Men tend not to want to know about or address male reproductive diseases or diseases of the urinary tract, but it is really important that they do, as it can significantly improve their health and even save their lives.
Here are some issues men and boys should pay special attention to:
At birth, all boys should be checked for the presence of both testicles within the scrotum, and the location of the urethra (the opening that urine comes out of) at the tip of the penis. The absence of a testicle within the scrotum is called an undescended testis and poses a risk for the development of cancer of the testis later in life.
Boys are also at risk of testicular torsion, where the testicle twists on its stalk and is thus deprived of oxygen and nutrients and begins to die. This is more common during puberty. If your child has a sudden onset of severe testicular pain, typically waking him from sleep, it needs to be treated as an emergency. The testicle is potentially salvageable if operated on within six hours. The likelihood of salvage decreases sharply after this.
Males can live with a single testicle and have normal sexual function and fertility. However, it will require protection of the remaining testicle during contact sports, or the insertion of a testicular prosthesis, as it is not easy for boys to deal with the psychological and aesthetic impact of having a single testicle.
From the age of 15 to 35, testicular cancer is a risk and a potential threat to life. A simple testicular self-examination on a monthly basis can lead to early detection of testicular cancer. Feel for any hard lumps, nodules, or smooth rounded masses or any change in the size, shape, or consistency of your testicles, and immediately consult a doctor.
Ritual, religious and cultural circumcisions are common in our population. When not done correctly, urologists are often called in to deal with the complications, which can be extremely severe and life-threatening. Circumcision in the newborn stages of a boys life has been shown to lower the incidence of penile cancer, as has the daily washing of the area of the penis that is covered by the foreskin.
Male medical circumcision for the prevention of HIV transmission only works when used in conjunction with other strategies to decrease HIV rates. It does not work on its own. Risky behavior, even with circumcision will lead to high infection rates. In addition, unprotected sex leads to the transmission of other sexually transmitted infections, in particular gonorrhea, typically known as drop, which often leads to urethral stricture disease in young men at the peak of their lives, which can impair fertility and erections.
Around the world, mens sperm counts are decreasing. Some known causes include endocrine-disrupting chemicals. This problem is likely to increase in the future. Its important for men to consult a doctor if there are no children born from a relationship as too often women are blamed.
Erectile dysfunction in young men is less likely but possible. It may be accompanied by premature ejaculation. The condition must be thoroughly assessed by a doctor without delay, as some causes are potentially life-threatening.
At age 40, screening for prostate cancer is important. This is especially true if you have a family history of prostate cancer. The risk is also higher if you are African, as prostate cancer is more prevalent in the African population.
As men age, they undergo a physiological change called andropause (Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome). It is the male equivalent of women undergoing menopause. This is due to a natural decrease in testosterone production with increasing age. Symptoms include decreased libido, depressed mood, and cognitive decline. Depending on the blood levels for the testosterone and the patients symptoms, it is possible to treat the patient with supplemental testosterone.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is the enlargement of the prostate gland. This increase in size can decrease the diameter of the urethra. This can then lead to various urinary symptoms. Such symptoms include needing to urinate more often, a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder, or feeling as though one cannot hold the urine.
In later stages, this could lead to the formation of urinary stones in the bladder, recurrent urinary tract infections, blood in the urine, and even kidney failure and death. Thus, symptoms of an enlarged prostate must be investigated.
Prostate cancer is the most common solid organ cancer in all males, typically in men older than 50 years. It peaks in men in their 60s and 70s. Prostate cancer can be managed or cured if caught early.
Dr. Kgomotso Mathabe, MBChB; FCUrol is a healthcare practitioner specializing in Urology. She has a special interest in female and pediatric urology, especially incontinence.
Dr. Mathabe is currently Acting Head of the Department of Urology at the University of Pretoria (UP) and Steve Biko Hospital
Go here to see the original:
Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017