If you are overweight, you dont necessarily have to lose weight in order to live longer.
But you probably need to change your diet.
Research has shown that people with high body mass index (BMI) are at significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality than those who have lower BMI.
High BMI accounts for more than 4 million deaths annually, with more than two-thirds of those deaths due to cardiovascular disease.
This data is considered crucial since 42 percent of people in the United States are clinically obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
However, a new study led by Dr. Karl Michalsson, a researcher at Uppsala University in Sweden, concludes that people classified as obese can reduce mortality risk to the same level as people with lower BMI by switching to a healthier, Mediterranean-style diet.
The Mediterranean diet favors nutrient-dense foods such as fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, unrefined or high-fiber grains, fish, and olive oil over red meat and processed foods.
The study, published in the journal PLOS Medicine, tracked 79,003 Swedish adults with a mean baseline age of 61 for 21 years. During the study period, 30,389 people died.
Researchers found that overweight individuals who best complied with a Mediterranean diet were the least likely to die.
In fact, obese individuals with the healthiest diets were no more likely to die than those people with moderate weight and healthy diets.
Individuals with a normal BMI but unhealthy diets also had a higher mortality rate than those with moderate weight who had healthier, Mediterranean-style diets.
Diet was found to be such a strong predictor of mortality risk that the older people in the study who had moderate weight but an unhealthy diet were reported by researchers as the most likely to die during the study period even more than people with obesity who ate poorly.
My view is that it is advisable not to make recommendations based on a single study, even if it is my own, but our results indicate that eating healthy is beneficial independent of the relative body weight, at least in later years of life, Michalsson told Healthline.
While cardiovascular mortality associated with high BMI was reduced by adherence to a Mediterranean diet, it was not eliminated, researchers said.
Moreover, lower BMI did not counter the elevated cardiovascular mortality associated with an unhealthier diet.
These results indicate that adherence to healthy diets such as a Mediterranean-like diet may be a more appropriate focus than avoidance of obesity for the prevention of overall mortality, the study concluded. Nonetheless, a healthy diet may not completely counter higher [cardiovascular] mortality related with obesity.
Dr. Dexter Shurney, the chief medical officer and president of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine, told Healthline that the study findings square with the experience of treating people with type 2 diabetes, who can reverse their condition by adopting a healthier diet even without losing weight.
The same has been shown to be true of people with obesity who have received bariatric surgery, he said.
Even if you are not reaching your weight loss goals, following a healthy diet provides numerous other invaluable benefits to your entire body, Bansari Acharya, a registered dietitian and nutritionist at foodlove.com, told Healthline. A healthy diet consists of a diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables, nuts, adequate water, legumes, lentils, omega-3 fatty acids, lean protein, and low in saturated fats, trans fats, and processed foods.
Especially for cardiovascular health, the components in fruits and vegetables, most importantly, fiber and B vitamins, aid in healthy arteries by helping to ease cholesterol, she added. Additionally, obtaining an adequate amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which is found in walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and fatty fish, is crucial for cardiovascular health.
Shurney said that people who switch to a Mediterranean-style diet almost inevitably will lose weight.
If you eat more calorie-dense foods whole potatoes rather than potato chips, for example the weight loss will almost take care of itself, he said. You can actually eat more and weigh less.
Even if you dont shed the pounds, At the end of the day, the amount of weight you lose should not be the only indicator of how healthy your body is at a cellular level, said Acharya.
You could be losing weight through unhealthy means such as by severely restricting your calories, which may deplete you from essential nutrients, further harming your cardiovascular health even while losing weight, she said. However, when you incorporate healthy, nutritious, and wholesome foods in your diet, at a cellular level they are helping you regenerate healthy cells and fight off or prevent damage to existing cells.
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- How to lose those last few kilos the healthy way - Who - October 13th, 2020
- Active-living passions draw family doctor... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - October 13th, 2020
- Burn belly fat and get in shape fast by adding these workouts to your routine - TheHealthSite - October 13th, 2020
- Oregon nose tackle Jordon Scott never wavered from 2020 vision of playing for Ducks - The Register-Guard - October 13th, 2020
- Piers Morgan bashes Meghan Markle over her belief of being the most trolled person - The News International - October 13th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever in pyjamas after 3st weight loss in Happy Monday snap - The Irish Sun - October 13th, 2020
- From keto to intermittent diets: All you need to know - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Could eating more be the key to losing more weight? Here's why - Times of India - October 9th, 2020
- 6 Things you need to do every day to lose the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - October 9th, 2020
- The #1 Best Thing to Drink If You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 9th, 2020
- Most Ridiculous Diets That People Actually Try and the Reality Behind Them - Flux Magazine - October 9th, 2020
- This Berlin-based startup will help you lose weight via healthy intermittent fasting; raises 4.2M - Silicon Canals - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door - October 9th, 2020
- Fit and fabulous after 50 | Features | wfmz.com - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 9th, 2020
- Avoiding the temptation of unhealthy food Click Liverpool - Click Liverpool - October 9th, 2020
- How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling - October 9th, 2020
- What is keto diet, how does it impact your body? Is it risky? - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- American lost 55 kilograms and shared her secret of losing weight - The Times Hub - October 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Burn Some Calories With This Advanced Cardio Workout That Can Pump You Up Instantly! - NDTV - October 9th, 2020
- Do chia seeds really help with weight loss? Health benefits, nutrition facts and ways to include them in diet - Times Now - October 9th, 2020
- Dietitian, breast cancer survivor focuses on ways to avoid recurrence - Huntington Herald Dispatch - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Losing weight through dieting, exercising or combination methods - San Marcos Daily Record - October 4th, 2020
- College 101: 5 Health Reasons to Lose Weight - Daily Cardinal - October 4th, 2020
- Weight-loss tips from a woman who lost 122 pounds in her 40s - TODAY - October 4th, 2020
- HARRIET COLE: It's never too late to start losing weight - Goshen News - October 4th, 2020
- This Is The Worst Diet for Weight Loss, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- A Nutrition Expert Just Said This Is More Important Than Losing Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- Does Intuitive Eating Work? What Happened When I Tried Intuitive Eating - GoodHousekeeping.com - October 4th, 2020
- Weight Training Helped This Guy Lose 230 Pounds and Get Ripped in the Process - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- What You Should Know About How PCOS and Weight Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 4th, 2020
- All For Nothing? Top 4 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Any Weight - Be Global Fashion Network - October 4th, 2020
- The herbal supplement shown to boost sexual performance and encourage weight loss - Express - October 4th, 2020
- Foods that will help control appetite and reduce belly fat - The Indian Express - October 4th, 2020
- Where You Carry Body Fat May Affect How Long You Live - The New York Times - October 4th, 2020
- Study reveals enhancing blood sugar control boosts brain health for people with type 2 diabetes - Devdiscourse - October 4th, 2020
- This 80-Somethings Couple Share Their Secrets to Longevity - The Beet - October 4th, 2020
- Qualifier Trevisan's career takes off with stunning win - Yahoo Sports - October 4th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting doesn't help you lose weight, UCSF study suggests - CNBC - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - The Union Leader - September 30th, 2020
- Boris Johnson is 'fit as a butcher's dog' in need of walkies but heading in right direction - iNews - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020