat-eating diets are rather limited.
One recent study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition tracked the maximum exercise capacity of 76 recreational runners, 18 to 35 years old, for 6 months. Of the group, 26 followed a diet that included meat and plants, 26 ate a vegetarian diet, and 24 ate a vegan diet.
"The results suggest that there are no differences in exercise capacity between vegan, lacto-ovo-vegetarians and omnivorous recreational runners," the study's authors wrote.
The bottom line: "All kinds of diets are compatible with performance," Nieman said.
That's if you make healthy choices compatible with whatever diet you want to follow.
Lewin agrees that any diet needs to include wise choices if you're eating for health or performance.
"If you're living on crackers, vegan cheese, and other processed foods, it's not a good choice. For a vegan diet to be healthy and to work for the elite athlete, it has to have a strong foundation in vegetables and fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds," she told Healthline.
"The Game Changers" shares stories of both long-term health on a vegan diet and immediate improvements in performance. Bouncing back quickly between workouts is also important for professional athletes and many more casual athletes too.
According to Nieman, you've got to look at nutrition's effect on three areas to get an overall sense of how diets affect athletes: long-term, acute, and post-workout recovery.
"Long-term health is important for athletes. Plant-based dietary choices are at the heart of all healthy eating patterns," Nieman explained, whether your diet of choice be vegetarian, Mediterranean, or DASH, for example.
The 3-day period before a sports event matters a lot. Athletes should eat a high carb diet, with most carbs coming from grains and dried fruit.
"What you eat every day counts towards your health and overall performance. However, the pre-workout or prerace meal is extremely important," Lewin said.
"A high fat meal can leave you feeling sluggish and is not a good fuel for the muscles, whereas a meal with the right balance of carbohydrate and protein will digest efficiently and provide good energy," she said.
Finally, Nieman points to an area of study called metabolic recovery, or bouncing back to normal after a race or workout.
This area of study has discovered what you eat can improve your return to homeostasis. The simplest snack? Fruit. Nieman's research has found bananas, pears, and blueberries all support your body's recovery after exercise.
Fans of the vegan diet claim that if you eat vegan, it's easier to bounce back between workouts with plant protein since it's less inflammatory.
Nieman, who's currently studying athletic recovery after 90 minutes of hard exercise when someone eats pea vs. whey (dairy) protein post-workout, strongly disagrees.
"It's nonsense that plant protein will help you recover any differently," he said.
But Lewin believes the anti-inflammatory effect of plant foods help with recovery.
"With higher levels of exercise intensity you produce more free radicals and byproducts that can cause inflammation in the body. A vegan, plant-based diet rich in antioxidants can have an enormous impact on reducing inflammation," she said.
Lewin and Nieman agree on one point, though: It's not at all necessary to consume animal products to excel in pro sports.
Whether you're biking or training for a Tough Mudder, weekend warriors can experiment with vegan meals that'll fuel your body.
"The prerace meal needs to be high in carbohydrate, low in fat and fiber (which both slow down the digestive process), and can contain moderate amounts of protein," according to Lewin.
A game-changing takeaway from the film? It's not at all necessary to consume animal products to excel in pro sports.
Reposted with permission from Healthline.
From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web
Read this article:
Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You? - EcoWatch
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- Breast cancer treatment may be less effective in obese women - TheHealthSite - July 7th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The refreshing drink proven to stabilise blood sugar levels - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Five at-home exercises for ripped abs, according to a personal trainer - Daily Star - July 7th, 2020
- New national study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020